Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

99% of the content in PS:T can be done without fighting. It's kind of the point of the game.

Yea, but then it is just endless shuffling around and clicking on things. If I could mod the move speed up three or four times I might give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Cephas posted:

NWN is such a janky, ugly game that I don't think an enhanced edition could really do anything to make it much more appealing than just playing the original. The only thing I can think of is adding skill checks from the expansions (crafting, bluff, intimidate, horseback riding) to the earlier campaigns, or fixing some of the hard-coded bugs like Cleave and Circle Kick making you weaker at high levels because the animations take too long so you actually lose attacks per round. And I guess including all of Bioware's "premium mods" for free; I think those might actually be pretty difficult to access any more.

what's extra funny is BG2 is the baseline: a janky, ugly game

(i love the poo poo outta bg2 regardless, obvs)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
PS:T would've been better as either an adventure game or a visual novel.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but then it is just endless shuffling around and clicking on things. If I could mod the move speed up three or four times I might give it another go.

Hold shift to run.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That or just enable auto-run in the settings. There's literally one spot where walking makes any difference and it's in the first section

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

set the max framerate to 60 in the configuration

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The key is that any/all mods for the original game will work in the EE.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They say that will be the case, but that's why it looks identical right now. They've opened forums for features that people want to see added.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gender illusionist posted:

what's extra funny is BG2 is the baseline: a janky, ugly game
It's a timeless kind of ugliness.

NWN is just a disaster area aesthetically.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
BG2 isn't ugly though? On the contrary, it's a very pretty game. clunky as gently caress, sure, but the hand painted backrounds and UI graphics are still very pretty.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the biggest deal for me with the IE games is that the party pathing can be really bad. Also PoE has spoiled me with the ability to speed up the gameplay for when you're running across town.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IE backgrounds were nice but the things on top of them (sprites, unit circles, the fog of war) not so much

Also these days you're often either stuck viewing them more closely than they should be and they look worse for it, or you're playing a game for ants

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

IE backgrounds were nice but the things on top of them (sprites, unit circles, the fog of war) not so much
eh, compared to the competition at the time BG2 was among the prettiest. hell, it took 3d games a decade to start looking anywhere near as pretty as isometric games, and one could argue that they still don't. nowadays it's more a matter of lousy art direction rather than technical restrictions.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also these days you're often either stuck viewing them more closely than they should be and they look worse for it, or you're playing a game for ants

you can hardly blame the game for that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The paperdolls for the playercharacters were also pretty loving ugly.

But no, NWN isn't a pretty game aside from the spell effects.

Barkskin not withstanding. But the hosed up thing is that the art assets in base NWN still cost the equivalent of a small nation, the budgets for Baldurs Gate 1&2 combined.

He revealed on the stream that the cost of upgrading the assets across the board would be similar to launching a mission to Mars.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
how are they going to handle Aurora engine running like poo poo generally on modern computers

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pierre McGuire posted:

how are they going to handle Aurora engine running like poo poo generally on modern computers

make it not run like poo poo because they have the source code

thats the entire point

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
They obviously won't do this but I've always wanted to play NWN with Elder Scrolls controls. Sure would beat any of the control schemes the game shipped with.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Neverwinter Nights has fantastic single player user content as well. Some of the best single player RPG experiences I’ve had were with user made modules. I would argue that Tales of Arterra takes it main plot from Baldur’s Gate but is better (granted I played both many many years ago). Of course, NWN is on GOG and perfectly playable on Windows 10. But perhaps this will revive the modding scene.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honestly if I were Beamdog I'd completely replace the UI entirely instead of scale it up for modern resolutions. I always thought it was less functional and more of a pain to use than the Infinity Engine games. Having actual party support would be nice too, especially for single player focused campaigns though that's much more unlikely.

And yeah, graphically the game looks like poo poo. Not sure what Beamdog can do to improve that and the new postprocessing effects the Enhanced Edition will add might make it look tacky and jarring too so they need to be careful of that.

On the plus side for Beamdog, they can probably make their own expansions for a decent price a pop for NWN Enhanced Edition to flex their skills and maybe tie in to the Baldur's Gate 3 they want to make.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it shouldn't be too hard to add full party support. depends on how much time and money they're planning on spending on the game.

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
Is there anything good to buy early on in BG1? My party is level 3/4 and I have a Cleric/Ranger, Dorn, Jaheira, Neera, Kivan, and Imoen.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Plain Bagels posted:

Is there anything good to buy early on in BG1? My party is level 3/4 and I have a Cleric/Ranger, Dorn, Jaheira, Neera, Kivan, and Imoen.

potion case and spells from high hedge.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You might want to buy the composite longbow +1 for Kivan at the Feldpost Inn in Beregost. Speaking of Kivan, are you hurrying to the bandit camp? He bails on you pretty fast if you don't in the enhanced edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plain Bagels posted:

Plenty. Check out High Hedge (one map west of Beregost), and the smithy in Beregost. There's also some good stuff at the carnival near Nashkel.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Plain Bagels posted:

Check out High Hedge. Lots of good gear for sale there, including stuff you'll use to the end of the game.

Also check the arms dealer in Beregost for gear that may be closer to your current price point, but which will be outclassed.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the necklace of missiles aka the one gift lost from the carnival near nashkel is a pretty good item. has 25 charges and fires a 6d6 fireball. also the shield amulet from the same store is good, has 50 charges nad casts the spell shield on the target.

thunderhammer smithy has a lot of +1 items that are very useful early game. most of the good stuff is really expensive.

Plain Bagels
Sep 13, 2008
I murdered the High Hedge guy earlier in the playthrough :negative: I ended up buying the two necklaces from the carnival, but they only have 10 charges? I probably won't make it to the bandit camp with Kivan; I just haven't decided whom I'm going to replace him with.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

They obviously won't do this but I've always wanted to play NWN with Elder Scrolls controls. Sure would beat any of the control schemes the game shipped with.

The first witcher is kind-of like that, it runs on the NWN1 engine.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Plain Bagels posted:

I murdered the High Hedge guy earlier in the playthrough :negative: I ended up buying the two necklaces from the carnival, but they only have 10 charges? I probably won't make it to the bandit camp with Kivan; I just haven't decided whom I'm going to replace him with.

If you're looking for an archer you can replace him with Coran a bit after the Bandit Camp.

You can recharge items by selling them and buying stealing :ninja: them back. Make sure the merchant doesn't have another one in stock as you usually won't get a full charge if that is the case.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

There actually was a mod that attempted to create first-person mode by manipulating the camera's perspective. The problem is that while Neverwinter Nights technically supports WASD movement, using it makes your character move with tank controls like in a Silent Hill game. It was still kind of neat to me as a kid to see the game from a halfling's perspective (lots of grass in your eyes).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Neverwinter Nights has fantastic single player user content as well. Some of the best single player RPG experiences I’ve had were with user made modules. I would argue that Tales of Arterra takes it main plot from Baldur’s Gate but is better (granted I played both many many years ago). Of course, NWN is on GOG and perfectly playable on Windows 10. But perhaps this will revive the modding scene.

No it's not.

The GoG version has a number of core bugs that make it so you can't actually complete either expansion. It's also heavily broken in a lot of key ways on Win 10, in the form of the water bug, the character creation bug, and the metallic skin bug. There are fixes on the forums for some of it, but it only fixes that stuff partially, you'll still meet a lot of NPCs that just don't exist in the game world because they aren't rendering, or people that appear as all metal in the game world. On top of many water bodies just not showing up.

The fixes people have brought up also don't work on the expansions/most modules, only the base game.

I posted about this way back in the thread and got told this stuff was fixed, so I grabbed GoG NWN and tried it out. And yeah the CC/intro bits were fixed, but the longer I played I eventually hit points where the game was just madly broken. And I couldn't beat either expansion due to constant crashes in certain zones, NPCs being invisible and not targetable, etc etc.

This is on top of other weird issues, like it not playing the sound half the time, or playing parts of the sound but not others.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
NWN1 is trash.
Some of the user-created stuff was good, but who cares at this point? There are so many games coming out now, nobody should feel the need to dig through tons of garbage just to find something worthwhile.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I think most games coming out now are trash, which is why I'm still playing old poo poo like the IE games.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What are the best pre bg1 rpgs? (As someone who likes ie games a lot). Hard mode: not dnd games

I'm trying to play darklands and it's maybe the most ambitious game I've ever played. I know there's a manual but not knowing what's going on is half the fun.

It's only when I go back and see what existed before bg that I realize how insanely revolutionary bg was.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
For me, BG1/Fallout were right about the point where user interface's became good enough for me to tolerate playing them. The UI is the absolute go/nogo thing for me, I can overlook a lot of flaws, but if I find the game annoying to interact with I am going to drop it right away.

I think I only made it halfway through character creation in Darklands before I realize that I didn't have it in me to read that font for another minute.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

What are the best pre bg1 rpgs? (As someone who likes ie games a lot). Hard mode: not dnd games

I'm trying to play darklands and it's maybe the most ambitious game I've ever played. I know there's a manual but not knowing what's going on is half the fun.

It's only when I go back and see what existed before bg that I realize how insanely revolutionary bg was.

Probably Might and Magic 3-6.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's not hard mode at all. Fallout 2 came out a few months before BG1.

Before that? Probably Betrayal at Kondor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ultima 6 or 7 probably.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Final Fantasy VI? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For an oldass game I remember really liking Betrayal at Krondor