Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

Current guesses for their black friday / anniversary week sale. (in millions).

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
big nipples big life - 1.7
Zzr - 4.2

Did i miss anyone? Keep them coming.

Prizes are random games from Humble Bundles. Everyone is getting something at this rate.

They've squeezed the backers hard but if the base building ship is in then there's more blood in that stone yet.

$2.8 Million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

The Titanic posted:

You better put up double fences, because when they clip through the first fence by accident they’ll just get forever stuck in the second layer. It will be a gory reminder, as you weed your way through firing nipple jets as citizens ask you to free them.

Since all moderation is done by in game lawyers, it will be a while before they find your secret parcel of hard won/bought land.

cant wait for the hackers to get all the land like archage and see the qq. I bought this land it is mine!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Calling an easy and unchallenged victory for my boy Quavers and me!

Also, 3.0 might not get realeased this november.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
Zzr - 4.2

Prizes are random games from Humble Bundles. Everyone is getting something at this rate.

I'll go for a 5.5m

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

SomethingJones posted:

Prizes:

First Runner Up - Steam key for Line of Defense
Second Runner Up - Steam key for Line of Defense
Winner - No Steam key for Line of Defense

I only have a tenkeyless keyboard, i might not have all the keys required to play the game

to save press num3+print+F5+left crtl

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

EightAce posted:

...death by a thousand Coutts , incoming :(

yes YES

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

AutismVaccine posted:

Also, 3.0 might not get realeased this november.

:eyepop:

Crazy if true.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

EightAce posted:

You have my attention.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
Zzr - 4.2

3.3 for me

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Their behaviour is governed by a simple rule, but like single-celled lifeforms and early computer programs, the interaction of large numbers of iterations of a simple rule can produce the illusion of complexity.

Essentially, there are two categories in a serious cultist's mind. GOOD and BAD. Star Citizen is GOOD. Derek Smart is BAD. These two categories are ironclad and never the twain shall meet.

CIG haven't yet found a way to rewrite basic language comprehension, so most other concepts at least start with their natural meaning in normal language...until the Simple Rule takes over.

The word "scam" is a BAD thing. But saying "Star Citizen is a scam" makes the cultist lock up; Star Citizen can only be GOOD. Things of the Smart are BAD., therefore anything BAD must be associated with Derek Smart even if CIG are doing it. Otherwise the cultist's brain throws an exception and that hurts.

So Derek must be scamming, because scamming is in the BAD category and Derek is in the BAD category. So the cultist shouts as loudly and as often as possible that Derek is the real scammer because otherwise the cognitive dissonance hurts too much. The most flimsy and ridiculous evidence is marshalled to support this, and other cultists flock to agree because that way they can reassure one another that the rightful order is being upheld. This pattern extends to all possible BAD concepts, like refunds and awkward questions and filthy leavers. It's why the cultists are so obsessed with saying that refunds are actually people scamming CIG. They can understand refunds are BAD and scams are BAD and Derek is BAD, and all these concepts blend together because their critical thinking skills have atrophied so badly they genuinely can't tell the difference anymore. Someone who wants a refund instantly goes into the BAD category and must be a scammer and a goon and a shill and a Derek alt and a spy for Big Publishing and probably a terrorist and a communist too. That's why you get these ridiculous frothing accusations aimed at Derek that read like the citizen has just banged their keyboard and written down every possible bad thing they could come up with. They genuinely have just written down a list of evil-sounding concepts, and in their minds Derek is all of them at once.

This goes the other way as well; it fuels the dreams. Star Citizen is GOOD, and all the ideas of GOOD in the cultist's head get mixed up with it and become the huge dreaming memeplex we're so familiar with. 1000-player dogfights, handheld cargo, massive capital ship battles and total physical realism are GOOD so SC must have them because it too is GOOD and therefore all GOOD things at once.

I honestly think if Derek was struck by a bolt of inspiration and coded an amazing 1000-player capital ship battles patch for Line of Defence , the cultists would actually start claiming it was really in Star Citizen or Derek had somehow stolen CIG's codebase, just to avoid having to think Derek can do a thing that fell into the GOOD category.

Not every Star Citizen has fallen this far, but the really nasty ones have.

You can model this thread along these lines too, to be honest. Our attitude to Sandi and Chris in particular.

This is a most interesting post. You might be on to something

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Well, well, well... This should be very interesting to keep an eye on.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

no_recall posted:

I'll bite: 4.6 millions.

Edit: didn't see 4.5 was already "taken", so increased a bit.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 22, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

EightAce posted:

I've been wondering how that loan's been going.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

no_recall posted:

normally I would expect CIG to take the high road of "Oh this is just for our super-backers, we don't expect all players to buy land" so I'm going to guess similar numbers to the pioneer sale.

But its also possible they try to spin it as "Can't afford the pioneer but want land? Here's a budget option" which is how the lore post sounds to me. Won't work as well as they're hoping, citizens want 3.0.

1.69 million

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

internet comments posted:

I have a friend who is friends with people in the industry in the area where RSI operates who are friends with RSI employees and even worked at the studio where the mocap work they did was done. All I feel comfortable saying is I hope what they are saying is not true. They are very pessimistic not in a "I want this to fail" kind of way but a "this will hurt the industry and I’m worried for my friends" kind of way. I wont go into details as it’s all second hand and while I believe what they were saying is truthful, I can’t fact check it, but their concern was very disconcerting.

internet comments posted:

Hence my caveat about not going into details because if what they said was true it’s very bad news indeed but there’s no way for me to effectively confirm it beyond rumour with a better source than Derek Smart. The people I talked to via a person I know in the industry and maintains relationships with people in the industry were concerned on how it’d impact the local developer community.

There is already massive drop off in effectiveness of crowd funding of video games and that was one of their points, the other was given some of the fumbles that they claim were made it could lead to many people who they are friends with losing their jobs and having a detrimental impact on the local community in Manchester. It’s not a huge community and when one studio goes that impacts others. This also impacts the chances of the British government provided incentives to video game developers.

You also have to understand CIG put money into their Manchester studio (about 15 million pounds employing 160 people) but that came with tax incentives from the UK government. Look at how the Rhode Island government behaved once Studio 38 went belly up. If CIG blows this there’s a good chance that it will adversely impact other people looking to build their studios. These are secondary impacts that people are concerned about. This isn’t them afraid for themselves, this is them afraid for the long term longevity of the industry in their country and the people they know working at that particular employer.

You may not see how it hurts developers but I’m willing to take the developers statements at face value and concede I likely don’t know near as much about the industry in general or the industry in their city as they do. Like I said, I really hope they’re wrong and they were certainly not coming at it from a "they’re going to fry aspect" it was statements of genuine concern for their friends which made it all the more disconcerting. It’s one thing when a person hates on Roberts and his family, those are just trolls. It’s another thing when a person who works in the industry is worried about friends. That’s a different vibe entirely.

Star Citizen: Concern was Disconcerting

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Actually, I don't think The Titanic WAS the first one to call them selling planets, sorry.

After all, this colony isn't going to fund itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpl2ZwT4rq0

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

SomethingJones- 4.2 million space dollah

They'll break 4 million easy, I have seen Crobbler's Turbulent's vision

CR vision is game as a service where everything is for sale but there is no game. It is one hell of an idea thinking about it. It is well beyond anything the AAA games came up with hell they still deliver a game.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Virtual Captain posted:

Repair scaffolds? link please.

Closest I know is:

Could probably be on The Tracker more clearly. "Realistic ship damage" has more to do with how damage is applied than repair mechanics and visuals.

Miller ERS, described in the Crucible stretch goal: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

quote:

The Crucible is also part of a larger planned repair system. For larger project, independent sections of support struts and drive units, called the Miller ERS (External Repair Structure), can be locked together to form a sort of scaffolding around a damaged starship, the next best thing to an orbital drydock. A standard ERS unit includes a small drive, thrusters, magnetic attach points and modular hardpoints for mounting tractor beams, repair tools or weapons. ERS segments each have a code defining their shape (P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.) with the multiple layouts allowing extensive zero-gravity construction as necessary. In the case of damaged capital ships, like the Navy’s Bengal carriers, hundreds of ERS units might be formed into a latticework serviced by a dozen or more Crucibles.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

It's actually annoying me that I didn't see any of this before now. They've had an (obvious) paid shill on the reddit one year ago, testing the water for paid real estate. That didn't come out of the clear blue. The idea of real estate was already planted in 2014 in that 10FTC and this whole thing was about selling ships, vehicles and real estate, shops, clothes, weapons, armour right from the start.

AP posted:

Any idea when the beach penthouses are going on sale and if there are any special contents/buildings insurance benefits for buying in first?

Jul 16, 2014 10:05

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

HANG ON A MINUTE

Is this a completely made up fake conversation testing the waters for this poo poo a year ago, or have I completely lost the plot
The quotes are all from the same poster 'participation ribbon' https://www.reddit.com/user/participation_ribbon

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ci7eh/i_want_to_buy_some_virtual_real_estate/
(1 year ago)

CR: "or you know it'll be a PENTHOUSE APARTMENT or something with a view"
CR: "we'll have some new AREAS and PLANETS that people discover as they PUSH OUT"

What a load of poo poo (imo), there is no way I'm buying that's a real backer, not in a million years.

Ooooh, you might have a live fake there.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha ha. Okay, well trucutru did already point out I was incorrect. And this might come off as rolling with the punches, but I am tickled that you are telling me to shut the gently caress up.

We're on SA. It was in jest, with heavily laden sarcasm. No offense intended. I forgot the smiley :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Contingency posted:

Miller ERS, described in the Crucible stretch goal: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

The Titanic posted:

Haha... ok... I think I found it:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15088-Q-A-Anvil-Crucible

It’s the ship everybody loves and is no doubt infinitely familiar with: The Crucible repair ship.

Somewhere along the way people got to talking about how multiples of these can repair big ships, naturally they said “well probably!” and thus the whole scaffolding thing came about. It may not have been exactly called scaffolding, but there were ships with a bigger ship in them, and repair arms, and... heck guys don’t you remember how awesome the crucible was/is and is almost totally in the game?!?! ;)

Thanks commandos. I wanna get these and a few other things added today or tomorrow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

For maximum fidelitiousness wouldn't you be looking at days/weeks to repair damage like that? What part of that is fun?

Of course it's an absolute shoe in for "wait 1 week for repairs to complete OR pay 100 CrobblerCoins to get right back in the action!"

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Put me down for 6 million. Calling it now. Faith is strong.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another day, another red X. Chris looks at the calendar on his wall and counts the ever decreasing number of days he has left until a date circled in red. A date that refuses to be delayed by any amount of bugs, blockers, tasks, or refactors.

Too few days left, he thinks. Why won't they just give me a little extra time, why won't they just listen to reason, why won't they just see what I'm trying to do here.

But The Bank will not budge.

With a sigh, he gets up and walks over to a glass box mounted to the wall, and whispers to himself "I guess this is the emergency," before breaking the glass. He pulls out an envelope, cutting his finger on a shard as he does so.

He opens the envelope and unfolds its contents, and a drop of blood falls onto the paper. For a moment he looks at the drop, and thinks how much he has sacrificed. But it doesn't matter now, for this, this is the jpeg that will save the dream.

My guess is six million. And Chris, you can crobble another old sci-fi IP with my guess by adding bionics to the store. Augmenting your commando should be good for another few hundred thou, I think.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ComfyPants posted:

Robot butlers: When there's just not enough hours in the day to do space laundry or make space food, a robot butler will come in very handy.

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of was that they would sell a lot more of these if they were robot maid/sexbot combos?
I might have seen too much of the more crazy backers :ohdear:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I wonder if it secretly kills these guys to know that Derek Smart retired off of the sales from the multiple games he released without having to scam money from his fans.

They may not be the best games in the world, but he made it as an indie developer. And he did it with a clear conscience. Outside of being naughty on the internet to people. But even then he did it AS Derek Smart himself, not some internet alias. So he’s braver than I am. I’d be creeped out.

Nah, that sort of thing doesn't compute in their broken brains. They're more upset about their lives less ordinary, and just can't fathom the fact that they will never - ever - accomplish a fraction of what I have in the 30 yrs I've been in gaming.

----------------

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Nah, that sort of thing doesn't compute in their broken brains. They're more upset about their lives less ordinary, and just can't fathom the fact that they will never - ever - accomplish a fraction of what I have in the 30 yrs I've been in gaming.

You tell 'em D!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
Zzr - 4.2

I'm just going to be lazy and say 4,444,444

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16270-Claiming-Space-The-Race-For-Land

Claiming Space: The Race for Land

blah blah blah blah

Recently, there has been a major push to encourage the settlement and development of the Empire’s frontier. As part of this initiative, the PDB has been making additional parcels of land accessible to the public for purchase. It is believed by policymakers that as sectors become more developed, they likewise become more secure. Statistics from recent studies show that it is significantly harder for outlaws and Vanduul raiding parties to gain purchase in UEE-controlled systems when there are settlers and companies with vested interests in ensuring the protection of that territory. Combine this with Consolidated Outland’s recent introduction of a self-contained colonization platform, and many are expecting to see a new golden age of land development in the second half of the 30th century.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7el28z/claiming_space_the_race_for_land/

So... who called this first?

We all saw this coming a mile away. It was bloody obvious when they decided to prioritize barren moons ahead of actual gameplay mechanics.

----------------

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett - 3.2
AutismVaccine - 3.7
Quavers - 3.7
Goredema - 9
VictorianQueerLit - 4.35
Zzr - 4.2

0.7 million. CIG delenda est

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

It's all laid out plainly in his November cipher.

Remember that time in the thread with the guy with a fleet of fake starships and $3k still in this trainwreck, thought people were interested enough in his opinion to crack a dumb code?

When the answer is "I'm really dumb" you don't need to show the working out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Omg I think I did. :aaa:

I called this when I realized they couldn’t make their space game, and secretly switched to making an FPS game because it’d be easier.

But probably Derek. :D

Shocking absolutely no one.

Saw this coming a mile away when they prioritized barren moons & useless land vehicles over actual game play in a SPACE COMBAT GAME.

----------------

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

D_Smart posted:

We all saw this coming a mile away. It was bloody obvious when they decided to prioritize barren moons ahead of actual gameplay mechanics.

It's going to be Monopoly in space, isn't it?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Golli posted:

CIG is like an ADD kid in a butterfly sanctuary.

They are always changing course to chase what seems to be the current moneymaking game model.

MMO's are popular, let's make an MMO.
Used cars are valuable, let's enable a used car marketplace.
Wait - hold on - now FPS is popular and MMOs are on the decline. Let's make an FPS instead.
Lootboxes make loads of money. Let's make trading boxes central to gameplay.
Real Estate never goes down in value, let's sell land.

By never having a real vision for a game, just a movie idea, they are always going to be well behind the curve and never actually complete any gameplay component that holds up against a game that has an idea and executes on that idea.

But as long as he gets to make the annual installment of The Making of Star Citizen (still in production per IMDB), he is happy.

The only thing that will put an end to it is a bank (or other emotionally disinterested investment group) going "gently caress you, Chris. Where's my money?".

I guess a class action suit would be theoretically possible, but the dollars are too low for most lawyers to deal with it, and the payout to citizens would be so small it would be tough to get a class certified.

There can be no class action lawsuit, unless a judge throws out the entire TOS which already has an airtight arbitration clause in it.

----------------

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391Sms9Grhs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Posting stuff that makes me laugh from one of the old threads.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=733gk4k0eXs

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

Prizes:

First Runner Up - Steam key for Line of Defense
Second Runner Up - Steam key for Line of Defense
Winner - No Steam key for Line of Defense

Wow that will be 300% more people playing!

What does last place get?