Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

If SC comes out as it appears to be heading, even if it were fully functional I can’t see droves of people anymore. Even barring the toxic community, manually loading cargo boxes is going to kill people alone.

The very concept of Star Citizen is a boring game with badly planned mechanics to get people interested. :(

There is this and also the slam dunk that Chris 'the vision' Roberts is unwittingly creating in not having a release date, release dates are soooo conventional, you know? gently caress that! So yeah instead there will be no big fanfare release, just a steady piss like trickle of hapless twats dribbling in bit by bit forever then wandering back off

Edit catte:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Bright like the triangle shirtwaist factory fire

You should probate yourself for that one.
Workers burning to death because they were locked inside the factory is no joke.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

We're not doing this anymore.

We did this once a while back, collectively decided it's obnoxious, and that we'll never do it again.

Either post what you want to say, or don't.

Have to agree here. I’m sure there may be some goon trying to figure it out maybe, but I don’t even care. It’s like I don’t even want to bother seeing people even picking on it because these cipher things are so corny and dull.

If you want to make a post, just make a post. Even if you had the most insider information that was literally whispered to you in confidence by Chris Roberts, nobody really cares. It’ll be funny to talk about and laugh at, but just get to the funny part quicker.

Chances are high though that you’ve just ciphered something really dumb, and you’re waiting for your big “can’t believe you guys went so far to figure this out lol you’re pathetic”, and you can have it.

But it’s so corny that I almost wish you’d just make your own thread with your super duper cipher game and go lord it over the one or two people who will care. :)

Anyhow, that’s all all say and my useless opinion. Carry on! :)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think your cat is sick :ohdear:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Awesome! posted:

i think your cat is sick :ohdear:

I am at that big demon dude at Lazerus Labs now and I can't do it but I don't even care because of how much fun it is

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Quavers posted:

Q: What’s improved significantly from the first 3.0 patch to the current one?
A: Traversal. In the first 3.0.0 patch, I had a tough time just getting to the moons. Now that we have ~1000m/s AB cruise on most ships and buoys are plentiful and much closer to the moons, traversal is easier now. Most multi-crew ships have enough quantum fuel to travel for hours, while the single-seater ships have enough QF to reach Levski and traverse the moons. However, our ships don’t have enough fuel to reach the other planets. Hurston is over 32 million kilometers away and ArcCorp is over 42 million km away. MicroTech was removed. Delamar, and its landing zone Levski, is the furthest moon we can reach at about 800,000 km away.

Q: If you weren’t in Evocati Test Flight what would you be doing to pass the time during the Great Drought?
A: I’d be playing Space Engineers, Stellaris, Empyrion, Astroneer, Hellion, Elite Dangerous, or my old copy of Freelancer. I certainly wouldn’t be spending my free time being salty on the internet.
Oh no, Archerplutladus is gone! How will we visit such a unique and original place now?

thatguy posted:

I'll help.

They literally just combined the two.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizens Shrink Goals carry on at full speed

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it does beg the question of where MtG booster packs fall on that scale

If you were so minded I'm pretty sure you could make a pretty close comparison to scratchcards like the ones you can buy at newsagents.

Man, if this leads to this Teen rated Disney licensed spin off getting an Mature rating that would be funny. If if does get regulated as gambling then it will certainly impact the rating. Then the government would ask for its cut. As long as it still makes money nothing much would change except that I think. Publishers will just end up crying in their cereals a little.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How will this affect the price of my virtual TF2 hats?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Combat Theory posted:

The State of Hawaii announces action to address predatory practices at Electronic Arts and other companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwfRuL4os

you ever noticed how hawaii is always leading the nation on progressive issues? the fact it's the state with the lowest amount of white people per capita really lends itself to the whole 'white people are the devil' theory

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

If SC comes out as it appears to be heading, even if it were fully functional I can’t see droves of people anymore. Even barring the toxic community, manually loading cargo boxes is going to kill people alone.

The very concept of Star Citizen is a boring game with badly planned mechanics to get people interested. :(

Oh, for sure. The current path of Star Citizen (lol) is total poo poo and goons aren't going to come out of the woodwork to "play".

I was referencing the Literal Dream Version that people are throwing thousands of dollars at; if that game were actually produced, the swarm would emerge again.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16270-Claiming-Space-The-Race-For-Land

Claiming Space: The Race for Land

blah blah blah blah

Recently, there has been a major push to encourage the settlement and development of the Empire’s frontier. As part of this initiative, the PDB has been making additional parcels of land accessible to the public for purchase. It is believed by policymakers that as sectors become more developed, they likewise become more secure. Statistics from recent studies show that it is significantly harder for outlaws and Vanduul raiding parties to gain purchase in UEE-controlled systems when there are settlers and companies with vested interests in ensuring the protection of that territory. Combine this with Consolidated Outland’s recent introduction of a self-contained colonization platform, and many are expecting to see a new golden age of land development in the second half of the 30th century.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7el28z/claiming_space_the_race_for_land/

So... who called this first?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DLC purchases for real money, and in game ability to buy items (but not stuff being sold for real money).

Moving a box.

An FPS level with terrain.

Um... ok. This stuff has definitely never been done before. I can’t wait until CIG makes these things possible for the first time ever. :allears:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I think the entire thread called land grabbing as early as 2016

it's really not a surprising move since turbulent was in charge of the funding strategy for both star citizen and shroud of the avatar

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quavers posted:

Everyone

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and the titanic had a pretty detailed post about it months and months ago that really stood out, but it's been a joke since at least last year

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Percelus posted:

you ever noticed how hawaii is always leading the nation on progressive issues? the fact it's the state with the lowest amount of white people per capita really lends itself to the whole 'white people are the devil' theory
It's because they have the best flag.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

wow, 100!

Why it’s enough to fully man a big capital ship or two and maybe even a few fighters! What a super convenient number of players to suddenly be able to fully support!

Wow if only there was some ship that was going to be on sale that could take advantage of these new player counts! Like maybe a super expensive capital ship!

If only! :homebrew:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

I think the entire thread called land grabbing as early as 2016

it's really not a surprising move since turbulent was in charge of the funding strategy for both star citizen and shroud of the avatar

I'm surprised the thread doesn't pay more attention to Turbulent, frankly. They're responsible for a good portion of this excellent mess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Percelus posted:

Not only that, they hate white people. You get looks and shoves if you're away from the tourist area.

I couldn't even get mad when I was there. Pretty loving polite given we showed up and poo poo on their island paradise.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Loxbourne posted:

Their behaviour is governed by a simple rule, but like single-celled lifeforms and early computer programs, the interaction of large numbers of iterations of a simple rule can produce the illusion of complexity.

Essentially, there are two categories in a serious cultist's mind. GOOD and BAD. Star Citizen is GOOD. Derek Smart is BAD. These two categories are ironclad and never the twain shall meet.

CIG haven't yet found a way to rewrite basic language comprehension, so most other concepts at least start with their natural meaning in normal language...until the Simple Rule takes over.

The word "scam" is a BAD thing. But saying "Star Citizen is a scam" makes the cultist lock up; Star Citizen can only be GOOD. Things of the Smart are BAD., therefore anything BAD must be associated with Derek Smart even if CIG are doing it. Otherwise the cultist's brain throws an exception and that hurts.

So Derek must be scamming, because scamming is in the BAD category and Derek is in the BAD category. So the cultist shouts as loudly and as often as possible that Derek is the real scammer because otherwise the cognitive dissonance hurts too much. The most flimsy and ridiculous evidence is marshalled to support this, and other cultists flock to agree because that way they can reassure one another that the rightful order is being upheld. This pattern extends to all possible BAD concepts, like refunds and awkward questions and filthy leavers. It's why the cultists are so obsessed with saying that refunds are actually people scamming CIG. They can understand refunds are BAD and scams are BAD and Derek is BAD, and all these concepts blend together because their critical thinking skills have atrophied so badly they genuinely can't tell the difference anymore. Someone who wants a refund instantly goes into the BAD category and must be a scammer and a goon and a shill and a Derek alt and a spy for Big Publishing and probably a terrorist and a communist too. That's why you get these ridiculous frothing accusations aimed at Derek that read like the citizen has just banged their keyboard and written down every possible bad thing they could come up with. They genuinely have just written down a list of evil-sounding concepts, and in their minds Derek is all of them at once.

This goes the other way as well; it fuels the dreams. Star Citizen is GOOD, and all the ideas of GOOD in the cultist's head get mixed up with it and become the huge dreaming memeplex we're so familiar with. 1000-player dogfights, handheld cargo, massive capital ship battles and total physical realism are GOOD so SC must have them because it too is GOOD and therefore all GOOD things at once.

I honestly think if Derek was struck by a bolt of inspiration and coded an amazing 1000-player capital ship battles patch for Line of Defence , the cultists would actually start claiming it was really in Star Citizen or Derek had somehow stolen CIG's codebase, just to avoid having to think Derek can do a thing that fell into the GOOD category.

Not every Star Citizen has fallen this far, but the really nasty ones have.

You can model this thread along these lines too, to be honest. Our attitude to Sandi and Chris in particular.

Great post, friend!

And fabulous self inspection too. Everybody here is just as bad as anybody else about going too far with Sandi and Chris.

Although everybody also is quick to call out Derek here as well if he becomes especially churlish, as well as other goons.

Every time I feel like maybe I’m maybe wrong about something for Chris or Sandi, something happens that reinforces my thoughts. However today, and for nearly a year, my only opinion of Sandi has been “fully disengaged”. I feel like she is only there to be in front of a camera and collect more money than she should ever be entitled to.

Chris just continues to cock everything up, and continue to do everything he can to ensure a game is never actually built. I have this on pretty good authority given the current track record of nearly 6 years of full time international development and basically the equivalent of a few tech demos to show for it.

I’ll always be glad to re-evaluate everybody once they prove me wrong though. I like to believe everybody has the potential to be good, honest people. :)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm surprised the thread doesn't pay more attention to Turbulent, frankly. They're responsible for a good portion of this excellent mess.
they don't gently caress up, keep quiet about poo poo and actually deliver poo poo as promised (and sometimes on time)

the laugh well runs dry with them

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Hmm, look it's that thing everyone said they would do after they had bled the ship sales dry. Who would ever have guessed it would be here already.

Even before pocket carrier or whatever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Hmm, look it's that thing everyone said they would do after they had bled the ship sales dry. Who would ever have guessed it would be here already.

Even before pocket carrier or whatever.

it does reek of "we need money, stat" but then again the entire loving project does and has for years

it wouldn't surprise me if they sold planets or systems or moons or whatever to orgs for $10k+

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Spiderdrake posted:

Not only that, they hate white people. You get looks and shoves if you're away from the tourist area.

I was called a loving haole in a tourist area. No shove, though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Omniblivion posted:

Oh, for sure. The current path of Star Citizen (lol) is total poo poo and goons aren't going to come out of the woodwork to "play".

I was referencing the Literal Dream Version that people are throwing thousands of dollars at; if that game were actually produced, the swarm would emerge again.

That may be the part I’m getting lost in.

I mean, for a person buying this stuff, or bought one of those Hull ships with like a billionty googles of cargo space... what is the dream?

It would probably take literally months to actually load one of those ships. What is their dream?

What is the whale Star Citizen dream these days? Is it still to be Lord of New Eve, despite all the game mechanics showing them how they’re wrong? Even the dreams of crazy mechanics?

Do people remember stuff like the repair scaffolds and combing different materials together to repair and reinforce your hull? Repair robots to do it for you? That huge mining ship that was like the Dead Space ship in size or something?

All these dreams, like leaves in the wind. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16270-Claiming-Space-The-Race-For-Land

blah blah blah blah

Recently, there has been a major push to encourage the settlement and development of the Empire’s frontier. As part of this initiative, the PDB has been making additional parcels of land accessible to the public for purchase. It is believed by policymakers that as sectors become more developed, they likewise become more secure. Statistics from recent studies show that it is significantly harder for outlaws and Vanduul raiding parties to gain purchase in UEE-controlled systems when there are settlers and companies with vested interests in ensuring the protection of that territory. Combine this with Consolidated Outland’s recent introduction of a self-contained colonization platform, and many are expecting to see a new golden age of land development in the second half of the 30th century.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7el28z/claiming_space_the_race_for_land/

Omg I think I did. :aaa:

I called this when I realized they couldn’t make their space game, and secretly switched to making an FPS game because it’d be easier.

But probably Derek. :D

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheAgent posted:

it does reek of "we need money, stat" but then again the entire loving project does and has for years

it wouldn't surprise me if they sold planets or systems or moons or whatever to orgs for $10k+

It's nice to see them starting to build up the lore to be able to start charging for this stuff.

"Here's an official fictional government department built on the idea that land has game value. Yes, important land. It has value you want. We aren't building to something for sales in the future no sir"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Is buying JPEGs from CIG considered gambling?

Since there's a chance that particular ship game doesn't show up?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

and the titanic had a pretty detailed post about it months and months ago that really stood out, but it's been a joke since at least last year

Yes, you were there when I called it. :3:

I guess this means that *I* was the secret in momas cipher! Whew! I’m ready my July blog quote now! :)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

All these dreams, like leaves in the wind. :allears:
I think we're straight up seeing some sort of sunk cost on believing all their own hype?

Or maybe like:
They dream big -> Crobblers will deliver their dreams -> Actual years of being beaten by CIG -> whatever crobblerz delivers is the dream

I mean there's a tweet about being excited about a loving box a couple pages back.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Quavers posted:

blah blah blah blah

I literally think I called this one first.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

has anybody called that star citizen might be a scam yet?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

You lost me at "I assume.........."

"I assume" "I wonder" "will probably" "I wonder" "I Hope" "They could" "They Could"

Time to throw down $850 for a ship that all of this rampant speculation applies to. With things like anything you can imagine as features you would be stupid not to buy! Open Development!

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Omg I think I did. :aaa:

I called this when I realized they couldn’t make their space game, and secretly switched to making an FPS game because it’d be easier.

But probably Derek. :D

I remember that post, you called the hell out of that

I think you called all those motorcycle and rover sales they had this year too

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

See, it works. One post about selling land in game and already Dreams begin.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I look forward to Derek bursting into this thread and telling us how he called it in bold all caps

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Titanic, I take it you never played with Eve goons?

The point isn't to partake in dumb mechanics that sperglords froth over. The point is to procedurally decimate any fragments of enjoyment that such players would get from stacking boxes hours on end.

Imagine said sperglord builds a nice neat box fort to show off to all his friend. He happens to be streaming his box building escapades on twitch to his usual crowd of 4 people while giving them the step by step rundown of what he's building. Except today, he gets a fifth viewer...

First, you start off slow. Offer some help moving boxes from a-b so sperg can focus on his cargobay fort. Maybe even make a suggestion or two to keep him from tunnel visioning on the precise measurements of the ramp into his fort (sperglords has ptsd from avocado testing).

Once his box fort is done, offer praise and applause along with the two other viewers and bot. Make him feel good about himself and talk about how lucky he is to have such a great shop and box fort. Talk to him about always dreaming about having such a ship, but you only had a part time job at McDonald's so you were to RL poor to afford one....

Once you're on his ship, you open the hangar doors from the inside and a swarm of shittily equipped idiots appear that wreck the fort and steal all his crates... And then commissar the sperglord live on his own stream.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Betcha before the EA loot box debacle, Roberts had planned to sell cargo boxes for real money....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010