Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Duckaerobics posted:

Two wins from the playoff, but half the fanbase will be yelling for Malzahn to get fired if they don't make it.

Also, fun stat I heard today: Auburn and Ole Miss are the only two SEC teams with players on their roster who have a win over Bama. I can see a scenario where Gus wants to go a program that will celebrate him getting 8-9 wins a season and making a decent bowl.

Arkansas State is all that and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Two wins from the playoff, but half the fanbase will be yelling for Malzahn to get fired if they don't make it.

Also, fun stat I heard today: Auburn and Ole Miss are the only two SEC teams with players on their roster who have a win over Bama. I can see a scenario where Gus wants to go a program that will celebrate him getting 8-9 wins a season and making a decent bowl.
Yeah exactly. I don't think it was insane to be unhappy with his performance over the last four seasons before the Georgia win, but that game should have settled it. Even if we lose in any non-embarrassing fashion Saturday (and I'm like disturbingly confident about this game to an extent I can't ever remember being since the Saban era started in earnest in 2008) he absolutely kicked the poo poo out of Georgia in exactly the way we've been craving. 1 of the last 7 over our two biggest rivals is objectively not great, but we have a pretty decent shot at getting an NY6 bowl even with a loss and this season feels so much better than last year's completely lifeless trip to the Sugar Bowl. I would hope all the people that matter would have spent the last two weeks voicing their confidence in him, but they probably haven't and that's why this is an open question.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
God dammit, Flordia, we agreed that you were gonna back a dump truck up to Chip's house and keep him away from the west coast <:mad:>

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Sumlin will probably be on Tech's list.

Sumlin to UCLA w/ Kliff back as OC makes a lot of sense too.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Or maybe Herman decides to budge on his offense and cans beck after we clobber tech this week and picks up kliff. Orlando as DC and Kliff as OC would be mighty fine

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Coaches have enormous egos and would far more likely either sit out a year and be paid by their buyout, or take a lower level job so long as they could maintain the title of head coach. Going from head coach back to coordinator would be a massive ego blow.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I've offered to be kliffs suburban concubine if he comes here though

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kayakyakr posted:

Sumlin will probably be on Tech's list.

Sumlin to UCLA w/ Kliff back as OC makes a lot of sense too.

i am told there's a pretty good chance kliff comes to wvu after spav takes a job

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Kliff is coming home (to Houston)

lol if A&M fires Sumlin, he's easily the best coach we've had since RC

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minnesota is about to get smoked by Wisconsin and finish the year 5-7, so of course this is the prime opportunity to extend PJ Fleck's deal through 2023.

:psyduck:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Minnesota is about to get smoked by Wisconsin and finish the year 5-7, so of course this is the prime opportunity to extend PJ Fleck's deal through 2023.

:psyduck:

Row the boat!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he's a bad coach, but an extension after a 1 season, 5-7 record is uh....unusual.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I always think first year extensions are crazy unless that coach wins a natty year one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It honestly may not matter for much in the big picture depending on how Fleck's buyout is structured. He was originally on a 5-year deal so this only adds 2 to it.

Alternatively, man i'd be pissed if I was Tracy Claeys. I get why they fired him but jeez, fire Claeys after going 9-4, and extend his replacement before likely going 5-7. That's gotta hurt.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Guess he showed a lot of promise in battering a hapless Nebraska team.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Alternatively, man i'd be pissed if I was Tracy Claeys. I get why they fired him but jeez, fire Claeys after going 9-4, and extend his replacement before likely going 5-7. That's gotta hurt.

Is there a good recap of that whole situation somewhere? I didn't pay much attention to CFB last season (Sparty fan) and I can't find much info outside of his tweet

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paul Haynes has been fired by Kent State.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a good recap of that whole situation somewhere? I didn't pay much attention to CFB last season (Sparty fan) and I can't find much info outside of his tweet

Near as I can tell it was mostly down to that. Team was doing well with him but supporting the players considering a boycott of the bowl game basically became a "with us or against us" thing as far as the athletic dept was concerned.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Near as I can tell it was mostly down to that. Team was doing well with him but supporting the players considering a boycott of the bowl game basically became a "with us or against us" thing as far as the athletic dept was concerned.

Oh I remember that now.

That...seems like a pretty legitimate firing honestly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it wasn't without reason, to be sure.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/933343935493222400

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gonna be UCLA

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The fact that he actually went to LA to meet with them does not bode well for Florida.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how the gently caress does UF lose out to UCLA of all places

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

He's probably scurred of Saban and wants to be able to coast to titles in the PAC-12

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Randaconda posted:

They supposedly had demands on what assistant coaches he'd have. I think they want Shannon to stay. Most coaches are going to far rather want to bring in their own guys or at least make their own choices on who stays.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder: Florida deserves whatever it gets for Tebow.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

They supposedly had demands on what assistant coaches he'd have. I think they want Shannon to stay. Most coaches are going to far rather want to bring in their own guys or at least make their own choices on who stays.

It's a catch 22 because our coaches are baller rear end recruiters but they suck balls at coaching.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
UF administration deserves what it gets if it's going to lose Chip Kelly over Randy loving Shannon

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't understand why any AD would dictate what staff an incoming coach would be required to hire. If true, that's a colossal piece of stupidity by UF.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the Gators's body is ready for Ron Zook II: Electric Boogaloo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder: Florida deserves whatever it gets for Tebow.

:same:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Other thing is that Chip has more connections with high schools out west than he does in the east. Not that he couldn't recruit nationally, but if he already has those connections, why try to pull those kids from the west coast to play at Florida when he could probably have an easier time keeping them closer to their families at UCLA?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Maybe the Florida job isn't that great?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Pretty embarrassing to publicly whiff on your first choice. I'm sure that lots of coaching searches don't usually end up hiring their first choice coach. But it's usually behind closed doors so that you always have that plausible deniability so you can say whoever you end up hiring was your true first choice.

If Florida doesn't end up with Chip Kelly, then it's obvious that whoever they do hire wasn't their first choice.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Florida is a top ten job, but there are benefits to taking UCLA over Florida. People have already touched on them ITT, but basically:

Lower pressure and expectations.
You can live anonymously in LA whereas you would be recognized everywhere you go in Gainesville.
LA is a pretty nice place to live especially if you're a millionaire.
Arguably weaker conference.
Still have access to great recruits.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 22, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol what

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Randy Shannon fucks up two of the big 3. Only FSU left.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

God dammit, Flordia, we agreed that you were gonna back a dump truck up to Chip's house and keep him away from the west coast <:mad:>

this.

go to florida, chip!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

an adult beverage posted:

Pretty embarrassing to publicly whiff on your first choice.

Expectations at UF are extremely high, which makes it a pressure cooker of a job. It's not for everyone. UCLA, on the other hand, let Mora go only after 6 seasons. Kelly might see UCLA as a bit of a sleeping giant, given the right assurances from the administration and boosters. I just hope UF doesn't miss their target by way of Randy Shannon, for God's sake.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

There's no good reason UCLA shouldn't be an absolute powerhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

well they're about to lose their #1 choice to fuckin UCLA bro, lol

• Locked thread