Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ham Sandwiches posted:

People are more important than food, prioritizing food and forcing people to eat stuff just not to waste it is some outdated norm from the 50s or whatever and I absolutely do not see the need in 2017

I have found it: the hottest take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have found it: the hottest take.

It's ok if some food gets discarded if people have a nice time doing so or don't want to eat it, forcing people to eat food "to not waste it" doesn't fix any of the hunger issues around the world and is very, very bizarre to me

Like tons and tons of fat people all over the country and once food is bought / prepared / hits the plate you GOTTA eat it, that's the rules, the sacred food, it is your duty

I don't get it / I don't agree

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
there is a difference between not cramming more food into yourself when you're full so as to clean you plate, and buying an entire extra cake knowing in advance that you're gonna waste it but we all know you will never admit or understand this distinction

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

there is a difference between not cramming more food into yourself when you're full so as to clean you plate, and buying an entire extra cake knowing in advance that you're gonna waste it but we all know you will never admit or understand this distinction

The same food that the baker probably discards but you aren't there to see it?

If human beings want to celebrate an occasion with some food, they are allowed to do so. Even if the food doesn't get eaten. That's straight up what I'm saying.

What about grocers throwing out perfectly fine food? What about manufacturers putting bullshit dates on food precisely so it gets discarded and they sell more? Compared to that this seems super minor to me.

So perhaps you can explain the nuanced distinction of why is it not ok to buy a cake with the express intention of not eating it. Starving kids in Africa?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

The cake was paid for, so the baker received their compensation. The cake is being bought for the purpose of smashing and entertainment, not eating. How is it wasteful to use a good for the reason they bought it?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Warrior Princess posted:

The cake was paid for, so the baker received their compensation. The cake is being bought for the purpose of smashing and entertainment, not eating. How is it wasteful to use a good for the reason they bought it?
The reason they bought it was to waste food, I think that's the point being expressed. They bought food knowing they were not going to consume said food.

Watch this lead to a 5-page derail like that fuckin' wedding lady with the kids.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
yes, all of the stuff you listed is terrible, and this dumbass cake tradition, while minor, contributes to the cultural attitude of "eh" about the massive amounts of food waste we engage in, so it is also bad

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

The reason they bought it was to waste food, I think that's the point being expressed. They bought food knowing they were not going to consume said food.

Watch this lead to a 5-page derail like that fuckin' wedding lady with the kids.

It seems like it should be permissible for human beings to engage in such conduct, if they so choose, unless the issue is that these dumbass people are "having fun" defiling the sacred food which must be cherished and eaten and treated lovingly which is such a weird thing

We just got through like 200 love language posts and this is a response to the cake story that was just posted so I don't think we're quite in derail town yet

[edit]Unironically agree with the sonic pic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

So if you can't stop it, just roll with it. Wear cheap clothes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be fair most cakes barely qualify as food if we're looking at it from a nutrition point of view. Still a dumb thing to do.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It seems like it should be permissible for human beings to engage in such conduct, if they so choose, unless the issue is that these dumbass people are "having fun" defiling the sacred food which must be cherished and eaten and treated lovingly which is such a weird thing

We just got through like 200 love language posts and this is a response to the cake story that was just posted so I don't think we're quite in derail town yet

[edit]Unironically agree with the sonic pic

I mean, everyone involved in that story is stupid, I was just trying to clarify what the other poster's point was. My objection is that it's dumb as hell.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Sham Handwiches

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
sorry but if you aren't willing to sacrifice a few cups of flour, some eggs and milk in order to witness an in-person Brazillian Cakefart, why the gently caress even live in a free country? go put yourself in a prison until you realize what you're missing out on.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ZearothK posted:

To be fair most cakes barely qualify as food if we're looking at it from a nutrition point of view. Still a dumb thing to do.

huh? Most cakes are an egg sponge which is a perfectly valid way to consume calories and is a fantastic way to use preserves for flavoring. Not everything needs to be fiber filled super-food if you know how to moderate yourself.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Frivolously deliberately using food for non-consumption is right up there with such shameful excesses as buying party favors or burning fuel to have pizza delivered.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

huh? Most cakes are an egg sponge which is a perfectly valid way to consume calories and is a fantastic way to use preserves for flavoring. Not everything needs to be fiber filled super-food if you know how to moderate yourself.

cake is bad

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Are you white knighting loving CAKE?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry but if you aren't willing to sacrifice a few cups of flour, some eggs and milk in order to witness an in-person Brazillian Cakefart, why the gently caress even live in a free country? go put yourself in a prison until you realize what you're missing out on.

Wasting food to fulfill your bizarre and esoteric fetishes is more acceptable than doing it for some lovely, rote monthly office humiliation ritual (unless this is in itself someone's fetish, which may very well be the case).

Anyway, I don't like icing so I could just scrape off the layer that got farted on and very little would go to waste.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

you're arguing "knowing how to moderate yourself" vs the people who purchase a cake to literally smash their actual faces into it

there is no moderation there

also it's shameless waste, burn capitalism to the ground

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The actually worst part is that they're probably shouting "Happy Birthday to the face" as they're hurling the cake and then laughing as if it's the best joke ever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cake is a necessary evil for the use of surplus eggs. Would you prefer that they smash quiche? That'll cause facial burns and won't help out the local bakery (which are often struggling).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The inability for people to just accept face smashing cakes as the solution to late term capitalism as well as the obesity epidemic are why life expectancy is going down. I'm sure they'd be fine with face smashing a wallmart cake.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
R/relationships no reddit relationship is as dysfunctional as goon relationships with cake

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Next up for things more important than people: Furniture!

I (29f) had chairs that's been in my family since the 1700s. Were literally priceless. Husband (30m) thought he'd do a nice thing and have them cleaned and finished which has ruined them and removed most of the value. I'm sick to my stomach and don't know what to do.

quote:

I'm almost in a deep clinical depression over this because there's so much loss at hand. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic here, I feel like something beautiful has been forever ruined. Basically I had two chairs that had been in my family since the 1700s. They were among maybe 25-50 surviving pieces that were in 100% original condition with all original hardware and fabric made by a well known Massachusetts furniture maker. My mom actually took them on an early taping of antiques road show and it was one of those moments where the value both in terms of dollars and history brought her and the appraiser to tears. I don't want to say exactly how much but had she sold them at the time, she could have bought a new house. I don't know what they were worth today because I never, ever planned on getting rid of them. I've had authors, academics, well known wood workers, collectors even Hollywood set decorators contact me to study them, take pictures and try to copy the techniques.

Like I said, one the truly unique things about these chairs was that aside from cleaning and dusting, they had never been redone. They were far from perfect shape but that was part of the appeal and certainly part of the value because other surviving versions of similar chairs have been painted, re-varnished, re-upholstered, etc... I was so lucky that so many generations of my family saw an intrinsic value in keeping them original.

I walked into the attic room yesterday where I keep them and immediately noticed they were gone. I freaked out, I called the police (try explaining to a 911 operator that it's a crisis your chairs are missing), I immediately called the special company that insures them and it quickly spiraled into a full blown crisis. I called my husband and explained to him that we've been robbed so he freaked out and came home. When he got home there were two police officers in the house attempting to tell me that there's no evidence of a break in at all and that the type of thieves who are common in our area would never know to go after chairs. I was hysterical trying to explain the value of these chairs. My husband said something like "this is over the chairs? I know where the chairs are." I said where. He said basically that he knew how special they were to me so he had taken them to an antique restorer in Boston to have them rebuilt, refinished and reupholstered as a Christmas surprise. I was instantly sick to my stomach. The police left, warned me about freaking out but I honestly couldn't hear what they said I was in a blind panic over what was happening to my chairs.

I demanded my husband drive me into Boston to try and stop this. It's too late, they had ripped off all the original upholstery, sanded down all the nicks and scratches and had a applied a horrible chemical stripper and were, moreover they had broken several of the original metal fittings (that were older than the chairs) trying to disassemble each of them. Both are ruined, I mean beyond ruined. I can't even begin to calculate the dollar value lost but the historical value of these being lost is indescribable. This place isn't even a reputable furniture restorer place because they've been in business for maybe a year and anyone who was worth a drat probably would have known about my chairs anyways and refused my husbands request and tried to buy them from him or get them in a museum.

Every year, several local museums contact me to donate them to their collections and I've always refused. I literally to the point of severe depression because I was too stupid to take them up on it.

As for my husband, I don't even know where to begin. At first he was really defensive because I wasn't appreciative of how much work he'd gone through but when he realized that I was devastated and about to kill him if he kept talking like that he tried to be apologetic. I can't even begin to hear it. He knew how much these chairs meant to me and may family, he knew (and has seen the video, we have it on VHS for gods sake) of my mom on Antiques Roadshow and how they said to never change them. He know's I hire a professional antique furniture cleaner who know's exactly what they're doing to take a look at them and clean them with museum methods. and after all that, he took them to some fly by night furniture chop shop and ruined chairs that were almost 300 years old.

I can't even begin to reiterate how devastated I am. I don't think I can ever look at him again in the same way. How could I possibly? What do I do here?

tl;dr: husband ruined my priceless antique chairs thinking he was doing a nice thing for a xmas present. I'm devastated beyond words.

The dude is dumb as loving poo poo though lmao

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Clark Nova posted:

Wasting food to fulfill your bizarre and esoteric fetishes is more acceptable than doing it for some lovely, rote monthly office humiliation ritual (unless this is in itself someone's fetish, which may very well be the case).

:colbert: kinkshamer.

Clark Nova posted:

Anyway, I don't like icing so I could just scrape off the layer that got farted on and very little would go to waste.

Clark, I don't think you fully understand how involved Brazilian Cakefartistas get, while performing.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah this one is weird

I'm [M24] pretty sure that what my girlfriend [26F] of 7 years did counts as cheating, but not certain.

quote:

I'm just looking for some unbiased opinions.

A while back, my ex went out of the country for a couple of weeks and we were still very much a couple. While there, she lost cell coverage and met a guy in the last week of the trip that she says she fell in love with. Needless to say, some stuff happened.

As soon as she got back home she told me that we should break up. I had to probe a bit to find out what had really happened, but she was honest about everything that she had done.

One thing that's still bugging me is the fact that she doesn't think what she did was cheating. She thinks that because she wasn't able to contact me, that what she did doesn't really count as cheating. She decided that our relationship was over without being able to talk to me about it, and decided to sleep with someone else.

I definitely feel cheated on, but I don't know. Is she right?

tl;dr: Girlfriend slept with someone while abroad and doesn't think it counts as cheating b/c she didn't have cell coverage. Is she right?

The way this dude describes it is so weird. From the comments: Meets a dude, wants to break up with him, she couldn't because didn't have cell phone, told him as soon as she got back. But he needs it to be cheating so he can bitch about it forever after?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

This guy loving sucks

Me [35 F] with my 33 husband [M] of 3 years, dating for 8, told me being with me is like a prison.

quote:

I am 35 and work full time and have a one year old with my 33 year old husband. I am pregnant with our second son who is due in March so the babies will be 16 months apart. I married my husband because I just like hanging out with him. Anything fun I want him around for, whether it's something big or small. And, from a more global perspective, we shared the same goals. I was always neutral about kids but I wanted a good education, career and a nice house, and someone I could enjoy wine with and do house projects with.

My husband seemed to share all my same wants and he definitely wanted kids. Being with someone like that made me decide I def wanted kids too. So we had a son and have another on the way. Problem is, he has a couple hobbies - offroading and rugby that he's done over the years...and in the past year (our son was born in Nov 2016) he has still gotten to do all that stuff. We keep a calendar to track baby stuff and schedules and everything so I can tell you that while having a newborn he has gone on 7 off roading trips out of town either for 24-48 hours. At first I told him that I was fine with it but I realized after a couple Saturdays waking up exhausted with nobody to help me, and sometimes having to work to stay awake, that it was hard to have a baby and have him gone for half or full weekends. And also, I wanted to see him and spend time with him, and I wanted time for myself, and also time to get the cleaning and boring stuff done we fail at during the week having a baby. Once I got pregnant again in July it got even harder again. Anyway I never said he shouldn't go offroading, but I did tell him to keep in mind that it's hard on me to be home alone with the baby. He listened and took a couple weekends in summer to be home with us and I was happy about that. AHe all-in-all had 6 out of town weekends for off roading this year, and went to a concert out of town one weekend with his brother, and he also coaches rugby, so for a two month period he was also fone Wednesday and Friday Evenings coaching, and had a few out of town away games that took up a whole saturday, several at home that took up a good part of the day, and a tournament that took up two days in town.

After that was over, he wanted to go on an offraoding trip for two days nov 4/5, and I told him I am feeling overwhelmed and would like him to be around more for the rest of the year after all the offroading trips and an 8-10 week span of rugby, and he lashed out and told me i have no hobbies and no life and im just trying to keep him down, and if i really want to see him "plan it....put it in the calendar." so i asked him if after the nov 4/5 weekend we could have family time the rest of the year? and he said yes, put it in the calendar. So i put in 5 weekends of that.

Last weekend was the first weekend in forever that we just did nothing and spent the weekend together with our son. We also caught up on a lot of cleaning and stuff I could never get done when it was just me and the baby at home.

We are in therapy and hes been saying a lot he feels neglected and doesnt get enough attention, and i said between me being pregnant/super tired/new baby I COMPLETELY understand that feeling and I miss him and want more time with him. We agreed that a couple nights a week id try to stay up after baby went to bed so we could have some time together. i asked him to not stare at his phone if i am to do that and he agreed he wouldnt.

that was 2 months ago and a couple nights a week i try to go back downstairs and hang out with him agfter putting the baby to bed. he does stare at his phone a lot and is EXTREMELY distracted and seems disinterested in me and my company a lot of the time, but i dont want to nag. and sometimes we do okay and have conversation.

Anyway, last night i came downstairs and just ALL day i was thinking about my life and how everything in it is like, perfect, amazing, more than i could ask for. love my friends and fam and career and house and inlaws and everything i have going on...but i was thinking how much theres this disconnect with my husband and how much i miss him and really i was super excited for the five weekend stretch of us having time together. i envisioned a couple weekends of low key stuff and also planning some holiday stuff like a christmas festival or something. whether we do nothing together or something big i love hanging out with him.

So last night i was just so emotional thinking about what a hard year its been with my marriage and how i miss him and wish we could connect more. While staying up with him he stared at his phone some more. i didnt want to nag so i just ignored it and tried to engage. At one point he asked me if he could go offroading december 5. i was put in an awkward position where i felt like well if it's my decision, no, bc i miss you and want a few weekends with you and i want you to stick to your word and I was looking forward to it all. So he said okay, but i again felt like im just pulling this disinterested husband away from the stuff he really wants to do. and we went upstairs to bed and i was crying and just saying how pregnancy has been hard and i miss him and all that. As soon as i started crying he got tense and edgy.

Even though i wasnt criticizing him and i was just saying im sorry our life means our marriage is on the back burner, and just was looking for some hugs and sympathy and reassurance, he told me if i need reassurance "something's wrong" and he feels to even ask for it is misplaced. So then when i mentioned he doesnt ever seem excited to hang out with me or the family and hes my fav person to hang out with and i miss him, he told me "hanging out with you at the house is like being in prison." and said that i dont want to hang out with HIM, i just "want him around to have him near me...." that im "trying to keep him from doing what he wants to do."

i feel like a hole in the earth openes up and swallowed me. weve had plenty of fights and said mean things but this was a new level of feeling like i am empty and heartbroken and not loved. And on top of it he's putting a spin on it as if this is all about "controlling" him, when he has been able to do a ton of stuff in his life, esp for a guy who's had a newborn and working wife this past year. im the opposite of controlling. I just want some time with my husband - down time, busy plans, all of it, and most of all - i want to feel like he seems genuinely interested in the same. but i feel like a charity case - like he is doing me a favor by even hanging out with me at all.

i dont know what to do or think or feel anymore.
in that 20 minute convo he grew furious that I would feel i need reassurance, and yet not a few minutes later he told me being with me is like a prison. He answered his own quandary - of course a wife whose husband would say that to her may perhaps be feeling other vibes from this person where i feel insecure enough to look for some reassurance.

Update: he texted me this a moment ago. its not the first time hes said horrible alienating things and then apologized after, when ive had a sleepless night of crying. im not sure what to do with it:

“Want to apologize for last night. I have felt more isolated in every aspect of my life recently. Work, coaching, home life. There isnt anything i can do about it right now, but i dont have to take it out on you. I just ask you not do the same. Im not unhappy in a global sense. I know its temporary. I do love you. We just need to do better. Neither of us are very good at this. You are a good person - way better than me- and i know you want the best. I do too. We arent doing a good job of getting to best. A lot my fault. Can we try to just reset and start over with this?”

tl;dr: Is there any way I can hope for a happy healthy marriage with someone who thinks and says these things, and am I being unreasonable!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I (29f) had chairs that's been in my family since the 1700s. Were literally priceless. Husband (30m) thought he'd do a nice thing and have them cleaned and finished which has ruined them and removed most of the value. I'm sick to my stomach and don't know what to do.

Holy poo poo. As an antiques and history geek I can't begin to imagine how she feels. That is loving awful.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

drat, anybody else I could understand but the husband who knew the value of the chairs and their detailed history? Did she marry a complete moron? Like, you can laugh at her being in clinical depression over some chairs or whatever but the reality is that the idiot destroyed items worth a lot of money by giving them to some random shop he found on the internet. They were even insured, any changes dones to the chairs most likely breach the terms so you'd have to really think hard before doing anything to them. I would be pissed blind for some time too.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
That dude sucks

edit: chairs guy and newborn guy both suck

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Chair destroying husband deserves both a Stone Cold Stunner and a Tombstone Piledriver.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Should have sold the drat chairs a long time ago.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Palpek posted:

drat, anybody else I could understand but the husband who knew the value of the chairs and their detailed history? Did she marry a complete moron? Like, you can laugh at her being in clinical depression over some chairs or whatever but the reality is that the idiot destroyed items worth a lot of money by giving them to some random shop he found on the internet. They were even insured, any changes dones to the chairs most likely breach the terms so you'd have to really think hard before doing anything to them. I would be pissed blind for some time too.

She married the same kinda dude as the goon who did the brilliant bathroom remodel, which in this case owned the poo poo out of her chairs.

"Antiques Roadshow: Make sure you never change them"
"Tim the tool man: Oh yeah? MORE POWER *fires up sander*"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
newborn guy sounds like a depressed rear end in a top hat

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah this one is weird

I'm [M24] pretty sure that what my girlfriend [26F] of 7 years did counts as cheating, but not certain.

The way this dude describes it is so weird. From the comments: Meets a dude, wants to break up with him, she couldn't because didn't have cell phone, told him as soon as she got back. But he needs it to be cheating so he can bitch about it forever after?

Well the relationship is completely over so the cheating issue seems kind of a non-issue besides him wanting to whine about being cheated on instead of just dumped.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This made me really sad.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chair woman is also an idiot, if she had multiple solicited offers from museums I'm certain one of them would have taken them on a long term loan being properly cared for and insured instead of having fuckton expensive chairs sitting in her attic waiting to be chewed on by some random animal or having the upholstery degrade.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’m so angry reading the chair story.

Those historical artifacts were literally more meaningful to humanity than anything that moron meatbag of a man would ever do, and if I were on a jury I would refuse to convict that woman for his murder.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah this one is weird

I think it's more that she is trying to make it sound like she acted appropriately, and he wants reddit to reassure him that that is not the case. IMO she'd still be a lovely person even if she managed to call him at 3AM local time in order to dump him before getting rawdogged by a spaniard, but there isn't really any way to make it better at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I think it's more that she is trying to make it sound like she acted appropriately, and he wants reddit to reassure him that that is not the case. IMO she'd still be a lovely person even if she managed to call him at 3AM local time in order to dump him before getting rawdogged by a spaniard, but there isn't really any way to make it better at this point.

On of the lessons I have learned in my decade plus of being a slut is people that are in relationships that cheat or leave them aren't cheating because they just felt so much chemistry with the one person they cheated with or they just happened being in a particular mood that night or they suddenly realized the relationship is over, they have already decided that they are going to leave you or gently caress someone else or both and it has nothing to do with the particular person they cheat with.

She was always going to leave him or cheat on him and there was nothing he could do about it, move on, it was over before she sat on the guys cock and nothing was going to change it.