Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I have a Fridgidaire counter depth french door and would avoid them. I've had it two years and have already had issues with stuff freezing in the fridge and the door seals not keeping a good hold.

novamute fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
My one major issue with our french door refrigerator was an angry blinky red light that demanded I replace the water filter every three months to the tune of $50 a pop.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sometimes the doors sweat on our LG French door counter-depth fridge, but it's not a bid deal. The annoying part is the ice maker often needing a good shake to break up frozen ice cubes.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Knock on wood, I've been lucky with Samsung.

Currently have Model # RF220NCTASR for our small rear end-opening. If had any of the meager woodworking skills I've learned since buying, I'd have torn down or rebuilt the opening and gone with a bigger model, but the 21.8-cu ft model has worked for us (2 adults, one toddler).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

And yeah it's actually real stainless steel, fridge magnets stick.

"Real" stainless steel is either austenitic or ferritic. Magnets stick to the latter, but the former is absolutely still real stainless. The most common stainless most people come into contact with is 304 and it's austenitic. It's used for food safety and medical devices including surgical instruments. The second most common type is 316, but that's more industrial (deals with corrosives better). The most common ferritics are for corrosion resistance around and beyond that. I have no idea why they would make your fridge out of it.

Sorry for :science: :spergin:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do the kids use these days for in-wall/attic insulation for to-the-studs renovation that isn't super toxic? (e.g. fiberglass) I know Rockwool is a thing, googling that yields mixed results on how bad it is to breathe. Asking one of our contractors they're suggesting recycled cotton bat insulation. Right now everything is filled with blown cellulose, and I'm happy to do that again in the attic space but that seems silly in the walls.

To be clear: I have no interest in fiberglass anywhere in my house, I never want to drill in and have that stuff come out. My lungs are hosed up enough as it is. I would rather get a lower R-value over time re-blowing cellulose into the walls.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Spray foam? I don't understand: what's the issue with fiberglass batts in the walls?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Spray foam? I don't understand: what's the issue with fiberglass batts in the walls?

It's a principle, right or wrong. We know it's harmful and there are seemingly acceptable alternatives. If the cotton stuff isn't hilariously bad or dangerous in some way I'm not seeing I'm going to use that instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Motronic posted:

"Real" stainless steel is either austenitic or ferritic. Magnets stick to the latter, but the former is absolutely still real stainless. The most common stainless most people come into contact with is 304 and it's austenitic. It's used for food safety and medical devices including surgical instruments. The second most common type is 316, but that's more industrial (deals with corrosives better). The most common ferritics are for corrosion resistance around and beyond that. I have no idea why they would make your fridge out of it.

Sorry for :science: :spergin:

No, see, I actually knew most of that and didn't even bother to engage my brain and think about it, so thanks! Now I actually consider the issue, my fridge may well be brushed mild steel with some kind of coating on it. Or it could be a very thin layer of austenitic stainless over another layer of mild steel, I suppose, although it doesn't seem like that'd be worth the effort.

In any case they made my fridge out of whatever they made it out of purely for aesthetic reasons, because shiny metal appliances are the thing these days. It's a fetish adopted from commercial-level appliances found in restaurants, which are made of metal presumably so they can be sterilized daily for 20 years, and then people started buying those commercial appliances for their expensive kitchen remodels and manufacturers noticed and started selling consumer-grade appliances with steel finishes so people could have the commercial-looking kitchen for consumer-level prices. And now here we are.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Going to be closing on my new house in ~2 weeks and have been getting a list of projects lined up to knock out immediately or soon after move-in. It's all cosmetic stuff, but had a question for anyone that may have done it.

The back splash in the kitchen has a nice white beveled pearly look that my wife loves, but the builder had already spec'd the house and we couldn't change their choices that late in the game as we didn't build, but bought basically an inventory home (previous buyer/builder fell through and we picked it up) the issue is the grout color and the caulking around said grout edges near the counter/windows etc. The notes indicated it was a grey color, so we didn't even look it up when we read it, but now that it's in it's basically brown and it looks disgusting. I am trying to get the builder to regrout/caulk in straight white, but they aren't really under any obligation to do so and I get that. So.. how hard is redoing the grout myself? I realize it'll be tedious to scrape it all out, but is it a fairly simple process? OR would the better option be to use one of those grout stain pens to "paint" over the grout to the desired color and save a lot of time and hassle? My wife thinks the pen route will look like poo poo, and well I don't know either way

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I regrouted a tile shower once. If I ever need to do it again I will just rip out all the tile and start over. It was a huge pain in the rear end, took forever and I was not happy with how it came out.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
You could always try the pen, see how it looks and if it's garbage go back and re-grout.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

The torsion bar on my garage door fell off tonight. I'm not sure what happened, but the cables on the pulleys came loose, too. The bar has big scrapes on it where the pulley moved sideways and then popped the bar out of the bearing. I'm guessing I will be paying for a whole new spring setup. The door now is inch thick wood 16' wide. Should I replace the door at the same time for an insulated door, or are old wooden garage doors worth keeping? The current door is from 1969.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lwoodio posted:

The torsion bar on my garage door fell off tonight. I'm not sure what happened, but the cables on the pulleys came loose, too. The bar has big scrapes on it where the pulley moved sideways and then popped the bar out of the bearing. I'm guessing I will be paying for a whole new spring setup. The door now is inch thick wood 16' wide. Should I replace the door at the same time for an insulated door, or are old wooden garage doors worth keeping? The current door is from 1969.

New insulated doors are going to be a lot lighter and keep out more noise on top of the insulation savings if you are heating that space. It's not a urgent change but a lot of materials advances have happened since literal planks of wood were used. Lighter should mean net cheaper to operate (smaller motor needed, less wear, etc.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

New insulated doors are going to be a lot lighter and keep out more noise on top of the insulation savings if you are heating that space. It's not a urgent change but a lot of materials advances have happened since literal planks of wood were used. Lighter should mean net cheaper to operate (smaller motor needed, less wear, etc.)

A lot of the lighter ones don't even have torsion bars/springs.

Also, lwoodio - be drat sure that thing is completely unloaded if you want to open the door and seriously don't mess with it if it's not. Torsion bars/springs on garage doors will gently caress you up if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I hate messing with them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Garage door springs are pretty much the most terrifying thing in most suburban homes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

H110Hawk posted:

It's a principle, right or wrong. We know it's harmful and there are seemingly acceptable alternatives. If the cotton stuff isn't hilariously bad or dangerous in some way I'm not seeing I'm going to use that instead.

Fiberglass really harmful. The fibers are large enough that they are not going to cause you a problem long term. They are irritating on initial exposure, and that is about it. The old school stuff used to be treated with formaldehyde, which is a different story, but otherwise you have nothing to worry about.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Leperflesh posted:

I like my GE. The complaints about it are that it's noisy, presumably from people who have never owned a fridge with an icemaker in it, becuase yes you loving idiots it's going to make ice-making noises while it makes loving ice. In other words, refrigerator reviews are mostly written by idiots.

Basically verbatim what I was going to write, especially the last sentence.

Leperflesh posted:

In any case they made my fridge out of whatever they made it out of purely for aesthetic reasons, because shiny metal appliances are the thing these days. It's a fetish adopted from commercial-level appliances found in restaurants, which are made of metal presumably so they can be sterilized daily for 20 years, and then people started buying those commercial appliances for their expensive kitchen remodels and manufacturers noticed and started selling consumer-grade appliances with steel finishes so people could have the commercial-looking kitchen for consumer-level prices. And now here we are.

I can't wait until my kids are shopping for houses and complaining about how the appliances were all dated "stainless" steel with rust marks galore just like I did with burnt orange appliances from the 70s.

I replaced the fridge at my last house with a sub-$1000 fridge in stainless. Stainless is a pain in the rear end to keep looking decent. When I replaced my the fridge at my current house I noticed that a lot of the mid-range stainless fridges had some sort of coating over the stainless which seemed to help a lot.

We ended up with this model and I'm happy with it. Just got our first filter warning. I'm sure the $50 filters are better than the third party ones I got on Amazon, but I drink water out of the tap without issue so I'm not sure why I should be concerned about having a special filter.

One thing I'd look out for is an ice maker that stores the ice in the door itself. My parents bought a pretty pricey fridge that did this and the ice melts and refreezes into one big lump rendering the ice maker useless.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm sure the $50 filters are better than the third party ones I got on Amazon, but I drink water out of the tap without issue so I'm not sure why I should be concerned about having a special filter.

I’m continually amazed by the number of people who seem to think that drinking from the tap will give you autism or something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I had a GE fridge, it started not defrosting so I bought a $3 part on ebay and it started working perfectly again. Appliance guy wanted $300 for the part plus labor.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I’m continually amazed by the number of people who seem to think that drinking from the tap will give you autism or something.

Some areas have tap water that, while safe, doesn't taste great because of minerals in the ground and filters can improve the taste. hth.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah lots of places have lovely tap water that tastes like rear end if you don’t filter it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just ignore the filter warnings and reset the timer on the fridge. I'm sure this will bite me in the rear end one day.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

couldcareless posted:

I just ignore the filter warnings and reset the timer on the fridge. I'm sure this will bite me in the rear end one day.

Well the water will just get slower and slower, or the filter will fail and you will get a glass of black crud. Name brand fridge filter are a mega scam though. I wish the Chinese had a legitimate system of telling me which ones are good and which ones are just packed with radioactive waste.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

We bought our fridge for $100 from the previous owners of this house. I didn't think about the filter until we'd been living here 10 months or so, no clue how long it had been since anyone had changed it. I found a six-pack on Amazon for $20. Change your filters people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In my case I am filtering both for taste, and for water to use for my frogs and geckos. I need to be sure the chloramine is removed. Which any charcoal filter should do, I just don't trust self-rated chinese knockoff filters really.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I absolutely love my side by side Kenmore fridge, it was the cheapest model at Sears and the sales guy said that it was the number one seller to landlords because it didn't break easily. SOLD. Have had zero problems with it, it closes without you having to push it shut, it even has a fancy pants light that dims on gradually so you're not ambushed in the middle of the night with brightness.

Side by side doors are also great for kids - you can put all of their poo poo at the bottom so they can access it themselves from both fridge and freezer.

That said, craigslist always has fridges for free if you don't mind the cheaper models/have a truck to move it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrYenko posted:

I drank from a tap that had water coming out of the Thames for 28 years and are only mildly autistic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BigPaddy posted:

I drank from a tap that had water coming out of the Thames for 28 years and are only mildly autistic.

I grew up drinking both tap and well water. I actually prefer well water, because it tastes like something. Bottled water tastes like plastic and sadness.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bottled water has all kinds of tastes. For instance Dasani tastes like a mix of the flu and a rusty garbage can lid

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Sadly in the United States, it is soon going to be the norm that everyone needs a reverse osmosis system to filter out all the lead.

#MAGA

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

QuarkJets posted:

Bottled water has all kinds of tastes. For instance Dasani tastes like a mix of the flu and a rusty garbage can lid

Dasani is trash indeed.

I grew up with water combined from a cistern and a spring, but our local water probably isn’t horrible - I liked filtered because I want my water cold cold.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Same; water out of the tap tastes good here, and I only use the filtered fridge source because I prefer the colder temperature.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Really? None of you Americans mention that drinking tap water is like gulping in a public swimming pool because of all the chlorine?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What the hell is this about now?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Next you guys are going to be telling me Fluoride is safe :rolleyes:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hubis posted:

Next you guys are going to be telling me Fluoride is safe :rolleyes:

Amazing Avatar/Post combo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Fluoride and chlorine in proper quantities are good to have in drinking water. It will not turn you into a remote controlled semi zombie at all trust me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Really? None of you Americans mention that drinking tap water is like gulping in a public swimming pool because of all the chlorine?

As someone who routinely swims for exercise, there is a world of difference between swimming pools and tap water.

I don't really get the chlorine scares in Europe (e.g. with chlorinated chicken). Just because we use chlorine as a disinfectant doesn't mean it remains (in detectable quantities) in the final product. We don't want to taste that stuff any more than y'all do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Europeans being unreasonably afraid of cleansers and disinfectants sure would explain a lot