Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s the self assembly part I take issue with mainly. I have one working hand, you have no idea how horrible it is to do self assembly furniture with one working hand, or how hard it is to find new furniture not in separate bits for a reasonable price these days. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Confession: I have never been to an ikea because I have boycotted all self assemble furniture.

Because I’m a bit poor this has meant second hand but gently caress MDF for forever and a day. It’s terrible floor sweepings compressed and wrapped, and pretty much the worst thing you can think of for making furniture out of. Pretty much the only thing it’s good for is for levelling off floors before laminate is put down. Furniture is meant to last forever, not expand and blow if it gets wet, or simply start to fall apart after a few years. This is the evil of ikea, they know on the surface it looks cheap and good for the price but the reality is that they are the embodiment of the Sam Vine’s theory of economic injustice. https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Sam_Vimes_Theory_of_Economic_Injustice

“At the time of Men at Arms, Samuel Vimes earned thirty-eight dollars a month as a Captain of the Watch, plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots, the sort that would last years and years, cost fifty dollars. This was beyond his pocket and the most he could hope for was an affordable pair of boots costing ten dollars, which might with luck last a year or so before he would need to resort to makeshift cardboard insoles so as to prolong the moment of shelling out another ten dollars.
Therefore over a period of ten years, he might have paid out a hundred dollars on boots, twice as much as the man who could afford fifty dollars up front ten years before. And he would still have wet feet.”
Why is your furniture getting wet so often that it's falling apart? Even poo poo quality bookshelves and end tables and whatever can last years or decades if you only use them for their intended purposes. It doesn't take tempered steel to bear the weight of a few paperbacks.

Boots are a terrible analogy, because boots are a heavily used wear-and-tear good that are designed to break down over time, so the quality of the materials is important for durability and lifetime, which is not really the case for most kinds of IKEA furniture.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i bought an ikea bed for a hundred bucks twelve years ago and i still use it. it's creaky as hell and desperately needs to be replaced but still, that's extremely cheap for the cost/time of use ratio

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

learnincurve posted:

It’s the self assembly part I take issue with mainly. I have one working hand, you have no idea how horrible it is to do self assembly furniture with one working hand, or how hard it is to find new furniture not in separate bits for a reasonable price these days. :(

Well that's what they have the home assembly options for. :shrug:

When one of your hands is severely impaired, there's nothing really to do about it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Moving heavy furniture sucks, i'd rather have a cheap pos i can leave behind

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Moving heavy furniture sucks, i'd rather have a cheap pos i can leave behind

Which is a good plan because incidentally most Ikea furniture disintegrates if it touches anything while being lifted.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The point is that if you have one nice solid oak table made properly with dovetails and the like then you will never have to buy a table again, and nor will your children or grandchildren. You don’t even need to spend huge money, second hand and antique furniture is the same price as new from ikea - and that includes the real Scandinavian/MCM furnature that ikea rips off.

The MDF issue with blowing is very real, especially in kitchens, that poo poo will blow in 10 years just through cleaning it.

E: MDF is compressed sawdust, what happens when sawdust gets wet?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

learnincurve posted:

The point is that if you have one nice solid oak table made properly with dovetails and the like then you will never have to buy a table again, and nor will your children or grandchildren.

way to impose your furniture tastes on your descendents, assuming they survive the coming anthropogenic climate disasters

no really my parents bought a giant oak dining room table that's very nice and full of middle class prestige, and when they retired and downsized to a trailer they got rid of most of their heirloom poo poo. they asked me if i wanted this huge cumbersome table that takes up a whole room and i said no, since i plan on living in a small condo. they didn't want it either. so the thousand dollar lasts forever table got put on craigslist and it graces some other family's home now

nice furniture is a luxury if you care about that and have the space and time to deal with it but if you don't - that's what the semidisposable lasts-a-decade stuff is for. it's not like one type is inherently superior to the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. i appreciate being able to disassemble most of my furniture to make it easier to move rather than getting four of my burly friends to shove bulky living and dining room sets out a door into a truck

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
As someone that inherited a ton of those old, solid, real wood furniture pieces I can pretty safely say that your children/grandchildren won't want it since it's huge and heavy and the style clashes with what we actually like.

Unless it's mid century modern, that poo poo is timeless.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

learnincurve posted:

The MDF issue with blowing is very real, especially in kitchens, that poo poo will blow in 10 years just through cleaning it.

It's the worst in kitchen. The laminate of the cheaper stuff will warp and shrink of you spill boiling water in it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The point still stands, if you can buy genuine antique Scandinavian furniture and MCM for less than self assemble stuff why would you go for the inferior product?

If the sales of second hand goes up and self assembly drop, then it forces the industry to drop the price of boxed up goods, or provide assembly and delivery for free. Ikea charge silly money to assemble it for you, way above what it actually costs them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

learnincurve posted:

The point still stands, if you can buy genuine antique Scandinavian furnature and MCM for less than self assemble stuff why would you go for the inferior product?

that's a pretty big if buddy

give me a line on where i can get an antique scandinavian end table for $40 tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

learnincurve posted:

The point is that if you have one nice solid oak table made properly with dovetails and the like then you will never have to buy a table again, and nor will your children or grandchildren. You don’t even need to spend huge money, second hand and antique furniture is the same price as new from ikea - and that includes the real Scandinavian/MCM furnature that ikea rips off.

you're forgetting that millennials are often mobile and poor. they dont have money (or importantly) room to buy a big rear end old oak poo poo, and they don't have money to pay movers to move it, and even when they move out to a studio out in the mish' or willliamsburg they still don't have room.

ikea is basically one of the few stores letting people furnish their homes with something acceptable and fits their needs

also that poo poo is expensive as gently caress, unless you get insanely lucky and most of us dont have 40+ hrs a week dedicated to trolling craigslist for cheap granny disposal sales. I've gone to many 'urban restoration/reuse" type stores in my city (berkeley) and nothing at all is still remotely affordable.

e: Also we don't have giant trucks and SUVs to haul that poo poo. IKEA is great because you can fit several things in the trunk of your sedan/hatchback and not worry about "oh god will it fit???" and then stressing about renting a truck or something just to buy some giant bulky thing.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 22, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

boner confessor posted:

Auctions, auctions, auctions. Really regional though as to availibility, quality, and competition for the good stuff.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

boner confessor posted:

Farm auctions in rural Minnesota and North Dakota.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

boner confessor posted:

K $38 on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/mid-century-modern-mersman-coffee-table/253145911788?hash=item3af0ac11ec:g:ze4AAOSwkjNZtWzk

Your charity places/goodwill are a better bet for the good stuff though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

learnincurve posted:

Your charity places/goodwill are a better bet for the good stuff though.

Really regional on quality for Goodwills for that stuff. Areas with mostly old people (FL, etc) tend to be best.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pretty much all our furniture is danish MCM stuff but only because we are lucky enough to have a store nearby that sells and restores that stuff for very reasonable prices and we got a lot of it before the MCM craze really took off and rich boomers finally clued in that their old furniture was considered cool again.

There was a golden age when tons of boomers and old people were selling their "dated" solid teak dining room sets and buffets and poo poo and replacing them with hideous boring mostly particle board poo poo because it was "new" and thus better, so you could get that stuff for cheap.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

what's the shipping on that though?

karthun posted:

Farm auctions in rural Minnesota and North Dakota.

yeah but what if i dont want to spend all weekend driving to garage sales in the boonies to get perfect matching decor

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What the gently caress is furniture?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

learnincurve posted:

The point still stands, if you can buy genuine antique Scandinavian furniture and MCM for less than self assemble stuff why would you go for the inferior product?

If the sales of second hand goes up and self assembly drop, then it forces the industry to drop the price of boxed up goods, or provide assembly and delivery for free. Ikea charge silly money to assemble it for you, way above what it actually costs them.

Yo, the pre-built stuff costs more money because it's far more bulky. You can't afford to drop their prices too far as a business.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

boner confessor posted:

what's the shipping on that though?

yeah but what if i dont want to spend all weekend driving to garage sales in the boonies to get perfect matching decor

Do you want a antique Scandinavian end table or not? If you do you might need to spend a weekend driving to auctions in rural Minnesota.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

Xaris posted:

you're forgetting that millennials are often mobile and poor. they dont have money (or importantly) room to buy a big rear end old oak poo poo, and they don't have money to pay movers to move it, and even when they move out to a studio out in the mish' or willliamsburg they still don't have room.

ikea is basically one of the few stores letting people furnish their homes with something acceptable and fits their needs

also that poo poo is expensive as gently caress, unless you get insanely lucky and most of us dont have 40+ hrs a week dedicated to trolling craigslist for cheap granny disposal sales. I've gone to many 'urban restoration/reuse" type stores in my city (berkeley) and nothing at all is still remotely affordable.

e: Also we don't have giant trucks and SUVs to haul that poo poo. IKEA is great because you can fit several things in the trunk of your sedan/hatchback and not worry about "oh god will it fit???" and then stressing about renting a truck or something just to buy some giant bulky thing.

In addition to all the above reasons - a pretty huge tree needs to be cut down to make that fancy dining table. Hardwoods especially get harvested from rainforests using some pretty nasty destructive practices. I feel pretty good knowing some old growth forest wasn't clearcut to make my cheap pine and compressed particleboard furniture.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You like it because it’s convenient, not because it’s cheaper or better, and that’s totally your prerogative. :) But it really has nothing to do with being a millennial not being able to afford stuff, or how easy second hand stuff is to move when you do. You don’t disassemble IKEA furnature to move it, and Scandinavian MCM is the same bulk and weight as the IKEA copies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

karthun posted:

Do you want a antique Scandinavian end table or not? If you do you might need to spend a weekend driving to auctions in rural Minnesota.

that just undercuts the argument that you can get this stuff for cheaper than what ikea pumps out, if you have to attach the statement "...if you devote enough time to looking for it and get lucky"

i mean i'm not saying the furniture isn't worth it, but it's a big value judgement to say it's inherently better than crappy flat pack furniture (which has been a thing in cheap furniture for a century at least) if you start ignoring the downsides like it's expensive, bulky, it's meant for housing with more square footage (china hutch and the like) and you can substitute money for time if you have time to spend hunting around at estate sales

learnincurve posted:

You don’t disassemble IKEA furnature to move it,

like hell i dont, it's the biggest advantage to ikea furniture

e: i can see why you dont since you have a dexterity issue, but i whip that poo poo together with quickness and take it apart just as easily. i actually enjoy assembling flat pack lol

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 22, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fishmech posted:

So spend the 5 bucks extra on the next higher tier of furniture at Ikea? I don't get boycotting them because your house is a perpetual swamp or whatever is destroying their cheapest stuff so fast for you.

I have MDF Ikea shelves that look nearly brand new and I've had them for over ten years. And it's not like I live in the desert either.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Seriously dudes, Habitat for Humanity Re-stores are the best for furniture. You can find some cool, unique stuff for super cheap, and all of the proceeds go right back to the charity

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

boner confessor posted:

that just undercuts the argument that you can get this stuff for cheaper than what ikea pumps out, if you have to attach the statement "...if you devote enough time to looking for it and get lucky"

i mean i'm not saying the furniture isn't worth it, but it's a big value judgement to say it's inherently better than crappy flat pack furniture (which has been a thing in cheap furniture for a century at least) if you start ignoring the downsides like it's expensive, bulky, it's meant for housing with more square footage (china hutch and the like) and you can substitute money for time if you have time to spend hunting around at estate sales

like hell i dont, it's the biggest advantage to ikea furniture

e: i can see why you dont since you have a dexterity issue, but i whip that poo poo together with quickness and take it apart just as easily. i actually enjoy assembling flat pack lol

I wouldn't say cheaper but if I were to spend 500 bucks on college dorm/apartment furniture I would first hit up rural actions before Ikea. You will head home with at least a dining room set, living room set or bedroom set for 100 bucks and there is no way you can beat that at Ikea. Ya its a crap shoot and you won't get everything you want and it won't be exactly what you want and might need to be stripped and restained but who gives a gently caress, that poo poo is fun.

Honestly I kinda like putting together flat pack furniture. I just wish that there was a higher quality option.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i sleep on the roof

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

learnincurve posted:

lol there is no way in hell you can (reliably, without years of deal hunting) outfit a home with real mid century stuff for Ikea prices. anything that actually looks good and is in decent shape will cost you a shitload of money if you just want to go buy it at a store on demand. to say nothing of what extravagant lengths you'll have to go to if you want it to all match.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How much is a lot? I don't know Ikea prices but most all our MCM stuff has been in the 100-200 range.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

super nailgun posted:

lol there is no way in hell you can (reliably, without years of deal hunting) outfit a home with real mid century stuff for Ikea prices. anything that actually looks good and is in decent shape will cost you a shitload of money if you just want to go buy it at a store on demand.

Its not going to look good because the stain and varnish are all 50 years old. That's why you strip and restain the furniture. Then it all matches and looks good.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

Seriously dudes, Habitat for Humanity Re-stores are the best for furniture. You can find some cool, unique stuff for super cheap, and all of the proceeds go right back to the charity

The prices at our Habitat aren't what I would consider super cheap.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I had no idea people shopped for furniture often enough to form opinions about the retailers.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

karthun posted:

Its not going to look good because the stain and varnish are all 50 years old. That's why you strip and restain the furniture. Then it all matches and looks good.

People are absolutely not going to strip and stain their furniture they got after hounding auctions, eBay, garage sales, estate sales to try and save some maybe potential money when they are done with this process.

They are going to go to a store and buy the furniture when they need it and be done*.

*some assembly probably required

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dameius posted:

People are absolutely not going to strip and stain their furniture they got after hounding auctions, eBay, garage sales, estate sales to try and save some maybe potential money when they are done with this process.

They are going to go to a store and buy the furniture when they need it and be done*.

hobbyists would but at that point they're operating on a different standard than joe needs a new coffee table

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Fun tip: IKEA furniture is instantly worth twice the value when it is A) wood and B) you have wood glue going for all the dowels and joints while assembling. I'm not kidding. It goes from slapped together to magically sturdy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Doctor Butts posted:

That must vary by store, because mine is super cheap and all you have to do is show them the web site coupon on your phone to get another 10% off.

I put 2 used and one new window in the extension I built on my barn a few years back. Two we $20, one was $30. The $30 one was a brand new custom order from a local supplier. I brought the tag back to them (because I'm in all the time and it's a local family place) and they said it was a $450 window that they donated because the dimensions were off/customer problem/whatever. I did not care about specific window size, only general, since I was building it. I can make a "window hole" whatever size I need.

On to furniture.......there is a leather sofa I want for my office that I just haven't committed to because it's the most expensive sofa in there. They want $100 for it. (okay, really I just don't feel like bringing a truck there to pick it up and dealing with getting rid of one currently in my office).

Last time I was in they had several "grandmas dining room set" for 8 (table, chairs, server some with a china closet) for like $300-800. That's definitely Ikea pricing.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

karthun posted:

This does not help the case that searching out vintage furniture is in any way cost competitive with or even vaguely comparable to buying Ikea flatpack. Also even the same stain isn't going to make vintage pieces from different designers match in the same way that a room set from Ikea does. I personally enjoy the interior design equivalent of a clash outfit but lots of other people don't and Ikea lets them realize a unified design vision a drat sight cheaper and more easily than just about any other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah the few times I've been to a Re-store they've had generally poor selection and insane sticker shock at anything I was even remotely interested in. Bu this is the west coast so I imagine supply is lower (ty prop 13), people are more savvy to pricing, and demand is high