Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

except the order book is full of spoofer bots, so any orders down or up will jump away from you with any volume
yeah but i don't think they can jump out of the way of a single market order, i think the market order executes against the order book at the instant it's placed. could be wrong about that

i've occasionally had walls jump when i buy or sell into them but that's because there's some left after my order executes (i'm a small fry). usually they just sit there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Is that for all crypto exchanges or just one?
for individual exchanges, daily bitcoin volumes are in the tens or hundreds of millions (for the top exchanges). the sum volume of all exchanges adds up to several billion.

if you used $1.5 mil to tank the price on a low liquidity, low volume exchange, it wouldn't affect the other exchanges. people (or bots, more likely) would just take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity and bring the small exchange back up to near average market value

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So my question is: Will bitcoins ever drop down to like $50 again so I can buy like 10 of em and then wait for them to increase in value to like 100,000 so I can make tons of cash?

I don't wanna work and I'd rather just make a bit of money, not a lot of money but some so I can be semi rich and live the suburb lifestyle

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

MurderBot posted:

So my question is: Will bitcoins ever drop down to like $50 again so I can buy like 10 of em and then wait for them to increase in value to like 100,000 so I can make tons of cash?

I don't wanna work and I'd rather just make a bit of money, not a lot of money but some so I can be semi rich and live the suburb lifestyle
if they drop to $50 again then it will be because bitcoin has effectively died

they could definitely drop significantly in price and recover but it won't be that drastic (not 99%)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

aw :( So my chances of being a level 99 suburb owner with no mortage is effectively crushed?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

MurderBot posted:

aw :( So my chances of being a level 99 suburb owner with no mortage is effectively crushed?
only if taking advantage of a 2000x increase in price is the only conceivable way for you to achieve that

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MurderBot posted:

You can buy $500 worth now and hope it grows to a million bucks, it's probably more likely than the scenario you've laid out.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

MurderBot posted:

You don't have to buy whole bitcoins if you want to screw around with a few hundred bucks its real doable

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

https://twitter.com/JimBTC/status/932661010409893888

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

MurderBot posted:

Well, if bitcoins ever become the dominant currency of the world, each one will be worth like millions of dollars so it's got plenty of room!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Uranium 235 posted:

for individual exchanges, daily bitcoin volumes are in the tens or hundreds of millions (for the top exchanges). the sum volume of all exchanges adds up to several billion.

if you used $1.5 mil to tank the price on a low liquidity, low volume exchange, it wouldn't affect the other exchanges. people (or bots, more likely) would just take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity and bring the small exchange back up to near average market value

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

That's kinda what I thought. These exchanges seem like they would be very easy to manipulate. What a dumb idea for a "currency". Exchange shopping for God's sake. For a "currency". This is unlike any other market and any analogy to other markets make no sense.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You don't have to buy whole bitcoins if you want to screw around with a few hundred bucks its real doable

Hey idiot, why aren't you responding to the people pointing it you insisting that exchanges don't get hacked following an exchange getting hacked and having their solvency brought into question

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Hey idiot, why aren't you responding to the people pointing it you insisting that exchanges don't get hacked following an exchange getting hacked and having their solvency brought into question

Because the guy who has spent a year claiming that bitcoins are a not a scam, is not somehow required to respond to every twist and turn in the annals of Bitcoin

how loving stupid are you

poo poo on the internet gets hacked, avoid tether, also I'd avoid bitfinex too

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The mainline exchanges with high volume are fine for your bitcoins and transactions

If you go rooting around in goofy rear end altcoins and poorly coded exchanges in asia you might have problems, but 1 exchange getting hacked every few months is like straight up noise

Both hacks this year were rando places that very few people had money in, and yes 30 million is a drop in the bucket compared to larger exchanges

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Because the guy who has spent a year claiming that bitcoins are a not a scam, is not somehow required to respond to every twist and turn in the annals of Bitcoin

how loving stupid are you

poo poo on the internet gets hacked, avoid tether, also I'd avoid bitfinex too

The guy who has many times claimed that he desperately wants to return when Buttcoins succeed, shoving the quotes from idiots who didn't believe in it back in their face, now outright refusing to say anything about his own retard words that everyone said would be wrong turning out to be wrong

This is truly art

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

The guy who has many times claimed that he desperately wants to return when Buttcoins succeed, shoving the quotes from idiots who didn't believe in it back in their face, now outright refusing to say anything about his own retard words that everyone said would be wrong turning out to be wrong

This is truly art

What's art is your dumb posting that is at right angles to reality

Avoid goofy exchanges in asia or eastern europe and don't participate in weird rear end stuff or use a wallet if you are super loving paranoid

You can cash out bitcoins from every major exchange reliably, and for those that know what they are doing / want to live dangerously, the wild world of cryptocurrencies is open to them too

But presenting the goofy poo poo as representative of the entire thing is dumb as gently caress

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If a bank gets robbed 30 Mil it's national news. An interesting question may be at what point do 24 news networks pick up the story? You could then use the idea of a mention in national news vs how many millions need to be stolen in Bitcoin to peg a realistic price.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

As we all know, Bitfinex is a small time, rinky dink exchange, and thirty million dollars just outright being stolen isn't a big deal at all (Actually, the worst part is that it legitimately isn't, because of the ridiculous amounts of money usually lost in this nonsense)

Of course, even though this is totally all at odds with what you said before, this is not moving the goal posts at all and is in fact good for Buttcoin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

As we all know, Bitfinex is a small time, rinky dink exchange, and thirty million dollars just outright being stolen isn't a big deal at all (Actually, the worst part is that it legitimately isn't, because of the ridiculous amounts of money usually lost in this nonsense)

Of course, even though this is totally all at odds with what you said before, this is not moving the goal posts at all and is in fact good for Buttcoin

The quote completely leaves out the context of the conversation, which was about whether you could withdraw money from exchanges. And my point was that the "You can't cash out from an exchange" is up there with "Exchanges get hacked every day!"

Tether was neither mainstream nor widely used, it was speculative as poo poo (the 20th most popular altcoin!! WOW), how can you ignore allllll that crap just to push the "lmao it was on an exchange, and it got hacked, moving goalposts :smug:"

Don't buy Tether, and Bitfinex is shady as gently caress which is why that was a great match, so you heard it from me, when Bitfinex keeps having eventual issues you can consider my stance as having been "Avoid Bitfinex"

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I was big into Litecoin when Bitcoin was around 2500. I wish I bought some BTC instead...

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I am unaware if you realize that your argument that something is a myth just like exchanges getting hacked extremely often when exchanges do absolutely get hacked constantly, is mildly retarded

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

I am unaware if you realize that your argument that something is a myth just like exchanges getting hacked extremely often when exchanges do absolutely get hacked constantly, is mildly retarded

Two hacks this year, two, out of all the goofy rear end exchanges doing weird stuff all over the globe in the wild world of cryptocurrencies

At the same time non cryptocurrency companies get hacked regularly as poo poo and there's a news article daily about it

I consider that pretty decent and I'd tell people they can be comfortable using the big dogs like Gemini and Gdax. Make your choices accordingly and good luck

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Remember emptyGox? Those were the days

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Two hacks this year, two, out of all the goofy rear end exchanges doing weird stuff all over the globe in the wild world of cryptocurrencies

At the same time non cryptocurrency companies get hacked regularly as poo poo and there's a news article daily about it

I consider that pretty decent and I'd tell people they can be comfortable using the big dogs like Gemini and Gdax. Make your choices accordingly and good luck

Idiot goons. $30,000,000 being stolen is nothing when you consider the $450,000,000 in bitcoins that went missing when the exchange that handled 3/4ths of all worldwide bitcoin transactions went down. I mean that's like $6,800,000,000 at today's prices.

Even Bitfloor losing 24,000 bitcoins would dwarf that paltry $30,000,000 in today's prices at $192,000,000 lost.

Even Bitstamp losing 19,000 bitcoins would dwarf that paltry $30,000,000 in today's prices at $152,000,000 lost.

Bitfinex seems like a bump in the road after losing only 120,000 bitcoins which at today's prices would be $960,000,000

When you look at over two dozen examples of exchanges being hacked you only run into about ten billion dollars worth of thefts at today's prices, and one billion dollars worth of thefts at the time of those thefts. Who gives a poo poo about there only being two hacks this year? Thirty million? Get out of here.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Jose Canseco knows

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/933131368371859456

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Athletes are into cryptocurrency which should be a big red flag that it is a terrible "investment".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What's art is your dumb posting that is at right angles to reality

Avoid goofy exchanges in asia or eastern europe and don't participate in weird rear end stuff or use a wallet if you are super loving paranoid

You can cash out bitcoins from every major exchange reliably, and for those that know what they are doing / want to live dangerously, the wild world of cryptocurrencies is open to them too

But presenting the goofy poo poo as representative of the entire thing is dumb as gently caress

Bitfinex is one of those major exchanges; it's one of the biggest exchanges in the world and you just said not to use them.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Tether was neither mainstream nor widely used, it was speculative as poo poo (the 20th most popular altcoin!! WOW), how can you ignore allllll that crap just to push the "lmao it was on an exchange, and it got hacked, moving goalposts :smug:"

It is widely used on the major exchanges that you just said were trustworthy

You are completely oblivious!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Dude just last month I gave you a list of hacks demonstrating that there has been a hack every month since at least June, all in which customers had lost money. They were all top 50 exchanges, some top 10. I pointed this list out to you multiple times. Don't go pretending like those hacks didn't happen.

Even 2 hacks per year where customers lose staggering amounts of money would be pretty loving terrible but it's way more than that

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

Dude just last month I gave you a list of hacks demonstrating that there has been a hack every month since at least June, all in which customers had lost money. They were all top 50 exchanges, some top 10. I pointed this list out to you multiple times. Don't go pretending like those hacks didn't happen.

Even 2 hacks per year where customers lose staggering amounts of money would be pretty loving terrible but it's way more than that

okay i think it's well established that exchanges carry the massive and huge risk of losing your entire deposit.

now that that's settled, we can say "bbitcoins involve high risk, even higher risks are inherent to deposits held with 3rd parties"

apparently coinbase has their deposits insured?

regardless, just accept that bitcoining is risky case closed

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Ham sandwiches is an idiot who has a veneer of respectability but as soon as you ask him to provide evidence or present him with suitable evidence countering his position he just ignores you and continues spouting bullshit.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

It happens pretty often that he just arbitrarily decides he's not going to engage with a person's point, so yeah.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MurderBot posted:

Bitcoins will drop down to $50 but they'll never go back above $100 again after they do. If you want to be semi-rich, you need to either be a corrupt corporate crony or move to China, that's where the capital is going.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
At least the UNIX sysadmin who wrote a book (and in doing so made far more than Hammy off cryptocurrency) provided extensive citations to back up his points.

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

vortmax posted:

At least the UNIX sysadmin who wrote a book (and in doing so made far more than Hammy off cryptocurrency) provided extensive citations to back up his points.
Maybe Ham Sandwich's research is classified government data, that's why he can't share it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Manic Technophile posted:

Maybe Ham Sandwich's research is classified government data, that's why he can't share it.
Are you saying they're a CIA plant?

Actually....

It makes perfect sense when you think about it. Why else would they be so hyped about getting more people into Prosecution Futures?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MurderBot posted:

if you have a worthwhile job we will accept you back.
(We will accept you back as long as you try to do your job)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Literally nothing stopping you from liquidating the kid's college fund and becoming bitcoin rich. Right now

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if you have a worthwhile job we will accept you back.
(We will accept you back as long as you try to do your job)

I have a really good job but I'd rather just sit at home and watch youtube video's and not have to worry about a mortgage. I mean I'm not asking for that much.

temple posted:

Literally nothing stopping you from liquidating the kid's college fund and becoming bitcoin rich. Right now

lol kids are for nerds

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
125 bitcoins would make you a millionaire. That would've been 2500$ when it was 20$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

temple posted:

125 bitcoins would make you a millionaire. That would've been 2500$ when it was 20$

but there has been millions of $ lost.
Like they can't get back, because no one knows the key for them