Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it just me or do the majority of those solicits make it seem like these stories are just...treading old ground these days? Not all of them, but quite a number of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Is it just me or do the majority of those solicits make it seem like these stories are just...treading old ground these days? Not all of them, but quite a number of them.

Like what?

Green Lantern's fought Zod before (I think?) but it looks like it's a Zod-heavy month.

Wonder Woman's bad guys often go after the human friends she makes, I suppose, and the Titans are always breaking up and Blue Beetle's always ending. There's also often civil wars in Atlantis.

I don't like the newer Batgirl but I've liked the son of Penguin idea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well Talia Al Ghul is over in Super Sons being a crazy woman about her son yet again. How many times has she done this? When will she stop being a crazy woman about her son?

Zod isn't the part of Green Lantern Corps that feels like a retread, it's the part where the Guardians are being obtrusive dicks again and apparently they're also the "leaders of the Corps" again? I thought the whole point of the new GLC, and part of why it's been so good, is that John Stewart was leading the Corps and the Guardians are just gone like they should be.

Roy Harper is loving around with Cheshire again in Titans. Yawn? I feel like we've seen every single dang permutation of their relationship at this point that there is to see.

The whole Wonder Woman thing with Silver Swan feels like a retread of the Cheetah story that we had a whole twenty-five issue arc about when Rebirth started; someone used to be Diana's friend, something went wrong and that person becomes a villain, they blame Diana while Diana blames herself. Rinse and recycle.

e: This is all based on solicit impressions of course, which are often completely off-base from what the issues are actually about.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 21, 2017

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Well Talia Al Ghul is over in Super Sons being a crazy woman about her son yet again. How many times has she done this? When will she stop being a crazy woman about her son?

It hasn't happened much, as far as I can recall. Just once? She gave him up, wanted him back once then got him killed him all from Morrison. Her later appearance in Son of Batman was more because of his rival, the anti-Ghul (Lu'un Darga). Ra's was the one who hassles him more about going evil.

I don't realistically see the Guardians ever being taken from Lantern for very long, but yeah with the rest. I don't like him, but I guess people like Arsenal, I know they squee'd about him in Young Justice, at least.

But hey.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/harley-...ker-1202212632/

26 episodes of an adult animated Harley show.

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 21, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They've got Monsters In Love and Milk Wars if your regular comics are getting stale.
Priest's JL could be good!

e: The Terrifics. There's heaps new in February to try out.

ee: Giant trade sale at Comixology
https://www.comixology.com/DC-March-to-Black-Friday-Sale/page/16872?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

eee: Doc Shaner's on ___ Age collection cover duties.
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/932759526750720001
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/932761102747873280

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 21, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Zod isn't the part of Green Lantern Corps that feels like a retread, it's the part where the Guardians are being obtrusive dicks again and apparently they're also the "leaders of the Corps" again? I thought the whole point of the new GLC, and part of why it's been so good, is that John Stewart was leading the Corps and the Guardians are just gone like they should be.

Roy Harper is loving around with Cheshire again in Titans. Yawn? I feel like we've seen every single dang permutation of their relationship at this point that there is to see.

The whole Wonder Woman thing with Silver Swan feels like a retread of the Cheetah story that we had a whole twenty-five issue arc about when Rebirth started; someone used to be Diana's friend, something went wrong and that person becomes a villain, they blame Diana while Diana blames herself. Rinse and recycle.

e: This is all based on solicit impressions of course, which are often completely off-base from what the issues are actually about.

JLA seems to be rehashing the whole "Batman fucks up, people are pissed at him" schtick, with a different coat of paint

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Android Blues posted:

Right?

What kept striking me as I read that origin story comic was just, "none of what the Joker is doing is funny, there's no gimmick or shtick here, he's just murdering people". And the same goes for the Batman Who Laughs - he just like, murders his family, makes Superman kill his own family and murders the rest of the Justice League. Where are the jokes? He might as well have been Batman crossed with Mr. Zsasz.

I swear the vast majority of comics writers do not get the point of the Joker as a character.

Whipping out giant guns like he’s Big Head in The Mask at least looked ridiculous, but yeah none of it read as Joker or Batman or composite Batman/Jokerman. Couldn’t have planned one goofy death trap for at least Superman?

nofather posted:

He's not a comedian, he's Batman with Joker's morality.

I thought Joker’s morality boiled down to “it’s okay cause it’s funny”?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheHan posted:

Whipping out giant guns like he’s Big Head in The Mask at least looked ridiculous, but yeah none of it read as Joker or Batman or composite Batman/Jokerman. Couldn’t have planned one goofy death trap for at least Superman?

I thought Joker’s morality boiled down to “it’s okay cause it’s funny”?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I think this is what most writers lately are missing about the Joker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doomsday Clock is out.
It's very much an opening. There's not much crazy reality business going on besides a pair of new WatchU characters who have to have something to do with this person http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mali_(Prime_Earth) . I never read N52 Nightwing, but that'd be some coincidence.
Initial thumbs up, though.

e: Oop. Never mind about that character (maybe). I was remembering 'Mime' not 'Mimic'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 22, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think this is what most writers lately are missing about the Joker.
I imagine it's because writing a funny joke is hard. Or seems hard.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Doomsday Clock is pure unmitigated idiocy, a disaster, a moron exceeding his grasp by far.

The real question is whether it's going to be hilarious or just simply bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Doomsday Clock is pure unmitigated idiocy, a disaster, a moron exceeding his grasp by far.

Sorry. That's such a leap. Barely enough even happened for that grand declaration.

My big criticism would be the Ozy thing being a silly 'duh, duh DUMM!' reveal, but no big issue yet.
I liked the 'Dads' brand of tool in the back matter :)

edit: Here's what Clark was reading at the end https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden_Two

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 22, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry. That's such a leap.

I know how you and I feel about Watchmen are worlds apart, but I'm not saying it's untouchable, I'm just saying Geoff "Armrip" Johns and Gary "A Drawing That Looks Like Christopher Reeve" Frank are not the ones to touch it. Yes, I think Moore and Gibbons were cheated, and that probably does color my perspective, but even if I try to look with that put aside, I don't see much of worth. All I hope is that this car crash is funny instead of just depressing and bad.

It's Hamlet 2, dude, for good or ill.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 22, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Gary "A Drawing That Looks Like Christopher Reeve" Frank

That's no criticism!

I do wish they put a cleaner inker on him through. It was a bit sketchy, which I wouldn't imagine you'd want for the project.
Also no big flat shadings of pink :/

edit: As for Hamlet 2, I'm thinking Blade Runner 2. The ambiguous ending to the original is a crucial part and a sequel exploring past that is dumb and does it absolutely no favors... but it was still a good movie :)

$6 a pop is an expensive hate-read.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 22, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

The real question is whether it's going to be hilarious or just simply bad.
Ehh it seems totally fine to me but I do unironically look forward to Watchmen fans lose their poo poo about it for the next twelve months.

So anyway gently caress ROBINSON ON WONDER WOMAN SUCH A WORTHLESS ARC AMIRITE :kingsley:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's no criticism!

He's not my favorite kind of comics artist, but he's ok. He's no Gibbons though

BrianWilly posted:

Ehh it seems totally fine to me but I do unironically look forward to Watchmen fans lose their poo poo about it for the next twelve months.

I'll only lose my poo poo if it isn't funny. I'm hoping for the next Rise of Arsenal!

BrianWilly posted:

So anyway gently caress ROBINSON ON WONDER WOMAN SUCH A WORTHLESS ARC AMIRITE :kingsley:

I am just starting to finally continue reading Rebirth because my life is busy, and in honor of you I put a personal kibosh on reading the Robinson issues of Wonder Woman. I hope this pleases you.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
alright, while i'm ambivalent on the issue, the thing with the mime's equipment got a smile out of me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: As for Hamlet 2, I'm thinking Blade Runner 2. The ambiguous ending to the original is a crucial part and a sequel exploring past that is dumb and does it absolutely no favors... but it was still a good movie :)

$6 a pop is an expensive hate-read.

If the equivalent of Denis Villeneuve was doing this, I might agree. But we have Zack Snyder and Michael Bay, and not the Rock or Pain and Gain Bay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Etrigan mini is secretly the week's best comic, so eff Geoff anyway.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Neurosis posted:

alright, while i'm ambivalent on the issue, the thing with the mime's equipment got a smile out of me.

Yeah, that was good! I liked the comic and am interested in more.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't care what anybody says but that scene in Doomsday Clock with the Mime grabbing his unique arsenal of imaginary weapons was a great gag. And it's going to be really great when he inevitably uses the weapons and it turns out they're just invisible.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I also liked this comic book. It was a lot of set up, but I think it worked well. It kept me interested, which doesn't happen often enough with set-up issues like this.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was thinking of the sort of thing that'd make me actually interested in Doomsday Clock and the Joker killing Doctor Manhattan would be pretty rad:

DOCTOR MANHATTAN: You don't understand. I can SEE time. The future is solid. Unchanging. It didn't happen like this. I do not die like this.

JOKER: Well, that's the secret of a really good joke, Doc. You never see the punchline coming.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Rorschach is almost certainly Malcolm Long here, right?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Calvin Coolposts posted:

So Rorschach is almost certainly Malcolm Long here, right?

It would appear so. He supposedly died, showing his body in the original book, but it can be explained away. For one, his eyes are open while the other corpses' don't appear to be. He was in the psychic attack, and this issue spells it out that there were survivors who suffered 'permanent psychological damage'.

I think this works better than most other theories people have had.

SMP
May 5, 2009

There's no :jerkbag: big enough for this twitter liberal manifesto

Mime fuckin rules though.

SMP fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 22, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SMP posted:

lol

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wait so Doomsday Clock is set in our present?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SMP posted:

You dumbo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Etrigan mini is secretly the week's best comic, so eff Geoff anyway.

My LCS didn't order enough so I didn't get one today. :(

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

1992 in their world and regular time on Earth-0/Prime/whatever the gently caress it's called now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Whiled Doomsday Clock will never come close to the original Watchmen, it was an entertaining read. Mime is a great addition to the Watchmen universe and I'm intrigued about whatever is going on with the new Rorschach and the reason for Ozymandias to be scared shitless of him

Let's hope Johns can keep the quality through the whole series and not going to poo poo at the end like what it happened with Forever Evil and Darkseid War.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SMP posted:

lol u mad?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just read Doom Patrol #9. Never read anything else in the series.

I...I now understand why people say comic book series can be intimidating to jump into. I, I...what happened? I enjoyed it, I suppose. It was hilarious when the human Ragedy Anne doll told the Robot to suck eggs. I also thought the Copyright Withled God thing was interesting, but what? What happened?

Do trades exist for this series? I'm so lost.

Also, Black Lightning #1 was okay.

Oh...and Doomsday Clock feels in line with the original tone, Mime was a good addition, and I love all the obvious modern politics critiques.

Oh, I also read Mister Miracle #2. This series is loving gangbusters weird. The art really adds to the weirdness. Weird. Will buy Issue #3.

Think that's it for DC this week. Slow week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You've never had trouble jumping into the middle of a story before?
Here's the first trade. $4 digital ATM https://www.comixology.com/Doom-Patrol-2016-Vol-1-Brick-by-Brick/digital-comic/525286

It may also help to start Grant Morrison's old run, which this is very much a continuation of. Most of the characters come from there (and earlier, but most definitively there.)
https://www.comixology.com/Doom-Patrol-1987-1995/comics-series/7337
The muscle guy spin-off is a stone cold classic of comic book meta-narrative craziness https://www.comixology.com/Flex-Mentallo/comics-series/20769

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

You've never had trouble jumping into the middle of a story before?
Here's the first trade. $4 digital ATM https://www.comixology.com/Doom-Patrol-2016-Vol-1-Brick-by-Brick/digital-comic/525286

It may also help to start Grant Morrison's old run, which this is very much a continuation of. Most of the characters come from there (and earlier, but most definitively there.)
https://www.comixology.com/Doom-Patrol-1987-1995/comics-series/7337

I've been very good at waiting for jumping on points so like DC Rebirth or whatever the internet tells me is a good recent issue for newbies. I usually also have a general idea who I'm reading about. Like, even if Spider-Man is suddenly an alien parasite infesting the body of a person, I get that this a temporary thing and I know who the real spidey is. This is the first time I pulled something off the shelf with no knowledge and didn't even know who the main cast were or looked like. So, real shock.

Anyhoo, thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Doomsday Clock felt like something going for a literal translation instead of something deeper and more meaningful. It might be a good straightforward comic in that regard but it probably won't do anything amazing like the original Watchmen did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SMP posted:

fuckin libs bringing politics into watchmen

(gently caress off)