Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Remember when Will Muschamp came to UF and wanted to hire a handpicked offensive coordinator, but the boosters forced him to hire a waddling gunt name Charlie Weis instead? That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hey now, we had a decided schematic advantage every week

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I hope A&M blows their next hire because it's ridiculous for Aggy to expect better than 8 wins year in and year out in the West.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't understand why any AD would dictate what staff an incoming coach would be required to hire. If true, that's a colossal piece of stupidity by UF.

I can see it if the previous coach left for reasons unrelated to on field performance and the fanbase is satisfied with how things are going, although usually they promote someone internally in that case.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Remember when Will Muschamp came to UF and wanted to hire a handpicked offensive coordinator, but the boosters forced him to hire a waddling gunt name Charlie Weis instead? That was great.

Has that ever been confirmed or was it a rumor?

Also, you don't tell someone with as much success as Kelly how to run a program. Or anyone. If you're going to hand someone the keys you really need to let them succeed or fail on their own decisions. loving bullshit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's not an rear end in a top hat and he's a really bad coach. He's a good program builder, but he is such a horrific fit for there.

Schiano wasn't significantly better than the norm for Rutgers.

Lol

LeeMajors posted:

Also, you don't tell someone with as much success as Kelly how to run a program. Or anyone. If you're going to hand someone the keys you really need to let them succeed or fail on their own decisions. loving bullshit.

I know he’s said a few times that he wished he’d hired Roper from the start and that it would have saved his job but I’ve never seen the story that weis was forced on him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

It feels weird to say this but Weis as an offensive coordinator was probably not a bad possibly an actually good hire at the time on paper? He was coming off of a year where he made Matt Cassel look like an NFL quarterback and everyone was pissed at Todd Haley for running him off.

This is obviously all hilarious in retrospect.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

It feels weird to say this but Weis as an offensive coordinator was probably not a bad possibly an actually good hire at the time on paper? He was coming off of a year where he made Matt Cassel look like an NFL quarterback and everyone was pissed at Todd Haley for running him off.

This is obviously all hilarious in retrospect.

Yeah, I remember it being considered a 'home run hire.' I never heard any of the "poor Muschamp couldn't pick his own staff! :qq:"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had very high hopes for Weis. How could you not? He was a wildly successful NFL offensive coordinator.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

I had very high hopes for Weis. How could you not? He was a wildly successful NFL offensive coordinator.

Watching UF go into the half down to Furman in 2011, I had no idea it was a preamble to such offensive dysfunction.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I bet Weis fukken destroyed at the Gator Dining hall.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mike_V posted:

I hope A&M blows their next hire because it's ridiculous for Aggy to expect better than 8 wins year in and year out in the West.

Same. But to be fair I hope every single program other than the one I support whiffs on their next hire.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
My thoughts at the time were basically: "Muschamp and Weis, a defensive genius and an offensive genius, what could go wrong!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I for one welcome this new world where Florida is basically a mid-major.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nachos posted:

OCs come and go, but Tom Brady remains the same

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

Well, I for one welcome this new world where Florida is basically a mid-major.

:same:

Also Ohio State delenda est.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Florida isn't a top 10 job. Top 20, yeah, but not top 10.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Raku posted:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

What 10 other jobs are better?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike_V posted:

I've defended Sumlin for a long time, including after this year's UCLA loss, but I feel like we've seen what his ceiling is post-Johnny/Kingsbury, and it's 8-4. If we can't get over that hill in two absolute dogshit years for the SEC, then when? I understand that this program's floor is a lot lower than most Aggies think it is- we could easily make a bad hire and turn into Arkansas, but if this is our ceiling then we might as well all just eat a bullet.

Sumlin recruits as well as anybody could ever be expected to at A&M, but for whatever reason the talent development (and utilization) has just been incredibly lacking. Look at a Reggie Bush-level force of nature like Christian Kirk, and how he disappears for games at a time because even after three years nobody's been able to figure out how to put the ball in his hands on a regular basis. Look at how the offensive line that gave Manziel an eternity to throw the ball or do whatever got steadily worse every year we got further away from Sherman.

With all of this said, I hope they're not pulling the trigger without a slam-dunk hire lined up. We could do a lot worse than we're doing right now, and we will do worse if we're just making an emotional decision.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 22, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

Dude you're fuckin retarded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

If you're talking overall in terms of "overall current colleges" sure, but in terms of current openings in D-I FBS? It's the "top".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't see how Florida isn't in the top 10 of FBS full-stop. Big money, nationally prominent, tons of success in the past 30 years, flagship(ish) program of one of the nation's most talent-rich states.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

I don't see how Florida isn't in the top 10 of FBS full-stop. Big money, nationally prominent, tons of success in the past 30 years, flagship(ish) program

hell yeah GD all this poo poo applies to Nebraska too maybe it's still a pretty goo

General Dog posted:

of one of the nation's most talent-rich states.

gently caress

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Over the last thirty years Florida is top ten in win percent, recruit class rankings, football revenue, and athletic department revenue. Florida is tied for second most national championships over the last thirty years (not coincidentally with the other two big schools in the state).

Money, recruits, wins, championships.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LLCoolJD posted:

I don't understand why any AD would dictate what staff an incoming coach would be required to hire. If true, that's a colossal piece of stupidity by UF.

VT did this actually but a coach would need to be retarded to turn down Bud Foster.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Also my top ten jobs are (not in order):

Bama, ND, Ohio State, UF, FSU, LSU, USC, Michigan, Penn State, Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It seems like Virginia should be a way better job (and obviously program) than it is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm seriously wracking my brain for ten jobs that are clearly better than UF.

Contenders: Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida State, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State....? Any others? Wisconsin?

The ones that are most easily arguable as better might be Bama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas, but really only Bama/USC/Texas are clearly better jobs.

I think you could argue that UF is better than (or equal to) the rest. The major downside is the pressure from the fanbase, but that isn't unique to UF by any stretch.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OSU is pretty clearly a better job, i think. Much better facilities and investment from the school, by far the best program in a fertile recruiting ground, easier path to the playoff, etc.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 22, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

There are a number of schools at which an elite coach can succeed.

Schools with built-in advantages:
USC, LSU, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, Georgia, FSU, Miami.

Schools with fewer advantages but tons of prestige/fan support:
Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.

It's all extremely subjective.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

OSU is pretty clearly a better job, i think. Much better facilities and investment from the school, by far the best program in a fertile recruiting ground, easier path to the playoff, etc.

I don’t disagree. Ok, so 4 that are clearly better?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

OSU also notched a win in the “did your head coach fake a terminal heart condition to get out of coaching for you so he could go here instead?” column.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

It seems like Virginia should be a way better job (and obviously program) than it is.

Nobody at Virginia gives a poo poo about football (fanbase and administration). We're pretty ok with this

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

YOLOsubmarine posted:

OSU also notched a win in the “did your head coach fake a terminal heart condition to get out of coaching for you so he could go here instead?” column.

That episode makes Florida look worse than OSU, imo.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

That episode makes Florida look worse than OSU, imo.

Who can honestly say that Urban Meyer would have done the same had Nick Saban been coaching the Michigan Wolverines at the time? I'm pretty sure he would have stayed put in Gainesville had that been the case.

This is not meant to be a criticism of his decision to move away. It made a lot of sense, actually.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LLCoolJD posted:

Who can honestly say that Urban Meyer would have done the same had Nick Saban been coaching the Michigan Wolverines at the time? I'm pretty sure he would have stayed put in Gainesville had that been the case.

This is not meant to be a criticism of his decision to move away. It made a lot of sense, actually.

The whole thing was pretty weird, and even when he left Florida, if I remember right, everyone was already joking it was just so he could take the OSU job.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Nick Saban destroyed Urbz will to live.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

You know you're a hot commodity when you spurn Notre Dame to go to Florida, and then spurn Florida to go to Ohio State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
A&M is a pretty good job, although obviously not at the level of Florida/Texas/Bama/OSU or even LSU. Tons of money, new facilities, only SEC school in a football-mad state. Downsides: an absolutely insane fanbase with exceedingly high expectations, located in College Station

Sumlin is a pretty good coach who can recruit very well, but Gen. Dog is right that he hasn't done a good job at developing said players (especially quarterbacks). Although I still think he deserves more time, the Mazzone hire was probably his undoing.

• Locked thread