Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Groovelord Neato posted:

religion is the opium of the people and some people OD.

This is america, opiates are the opium of the masses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The ICE thing doesn't surprise me. I vaguely recall running across a few different takes where the argument is that either the father doesn't play enough of a role in the child's life for his deportation to have an impact... or making the dad jump through hoops re dna testing that they couldn't afford. Etc.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Feral Integral posted:

I've done it! After years of rigorous study and countless test subjects sacrificed, I have discovered the solution to significant traffic reduction. The magical auto-sort algorithm is as follows:

code:
car.lane = 'r'
if car_in_front_is_going_slower_than_desired_speed():
    car.change_lane('l')
    car.speed_up(car.desired_speed)
    car.change_lane('r')
    car.turn_on_cruise_control()
else
    print('dont loving do anything else')

I'm not sure why you think reducing the effective number of lanes on every road everywhere would significantly change things. Also I gotta get off this interstate on the left in a mile and a half, so I'm in my lane now because I can't count on being let in at the exit.

The whole passing lane thing doesn't really apply to anywhere with actual heavy traffic, it's just for fuckers in the suburbs who think traffic is one dude in a Subaru obeying the speed limit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Couldn't a computer be a lot better at this kind of thing

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love how teams in the NBA don't give a gently caress when their players poo poo on Trump. For some reason tho he never hits back and they have been way more vocal than anyone in the NFL.

I don't get why fatass orange man doesn't fight back against NBA players.

Maybe he thinks only "the blacks" watch it?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Remember the White House petitions website? And how if something got 100,000 signatures, the White House would provide a response? Not a single petition has been responded to since Trump was inaugurated.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Parking in Philadelphia is pretty gnarly. I just checked Spot Hero, and there's a parking space for booking available, thirty bucks for three hours. A little on the high end, but hey, I can park there now and not spend an hour finding a goddamn spot that might be near where I want to be.

Alternatively, with a self driving car I can spend five bucks on gas and have it drive around randomly at Philadelphia inner city speeds for three hours instead.

The streets are overpacked already; self-driving cars will absolutely destroy this city.

WIth automated cars comes automated parking garages! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLrvGhcoaQ

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I love how teams in the NBA don't give a gently caress when their players poo poo on Trump. For some reason tho he never hits back and they have been way more vocal than anyone in the NFL.

he's permamad at football because he tried and failed to become a football magnate in a failed league

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League

quote:

In 1985, the USFL voted to move from a spring to a fall schedule in 1986 to compete directly with the NFL. This was done at the urging of New Jersey Generals majority owner Donald Trump and a handful of other owners as a way to force a merger between the leagues. As part of this strategy, the USFL filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the National Football League in 1986, and a jury ruled that the NFL had violated anti-monopoly laws. However, in a victory in name only, the USFL was awarded a judgment of just $1, which under anti-trust laws, was tripled to $3. This court decision effectively ended the USFL. The league never played the 1986 season, and by the time it folded, it had lost over US$163 million.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Edit: To turn the subject back to Fuehrer Trump, Dana Milbank posted what I think is an excellent article in the Post in response to shucks asking reporters to say what they're thankful for

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/thank-you-george-w-bush-and-sally-yates/2017/11/21/c6ca7504-cf00-11e7-a1a3-0d1e45a6de3d_story.html

From the comments:

quote:

I'm thankful of waking up everyday living in New Hebron Mississippi. I'm thankful that I own 4 AR-15's and no terrorist will ever attack my well armed town. I'm thankful that the Liberal agenda of importing AIDS, welfare queens and criminals will never take root here. I'm thankful that no one in my town cries about made up things like white privilege, trigger warning, safe spaces etc. Most of all I'm thankful that Trump is truly making America great again!

This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be real.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Aren't NBA owners way more liberal than NFL owners, also aren't individual players in the NBA much more powerful than individual football players?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twice burned ice posted:

have you never heard the parable of the sour grapes

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm not sure why you think reducing the effective number of lanes on every road everywhere would significantly change things. Also I gotta get off this interstate on the left in a mile and a half, so I'm in my lane now because I can't count on being let in at the exit.

The whole passing lane thing doesn't really apply to anywhere with actual heavy traffic, it's just for fuckers in the suburbs who think traffic is one dude in a Subaru obeying the speed limit.

It doesn't work in anywhere with heavy traffic because nobody is following the algorithm, doofus

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

There is virtually no way the software (which, you're right, will be incredibly bad) will not be better than human drivers. Statistically speaking, we are quite terrible at it.

Even if processing time to determine an action like braking or weaving are equal, human nerve impulses travel about 275 miles per hour, while theoretically, a signal transmission thru wire, fiber optics, or wireless transmission is a significant fraction of the speed of light. Hardware is always going to beat a human synapse at reaction.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

twice burned ice posted:

From the comments:

I live in Mississippi, a little over an hour north of New Hebron, and I can assure you that is very real

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Feral Integral posted:

It doesn't work in anywhere with heavy traffic because nobody is following the algorithm, doofus

A four lane interstate where everyone is going twenty miles an hour would not go faster if people wove in and out of lanes more.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

twice burned ice posted:

From the comments:

Totally real. I grew up in on the MS border in TN and that guy could basically be my crazy prepper dad. Although, that gun number seems low.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

WIth automated cars comes automated parking garages! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLrvGhcoaQ

Unless that parking garage is cheaper than the gas spent at 10 mph, why would anyone use it?

(And if it is, in a location close to anywhere anyone would want to go, there's probably more profitable things to use that real estate for. Another coffee shop, maybe)

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

A four lane interstate where everyone is going twenty miles an hour would not go faster if people wove in and out of lanes more.

You are a bad driver lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Aramis posted:

What? The Nysquist limit has nothing to do with how much information is encodable in a waveform, it's about how much information you need in order to represent that waveform, it's literally the other way around.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon–Hartley_theorem is the real limit here

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, I don't disagree designing walkable spaces and mass transit are good, but I commute to work by bus and even without traffic the commute is close to an hour. A direct drive is like 20 to 30 minutes. Self-driving cars seem fantastic for cities that already have sprawl issues. Fixing existing problems with mass transit seems pretty difficult.

Can you please just loving live closer to your work

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Feral Integral posted:

You are a bad driver lol

Weaving in and out of traffic contributes to congestion because people are stupid. I bet you change lanes in intersections too.

Self-driving cars that talk to each other would do monumental good for traffic congestion by itself. Bring on our new mechanical overlords.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Enkmar posted:

Having just gotten through two apartment-related fiscal nightmares to move back to the city, I can tell you that you are loving adorable.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Enkmar posted:

I don't think this will really work until living costs are somehow lowered in areas with all the work. Like when I was working DC and paying half of my otherwise decent salary just to live in a suburb outside

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

also aren't individual players in the NBA much more powerful than individual football players?

I see you read my sports fan fiction. Wait till you see chapter 2

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

You are a bad driver lol

You're actually bad at solving a problem there is an entire industry devoted to solving and being smug about it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Enkmar posted:

lol

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

silicone thrills posted:

Totally real. I grew up in on the MS border in TN and that guy could basically be my crazy prepper dad. Although, that gun number seems low.

That's only the number they admit to having where the government (bad parts) might see it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Enkmar posted:

Look at this fuckin guy

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Roy Moore's communication director resigned

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

canepazzo posted:

can't be, he's got all this momentum, the thread keeps telling me

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Enkmar posted:

i'm in the same boat, if i took mass transit to my office it's an hour minimum because it's a bus trip and then two train trips, assuming i dont drive myself to the train station

if i drive directly from my house to my office, it's about 12 minutes without traffic or 45 minutes with traffic

mass transit is often a longer trip than just going directly from a to b

canepazzo posted:

roy moore had a communication director?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

can't be, he's got all this momentum, the thread keeps telling me

I think you mean 'Moorementum'.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mustached Demon posted:

Weaving in and out of traffic contributes to congestion because people are stupid. I bet you change lanes in intersections too.

Self-driving cars that talk to each other would do monumental good for traffic congestion by itself. Bring on our new mechanical overlords.

Lol yes we need automatic driving machines _right now_ because humans can't manage to follow a simple driving rule like 'staying in the slow lane unless you need to exit or pass (and then getting back into the slow lane to cruise at your desired speed)'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Enkmar posted:

Just jump in the house cannon to home land and get yourself a new home right off the vine! IT's that simple!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

You're actually bad at solving a problem there is an entire industry devoted to solving and being smug about it

Actually the solution is simple, see my post where i provide an amazingly complex algorithm

e: also let me take this time to laugh at the autist posters who looked at my super algorithm and were like 'bbbut i can't handle thinking abstractly to the extent that i can't extrapolate the idea of passing to 4-lane highways'

like for example my homeboy bicyclops V

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

Lol yes we need automatic driving machines _right now_ because humans can't manage to follow a simple driving rule like 'staying in the slow lane unless you need to exit or pass (and then getting back into the slow lane to cruise at your desired speed)'

You're incredibly stupid and being very loud about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Feral Integral posted:

Actually the solution is simple, see my post where i provide an amazingly complex algorithm

you're not accounting for trucks or bad/old/inexperienced/distracted drivers

turns out driving is complex social behavior, who ever would have imagined

maybe if you're smug enough you can cut through all that bullshit with a clean hanzo razor of logic and rationality

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

The slow lane doesn't exist on a real freeway. Maybe on a two way little country road, but when it's a 6 lane 70+ mph freeway, and exits only exist on the right most lane, it doesn't work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
turns out the "good driving algorithm" derail is just an echo of the "checklist before i can kiss a girl" derail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Enkmar posted:

My work is in a business park that's smack dab in the middle of suburbs. There's basically very few places to rent close and I doubt anything is particularly affordable.

• Locked thread