Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

shrike82 posted:

If there's a 10e-3 chance we'll "science" our way out of it, I'd say that there's a 10e-4 probability that we'll voluntarily decrease our consumption so Thug Life isn't wrong.

Absolutely, there's no way 3 billion brown aren't going to increase their consumption in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

There's always the possibility that overall consumption is decreased through death

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Limiting climate change is one of those tasks that appears impossible if you can only see your current position and how far it is to where you need to be. The distance from here to their just looks impossible to traverse. What good will one one step forward do when the distance is so great? Yet all process consists of many small steps, you just can’t tell you’re getting closer when you’ve got your eyes glued to the ground.

Too many here talk like they’re ready to lie down and die. Well I’m still alive and that means I’m not giving up. Get your drat heads straight

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Salted_Pork posted:

Absolutely, there's no way 3 billion brown aren't going to increase their consumption in the future.

What occurred at the Paris Climate talks with India seems like a good approach.

India planned on a huge increase in coal plants and wasn't going to sign the accords. A deal was arranged that enabled India to build solar plants and get financing at far lower rates than the typical World Bank ones.

India signed the deal.

Given Africa and India (and now Puerto Rico's) lack of a decent grid, decentralized solar (and wind in some cases) can be a solution.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Given Africa and India (and now Puerto Rico's) lack of a decent grid, decentralized solar (and wind in some cases) can be a solution.

This is encouraging, but renewables more than anything need a grid due to their non-dispatchable nature. This is definitely a step in the right direction though, as neither Rome nor electrical grid can be built in a day, and any access to power can get people playing candy crush instead of loving.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Salted_Pork posted:

This is encouraging, but renewables more than anything need a grid due to their non-dispatchable nature. This is definitely a step in the right direction though, as neither Rome nor electrical grid can be built in a day, and any access to power can get people playing candy crush instead of loving.

These are areas with lower use requirements. I'm thinking village sized installations with battery backups.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

As for natural gas: unless you're either going to somehow accelerate adoption of renewables, build nuclear reactors far faster than they've ever been deployed in history, or rapidly reduce energy consumption (with the concomitant recessions this would produce), then it's going to have include widespread adoption of natural gas. I'm sympathetic to the lobbying argument, but as far as I can tell fossil fuel companies already lobby as hard as possible, and it's surely going to be politically easier to retire those plants early than to enact drastic measures right now.

Doesn't natural gas have the problem that the infrastructure used to shuttle it around is super leaky, so any net gains in reduced carbon emmissions due to the fact that it's cleaner than coal and oil or whatever are made up for and then some by the fact that non-negligable amounts of methane are being leaked into the areas surrounding the crumbling pipelines?

edit:

yeah I remember reading about it in this article last year

https://www.economist.com/news/business/21702493-natural-gass-reputation-cleaner-fuel-coal-and-oil-risks-being-sullied-methane

A Spherical Sponge fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 15, 2017

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
volcels, the last great hope for planet earth

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

A Spherical Sponge posted:

Doesn't natural gas have the problem that the infrastructure used to shuttle it around is super leaky, so any net gains in reduced carbon emmissions due to the fact that it's cleaner than coal and oil or whatever are made up for and then some by the fact that non-negligable amounts of methane are being leaked into the areas surrounding the crumbling pipelines?

edit:

https://www.economist.com/news/business/21702493-natural-gass-reputation-cleaner-fuel-coal-and-oil-risks-being-sullied-methane

Fracking as well releases a lot of methane at the wellhead.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SciShow made a video that should be in the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9EyFghIt5o

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

A Spherical Sponge posted:

edit:

That's a good article but it doesn't match your summary. They're talking to Steve Hamburg from the EDF, and while he's one of the gloomiest people on methane emissions levels he's generally upbeat. He notes that even current levels of fugitive emissions aren't enough to match the overall emissions benefits and that, even if they were, they're still better in the long term because CH4 is a short-lived GHG. He's also positive about controlling the existing fugitive emissions, stating elsewhere that "This is a positive story... The data show that fixing this will be cost-effective for a relatively modest investment". It's a win-win scenario where fixing these problems will benefit both environmental campaigners by reducing GHG emissions and fossil fuel companies by increasing efficiency and profits. The same story also notes that even while natural gas extraction is increasing rapidly, overall leakage is actually being reduced. It's certainly a problem and we should be trying to fix it, but it's not something that undermines the massive benefits of natural gas in combating climate change.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Here's a nice article from the Atlantic about the US Democrat party's strategy to address climate change (hint: there isn't one). If nothing else it's a nice summary of recent attempts to address climate change at the US federal level, although the main point of the article is the Democrats don't have a unified strategy and it's unclear they can create one. Particularly relevant:

The Atlantic posted:

Democrats face at least three major problems in trying to formulate a climate policy.

First, the relationship between environmentalists and labor groups has disintegrated since 2009. Once upon a time, unions widely supported Waxman-Markey. The bill funded assistance for workers put out of work during the transition away from fossil fuels and launched “green-job” retraining programs. It also provided tens of billions in funding for “carbon capture and sequestration,” an experimental technology that would possibly have allowed coal plants to keep running. But when it failed, the pan-Democratic consensus fell apart with it.
The antagonistic approach to pipelines and other fossil-fuel projects has also alienated labor. Construction-union workers still spend much more time building pipelines than installing renewables. Divorced from a unified legislative campaign—and the promise of federal funding—the new environmental antagonism can seem to run directly counter to worker interests.

Labor is not committed to addressing climate change as they (correctly) predict union jobs will inevitably be lost. There is justified skepticism that the federal govt can mitigate the economic impact via assistance or retraining. The Democrats likely need to sweep the House+Senate+Presidency to pass substantive climate change legislation in the face of unified Republican opposition. However any such proposed legislation will likely be deeply controversial even within the party, making such a sweep hard.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sir I know that it will literally kill the planet if we don't pass this bill, but the rich man who donates millions to my campaign tells me that this bill must not pass.

Repeat on down until there is a solid chunk of the nation who thinks climate change is fake.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Shifty Nipples posted:

SciShow made a video that should be in the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9EyFghIt5o
This is all stuff I've heard before, but did other people find it helpful?

If there's anything else people think the OP needs, let me know.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Minge Binge posted:

Some nice bombs within the last month. CO2 concentrations accelerating, and now emissions are still increasing. noice

What a bomb, that thing that has been happening forever hasn't stopped happening...

call to action posted:

b-b-but i was told that the chinese were making great strides in carbon emissionhahahahahha

seriously you're so dumb if you ever believed that

from the article:

:confused:

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

That's a good article but it doesn't match your summary. They're talking to Steve Hamburg from the EDF, and while he's one of the gloomiest people on methane emissions levels he's generally upbeat. He notes that even current levels of fugitive emissions aren't enough to match the overall emissions benefits and that, even if they were, they're still better in the long term because CH4 is a short-lived GHG. He's also positive about controlling the existing fugitive emissions, stating elsewhere that "This is a positive story... The data show that fixing this will be cost-effective for a relatively modest investment". It's a win-win scenario where fixing these problems will benefit both environmental campaigners by reducing GHG emissions and fossil fuel companies by increasing efficiency and profits. The same story also notes that even while natural gas extraction is increasing rapidly, overall leakage is actually being reduced. It's certainly a problem and we should be trying to fix it, but it's not something that undermines the massive benefits of natural gas in combating climate change.

Oh okay. Well I'm happy to be proven wrong in my initial assessment I guess :) Initially when I reread that article I was also thinking that the fact that because methane was a short lived GHG would mean that it isn't as dangerous overall as CO2 despite being a more powerful GHG overall (in the sense of trapping more heat over shorter timescales), but then I also remember reading (though I can't find the article) that there's a big problem with methane leakage in towns and cities because the infrastructure there that carries the gas hasn't been updated in decades and decades, and that it was causing adverse health outcomes in the usually poor neighbourhoods where it was an issue and was just generally dangerous for everybody. I think I was conflating the two issues in my head because the pipes in the urban/suburban areas are the pipes that are literally crumbling. But I suppose that's a separate issue to the methane leaks that happen in the middle of nowhere in the big pipelines maintained by the companies themselves that would be contributing the most to total fugitive emissions (at least I imagine so), and more to do with chronic underinvestment in civic infrastructure than what the article I linked was talking about.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I really hope kids who grow up with climate change deniers just end up hating their parents. If their folks are still alive when things get nasty, I hope they have the courage to look them in the eye and say "gently caress you, you killed me because you couldn't give up hamburgers and gasoline. You're trash." Baby Boomers will be dead, but there are still young people out there who are having kids of their own right now who worship Tomi Lahren and other conservative pundits.

I try to level headed when talking to these people but it's gotten to the point where a reasonable statement like "The environment is important because that's where food comes from, and a civil society requires agriculture" makes you a "libtard". We're all part of the problem, but they seem to enjoy making it worse out of spite. It's just spite for liberals and nothing more. This whole thing just makes me feel cynical.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 18, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RobotDogPolice posted:

I really hope kids who grow up with climate change deniers just end up hating their parents. If their folks are still alive when things get nasty, I hope they have the courage to look them in the eye and say "gently caress you, you killed me because you couldn't give up hamburgers and gasoline. You're trash." Baby Boomers will be dead, but there are still young people out there who are having kids of their own right now who worship Tomi Lahren and other conservative pundits.

I try to level headed when talking to these people but it's gotten to the point where a reasonable statement like "The environment is important because that's where food comes from, and a civil society requires agriculture" makes you a "libtard". We're all part of the problem, but they seem to enjoy making it worse out of spite. It's just spite for liberals and nothing more. This whole thing just makes me feel cynical.
Hopefully they'll vote for the Feed Baby Boomers' Faces to Leopards Party.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

RobotDogPolice posted:

If you take civilisation and conveniences of modern life for granted, then obviously anyone who claims your way of life is under threat is threatening your way of life and can be safely assumed to be insane.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/932945102355476480

quote:

The ocean floor gets deeper toward the center of this part of Antarctica, so each new iceberg that breaks away exposes taller and taller cliffs. Ice gets so heavy that these taller cliffs can’t support their own weight. Once they start to crumble, the destruction would be unstoppable.

“Ice is only so strong, so it will collapse if these cliffs reach a certain height,” explains Kristin Poinar, a glaciologist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. “We need to know how fast it’s going to happen.”

In the past few years, scientists have identified marine ice-cliff instability as a feedback loop that could kickstart the disintegration of the entire West Antarctic ice sheet this century — much more quickly than previously thought.

Minute-by-minute, huge skyscraper-sized shards of ice cliffs would crumble into the sea, as tall as the Statue of Liberty and as deep underwater as the height of the Empire State Building. The result: a global catastrophe the likes of which we’ve never seen.

quote:

“With marine ice cliff instability, sea-level rise for the next century is potentially much larger than we thought it might be five or 10 years ago,” Poinar says.

A lot of this newfound concern is driven by the research of two climatologists: Rob DeConto at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and David Pollard at Penn State University. A study they published last year was the first to incorporate the latest understanding of marine ice-cliff instability into a continent-scale model of Antarctica.

Their results drove estimates for how high the seas could rise this century sharply higher. “Antarctic model raises prospect of unstoppable ice collapse,” read the headline in the scientific journal Nature, a publication not known for hyperbole.

Instead of a three-foot increase in ocean levels by the end of the century, six feet was more likely, according to DeConto and Pollard’s findings. But if carbon emissions continue to track on something resembling a worst-case scenario, the full 11 feet of ice locked in West Antarctica might be freed up, their study showed.

quote:

Around 3 million years ago, when global temperatures were about as warm as they’re expected to be later this century, oceans were dozens of feet higher than today.

Previous models suggested that it would take hundreds or thousands of years for sea-level rise of that magnitude to occur. But once they accounted for marine ice-cliff instability, DeConto and Pollard’s model pointed toward a catastrophe if the world maintains a “business as usual” path — meaning we don’t dramatically reduce carbon emissions.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Miami send-off goonmeet? I've never been but I'd like to see it before it becomes Atlantis.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Groper posted:

Miami send-off goonmeet? I've never been but I'd like to see it before it becomes Atlantis.

Stake Rick Scott to the beach at low tide?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

RobotDogPolice posted:

They won't. Even with the worst predictions, worst case scenario stuff, you know who'll survive? It's the rich fuckers in their mansions and gated communities and fortified settlements. They'll employ people like me to monitor their food and water, others to grow it, others to maintain it.

It's the poor who always starve. But you know the link, the best link? It's the soldiers.

You can't rely on us middle-class scientist types, we're weak...morally. Hell, you can buy most scientists and engineers off just by giving them a problem.

If things DO become that catastrophic, there will be a whole strata of private security operators who are basically the army. But they'll be humans with regular roots in the normal community. And the rich fucker is going right down when his own bodyguard is the one to put the bullet in his head. Also, legally, it's not murder. Technically it's protecting your children.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

IronClaymore posted:

They won't. Even with the worst predictions, worst case scenario stuff, you know who'll survive? It's the rich fuckers in their mansions and gated communities and fortified settlements. They'll employ people like me to monitor their food and water, others to grow it, others to maintain it.

It's the poor who always starve. But you know the link, the best link? It's the soldiers.

You can't rely on us middle-class scientist types, we're weak...morally. Hell, you can buy most scientists and engineers off just by giving them a problem.

If things DO become that catastrophic, there will be a whole strata of private security operators who are basically the army. But they'll be humans with regular roots in the normal community. And the rich fucker is going right down when his own bodyguard is the one to put the bullet in his head. Also, legally, it's not murder. Technically it's protecting your children.

The security people will be robots.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

You severely overestimate silicon valley.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

ErichZahn posted:

You severely overestimate silicon valley.

Depends on how quickly this all happens, give it 50 years or so & I'm pretty sure we will have full on terminator style autonomous robotic soldiers.

I've seen this driving around, admittedly there's a passenger in the driving seat but it gets around Oxford fine.
http://ori.ox.ac.uk/application/robotcar/

I can only imagine what the military have done with this.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
The robots don't have to be smart to kill everything that isn't rich and making a few mistakes is okay since it's only people being killed not money burning

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm convinced the only reason we haven't had a spree of suicide-quadcopter assassinations is because we haven't had a sufficiently pissed off software engineer yet.

Give it time.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Would it really be that hard to strap a gun to a drone and give it a "Shoot anyone who isnt wearing an ID" program?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RobotDogPolice posted:

Would it really be that hard to strap a gun to a drone and give it a "Shoot anyone who isnt wearing an ID" program?

yes

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Thanks for this one. The links don't work for me directly, though... even in other tweets talking about the article.

Odd... so here's a direct link.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

They never said it'd have to work perfectly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RobotDogPolice posted:

If your criteria for a sensor is 'activate when thing not found' then you're going to have a lot of false positives. The rich are not that many nominally speaking so false positives would be a big deal. Optimally, you would just mark all the poor people pre-emptively through forced implants or whatever and then have your camera-guns open fire on anyone bearing the mark.

Alternatively, you just mimic Frontex/South Korea and have your automatised detection system report to an officer which then has to make the call. Hell, South Korea already has autonomous guns in systems like this and I'm sure the EU is going to in 10 years as well with were we are heading when it comes to human rights.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Actually you just have the drones kill anyone not in the rich people bunkers

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Trainee PornStar posted:

Depends on how quickly this all happens, give it 50 years or so & I'm pretty sure we will have full on terminator style autonomous robotic soldiers.

I've seen this driving around, admittedly there's a passenger in the driving seat but it gets around Oxford fine.
http://ori.ox.ac.uk/application/robotcar/

I can only imagine what the military have done with this.

People here tend to be massively ignorant when it comes to silicon valley . Like go read the beginning of the tech thread that started 2 years ago - people seriously thought (because they are clueless cynics) that self driving cars were to magic thing that were at least several decades, if not a half a century away :lol:

Meanwhile they've been tested on city roads for millions of miles and the only accidents have been the ones created by real drivers. People largely don't have a loving clue about how fast progress is being made on a lot of tech that is going to make the internet revolution look like blip on the radar.

Nocturtle posted:

Here's a nice article from the Atlantic about the US Democrat party's strategy to address climate change (hint: there isn't one). If nothing else it's a nice summary of recent attempts to address climate change at the US federal level, although the main point of the article is the Democrats don't have a unified strategy and it's unclear they can create one. Particularly relevant:

Labor is not committed to addressing climate change as they (correctly) predict union jobs will inevitably be lost. There is justified skepticism that the federal govt can mitigate the economic impact via assistance or retraining. The Democrats likely need to sweep the House+Senate+Presidency to pass substantive climate change legislation in the face of unified Republican opposition. However any such proposed legislation will likely be deeply controversial even within the party, making such a sweep hard.

This is why Hillary got laughed out of oil country, blabbering about retraining sounds good to some people's ears but they know better than most it never actually works in reality. Of course Trump had no solution either, so :shrug:

VideoGameVet posted:

What occurred at the Paris Climate talks with India seems like a good approach.

India planned on a huge increase in coal plants and wasn't going to sign the accords. A deal was arranged that enabled India to build solar plants and get financing at far lower rates than the typical World Bank ones.

India signed the deal.

The problem is it's impossible to decouple increases in standards of living from gg emissions because people loving love meat. It's less of an issue in India but in China thats going to mean a lot more beef consumption. Even in India I'm sure it will be a lot more lamb consumption or something similar that has significantly more footprint than say veggies or chicken.

I mean theoretically you could turn everything into nuclear and solar and cut off most emissions from that but there's no real way to fix the food issue, even in theory at this point. And in reality it's also going to mean people consuming more things which even if produced with clean power will still lead to more greenhouse gases.

So even if the west feels generous and finances massive clean energy projects in the developing world you still wont even come close to meeting the goals we need to reach to stave off the worst effects of gcc.

The fact is there has never been a problem like gcc, which is why it's so strange when people here stamp their feet and are mystified at why it's not fixed yet. Most people here are too young to remember the ozone hole crisis of the 80s but it's a really good example to look at:

We had a environmental crisis, and not only was the science clear but there was also a very clear prescription for how to cure it. And we did. But gcc is orders of magnitude more complicated of a problem. It's like compairing ww1 to nuclear war. We didn't have to worry and the developing world, since they by and large didn't use CFCs. We didn't have to completely reform the world economy overnight, because the alternatives to CFC were simple and already existed. And I could go on and on about the massive differences in scale and uncertainty of the solutions but the point should be obvious by now.

We simply are not a predictive species( just look at this forums' election predictions!) We react to problems and use technology and tools to solve the problem. We didn't invent a wheel because we like round things, we needed to move poo poo around. If there is a solution to gcc, it was always going to be in that vein. There's nothing unique about people today. We simply just have a lot more of them and so we are stressing and stretching our resources exactly as people like Malthus predicted would happen.

It's funny, you see people here mock technological solutions yet thats exactly why, for example, Malthus was wrong about mass starvation: technology massively increased food production. Sure, our kids may have us. Or they will laugh at us like we laugh at Malthus today. Or we will all be dead :shrug: .

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tsa posted:

It's funny, you see people here mock technological solutions yet thats exactly why, for example, Malthus was wrong about mass starvation: technology massively increased food production. Sure, our kids may have us. Or they will laugh at us like we laugh at Malthus today. Or we will all be dead :shrug: .
For dinner?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Well, there won't be anything else to munch on except rats, roaches and jellyfish, so why not?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Soylent - Now Proudly Made of People

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get why people are so hung up on meat. every time someone digs into the numbers its somewhere between #4 and #10 on the priorities list depending on how you break stuff down.

point being, we can all eat mcdonalds erry fukkin day if we don't own a car and power our vr-masturbatorium with wind & solar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

tsa posted:

People here tend to be massively ignorant when it comes to silicon valley . Like go read the beginning of the tech thread that started 2 years ago - people seriously thought (because they are clueless cynics) that self driving cars were to magic thing that were at least several decades, if not a half a century away :lol:

Meanwhile they've been tested on city roads for millions of miles and the only accidents have been the ones created by real drivers. People largely don't have a loving clue about how fast progress is being made on a lot of tech that is going to make the internet revolution look like blip on the radar.

This is why Hillary got laughed out of oil country, blabbering about retraining sounds good to some people's ears but they know better than most it never actually works in reality. Of course Trump had no solution either, so :shrug:

The problem is it's impossible to decouple increases in standards of living from gg emissions because people loving love meat. It's less of an issue in India but in China thats going to mean a lot more beef consumption. Even in India I'm sure it will be a lot more lamb consumption or something similar that has significantly more footprint than say veggies or chicken.

I mean theoretically you could turn everything into nuclear and solar and cut off most emissions from that but there's no real way to fix the food issue, even in theory at this point. And in reality it's also going to mean people consuming more things which even if produced with clean power will still lead to more greenhouse gases.

So even if the west feels generous and finances massive clean energy projects in the developing world you still wont even come close to meeting the goals we need to reach to stave off the worst effects of gcc.

The fact is there has never been a problem like gcc, which is why it's so strange when people here stamp their feet and are mystified at why it's not fixed yet. Most people here are too young to remember the ozone hole crisis of the 80s but it's a really good example to look at:

We had a environmental crisis, and not only was the science clear but there was also a very clear prescription for how to cure it. And we did. But gcc is orders of magnitude more complicated of a problem. It's like compairing ww1 to nuclear war. We didn't have to worry and the developing world, since they by and large didn't use CFCs. We didn't have to completely reform the world economy overnight, because the alternatives to CFC were simple and already existed. And I could go on and on about the massive differences in scale and uncertainty of the solutions but the point should be obvious by now.

We simply are not a predictive species( just look at this forums' election predictions!) We react to problems and use technology and tools to solve the problem. We didn't invent a wheel because we like round things, we needed to move poo poo around. If there is a solution to gcc, it was always going to be in that vein. There's nothing unique about people today. We simply just have a lot more of them and so we are stressing and stretching our resources exactly as people like Malthus predicted would happen.

Yeah. The “let’s eat meat” issue gets swept under the rug by governments and even environmental groups.

Not eating animals or dairy does more than buying an EV.