Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Matrix Christmas PDF is out.

:catdrugs: :supaburn:

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/Matrix_Holidays_Sale_2017.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Five Bux for Chains of War? Huh.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is someone aware of a large-scale tactical WW1 game? Something that lets me do stuff like box barrages, thinly manned first trenches etc. So something like platoon-level chits and a division-width frontage?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

aphid_licker posted:

Is someone aware of a large-scale tactical WW1 game? Something that lets me do stuff like box barrages, thinly manned first trenches etc. So something like platoon-level chits and a division-width frontage?

There's Squad Battles: First World War, but I haven't played it

I've been waiting for it to go on sale :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saros posted:

Five Bux for Chains of War? Huh.

That's five bux off.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

There's Squad Battles: First World War, but I haven't played it

I've been waiting for it to go on sale :v:

That looks like what I'm looking for indeed but holy poo poo is it ugly

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Very tempted to buy more Close Combat games. Also lol I can't get over that it's a PDF sale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

That looks like what I'm looking for indeed but holy poo poo is it ugly

new thread title

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gradenko_2000 posted:

new thread title

No no.

Grognard Games Megathread - it's a PDF sale

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Popete posted:

Very tempted to buy more Close Combat games. Also lol I can't get over that it's a PDF sale.
Is there actually a big MP community? There's been no actual improvement over the years in AI and pretty much none as far as terrible pathfinding afaik

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 22, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

aphid_licker posted:

France/Prussia '14 Campaign series is almost a good game but there's way, way way too much clicking.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Does that game model higher morale losses for the units with dog-pulled machineguns? :colbert:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

AceRimmer posted:

Is there actually a big MP community? There's been no actual improvement over the years in AI and pretty much none as far as terrible pathfinding afaik

Not sure, I've never bothered to play the multiplayer in CC. The AI path finding is janky as hell, it's a lot like Graviteam Tactics in that you're giving squads more general orders instead of micromanaging every unit.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
That's OK, I was just thinking about the awful vehicle pathfinding, where they just get stuck wiggling back and forth.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You monster why did you show me this. :bahgawd:

:homebrew:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How is Ultimate General: Civil War now that the devs have essentially declared it feature-complete?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So Chains of War is pretty much mandatory for CMANO now, right? The only one of the expansions I bought is Northern Inferno, but Chains of War comes with all those new features that honestly should be included in your $80fuckingdollar base game already.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 22, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Quixzlizx posted:

How is Ultimate General: Civil War now that the devs have essentially declared it feature-complete?

It is? What the hell

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

skooma512 posted:

It is? What the hell

Is anything missing? I played through it a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel unfinished and it feels fair to call it feature-complete. I would love to see the devs take the same engine and basic concept and apply it to other eras.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is the Civil War version anywhere near complete?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Drone posted:

So Chains of War is pretty much mandatory for CMANO now, right? The only one of the expansions I bought is Northern Inferno, but Chains of War comes with all those new features that honestly should be included in your $80fuckingdollar base game already.

What are these features?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think that's the cheapest Victory & Glory has been. And :10bux: for Warsaw to Paris is a steal.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah Warsaw to Paris is surprisingly good, though the AI settings don't seem to do much but make it take forever, the alternate scenario conditions are fun and make them more difficult/interesting.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Wooper posted:

What are these features?

He probably refers to these:
Comms disruption
Detailed aircraft damage & repairs
Future weapons
Cargo, amphibious and airdrop operations

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Steam Thanksgiving Sale has kicked off. Steep discounts on many grog games. For example, if you were on the fence about WITE or WITW, they're 70% and 63% off respectively.

I picked up Supreme Ruler: The Great War ($9.99) and Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe ($25.19).

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 22, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

AceRimmer posted:

Is the Civil War version anywhere near complete?

It has a full campaign for each side, custom battles, good AI, tons of different units and guns, etc. I don't even know what you'd add at this point. :shrug:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At least this year the PDF has hyperlinks to the store pages.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Bold Robot posted:

It has a full campaign for each side, custom battles, good AI, tons of different units and guns, etc. I don't even know what you'd add at this point. :shrug:

British, French and Prussian units. The ability to form square and a Waterloo map. :v:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I just noticed that in the Black Friday Steam sale, that Distant Worlds is 67% off, which I think is the lowest I've seen it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/Distant_Worlds_Universe/

For someone who enjoys 4x games, is it worth picking up for that price? The idea of playing as a pirate faction makes me particularly intrigued!

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 23, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So I just noticed that in the Black Friday Steam sale, that Distant Worlds is 67% off, which I think is the lowest I've seen it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/Distant_Worlds_Universe/

For someone who enjoys 4x games, is it worth picking up for that price? The idea of playing as a pirate faction makes me particularly intrigued!

It's still my favorite space 4x, I enjoy it a lot.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

People have been burned by Early Access stuff so often it's become an instinct to get outraged whenever a game leaves Early Access (because it OBVIOUSLY isn't done yet)

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Every year I stare at that WITP sale, then think of my free time, and go back to following Grey’s threads.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Oh god, I just bought WITW. See you all later and thanks for all the great posts!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Woodchip posted:

Every year I stare at that WITP sale, then think of my free time, and go back to following Grey’s threads.

It's real fun, you should buy it.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Oh god, I just bought WITW. See you all later and thanks for all the great posts!

I'm sorry for your lots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Woodchip posted:

If you pull the trigger, let me know. I’m looking for a PBEM partner.

(Goes for anyone else reading this. I’m a nublet, but the AI is SOOO BAAAD.)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MrYenko posted:

If you pull the trigger, let me know. I’m looking for a PBEM partner.

(Goes for anyone else reading this. I’m a nublet, but the AI is SOOO BAAAD.)

PM me, because I might be interested; however, I am going to warn you up front that I have a strong preference for playing the Allies.

In fact, I’ve never attempted the Japanese side, even against the AI. This is because I am scared as gently caress of the Japanese economy. :iit:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
War in the West is 65% off, I'd be losing money if I don't buy it now :derp:
How's the ai in this one compared to WITE? I know the air war is supposed to ne a lot better.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Friends don’t let friends buy witw.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If you don't already own it, CMANO is 75% off ($20 USD) on the store formerly known as Bundle Stars for the next 21 hours. You can get another 10% off it with the code BLACKFRIDAY10 which takes it down to $17.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/command-modern-air-naval-operations-woty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IAmThatIs posted:

War in the West is 65% off, I'd be losing money if I don't buy it now :derp:
How's the ai in this one compared to WITE? I know the air war is supposed to ne a lot better.

It's better because they only have to defend and fall back when necessary. If you encircle and cut off a bunch of divisions at d-day then they will fall back to a pre-assigned defensible point, and it works pretty well.

I'm not entirely sure they'll attempt to counter attack at any point, at least they never did in my games.