Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

thank you your comments have been uploaded to the "the left" hivemind for consideration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I didn't want to paste the whole transcript, that was another bit.

That's just great, you take a leftist (she's a grad student in cultural analysis/social theory, she's a leftist) who shows a 3 minute clip of peterson/paikin, treat her like a heretic and go way overboard on them in exactly the manner peterson predicted with no self-awareness at all. Keep it up left.

Lol at blaming this on whatever the gently caress you think the left is. The university did a dumb thing, I don't see a wave of leftists here or in my feeds jumping to Lauriers defence.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reince Penis posted:

Lol at blaming this on whatever the gently caress you think the left is. The university did a dumb thing, I don't see a wave of leftists here or in my feeds jumping to Lauriers defence.

Liberal arts professors are like textbook left. One of the guys interrogating her was basically a professor of leftism and how to spread it.

quote:

I have always had a strong interest in language use and storytelling, two compelling parts of the "how," or practice, of communication, which explains in part why I became both a media professional and (later) a communications scholar. Another of my lifelong commitments has been to social justice and fairness. Integrating storytelling and language use with social justice activism is, therefore, fundamental to both my research and my pedagogy.

My research has focused on how marginal groups and movements attempt to take their ideas from the margins to the mainstream, with a particular emphasis on how they produce and circulate their ideas to various publics and the obstacles they face in overcoming the powerful, who often seek to restrict such ideas from gaining currency with the general public.

https://www.wlu.ca/academics/research/researcher-profiles/faculty-researchers/herbert-pimlott.html

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

Wait, so the issue wasn't that she showed a clip of JP's fuckwitticisms, it's that she didn't preface it by warning everyone that they were about to watch a fuckwit?

Pretty much. They also compared showing JPs comments to presenting a Hitler speech, but Hitler is also a guy you generally don't have to preface with pointing out that he's the bad guy because that's obvious from the poo poo he's said and done. And the whole tutorial was about gendered pronouns in the first place, so showing some relatively famous guy who's irrationally angry about the topic isn't exactly coming out of nowhere.

This seems to be Laurier trying to avoid any embarrassment in the press by not under-reacting, and in the process severely overreacting.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/933343880640126977

NEO MARXISM

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sounds good to me

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The university is probably concerned about potential legal liability because some idiot grad student is showing hate speech videos in class.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
TVO's the Agenda isn't a hate speech video.

Frankly, based on the way they've written their apologies, I think the university is way more concerned about Jordan Peterson suing them now that their comments comparing him to a Nazi have gone public. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what the precedent is for a privately recorded conversation going public but they literally compared him to Hitler and Richard Spencer, which seems like it could be the basis for a law suit.

Reince Penis posted:

These university departments are one of the only remaining institutions in society that self identify with the left and actively try to propagate left-wing ideas. You can ever hear the professors in the recording talking about neoliberalism, precarious work, etc. when they briefly talk about Ezra Levant. They're textbook Canadian leftists.

People can say that the left doesn't have a "hive mind", and of course it doesn't, but in the real world people are going to evaluate a movement based on its relevant existing institutions. Saying "that's not the real left" is kind of like a libertarian crying "that's not real capitalism". Nobody cares about the totally abstract ideal form of a political philosophy, they care about what its more influential real world adherents are doing in the name of that ideology.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

You are violating my safe space internet left wing ideologue

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

Of course he's toasted as gently caress during his interview.

It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

These university departments are one of the only remaining institutions in society that self identify with the left and actively try to propagate left-wing ideas. You can ever hear the professors in the recording talking about neoliberalism, precarious work, etc. when they briefly talk about Ezra Levant. They're textbook Canadian leftists.

Actually I think you'd find the 'self-identifying left' of the university is frowned upon in progressive circles outside the ivory tower.

We call them the professortariat.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah they're not exactly widely trusted, certainly I don't think anyone is surprised they're flailing and totally unequipped to deal with this blowhard they've coddled and made all-but unfireable

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Helsing posted:

Frankly, based on the way they've written their apologies, I think the university is way more concerned about Jordan Peterson suing them now that their comments comparing him to a Nazi have gone public. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what the precedent is for a privately recorded conversation going public but they literally compared him to Hitler and Richard Spencer, which seems like it could be the basis for a law suit.

Federally its one party consent (as long as one party to the conversation agrees to the recording specifically you can be the one party), but provincially you have to look at the specific privacy laws concerning wiretaps/recording conversations that may have different requirements such as two party consent, or what can or can't be recorded etc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Wait, so the issue wasn't that she showed a clip of JP's fuckwitticisms, it's that she didn't preface it by warning everyone that they were about to watch a fuckwit?

I'd say that the outrage doesn't put much faith in the students' own ability to spot an obviously problematic line of thinking, but the last time I was at a university I noticed a rather large amount of resources had gone into festooning every surface with reminders that rape is bad and not a thing one ought to be doing, so uh....

There's no reason to have faith in the ability to see problematic lines of thinking with how many people have latched on to Peterson's "having to use someones pronouns is compelled speech" crap. It's astonishing how many people on reddit want to die on this hill.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

TVO's the Agenda isn't a hate speech video.

People can say that the left doesn't have a "hive mind", and of course it doesn't, but in the real world people are going to evaluate a movement based on its relevant existing institutions. Saying "that's not the real left" is kind of like a libertarian crying "that's not real capitalism". Nobody cares about the totally abstract ideal form of a political philosophy, they care about what its more influential real world adherents are doing in the name of that ideology.

If you think ‘the Left’ is best represented by elitist out of touch university professors preaching about millennial feminism or whatever then you’re a loving idiot.

There’s a reason Ashton was so badly trounced in the NDP leadership race

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Lmao, Brian Pallister is going to force Municipalities to double Property Taxes rather than do it himself

http://winnipegsun.com/news/provincial/manitoba-may-download-responsibilities-to-municipalities

quote:

The Manitoba government will consider transferring some services it currently delivers to municipalities, raising fears they’re about to download new costs as well.

A Tuesday provincial throne speech focused on cost-control revealed a service review will aim to “streamline service delivery such as road maintenance and renewal, snow clearing, water control and drainage at the most appropriate level of government.”

Premier Brian Pallister said that effort is primarily meant to remove service duplication, which he expects would trigger savings. When asked if Winnipeg and other municipalities should expect to become responsible for more services as a result, the premier confirmed that is “a real possibility.”

“We would take a look at where municipalities can shine … and develop appropriate models to make sure they’re able to do that,” said Pallister.

On the flip side, Pallister noted it’s also possible the province could take on services that are currently municipal.

Other elements of the throne speech raised additional questions among municipal leaders. For example, while the document vows to ensure Manitoba leverages all available federal dollars from the Building Canada Fund, it doesn’t back a City of Winnipeg request to spend $182 million of that cash on the city’s regional road repairs. The federal government won’t approve that request unless the province endorses it, which it still has yet to do.

The province also made no mention of restoring a funding commitment that previously covered half of all municipal transit operating costs, or a growth-based funding model that cities and towns have repeatedly requested.

Winnipeg’s mayor said the absence of that support was a disappointment.

“What we were looking for in this speech from the throne was a sign that the government has the priorities of Winnipeggers in mind and, unfortunately, we did not hear that today,” said Mayor Brian Bowman.

Bowman said shifting more services to Winnipeg without accompanying funding threatens to charge costs once shared by the entire province to Winnipeggers alone, who make up two-thirds of the province’s population.

“What we have seen is downloading in terms of the costs of services that are outside of (provincial) basket funding and so obviously that’s putting the squeeze on Winnipeg taxpayers,” said Bowman.

The city will table its own preliminary budget on Wednesday, which the mayor has warned will include “pain” for transit operators and riders, thanks to the removal of the provincial transit pledge.

The mayor called for more consultation with the province to avoid such “unilateral” changes in the future.

“We don’t want to have decisions dictated and then downloaded on to Winnipeg taxpayers,” said Bowman.

But Manitoba’s Municipal Relations Minister said the province sees an opportunity to alter shared services to become more efficient through the review, including within snow-clearing.

“We’ve heard from municipalities saying, ‘Look, we drive down the road, we see our grader go down one road and the province’s grader go down another.’ So why don’t we look at working together … to try to streamline the process, so we’re not having equipment that’s overlapped?,” said Jeff Wharton. “With grass cutting, it’s the same thing … We can look at better ways to save the taxpayer money.”

Wharton said that overlap often falls along roads in smaller communities surrounding Winnipeg.

Both Pallister and Wharton wouldn’t specifically answer if municipalities would receive new funds, if they’re asked to add or expand their services.

“Those are discussions we need to have. It’s a partnership,” said Wharton.

Some union representatives said they’re concerned about the impact any service transfer would have on staff.

“If we’ve already got the equipment and the members there … Why would we offload to municipalities? To me, that is just shirking responsibilities,” said Michelle Gawronsky, president of the Manitoba Government and General Employees’ Union. “You’re going to offload, say, highway workers now? What does that mean when we’ve got to do snow-clearing?”

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

A Typical Goon posted:

If you think ‘the Left’ is best represented by elitist out of touch university professors preaching about millennial feminism or whatever then you’re a loving idiot.

There’s a reason Ashton was so badly trounced in the NDP leadership race

is/ought, dumb-dumb. Way to miss the point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oxyclean posted:

There's no reason to have faith in the ability to see problematic lines of thinking with how many people have latched on to Peterson's "having to use someones pronouns is compelled speech" crap. It's astonishing how many people on reddit want to die on this hill.

Has anyone started intentionally misgendering cisgender people on reddit?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Refer to Peterson exclusively with female pronouns and see how long it takes him to freak the gently caress out, IMHO.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Refer to Peterson exclusively with female pronouns and see how long it takes him to freak the gently caress out, IMHO.

But I don't wanna get sent to the gulag. :saddowns:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

economic inequity is like the most talked about thing we got going here in 2017, how can anyone think leftism is dead?

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

There is some delicious irony here. In the controversy, the prof that is reprimanding the student for playing a 3 minute video from TVO (a tame public broadcaster) is citing that Bill C-16 classifies her actions as a violation of human rights, which is exactly what Jordan Peterson complains would happen if the bill were passed.

HOWEVER the bill only applies to federally regulated industries and personnel and that doesn't include universities nor would it classify presenting media as a violation of the act.
Alt right guy is right that campus censorship is crazy while also being totally wrong as to why that is happening.

Long-story short vapid call-out culture types do more harm than good an now the alt right has a credible example of campus censorship gone awry to recruit normies with.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A whole bunch of well deserved atodasos all up in this thread right about now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

im the billions of "normies" who hella care about "campus censorship" and definitely not the same people whove been yelling about it for years on the editorial pages of the national post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

HOWEVER the bill only applies to federally regulated industries and personnel and that doesn't include universities nor would it classify presenting media as a violation of the act.
Alt right guy is right that campus censorship is crazy while also being totally wrong as to why that is happening.

This is 100% his shtick, he completely misrepresented how and where the bill was applicable because it was way easier to cry about the thought police hauling you to the gulag if he ignored the fact that it didn't do that at all. Now thanks to the inordinate amount of coverage his bullshit has gotten, that's how people, even people who ought to know better, think the legislation applies.

THC posted:

im the billions of "normies" who hella care about "campus censorship" and definitely not the same people whove been yelling about it for years on the editorial pages of the national post

As a young conservative, I...

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

THC posted:

Where are you coming from with this?

Its on every national newspaper an even international papers and now the conservative leader is referencing it because it plays well to normies.

https://globalnews.ca/video/3873359...m_campaign=2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ah yes, Canada's very neutral and not at all politically influenced newspapers and TV broadcasters

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

these outlets have definitely not been loving the "campus censorship" chicken for decades, and their audience is always growing and reaching new previously untapped segments of the population

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

THC posted:

these outlets have definitely not been loving the "campus censorship" chicken for decades, and their audience is always growing and reaching new previously untapped segments of the population

Do you think the Profs acted appropriately?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

economic inequity is like the most talked about thing we got going here in 2017, how can anyone think leftism is dead?

I want to live in whatever bubble you live in because it sounds like the people have their heads on straight.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

not at all. I just don't think this will ignite a groundswell of previously normal people suddenly converting to right wing reaction. its the same right wingers who've always believed it going "and now we have proof!" as if they would ever consider empirical evidence disproving any of their other pet conspiracy theories

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's not right wing, it's whatever that TA is now. Probably Liberal or whatever the people who didn't show up to vote for Clinton are called.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I hope the TA starts a Patreon account and starts collecting thousands of dollars a month; she'd at least deserve it more than our boy JP.

just another posted:

I want to live in whatever bubble you live in because it sounds like the people have their heads on straight.

I legitimately think Bernie Sanders did Canada a huge favor in his primary run, the bleed over from the American media means that income inequality really is on the popular agenda far more than it was before.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 23, 2017

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I hope so but I'm not going to hold my breath. There's nothing inspiring in Canadian politics right now :eng99:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There are definitely quite a few Canadians that nominally consider themselves "progressive" but don't actually give any kind of a meaningful gently caress about other people, largely due to being utterly incapable of looking outside their own perspective. Folks like that are absolutely susceptible to the alt-right's deliberately stilted interpretation of the principles of free speech, because oppression is a thing that happens to other people, and the idea that they themselves might suffer consequences for saying something, even if it's realistically something they would never say, is ridiculously frightening to them.

Political centrism is rife with cowards and sycophants imo.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 23, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

The university is probably concerned about potential legal liability because some idiot grad student is showing hate speech videos in class.

A steve palkin show on tvo is now hate speech? What year is this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

Dead? No. But youre also in a magical fantasy land if you dont think it is also woefully underrepresented and under constant attack by the wealthiest and most horrible people on the planet (most of whom own all the media you consume).

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

just another posted:

There's nothing inspiring in Canadian politics right now :eng99:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

He needs to up his topless game