Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The Skeleton costume is strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait apparently you get extra airtime with Glydon by waggling? And higher jump with Pokio? Ugh undocumented controls

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys. I loving HATE darker side.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
are there any checkpoints at all in darker side or is it all one shot? im so bad at video games holy poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

violent sex idiot posted:

are there any checkpoints at all in darker side or is it all one shot? im so bad at video games holy poo poo

No checkpoints. It wouldn't be hard at all if there were.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

One shot.

Boss 1, if you hit his hats in the air and hold cappie there you can remove a bunch easy.

Boss 2, if you stay near the edge of the arena you can kill her bombs with cappie before they explode, you can also bounce a bomb into her during the bombing run using cappie.

Boss 4, you can use low grav to just jump on him when he uses hat toss.

As an aside, I have all the non picture moons on dark side, is there anything more challenging left to do?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Great advice for Dark Side, poster above, but you don't seem to be aware there's darkER side too. They are two different places.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

One shot.

Boss 1, if you hit his hats in the air and hold cappie there you can remove a bunch easy.

Boss 2, if you stay near the edge of the arena you can kill her bombs with cappie before they explode, you can also bounce a bomb into her during the bombing run using cappie.

Boss 4, you can use low grav to just jump on him when he uses hat toss.

As an aside, I have all the non picture moons on dark side, is there anything more challenging left to do?

yes there is something more challenging left to do :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

All one shot. Chaos reigns, and you must embrace it :unsmigghh:.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Or be a dirty cheater with the frog glitch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Great advice for Dark Side, poster above, but you don't seem to be aware there's darkER side too. They are two different places.

Oh poo poo, yeah. My mistake.

Christ I need 500 moons? Just let me do the drat challenge level Nintendo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and why can't I just plug in the cart and play the end boss right away?

Are BotW and Chrono Trigger the only games that encourage this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You had to finish Chrono Trigger properly once to do that.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Bloop posted:

I think it's pretty common in older PC RPGs. In Morrowind you can just go grab the stuff you need and romp to the final boss right away if you know what to do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The Bloop posted:

It's more that I've beaten everything that's remotely challenging to me. Hoovering up like 40 extra stars is just busywork.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Just cheese it with Assist Mode, then if you feel some compulsion to be a man or w/e about it beat it again without it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

You had to finish Chrono Trigger properly once to do that.
Didn't the bucket at the End of Time work just fine even if you hadn't beaten the game before?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah probably, I was thinking of the NG+ ending where you kill Lavos as soon as you get to the fair.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't the bucket at the End of Time work just fine even if you hadn't beaten the game before?

Yeah but you had to unlock the End of Time which is about 1/4 of the way through the main story, so not right away, but still close.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetic posted:

Yeah but you had to unlock the End of Time which is about 1/4 of the way through the main story, so not right away, but still close.

Well, even in BotW you still have to beat the plateau before heading to Ganon

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How long is the darker side of the moon? I got to the gliding section and promptly nosedived into the ground because that thing controls like a piece of poo poo. Is there much further to go after that?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Frankston posted:

How long is the darker side of the moon? I got to the gliding section and promptly nosedived into the ground because that thing controls like a piece of poo poo. Is there much further to go after that?
You're 2/3 of the way there if you're trying to do every darker side section.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Just cheese it with Assist Mode, then if you feel some compulsion to be a man or w/e about it beat it again without it.

i dont even know what assist mode is but, i beat it anyway.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

i dont even know what assist mode is but, i beat it anyway.

It’s a setting in Options that doubles your heath, adds health regeneration to Mario, and falling in the lava doesn’t kill you automatically, just puts you back on land nearby.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Darker side report.

This is much better. Although it's all pretty trivial until you get to the "Use this unit that controls like rear end and if you fuckup you die," part.

I'll writeup a guide so far if violent wants one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just had to talk to Archivist Toadette forty-three times in a row before she ran out of stars to give me, ugh!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CPColin posted:

I just had to talk to Archivist Toadette forty-three times in a row before she ran out of stars to give me, ugh!

talking to Toadette is the darkest side

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't understand how anybody had trouble with the gliding section of Darker Side. It's by far the easiest part.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I don't understand how anybody had trouble with the gliding section of Darker Side. It's by far the easiest part.

Yea, all you have to do is aim left and right. Literally nothing else. :shrug:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Beat darker side, that ending sequence :3:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RCarr posted:

Yea, all you have to do is aim left and right. Literally nothing else. :shrug:

Thing is, if you do anything but hold B and aim left and right, you'll probably die. I accidentally let go of B for a split second one time, and then I couldn't get enough air on the wind gusts to get to the end.
Of course, I didn't know about shaking the controller to get extra height.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's telling that the hardest part about darkest side is dealing with how poo poo the controls are on possessed units.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

raditts posted:

Thing is, if you do anything but hold B and aim left and right, you'll probably die. I accidentally let go of B for a split second one time, and then I couldn't get enough air on the wind gusts to get to the end.
Of course, I didn't know about shaking the controller to get extra height.

Not true. If you hold back on the stick (braking) while in each wind gust you can just stay there and let it boost you to max height and have a super easy time getting to the next one.

It's seriously the easiest part of the whole run.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

All moons and all purple coins done, now I just need to save up to get the skeleton costume and that's that.

My last moons were the picture match things, the jump rope and beach volleyball. Managed to get 340 on the jump rope before I got bored and got 130-something for the beach volleyball.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I'm glad I bought the skeleton first because then I could look awesome while collecting all the other moons.

Clown hat/skeleton is one of the best combinations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, aside from grabbing a game guide, what's a good direction to go after the basic "end"? Dropping back into Metro Kingdom I ended up grabbing a handful of moons but the thing with the stones that didn't react before made me wonder if I need to hit all of those before aimlessly wandering looking for moons.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

So, aside from grabbing a game guide, what's a good direction to go after the basic "end"? Dropping back into Metro Kingdom I ended up grabbing a handful of moons but the thing with the stones that didn't react before made me wonder if I need to hit all of those before aimlessly wandering looking for moons.

There's one in each kingdom and hitting them opens up an additional 10-20 moons.Worth doing before you start hunting in the postgame.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the moon rocks will give you more moons, but they'll all be marked on your map with little x's, so they're not super hard to find. grind out as many as you beforehand, bust open all the moon rocks... do whatever you feel

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, getting to the painting earlier in Darker Side skips the last 3rd of the level.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

qbert posted:

Not true. If you hold back on the stick (braking) while in each wind gust you can just stay there and let it boost you to max height and have a super easy time getting to the next one.

It's seriously the easiest part of the whole run.

the easiest part of the darker side is the ride on the platform with the spikey dudes jumping all around because you can just hang off the edge and watch them jump over you for the entire thing

• Locked thread