Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Night10194 posted:

But that was one of the best parts of HoD 3? (I used to be able to 1 credit clear that game back in college)

Not when the arcade doesn't maintain its machines so the shotgun ends up locking up and requiring way too much effort to actually reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some other comedy horror games? I know resident evil dips into comedy a fair amount and FNAF is comedy horror but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Motherfuckin' One Unit Whole Blood.

https://www.gog.com/game/one_unit_whole_blood

add a launcher thingmajig that makes mouse aiming good and modern:
http://m210.duke4.net/

Installed it last night and it is every bit as good as it was 19 years ago.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So playing Doki Doki Literature Club has opened up an interest in horror VNs for me. I've decided to check out The Letter since I've heard good things.

I didn't realize it had voice acting--is it best to turn that off (it does appear to be an option)? Or is the voice acting fairly decent throughout? I like that they let you set the volume for each character, haha.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Definitely keep Luke, Johannes and Hannah's voices, those guys are having a great time doing their thing.

Mute Becca and Ash.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mute Ash and never look back.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Definitely keep Luke, Johannes and Hannah's voices, those guys are having a great time doing their thing.

Mute Becca and Ash.

They were the first two I lowered, yeah.

Not even finished with Chapter 1 yet and this game already feels like it's too long... I'm hoping it gets more interesting eventually. Sticking with it for now.

The rich boy character (his name escapes me) casually dropping the n-word was, um, something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BlackFrost posted:

I'm hoping it gets more interesting eventually.

I don't remember if it was this thread or another I said it in, but my biggest gripe about that game is that if you don't go down a certain (Bad) path, vast stretches of it are just a higher effort anime VN.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been playing Doki Doki for three days, something better happen soon!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

I don't remember if it was this thread or another I said it in, but my biggest gripe about that game is that if you don't go down a certain (Bad) path, vast stretches of it are just a higher effort anime VN.

I'm trying to not reload to try to maximize relationships with everyone if I can avoid it, so maybe I'll get there.

Otherwise...hooboy... well I guess we'll see what happens.

woodenchicken posted:

I've been playing Doki Doki for three days, something better happen soon!

If you want to know when things start happening: It's the day of the festival, anime hangout weekend leads into it.

It's worth trudging through the dating sim bits up to that point. If you've been off-and-on playing for three days you should hit that point pretty soon!

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

I didn't realize it had voice acting--is it best to turn that off (it does appear to be an option)?

There's a child character coming up. If there's an option to mute her, do it. She sings.

From watching a playthrough of the letter, it's more interesting if you make the choices against common sense, otherwise it seems like a very long standard VN with a jumpscare every 40 minutes.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I picked up Evil Within 2 in one of the various Black Friday sales, so far seems good. I can't help but wonder if I'm going to going, "Ahh, Resident Evil did it" throughout the game, after they had a mindbending child and nasty dinner scene within the first hour. I'm also finding the tutorials are more hindrance than help when they're really needed though - against the first big monster the game told me to do a fast turn, which I did, sending Sebastian pointing straight at a wall... unsurprisingly, that was my first death. Then the first time I wandered into town it told me to try sneaking... I was thinking that surely the baddie running at me had already seen me, but thought "Hey game knows best", did what it said, then two hits later, death number 2. I'm bad at vidja games :)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A horror game that intentionally tries to kill you with misleading tutorials and UI prompts would be awesome. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness 2.0.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's the Xcom tutorial. It tells you "Hey do this, hey do that" and it kills a soldier each time. So basically telling you what not to do.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

DrSnakeLaser posted:

There's a child character coming up. If there's an option to mute her, do it. She sings.

From watching a playthrough of the letter, it's more interesting if you make the choices against common sense, otherwise it seems like a very long standard VN with a jumpscare every 40 minutes.

So basically play with the intention of lowering relationships instead of raising them, or anti-common sense options like "Open the spooky trap door or don't" kinda thing?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

I picked up Evil Within 2 in one of the various Black Friday sales, so far seems good. I can't help but wonder if I'm going to going, "Ahh, Resident Evil did it" throughout the game, after they had a mindbending child and nasty dinner scene within the first hour. I'm also finding the tutorials are more hindrance than help when they're really needed though - against the first big monster the game told me to do a fast turn, which I did, sending Sebastian pointing straight at a wall... unsurprisingly, that was my first death. Then the first time I wandered into town it told me to try sneaking... I was thinking that surely the baddie running at me had already seen me, but thought "Hey game knows best", did what it said, then two hits later, death number 2. I'm bad at vidja games :)
I wish they stole some ideas off Resident Evil, but unfortunately they're really dissimilar.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I posted this in the Steam thread but this thread deserves some love too. I got a key the other day from an indie dev for their game Cleansuit, a text parser horror adventure about being stalked through your house by a serial killer. It's got a neat retro aesthetic and some really funny writing, and while it's not a long game it's got a bunch of endings to puzzle out. It's also just $4, and definitely worth it for a few hours of fun.

Let’s assume for a second that you’re home alone one evening, and a killer comes to your door. No, don’t get up and look, brainstorm with me. How would you survive the night? Call the police? Craft an ingenious trap? Hide and pray? Cleansuit gives you the opportunity to test your wits against just such a villain, with a house full of items to combine and use in your bid for survival. And not content to leave it at that, this stylish horror adventure presents it with a thick layer of off-beat humor and unique retro aesthetics.

All alone in your unimpressive home one night, a knock comes at the door. A peek at your visitor reveals a maniac in a cleansuit, intent on sullying it with your blood. You only have so long before he finds a way into the house and your entrails, and in that time you have to find a way to survive. It might be through a phone call, or using household items, or have something to do with those trophies in your room, but you’ve got to do something before this becomes your last night on Earth. Creativity and experimentation are key here, and the chosen interface is perfect for allowing you to flex your mental muscles.

This creepy little romp is a text parser adventure, one more in the vein of the true classics than a modern revival like Stories Untold. The entire interface is text-driven with simple commands like “go upstairs” or “take knife” or “drink bleach”, plenty direct enough even for those new to the format. Each room is filled with details described with the “look” command, which you can then focus further on and interact with. Your living room, for example, has a door, window, chair, table, fireplace, painting, and bookshelf to fiddle with, each containing their own items and secrets. Expanding that across ten or so rooms gives you a remarkable amount of material to work with.

You’ll need to poke at everything, too, because not only is survival a challenge, it’s an open-ended one. There are about a dozen different ways to outwith your murderous nemesis, ranging from panicked escapes to devious counterattacks. The many items laying around the house are clues to your options, and the text parser allows for an impressive amount of commands and combinations in making use of them. For the most part you’ll be able to see where a solution is going, like with the workbench in the basement that very clearly is set up for tinkering traps. The text descriptions are concise but contain very useful information for guiding your brainstorms to the right conclusions.

The text isn’t just practical, either. Cleansuit clearly takes inspiration from some lighter titles in the adventure genre to liven up its descriptions. Your imperiled avatar is pretty clearly a lonely, nerdy lump from the goofy descriptions of his strange art tastes, barren kitchen, and lacking physique. The robust interactions are also rounded out with plenty of humorous red herrings, like turning up rugs or trying to use the toilet. There’s a load of charm here that entertains without detracting too much from the genuine horror of being stalked through your home. One more than one occasion my chuckles at the writing were cut off by a gasp at the killer’s sudden appearance.

Adding to the off-beat atmosphere is the unique look of the game, a sort of digital corruption over simple 3D models that gives it the feel of a nightmare Dire Straits music video. The music is another big stand-out, a synth-heavy selection of moody and oppressive tracks cued off of the killer’s movements and your approaching demise. There’s plenty of fun to be had just drinking in the aesthetic of the game as you search rooms and puzzle out solutions. And death need not be a downer because once you know how everything is situated, you can jump straight to the key commands instead of looking at it all first. It took me nearly an hour to puzzle out half of the solutions, so it’s not going to last you forever but I don’t think it needs to. Cleansuit is a charming, clever take on the text parser genre, combining enough humor and horror to entertain through plenty of slaughters and successes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds good! Added to my list. I've been digging deep on twine-y interactive fiction games and I'm on my phone so I can't link em, but "Eat Me" is pretty great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone have any thoughts on whether Get Even is worth a play?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

the black husserl posted:

A horror game that intentionally tries to kill you with misleading tutorials and UI prompts would be awesome. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness 2.0.

That would be Icepick Lodge's The Void. Not the UI prompts, but you do get advice in the early game that's outright and deliberately wrong.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've mentioned it in a few threads and I loved it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZearothK posted:

That would be Icepick Lodge's The Void. Not the UI prompts, but you do get advice in the early game that's outright and deliberately wrong.

What kind of advice? It's been so long since I played, and I'll never pass up an opportunity to talk about Ice Pick Lodge games :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

What kind of advice? It's been so long since I played, and I'll never pass up an opportunity to talk about Ice Pick Lodge games :allears:

Its been a while but the way they introduce the color mechanic to you will ensure you end up in an unwinnable situation.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a sizeable player base for Friday the 13th on PS4? Thinking of grabbing it but want to be able to actually play with people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Danaru posted:

Sister Death is wrong about how you're supposed to sow gardens. She tells you to be careful and only add color as needed, but actually you're supposed to put as much colour as possible on as many things as possible so you will have the color economy to open more hearts and complete the game, there are enough gardens and they will recover in time instead of dying, so after you have the whole map open you can cycle between them. She's right in-character, because you are hasting the Void's destruction (and you will see more predators in the gardens), but since the endgame is to destroy the Void and lead one of the sisters in Ascension, her advice runs counter to actually winning the game. And yeah, if you follow that lead you will end up in an unwinnable state in the game. I personally had to restart it after several in-game days for taking that at face-value.

Also, in general the Sisters will tell you misleading things depending on what they want or expect from you, and to win the game you also have to go against everything the Brothers try to educate you on, because they either want to destroy you or want to preserve the Void.

Icepick Lodge is one of very few studios that have characters actually lying to players, that I know of. In most games characters lying to the PCs are just setting up a "aha! I have betrayed/used you!" confrontation later on. Both Pathologic and The Void have NPCs lying to the player just because they don't want you to know something or to keep appearances or whatever and it's not unusual for that not to come as a specific plot point later, this is specially evident when playing multiple characters in Pathologic as you see the different facets NPCs present to different people.

Now thinking of it, I'd mention Knock-Knock as well, though in that case it's more the game not telling you anything. Information is obscured and gameplay has to be figured out mostly by trial and error. I wouldn't describe it as a fun game, but I'm glad I gave it the time.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 2, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They make the best games, love the Void so much

Path2 is gunna be amazing, I hope it runs on my computer

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hell yeah. It's the game I am looking forward the most for the next year.

Pathologic and the Void are two games I can't help but inhabit mentally when I am reminded of them. Both had so much going on that's not told to the player, which gives them a real sense of place. Plus, whatever cultural barrier there is between those crazy Russians and me adds to the sense of mysticism they have. I remember reading (might have been an interview or kickstarter blog post) that Pathologic was originally a RPG campaign, which they turned into a theater play and then made a videogame out of and that sequence of medias makes perfect sense for what we got.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of me wishes that a more updated version of the void would come out these days. there's something weirdly unique about it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Iktf, I don't want to just ask them to remake the things they've already done but dammit if I wouldn't love a Void remake too

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZearothK posted:

I wouldn't describe it as a fun game, but I'm glad I gave it the time.

This is honestly how I'd describe most Ice Pick Lodge games, Pathologic is the most miserable piece of media I've experienced and I can't for the life of me tell you why I love it so much

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Knorth posted:

Iktf, I don't want to just ask them to remake the things they've already done but dammit if I wouldn't love a Void remake too

hell, they're doing a pathologic remake

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a sizeable player base for Friday the 13th on PS4? Thinking of grabbing it but want to be able to actually play with people.

Not sure about the ps4, but on steam at least 1k are constantly on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I always felt real bad for Patriarch and I can't imagine anyone else not feeling bad for him by the end of The Void.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still haven't made it to the center of Knock-Knock so I am quietly obsessed about what is at the center of the Lodger's mind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Knorth posted:

Careful, we might get a Cargo! remake instead! That's their only game I wish I hadn't bothered with.

I feel the Void works, they couldn't really implement the effects of the colours leaking into the Void, but other than that I'd say the game achieved most of their goals, unlike Pathologic, which is much more janky and is obviously the first project of a team which clearly knows how to write way way better than code.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh for sure, Pathologic kind of needed it especially given the original translation, unlike the Void. I'd just love to see that world again and how they'd iterate on it after all this time.

That said, more than happy if they never retrace their steps again after this path remake/sequel

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, definitely. The architecture of the Void was simply a feast for the eyes and I'd love another game from them with a similar premise or setting.

I imagine we'll get a taste of that in Pathologic 2 within the Spire, since the interior is supposed to be filled with the children's Dreamscapes, or the inner halls of the Apiary or a surprise twist from the architect brothers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Definitely. It’s cheap because of how short it is, but it’s got gorgeous graphics and a really interesting story progression and mechanics.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Amber, rapture of wilderness, chaos of maelstroms, bone-breaking laughter,
rider of the vortex's edge, open to the heart of thy lowly servant.
To the righteous will of the seeker of thine guidance, heed.
Meet blood with blood, taboo breaker. Bind! Crushing flesh, twisting mind, constrict!
Feed your thirst, bury him under hill, kill!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Relin posted:

Amber, rapture of wilderness, chaos of maelstroms, bone-breaking laughter,
rider of the vortex's edge, open to the heart of thy lowly servant.
To the righteous will of the seeker of thine guidance, heed.
Meet blood with blood, taboo breaker. Bind! Crushing flesh, twisting mind, constrict!
Feed your thirst, bury him under hill, kill!

is there a place with all of these written down because they were really good and added a lot of character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Formidable Azure, approaching storm, bringer of Death, searing whip,
executioner's blade, open to the heart of thy lowly servant.
To the one approaching as storm, cutting as axe, rising as Death, to me praying to thee, answer.
My fow to the depths of pain, into the Vortex of suffering, throw.
While you Torcher tear him from within, be slow.
When he cries out to thee, his voice begging mercy, be silent.

Crimson, furious, color of avengers and prophets, banner of the righteous,
essence of blood, grant power to thy warrior messenger.
Me, thy faithful warrior messenger, recall.
Sharpen my blade, my strike with thy destructive might, provide.
Blood and nerve from my foes' sinews, yield.
Guide the edge of my sword, my target—slay.

Violet, vibrant chameleon of colors, mysterious tale,
lair of the Archane, come to my core, aid in my vengeance,
battling a hideous, wicked, unfamiliar foe, help me.
By lies and deceit, the one who challenges my righteousness, shall die.
The one who watched me, in hope of exposing my weakness, be blind.
His color shall fail, his hammer shall fall, his voice—shall quiver.

Cold-blooded Argent, unbendable backbone, treasury of the forsaken kingdom,
patron of the takers, strengthen thy servant.
The one who listens to thee, searches for thee, and is blindly obedient, shall be answered.
The skin of the Keeper, his tendons, ligaments, and muscles, shall be hardened.
His heart, open to Lympha of all colors, shall be warmed.
Wasters of all colors who dare to give, shall be tortured.

Emerald, heavy and viscous as tar, enveloping canopy, invulnerable shield,
arbiter of scales, bestow thy power to this venerable warrior.
To me, who raised the vengeful hammer, listen.
Fiendish plot of the heretic, who dares resist, twist.
His treacherous soul, chaotic and insane, banish.

From here

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2017