Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The game will always be a gear grind but it hasn't really gotten harder at all. If anything it has gotten easier with how much poo poo they give out for free now, but luck has and always will be a larger factor than how much money/resources you have. For reference, they released an accessory set that you can get from killing beginner content that are equivalent to pri marks and pri witch's earrings--these are by no means "top tier", but they are a very solid catchup mechanic. There's nobody who actually plays the game that truly believes that the gear grind gets worse as time goes on. It only gets harder as you get closer to hard cap, which literally none of us are anywhere close to. Okay well maybe tvdinna is somewhat close to *soft cap* but even that isn't *that* hard if you put your mind to it, we're all just lazy as gently caress

Also the xp grind has also been hugely decreased both in requirements for each level as well as reducing the required level for certain skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently there's been a big datamining info dump (they forgot to zero out hidden values in some client files)

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/7bqold/unpacked_datasheets_dig_in/

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Thinking about a new MMO and this looked good. Any advice for a newcomer?

Thinking about playing a Ninja or a Witch atm.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Kumo posted:

Try Witch first, it's one of the top dogs atm.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kumo posted:

The only real advice is to have fun with it. At the end of the day, it's still a korean grind game but there's still plenty of stuff to have fun with. I wouldn't recommend ninja for your first character since it has a lot of drawbacks, but if you like it do whatever you want. Witch is definitely easier to play and progress but if you like other classes more just play what you like

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kumo posted:

"Play what you find fun, not what is best" has never been more true in any game than this. The grind is :siren:EXTREME:siren: so to have any hope of making it you absolutely must enjoy playing the class you are playing.

Also note that for many classes the playstyle changes :siren:DRASTICALLY:siren: one you "awaken" so make sure you look up awakened gameplay videos of all classes to see which ones you find interesting. Getting to the level where you awaken takes virtually no time at all compared to the amount of time you spend awakened so only the awakened gameplay counts, so to speak.

:siren:Added sirens for effect:siren:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ninja became the exact opposite of what I wanted at awakening...

such a crock of poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 13, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ninja is a super complicated class to play well, meanwhile a witch will poo poo out nuclear explosions everywhere when your cat walks across the keyboard.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Class balance has improved a lot from the earlier days and no one class has that much issues with PVE anymore. PVP is an entirely different thing but from what I've heard the inclusion of the fister class has thin out the dominance of witch/wizards/dks in it because he can demolish them quickly.

I don't know if I want to jump back in to play this because I want to level a fist chick when she comes out in DEC and login in now would mean that the 30 day count down on exp boost servers starts kicking in.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kamasylvia part 2 is coming this wednesday. https://twitter.com/BDO_News/status/930130628179136512

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

So I have a couple of characters about level 20ish & am kind of wondering just what the hell I'm supposed to do at this point. Combat is fun, but seems like an afterthought at times to all of this node, mount, property, trade, crafting, social points etc. stuff. I was planning on worrying about that after I maxed out on levels on at least one character (because it seems kind confusing and dense and unfun), but should I be doing some of that stuff now?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I do life skilling like 90% of the time. I think its more fun to collect knowledge and stockpile resources than to go kill poo poo at helms for 4 hours or whatever else I might be doing. Also horsing, horsing is fun.... or you could sail.... lots of things to do - do what you think is fun.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kumo posted:

So I have a couple of characters about level 20ish & am kind of wondering just what the hell I'm supposed to do at this point. Combat is fun, but seems like an afterthought at times to all of this node, mount, property, trade, crafting, social points etc. stuff. I was planning on worrying about that after I maxed out on levels on at least one character (because it seems kind confusing and dense and unfun), but should I be doing some of that stuff now?

You can do whatever you want in whatever order, but some of the other stuff (e.g. nodes, fishing, processing) are all decent afk money if you have the setup for it and some of it is dependent of having an appropriate amount of contribution points. Mounts and trade are something you can leave for a long time---just buy a decent mount off the market if you can. Key skills for a horse are Instant acceleration and one of drift or sprint. Drift canceling is faster and uses less stamina, but sprint takes a lot less input

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kumo posted:

The game is quite open ended and very few things are locked behind character level. If you find any of the stuff you listed interesting, then dive right in. There actually is no max character level, so don't feel any pressure to rush to level. Although I will say level 56 is pretty important, as that is when you get your awakening weapon which is a completely different kit and will change how the class plays a lot. It helps to find out if you like the awakened kit before you invest much money into gear for that class. Although you don't even have to participate in the whole combat side of the game if you don't want to, there are players who do nothing but gather/cook/craft/train horses/etc.

If you like the worker management side of the game with the property and nodes and whatnot, then you'll want to start cooking beer. It refills the stamina of your workers, and also generates this item called "dish with poorly prepared ingredients" which you can turn in for more contribution experience to further expand your node network. Pick up the potato nodes at the farms around velia, and a bit later pick up the grain nodes at the farms near heidel. Put your workers on those nodes so you have potatos and grains to make beer with. Buy your favorite looking house at velia or heidel, change it to a residence. Then buy a cooking utensil from the npc vendor and plop it in your residence. Put in 5 potatos (or grains), 6 mineral water,
2 leavening agent, and 1 sugar. Those latter 3 items can all be bought from the npc cook vendor in any city. If you're ever wondering where an npc is, click the NPC button in the top right next to the minimap. You can click on any of the buttons and it will point you to the nearest npc with that function. It also has a fairly decent search function as well.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

J posted:

Although I will say level 56 is pretty important, as that is when you get your awakening weapon which is a completely different kit and will change how the class plays a lot.

This is my main gripe with this game. Having to level to 56 just so you can play what in some cases might as well be another class just seems counterintuitive for me.

That being said, the combat system more than makes up for it imo.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Svensken posted:

This is my main gripe with this game. Having to level to 56 just so you can play what in some cases might as well be another class just seems counterintuitive for me.

I actually liked pre-awoken witch much more. The game has lost a lot of pizzazz for me now. Felt way more fun and caster-y, using a staff and calling down all sorts of poo poo. Orbs are cool, but not as satisfying.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know when its coming out in the west but korea already has an update which allows you to merge old skills into powerful new ones so you can continue to use your first weapon even after 56. The abilities only change a tiny bit mechanically from what they use to do and you get a bigger boost in damage.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tamer is basically exactly the same in terms of game flow pre and post awaken

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Svensken posted:

Welcome to :Koreagame: where this is the norm.

Just be thankful we just have ONE awakening, instead of multiple like some games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Got a kuno to 58. If you don't stuff up your combos your clear speed is fine and the sustain is excellent regardless.

If you do stuff up your combos the damage sucks even with reasonably decent gear (TET main, TRI awakened, TRI offhand). It's all about making sure you get that special attack damage bonus and the flows. It seems like it should be fine in PVP except your only grapple is in non awakened mode which is pretty awkward. If it had that grapple in awakened it would be a lot better.

Overall... probably a pass and time for mothballs. So much for trying to be a special snowflake class. Will probably recycle the main weapon and try a tamer next.

Nef Arious
Oct 14, 2012

Koreagame guest passes if anyone wants them:

M0ISA3I-FIEJN2A-5KT6QC5-R7Q0C
B8L41RT-G9IG1ET-PB2K3EM-74NFP
IBUURUK-UM11LSO-KKEOJ8U-FVAC0
C81QOQ8-I7FDPFP-ERDNSBJ-8KF5O
8KE42DU-OSEEAIS-FICUUQ7-2FCJ0
O7DIA8R-F6FEFQU-7M04D2D-OITK9
HVS0FSL-OQ97CNR-PIM36AT-6U2L2
1LUL47V-4GFABQO-1JE1VTF-1SAGG
H2DHQO2-J38GNCO-D4R8RN9-NKOOV
N9GDQR0-UD7NC94-27P8M66-PG2NL

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I see they gave out the special passes to people who pre-ordered. Do people who use them get anything outside of the title?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently its the full game? So basically save someone $5.

Oh, and gift giver guy gets a ?? day value pack.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh they are full game? nice. No wonder the reddit is demanding to see level 30 screenshots before giving them out.

Nef Arious
Oct 14, 2012

That reminds me - I have these full game passes as well - enjoy!

60T0P76-DTJFJN9-CRGD2CF-QEE6H - gone

RQ11BOB-3RG16GV-UM9H291-UQPIP - gone

OCU3S8K-J1RK1BQ-SCF24PH-ACMNR - gone

All gone!

Nef Arious fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nef Arious posted:

60T0P76-DTJFJN9-CRGD2CF-QEE6H

Took this one. Thanks!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Edit: Moved to another post.

Katt fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 3, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

witch or wizard for a first character?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

queeb posted:

witch or wizard for a first character?

Both are good as first characters. Wizard is arguably a little bit better but just choose whatever you want

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

my wizard looks like a fuckin hobo and im riding a donkey. amazing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat i have no idea wtf im doing in this game but its got a grip on me. level 18 now, just running around veila or whatever doin some gathering quests. choppin trees and poo poo, bought an in room and put an alchemy station in it cause i thought i needed one for the quest but i guess there's just a menu for basic crafting. seeing nodes around i can buy and set up a trade route or something? might try and set one up to the western guard camp cause some dude there was asking.

legit no idea what im doing but its good

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It's a very good world they have built. As you build up your contribution, my advice would be to start with setting up a network to make beer to feed your workers (and get more contribution).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the travellers pack worth it? Im just on the 7 day guest pass but 15 bucks or whatever seems fair.

Edit: When do i start getting workers? Will the game introduce me to that eventually?

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 28, 2017

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

queeb posted:

is the travellers pack worth it? Im just on the 7 day guest pass but 15 bucks or whatever seems fair.

Edit: When do i start getting workers? Will the game introduce me to that eventually?

Totally worth it in my opinion.

J
Jun 10, 2001

queeb posted:

Yeah the travellers pack is worth it. So is the explorer's pack, for that matter. Regarding workers, if you just follow the black spirit quests and the story quests, you should get pointed to velia. Sounds like by your other post you were already doing stuff in velia. Velia is basically a tutorial town that introduces a lot of stuff. It's been a long rear end time since I did all those starting quests but at the time I do seem to remember one that introduced how buildings, workers, and lodging work. I think there was one that showed you how to hire a worker and get him farming potatoes at one of the nearby farms.

In any case, as a general rule in this game you often don't have to do any prereqs to unlock stuff. Like right now you could go to velia, talk to Santo Manzi the worker hiring guy (the icon on the map for him looks like a mining pick), and contract a worker. When you click that button it is going to cost you 5 energy and show you a random worker. Make sure you have some silver in the velia bank or on your character. Ideally at least 90,000 in case you get lucky and roll an artisan (orange) tier worker. Don't hire a grey (naive) worker ever, they can't be promoted and are complete poo poo.

If you're ever wondering how certain systems work in the game, dulfy's guides are a great place to start to learn the basics.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah it seems like there's a ton of quests in that town. i started one production/gathering chain and i've been following it for like an hour helping out some farmers and a watchtower and poo poo.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

There are thousands of quests in this game, don't get bogged down in them unless you really want to do them. The black spirit quests are the important ones and feel free to ignore everything else along the way if it suits you.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do I legit have like 3 million bucks now from all these gold bars people give me? Here trip this bully, ill give you 500k

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

queeb posted:

do I legit have like 3 million bucks now from all these gold bars people give me? Here trip this bully, ill give you 500k

Yup you're rich now dude!

(just kidding...you need billions in this game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do people say 1kkk for billion though???