Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It's like you are speaking another language. Which reminds me. I saw Holden (?) will be introducing OnStar. All I can think is because the cars will be imports that will have the equipment and it will leave consumers feeling neglected.

That was directed at STR. Sneaky post there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Bingo wash that sucker!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

loving took long enough. Old roommates finally showed up (after over half a dozen no-shows) to get all of their poo poo. Didn't have to deal with them face to face; we agreed I'd put everything out on the porch at a specific time. When I left 45 minutes later, everything was gone.

I finally have room for the small dining set I've been trying to bring in.

Also, catte enjoys warmth from ~350 watts of Christmas tree lights (this space was overflowing with ex roomie crap this morning).

(no... that cord coming out of the baseboard is not power... it's cat6, desk used to be over there)

General_Failure posted:

It's like you are speaking another language. Which reminds me. I saw Holden (?) will be introducing OnStar. All I can think is because the cars will be imports that will have the equipment and it will leave consumers feeling neglected.

That was directed at STR. Sneaky post there.

Trap sprung! :laffo:

OnStar certainly has its place, but it's expensive! And doesn't work in the middle of nowhere (at least, mine didn't work on much of I-10 between cities - it includes a built-in phone, at least on my car, and I was trying to use it when my own mobile didn't have service).

The newer OnStar systems have separate radio modules, so they can be swapped out for different markets (or even upgrades to newer tech). I'm kinda surprised it wasn't already over there to be honest, but I'd imagine Australia has massive swaths of areas without mobile coverage, right? It tends to run over HSPA and LTE networks (CDMA 1xRTT on older US versions, like mine, or the originals ran on AMPS, which is dead in the US).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 22, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

I generally choose to see individuals as inherently good, and they usually live up to it.

For all my professed pessimism I'm kinda the same way. I talked my uncle off the warpath after some shop hosed up an alternator replacement on my grandma's car; he went straight to "they intentionally did it wrong so she'd have to come back and pay more money", I was more inclined to think they just left a connector unplugged or something. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, and all that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ajit Pai is not an individual. He's a collection of cockroaches stuffed into an even bigger rear end in a top hat's skin. Why let a previous telcom CEO lead the FCC?!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ajit Pai is not an individual. He's a collection of cockroaches stuffed into an even bigger rear end in a top hat's skin. Why let a previous telcom CEO lead the FCC?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Enourmo, I have to agree. Although I have met some genuinely awful people in my life of different varieties. There are still a lot of nice people left. Thing is, even they will admit they are scared of helping people because of possible repocussions from the person being a raging oval office, or from the wildly flailing arm of the law pointed blindly in their direction by some asshat based off malice or misinformation.

I could tell stories, but they won't add much.

Yeah OnStar seems a little weird to be introducing over here. I bet it's next to useless and overpriced, then shut down in a couple of years.

I have to add this. Communism works okay without the human element. It looks good-ish on paper if we completely strip humanity from it. It'd be a great way to organise a civilization of machines. One thing I will give Soviet Russia is I liked their idea of farming as a day job for a number of people, rather than a small number of farmers working themself to an early death.

E: Ajit Pai is a turd. (mini edit. Pai not Pal. He ain't my friend).
Anyone that follows AusPol knows our govt is a clogged toilet of turds squeezed out by various "sponsors". This guy though... If he succeeds it will gently caress the internet internationally, at least for a while.

Speaking of Internet. Those poor bastards are still hard at work, on the same block, laying infrastructure for the NBN. I think the composition of the ground is loving them over big time. Dense, ancient baked clay. I can't wait to pay more for a similar speed service which may or may not have a cap. At least we get an upgrade from 60 year old lead to fiber. Pew pew lasers.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 22, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

We see the world through glasses with lenses we are completely in control of. A lot of people just don't realize it.

I generally choose to see individuals as inherently good, and they usually live up to it.

Individuals are one thing, governments are something else entirely.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Seminal Flu posted:

Yet governments are comprised of individuals

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

We see the world through glasses with lenses we are completely in control of. A lot of people just don't realize it.

I think individuals are inherently good when dealing with other individuals. As soon as they perceive themselves to be dealing with an organisation, no matter how big or small, I think that goodwill often goes out the window.

I suspect that part of this is due to people dealing large organisations (note the *incredibly deserved* scorn people heap upon utilities ITT) and that experience informs how they will react to "mom and pop" businesses/NGA/whatever. This is a basic social heuristic and I find myself guilty of it all the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

I tend to see individuals like that, yes, but in groups of 10 or more I think they're insufferable cunts, and they usually live up to it. Congress is a good example.

Because Trump, duh. It's what he does.
It *has* to be an elaborate joke to see how much he can gently caress with us before we throw him out

Seminal Flu posted:

Yes, that.

slothrop posted:

I think individuals are inherently good when dealing with other individuals. As soon as they perceive themselves to be dealing with an organisation, no matter how big or small, I think that goodwill often goes out the window.

I suspect that part of this is due to people dealing large organisations (note the *incredibly deserved* scorn people heap upon utilities ITT) and that experience informs how they will react to "mom and pop" businesses/NGA/whatever. This is a basic social heuristic and I find myself guilty of it all the time.

And that, as well. I think it tends to be a learned response to how large organizations tend to treat individuals, and just escalates from there. Both parties get dehumanized - the individual becomes a number or a "resource" for the organization, and the organization becomes a faceless, immoral machine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Well to be fair Tom Wheeler was a lobbyist and industry guy but he clearly did the right thing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Well to be fair Tom Wheeler was a lobbyist and industry guy but he clearly did the right thing

I was actually kind of surprised by him, to be honest.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Posting this again for emphasis. If you've got 8 minutes to spare, it's a great watch.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

Posting this again for emphasis. If you've got 8 minutes to spare, it's a great watch.

Just watched it actually. nice video. Sorry I spread this thought germ, re: Net Neutrality.

Best Mod. <3

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Because Trump, duh. It's what he does.
It *has* to be an elaborate joke to see how much he can gently caress with us before we throw him out

Hurry up plz

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Because the administration that appointed him has the literal stated goal of removing any and all regulation created by the Obama administration because Obama. That's all. There is no deeper goal here beyond hating Obama and sucking the crusty dicks of their corporate donors.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Just watched it actually. nice video. Sorry I spread this thought germ, re: Net Neutrality.

Best Mod. <3

Props yo. Thanks for watching it. Not to say there's no ideas worth fighting for, but when I see a lot of anger and other appeals to emotion, I start to wonder the history behind the narrative. We all do this poo poo. I do it constantly.

Really the only way I have found to get past it is check myself frequently, which is very difficult to do when my judgment is clouded with emotion. Catch 22 gently caress IM SO ANGRY.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Props yo. Thanks for watching it. Not to say there's no ideas worth fighting for, but when I see a lot of anger and other appeals to emotion, I start to wonder the history behind the narrative. We all do this poo poo. I do it constantly.

Really the only way I have found to get past it is check myself frequently, which is very difficult to do when my judgment is clouded with emotion. Catch 22 gently caress IM SO ANGRY.

Oh, this absolutely.
I hate it when I get angry. It clouds my judgement, but of course most times you only think of that after the fact.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That explains grandma and grampa. The anger neurons are the only ones left firing :sad:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Goober Peas posted:

I...actually had this conversation with someone last week. Cavatappi is almost impossible to find. I found some at Whole Foods and at a local international market.

WOO! Harris Teeter #3 had it!
2 harris teeters, 2 safeways, a wegmans, a food lion and a walmart all failed me.

redgubbinz posted:

If any supermarkets near you carry DeCecco pasta they'll probably have cavatappi, it's my go-to since it holds sauce nicely.

The harris teeter I found it at had both their own brand and DeCecco. I went with the HT house brand because I'm curious if it's any good. That and it's only $1/box.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That doesn't really absolve the lobbying power and our current levels of bull headed corruption that inhabit our government currently, especially with people like Pai who is fully willing to buy whatever argument gets him the most money. These are people who openly flaunt ignorance as a GOOD thing, and they are not inherently good people.

What's the saying: Those who claim they will do the most good often do the most harm. People like Devos and others in the GOP come to mind: Theocrats openly willing to oppress others "For their own good"

You can try to put a positive spin on it all you want, but the bottom line is: Trump has selected the most self-centered and greedy group of people with the purpose of breaking the government. And it will do real harm.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 22, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I wonder how much stock in various companies that will benefit from the elimination of net neutrality are held by Fai through various difficult to trace methods... Given that he was a high muckety muck in at least one of them, I would be shocked if he had no stock holdings that would be affected by this.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

That doesn't really absolve the lobbying power and our current levels of bull headed corruption that inhabit our government currently, especially with people like Pai who is fully willing to buy whatever argument gets him the most money. These are people who openly flaunt ignorance as a GOOD thing, and they are not inherently good people.

What's the saying: Those who claim they will do the most good often do the most harm. People like Devos and others in the GOP come to mind: Theocrats openly willing to oppress others "For their own good"

You can try to put a positive spin on it all you want, but the bottom line is: Trump has selected the most self-centered and greedy group of people with the purpose of breaking the government. And it will do real harm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Theocrats openly willing to oppress others "For their own good"
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Dude really I do not want to keep probating you for all this political poo poo but you keep bringing it up constantly and it's going to cause another angry mob in the chat thread. Stop.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

should i put my pitchfork back in the garage then?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in general non-political news: the world is hosed, the bad guys are winning, and we're all going to die

now lets go eat some turkey and trample people for a lovely tv! hell yeah!!

edit: also rip germany

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Dude really I do not want to keep probating you for all this political poo poo but you keep bringing it up constantly and it's going to cause another angry mob in the chat thread. Stop.

Then we can't discuss Net Neutrality, because right now its an inherently political issue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Real cool how this professor gives us bonus quizzes for peer reviewing other groups' presentations, then just casually has them start 5-10 minutes early.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 22, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Then we can't discuss Net Neutrality, because right now its an inherently political issue.

Sounds good. There's plenty of other places to get your fix. Check out reddit right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Sounds good. There's plenty of other places to get your fix. Check out reddit right now.

https://youtu.be/DOqb_UzJSUQ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I broke a piece of trim in the elevator lobby of just messing around. Building quoted $1000 to fix it. So now I'm sitting here waiting for my glue to dry.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I broke a piece of trim in the elevator lobby of just messing around. Building quoted $1000 to fix it. So now I'm sitting here waiting for my glue to dry.

How did they find out you broke it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How did they find out you broke it?

I fessed up right away cuz in a decent human being and also there's cameras.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

When will someone make a weld in roof kit for Miatas I wonder. I think an FD RX7 fastback sectioned down to fit would be a good starting point.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

If anyone is after a steam link it's currently 90% off (down to £3.99)
I use one quite regularly and they are nicely made

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

freelop posted:

Gamestop doesn't have it available for free pickup anymore and shipping in the US is $8.
Still a fantastic deal, but silly that sending the box costs more than buying it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

freelop posted:

Thank you, friend. Somehow, I wasn't even aware of the existence of the Steam Link. I didn't really care for playing games in my office, where my desktop is. Now I don't have to.

edit: Gamestop doesn't have it available at all, online, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

plus £7.40 shipping :(

• Locked thread