Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lowen SoDium posted:

Why does the HND15 not fit with it?

AFAIK I think you can remove the mounting clamp hardware and fit it, but would need to create higher tension (washers?)

I want a high quality air cooler I can fit and run direct die (with a shim) and retain the mounting hardware in the CPU socket.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think parts of the socket hit against the base of the cpu cooler. You'd have to carve parts of the socket away to fit most heatsinks with good contact to shim& cpu core.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My delid appears to be successful. I'm seeing a good 10-20C drop depending on load conditions. Not too shabby.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You can shims off Aliexpress that replace the stock retention clamp, search for "delid die mate". Unless you're using an EK block and can use their lowered mount you'll most likely need to mod your mounting hardware however.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Got my 8700K back from Silicon Lottery today. Played PUBG all night and streamed, never broke 60C. I'll try my motherboard's auto 5Ghz setting tomorrow and see how hot that runs.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

In more fun news, don't forget to apply security patches to your processors: https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

How?

Wait, will this update CPUs?:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Or does this need to be done via a motherboard firmware update? :confused:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 21, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Got my 8700K back from Silicon Lottery today. Played PUBG all night and streamed, never broke 60C. I'll try my motherboard's auto 5Ghz setting tomorrow and see how hot that runs.

What board? The auto settings on some boards WAYYYYY overvolt the hell out of the CPU. Even if you use the auto settings go back and I'd make sure the core voltage is, like, 1.35 or something, not over 1.4. It's pretty easy to change the settings and as long as you don't turn off the throttles and protections you won't hurt anything.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Thanks for the cooler replies! Did not know about that TDP trick, poo poo has moved on since Haswell. Or it's my lovely Gigabyte board :v:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Three-Phase posted:

How?

Wait, will this update CPUs?:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Or does this need to be done via a motherboard firmware update? :confused:

A minix kernel runs locally on the die. It's still unclear how to update this in all cases, right now they're telling you to go through your OEM for an update package but maybe there will be a generic updater on the Intel support download site. That tool just tells you if you have effected unpatched hardware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It will be the same as all microcode updates - your OS applies it temporarily (each time you boot) via Windows Update or intel-microcode package on Linux, and then the "permanent" fix is a UEFI update for your motherboard.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Ugh is 1.3x volts or higher ok for the CL cpu? Thought that was the upper maximum voltage to use with sandybridge back in the days and that was on a larger node too.

Are people bringing old sandybridge habits over with no regards to longevity while it’s still too soon to tell if it’s actually unsafe?

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
As I still debate whether to keep the immortal 2500k system up and running or upgrade to a Coffee Lake system, I was wondering two things:

a) those of you that upgraded (presumably to a 8700k) - was it what you expected?

b) those of you that did not upgrade (and, of course, could afford to) - why not?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Encrypted posted:

Ugh is 1.3x volts or higher ok for the CL cpu? Thought that was the upper maximum voltage to use with sandybridge back in the days and that was on a larger node too.

Are people bringing old sandybridge habits over with no regards to longevity while it’s still too soon to tell if it’s actually unsafe?

Under 1.4v is generally considered safe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DoctorOfLawls posted:

As I still debate whether to keep the immortal 2500k system up and running or upgrade to a Coffee Lake system, I was wondering two things:

a) those of you that upgraded (presumably to a 8700k) - was it what you expected?

b) those of you that did not upgrade (and, of course, could afford to) - why not?

I went 2500K > 6600K with NVME and:
- it boots quicker then my monitor
- any operation with a delay, or anything time consuming is significantly faster on the whateverlake
- FPS is impossible to tell as I also got a 1080
- My sandy board died the week after, RIP

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 22, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since like 65nm node sizes have been similar in reality. There's a chart of node names and actual transistor sizes and they kind of hit a wall at 65nm and everything smaller after that has been stuff like in between spacing and overall transistor implementation beyond simply shrinking them.

I upgraded from a 2500K to a 5820K because I'm able to use 6 cores. If you can't use 6 cores you can keep waiting until you can. I think in a year or two I'll end up upgrading to a 6900K because I think I'll start doing stuff that can use 8 cores. If you can't benefit from HT there's no reason to get a 8700K over a 8600K, I use my 5820K with HT disabled because it hurts more than it helps in the stuff I do. I'm assuming you're overclocking your Sandybridge, if you're not then a 8400 will be a huge upgrade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Wait for ram prices to go down IMO unless your hardware is dying.

One of the reasons I'm waiting is I want a non-OCing chipset which should also bring the price down or at least offset the awful DDR 4 cost.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I went from a 2500k to a 8700k. Yes it was great and a fantastic upgrade. If I could expect the same jump in perf after 6 years I will gladly spend the money again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 2500k was still fine but I figured hey it had been 6 years (almost to the day) and I was used to an upgrade every year or two before that so why the hell not.

Still waiting on the case before putting it all together :f5:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am going from an i7-920 (four cores) to a i5-8600k (six cores).

Hopefully I get at least twice the performance.

EDIT: looks like it goes from about 5000 to 13000 :psyduck:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 22, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Still sitting on my 2500K with a 1060. I don't really want to build a new system until we see a new round of GPUs and I'm not just moving over the one I have or paying for a bigger version of the same thing. I'm also not playing any games that really tax what I have recently.

I am hoping the next round of Ryzen will be able to bump clock speed or IPC up a bit and decouple the core complex interconnect from memory speed. Coffee Lake looks pretty good so far but it feels like the bar has been raised and I'm just not as excited by 6 cores anymore.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am going from an i7-920 (four cores) to a i5-8600k (six cores).

Hopefully I get at least twice the performance.

EDIT: looks like it goes from about 5000 to 13000 :psyduck:

I went too from a 3.5ghz i7 920 to a 4.7ghz 8700k (no delid yet) and it definitely was a huge :psyduck:

If only Intel had released mainstream 6cores a little earlier..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

My 2500k was still fine but I figured hey it had been 6 years (almost to the day) and I was used to an upgrade every year or two before that so why the hell not.

Still waiting on the case before putting it all together :f5:

i7-2600K for life!

I hate USB devices (don’t care that I don’t have Intel USB 3.0), and I’ve got a Samsung 850 Pro + my desktop is never off, so boot time doesn’t matter. Only thing I’m sad about is a P67 chipset so I can’t use IGP, but I can run three monitors from my 1080.

Maybe using a machine with a NVMe drive would change my mind, but I don’t do any one specific task enough to warrant upgrading. Games, programming, engineering (circuit design / simulation / FPGA / embedded), light video editing, etc all are “fast” to me.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

movax posted:

Maybe using a machine with a NVMe drive would change my mind

It won't. I modded the bios on a Z77 board to use one. The difference from a normal 2.5 SSD is basically unnoticeable for 99% of use.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

willroc7 posted:

It won't. I modded the bios on a Z77 board to use one. The difference from a normal 2.5 SSD is basically unnoticeable for 99% of use.

yeah it's not even really noticeable in stuff like game loading times, which you would think it might help with, definitely very hard to notice in day to day use. not that it doesn't affect anything, but diminishing returns etc

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I've posted about that before in the SSD thread: basically beyond SATA speeds you're actually CPU limited. Even for well-coded things, decompression of data can't keep up even on 8 core CPUs. The things that actually benefit from NVMe are non-compressed data (so boot, VMs, databases, etc)

I'm kinda hoping we someday see CPUs with hardware decompression cores or fpgas. But then there's also the problem of getting software to make use of it... but I want games without load time at all, darn it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

I went too from a 3.5ghz i7 920
If only Intel had released mainstream 6cores a little earlier..

Your old platform was the last mainstream Intel platform with readily available hexacores. Although they launched at crazy prices, so I guess there's that.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 22, 2017

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hi I just want to play videogames on my 144hz monitor should I get a 8600k or wait an entire year for 8 core intel/zen 2?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorOfLawls posted:

B) Trying to push a 1440p monitor @ 96hz with a 1080 and newer games are putting a little stress on my immortal beloved 2500k. It's not much, but in new games it's annoying to see it bottleneck the 1080 when trying to stay at 90+ fps. I haven't sprung for an 8700k yet though as it's not that much of an impact so I'm holding off to see the difference in price and benchmarks with an 8700(non-K) and H-series board, let prices stabilize a bit, and cause :effort:. I have this hope of an 8700+H mobo being able to turbo all cores to 4.7 and get 98% real world 1440p performance of an OC'd 8700k for a lot cheaper and no tweaking.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Otakufag posted:

Hi I just want to play videogames on my 144hz monitor should I get a 8600k or wait an entire year for 8 core intel/zen 2?

Games typically bottleneck on a single thread, usually the main engine or render thread.

There isn't much of a reason to go with 8 cores over 6 for gaming.

And there probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

Games typically bottleneck on a single thread, usually the main engine or render thread.

There isn't much of a reason to go with 8 cores over 6 for gaming.

And there probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

To second this, the only reason I'm shooting for an 8700 over 8600 is cause I'm hoping it'll last another 4+ years and that games might start to use the extra 2 cores sometime before I replace it, don't count on them benefiting from 8 for a long time though. It's looking like a good time to go ahead with the 8600k.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Games are hardly ever the only software running on a system at once

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

To second this, the only reason I'm shooting for an 8700 over 8600 is cause I'm hoping it'll last another 4+ years and that games might start to use the extra 2 cores sometime before I replace it, don't count on them benefiting from 8 for a long time though. It's looking like a good time to go ahead with the 8600k.

The 8600K also has 6 cores, and from what I saw, the 8700K is only marginally better for gaming.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 22, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The extra cores can be nice for doing a stream/dvr encode but the new game mode features deprioritize and defer background tasks during full-screen games which helps make that problem moot.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Games are hardly ever the only software running on a system at once

Right, but if you have 6 cores and one core is bottlenecking then the OS will generally place the other programs on a different core which minimizes their impact on the game.

I've got a quad core and it is pretty common to see 1 core maxed and 3 cores at or under 50%.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

crazypenguin posted:

I've posted about that before in the SSD thread: basically beyond SATA speeds you're actually CPU limited. Even for well-coded things, decompression of data can't keep up even on 8 core CPUs. The things that actually benefit from NVMe are non-compressed data (so boot, VMs, databases, etc)

I'm kinda hoping we someday see CPUs with hardware decompression cores or fpgas. But then there's also the problem of getting software to make use of it... but I want games without load time at all, darn it.

Really? Geez, that's interesting, though depressing. So if you already have an SSD, improving loading times on a game like Civ V iwill really only happen through a CPU upgrade?

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Really? Geez, that's interesting, though depressing. So if you already have an SSD, improving loading times on a game like Civ V will really only happen through a CPU upgrade?

Yep. (Though for Civ V, the big problem is just lazy coding... they didn't care about load times at all. So much gameplay data is scattered about in a huge number of xml files that it's only a moderate exaggeration to say the load times are so long because the game is compiling itself every run. If they just cached that work, it'd literally be 1000 times faster.)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

crazypenguin posted:

Yep. (Though for Civ V, the big problem is just lazy coding... they didn't care about load times at all. So much gameplay data is scattered about in a huge number of xml files that it's only a moderate exaggeration to say the load times are so long because the game is compiling itself every run. If they just cached that work, it'd literally be 1000 times faster.)

It's funny how easy it is to fall into this trap. You think, I'll just have all the game data be kept in human-readable* text files that the game parses at startup. Then you keep adding more and more things that that system can control, and other people add things, and before you know it your game takes an entire minute to get itself to the main menu.

* Yes yes XML is ugly and killed all of our parents but it's still human-readable compared to, say, a raw dump of a sqlite database

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

HalloKitty posted:

Your old platform was the last mainstream Intel platform with readily available hexacores. Although they launched at crazy prices, so I guess there's that.

Yeah, I bought a used X58 mobo off of SA mart, then figured out I could run a hexacore Gulftown Xeon on it for dirt cheap. I managed to get a 3.06ghz Xeon stable at 3.6 on a 212 Evo. The IPC isn't great compared to Sandy/Ivy Bridge E, but I only put about 250$ in it and it's been running my VM's for years.

I think I'm finally going to retire it soon, debating between X99/Haswell E and Threadripper. If only the TR motherboards weren't so expensive....

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I bought a used X58 mobo off of SA mart, then figured out I could run a hexacore Gulftown Xeon on it for dirt cheap. I managed to get a 3.06ghz Xeon stable at 3.6 on a 212 Evo. The IPC isn't great compared to Sandy/Ivy Bridge E, but I only put about 250$ in it and it's been running my VM's for years.

I think I'm finally going to retire it soon, debating between X99/Haswell E and Threadripper. If only the TR motherboards weren't so expensive....

Microcenter might still have some open-box X99 boards available if that's your thing. They also have some pretty killer deals on TR right now - you can get a 1950X for $700 and they have mobos starting at $300. Yeah, the prices on the TR motherboards are pretty :staredog: but it is a lot of horsepower too.

Ryzen is dirt-cheap right now as well, and probably roughly on par with what you can affordably get for X99 processors. The 6950X still runs away a bit but they're also still pretty spendy, and 8C Ryzen is fairly compelling vs the 6C and 8C X99 processors given the cost.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Struensee posted:

The 8600K also has 6 cores, and from what I saw, the 8700K is only marginally better for gaming.

Oh lordy, thanks! I (obviously) haven't paid that close attention, thought 8600s were quads, and now it sounds dumb to wait months to see how things shake and price out with the H series boards for an 8700 boosting to 4.7 instead of just starting to look for cheaper 8600Ks now and OCing. Just want to 'futureproof' going for 6 cores, don't care about hyperthreading as it's just for games and not having to close all tabs first like it's 2004. Cool cool, step closer to replacing ol' Sandy.