Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You are being :fishmech:ed. Don't let yourself be :fishmech:ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I for one don't really want to ride in a car that's a big steel box with no windows. :shrug:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PittTheElder posted:

I for one don't really want to ride in a car that's a big steel box with no windows. :shrug:

Yeah, that would be boring as hell.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just put wheels on a coffin and you can sleep while commuting or have the 'roof open' like a convertible and then when there is an accident you save on funeral costs.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Pictured: EoRaptor's windowless, autonomous car

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

xergm posted:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunkill posted:

Just put wheels on a coffin and you can sleep while commuting or have the 'roof open' like a convertible and then when there is an accident you save on funeral costs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xergm posted:

I never said windowless :pseudo:. Also it’d have four wheels and a rounded shape for aerodynamic performance. :rice:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I can tell the King St. experiment is going to be a good thing because it's already enraging Ford Nation. http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/criticism-car-free-king-street-toronto/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Chris Knight posted:

I can tell the King St. experiment is going to be a good thing because it's already enraging Ford Nation. http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/criticism-car-free-king-street-toronto/

At first I thought you mean Ford Nation as in some dumb name that Ford marketing gave to their fans

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Hasn't Homer Simpson already designed the perfect car of the future back in the 90s?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

fishmech posted:

Taking away the steering wheel does change that. How, exactly, are you proposing that human occupant operate the steering of the car without it, when the self-driving functionality is unable to run? Like you seem to really not be getting that if a couple important sensors break or get blocked off by something (road grime, snow, whatever) the car can no longer self drive, but a human could drive it with the appropriate controls.

There are no cars that are actually self-driving . Tesla's Model 3 can barely be manufactured and their supposed self-driving functionality literally has killed people in the past, as it's the same package as on the Model S and X. You need far more than the sensors used for driver assist technology to actually create a safe and working self-driving car that can handle conditions beyond "perfectly sunny day on those 50 blocks of Mountain View we've tested on for 5 years".

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11/fully-driverless-cars-are-here/

quote:

Waymo is now confident enough in its technology to dispense with a safety driver. The company has released a video showing Waymo cars driving around the Phoenix area with no one in the driver's seat

At first, most of Waymo's driverless cars will have an employee in the back observing the vehicle's behavior. If something goes really wrong, they'll be able to push the "pull over" button to stop the car.

Last month, I asked Ryan Harding, a spokesman for the Arizona Department of Transportation, if there were any legal barriers to launching a fully driverless self-driving taxi service in the state. "I'm not aware of any current law that would prohibit" fully driverless taxis on public streets, Harding said. "We don't have a problem with that."

The leftmost button initiates a call to Waymo's customer service center. The second button locks and unlocks the doors. The third button causes the car to pull over—though Waymo says the car won't stop in an unsafe place, like in the middle of an intersection. The rightmost button tells the car to start the ride.
Waymo is already testing in Detroit.

It seems like reality has already solved those unsolvable problems you've brought up.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DTurtle posted:

It seems like reality has already solved those unsolvable problems you've brought up.

I have a feeling that this topic would be better discussed with some automotive engineers in the room - and preferably without a certain know-it-all. But thanks for that link! I, too, was unaware that Waymo were so far ahead of the game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DTurtle posted:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11/fully-driverless-cars-are-here/

Waymo is already testing in Detroit.

Testing is way the gently caress away from being something that actually works in practice in all the conditions a normal driver will expect to experience. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for people to grasp.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

fishmech posted:

Testing is way the gently caress away from being something that actually works in practice in all the conditions a normal driver will expect to experience. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for people to grasp.
Except that for now it does not have to work in all conditions a normal driver can experience. It has to be good enough to recognize when it is getting into a situation that it can't handle (ice, extreme rain, etc.) and be able to react safely - ie. pull off to the side of the road and call in.

Does Waymo currently have a product and solution that can completely replace owning a car? No. But they are able to provide a taxi service without a driver. It is currently location locked and probably weather dependent, but they have a working system that can be incrementally expanded and improved. That is a system that is becoming a reality right now. There are autonomous cars - without a driver at the wheel, or able to grab the wheel - driving on public roads right this second.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
But it's not perfect and doesn't work in all conditions therefore it can't possibly replace any percentage of human drivers who are also not perfect and can't drive in all conditions. :rolleyes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DTurtle posted:

Except that for now it does not have to work in all conditions a normal driver can experience. It has to be good enough to recognize when it is getting into a situation that it can't handle (ice, extreme rain, etc.) and be able to react safely - ie. pull off to the side of the road and call in.

Does Waymo currently have a product and solution that can completely replace owning a car? No. But they are able to provide a taxi service without a driver. It is currently location locked and probably weather dependent, but they have a working system that can be incrementally expanded and improved. That is a system that is becoming a reality right now. There are autonomous cars - without a driver at the wheel, or able to grab the wheel - driving on public roads right this second.

No they do not have the ability to provide a taxi service without a driver. Since as you said right there it's extremely location and weather dependent. And just saying "but it could improve later" is no guarantee it actually will.

There have been "autonomous cars" "on public roads right this second" for going on 20 years now. Turns out that has said about nothing about their practicality as something that you can actually use.

wolrah posted:

But it's not perfect and doesn't work in all conditions therefore it can't possibly replace any percentage of human drivers who are also not perfect and can't drive in all conditions. :rolleyes:

When they can't actually function outside 6 random patches of 3 cities in good weather and with human drivers around them behaving correctly, they're not useful at all.

No amount of you people who really really want it and want to handwave things way is going to fix the problems at hand.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
This reminds me of when authorities insisted someone walk in front of a car waving a flag just in case a horse got startled or something.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

The Deadly Hume posted:

This reminds me of when authorities insisted someone walk in front of a car waving a flag just in case a horse got startled or something.
It's really not the same. The difference is degrees of force when you're talking about a 30 MPH horse versus a 30 MPH car versus a 30 MPH bus.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

http://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/denver-department-of-public-works/projects/current/colfax-corridor-connections.html

the RTD district wants to build a BRT line down the middle of east Colfax from downtown to Aurora. Come on, build a streetcar line instead.

A few things; unless 13th, 14th, 16th, and 18th avenues are improved too, taking a thru lane away from Colfax is going to create a huge traffic mess.

would it be more feasible to use the one way streets that are one block north and south that go completely through from downtown to Aurora.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 27, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have to say thank you to this thread. I recently started working at a regional planning office, and the fact that I have recreationally read the MUTCD has so far come up twice and in at least one time I have won actual money on a bet (that the Red, White and Blue stripe in the middle of a Rhode Island town is legit).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

(that the Red, White and Blue stripe in the middle of a Rhode Island town is legit).

Oh man my city would be all over this if they knew it was a thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man my city would be all over this if they knew it was a thing.
It isn't for anyone else, it's literally a specific legal exemption for that street.

quote:

Section 353(b) STRIPES — Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a red, white, and blue center line in the Main Street of Bristol, Rhode Island, shall be deemed to comply with the requirements of Section 3B-1 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices of the Department of Transportation.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/104th-congress/senate-bill/440/text

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wolrah posted:

It isn't for anyone else, it's literally a specific legal exemption for that street.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/104th-congress/senate-bill/440/text

How in the world did that one happen, and why?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poo poo gets grandfathered in, the same reason there's "historic" highways that don't need to be brought up to reasonable modern standards

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

How in the world did that one happen, and why?

I'm going to guess that the higher authorities managed to bully all the other towns and cities into repaving their streets to have compliant stripes, but that place alone refused to buckle under and they finally said "fine, these guys can have it for now".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Presumably something something PATRIOTIC. And that is exactly the kind of hill small town politicians will die on every time.

Unless they have a significant problem with people somehow confusing it for a dashed passing zone line, who cares, that thing rules.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

poo poo gets grandfathered in, the same reason there's "historic" highways that don't need to be brought up to reasonable modern standards

Like the Old Spiral Highway.

The town is a shipping hub. Semi trucks used to take it, at 25MPH, because it rises a thousand feet or something absurd. Entire thing is like 7%+ grade. One lane each way, baby.

Then they built the bypass off to the east there and it's now a hillclimb course, though technically still an open road otherwise.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 28, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Javid posted:

Presumably something something PATRIOTIC. And that is exactly the kind of hill small town politicians will die on every time.

Unless they have a significant problem with people somehow confusing it for a dashed passing zone line, who cares, that thing rules.
I see that line and I think Netherlands or France

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
hahahaha fuckin' Lewiston. That shitshow of a highway is used heavily to hazetrain the student drivers at the trucking school there.

Elsewhere in the area there's a sharp 90 degree turn right before an 18% grade that's abused similarly for the amusement of the elders.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Grew up there. Are you me?

The abrupt lane change before the bridge to North Lewiston hosed me up, too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Like the Old Spiral Highway.

The town is a shipping hub. Semi trucks used to take it, at 25MPH, because it rises a thousand feet or something absurd. Entire thing is like 7%+ grade. One lane each way, baby.

Then they built the bypass off to the east there and it's now a hillclimb course, though technically still an open road otherwise.

:stare:

Please tell me that this is open to the public so that I can slide off the edge from taking a curve too fast and die shiny and chrome experience it's wonder and glory

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Grew up there. Are you me?

The abrupt lane change before the bridge to North Lewiston hosed me up, too.

Fancy city folk. Half my family is from Grangeville. And by Grangeville, we mean Fenn. And by Fenn, we mean that's where the nearest paved road is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I see that line and I think Netherlands or France

Luxemburg.

Or, honestly, any of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_White_and_Blue

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Please tell me that this is open to the public so that I can slide off the edge from taking a curve too fast and die shiny and chrome experience it's wonder and glory

http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4329-phantom-canyon-road.html

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

will_colorado posted:

http://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/denver-department-of-public-works/projects/current/colfax-corridor-connections.html

the RTD district wants to build a BRT line down the middle of east Colfax from downtown to Aurora. Come on, build a streetcar line instead.

Dunno, knowing how absurdly expensive it is to build a streetcar line in America compared to anywhere else, I'd go for the BRT too.

will_colorado posted:

A few things; unless 13th, 14th, 16th, and 18th avenues are improved too, taking a thru lane away from Colfax is going to create a huge traffic mess.

would it be more feasible to use the one way streets that are one block north and south that go completely through from downtown to Aurora.
As in running the BRT on either East 17th or East 13th Ave or splitting between East 17th and 13th?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:vince:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Volmarias posted:

it is. but you have to go to Lewiston/Clarkston to drive on it, so is it really worth it?

also: how are there so many LWS goons around (I'm not one but I have family there)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

will_colorado posted:

Proper BRT with all-door loading and modern vehicles can be just as nice as rail. Even without dedicated ROW, it can be nice, the SDX in Las Vegas for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

a patagonian cavy posted:

it is. but you have to go to Lewiston/Clarkston to drive on it, so is it really worth it?

also: how are there so many LWS goons around (I'm not one but I have family there)

I'm actually on the east coast, I just want to know that this is An Option if I ever end up out there.