Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

King Kambrook posted:

The question I've always wondered, is when crabs get drunk, do they walk forwards or backwards?

This is a good post I am very curious about crab drugs now. Can crabs get high?

If I had a crab I'd get really high and pretend I'm talking to the aliens from Arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I spent way too much money for way too long in the reef tank hobby. The worst part is that what really brought me the most joy in my various reeftanks was watching the armies of cheap little hermit crabs you put in there to clean things. These guys are like 3/dollar. They spend their days loving each other up, shell jacking each other's homes, and scaling the rockwork, performing death-defying acts of mountain climbing, which almost always leads to them falling.

Now I want another reeftank.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Dregs posted:

I spent way too much money for way too long in the reef tank hobby. The worst part is that what really brought me the most joy in my various reeftanks was watching the armies of cheap little hermit crabs you put in there to clean things. These guys are like 3/dollar. They spend their days loving each other up, shell jacking each other's homes, and scaling the rockwork, performing death-defying acts of mountain climbing, which almost always leads to them falling.

Now I want another reeftank.

Showpiece fish are the worst. If its not just there to be snipped and snapped at by lil' claws then its sea garbage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ashmole posted:

I'm still incredibly fascinated by this video

Imagine spending the whole day working at crab auschwitz, especially those guys at the beginning spending the whole shift loading Mr Crab on the conveyer belt.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
After work, when I'm drinking away the horrors of the day at the nearest dive, I'll go into great detail about my duties as crab Mengele.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Seriously you assholes have me looking up liveaquaria.com i don't need this.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Dregs posted:

Seriously you assholes have me looking up liveaquaria.com i don't need this.

Pretty good stats on their $3.99 special fiddler crabs

$3.69/ea if you buy a dozen. That is a fantastic rate. Crab it up dude.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

gently caress YES.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
This thread has both gotten me hungry and happy for crabbies. Hopefully I'll eat some crab, and that OP posts the darn hermit vids, soon!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm sure some ivory tower intellectual is gonna try to tell us it's unethical to own a crab because we don't know what a crab NEEDS.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
CRab gotta eat too

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Ashmole posted:

Something's definitely wrong with me. I can't stop giggling while watching it. It's some pitch black humor poo poo and I love it.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Admiral Ray posted:

CRab gotta eat too

I'm loving how they use their giant fight claws to daintily eat fruit

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Have Blue posted:

Something's definitely wrong with me. I can't stop giggling while watching it. It's some pitch black humor poo poo and I love it.

it's the peaceful music, combined with how the rhythm of it matches up with the workings of the machine, combined with how peaceful the crabs look as they face down their grisly demise one by one

it's a pretty mesmerizing vid

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Hey crab crew! So sorry about the hiatus! After we wrap up turkey day, it’s back to serious business about crabs! 🦀🦀🦀

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

gender illusionist posted:

I laughed out loud, that's a great way of describing it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

Sometimes, I like to fan a slice of pizza over the tank and watch his antennae go apeshit as he searches for a pizza-flavored carcass.

haha this is awesome

I used to have an emrald crab and two pom poms
those guys were fuckin sweet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

Anyways, I really dig your war-crab concept and would totally put something like that on my desk, or cubicle shelf etc...

Back to CRAAAAABS!!!!

Did you know those little red-claw crabs they sell at pet stores and aquariums aren't meant to be totally submerged all the time in fresh water? Anyone who had these little fellas quickly found out how quirky and mischievous they can get when they constantly try to escape or make a home out of the aquarium filter housing unit. That's because they need to breathe air! They do not thrive underwater, they simply need access to water at all times, like an amphibian. Even then, it's supposed to be brackish water! Oy vey!

can they also use salt water? I always wanted to do one of those tanks that was an aquarium terrarium combo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

***INCOMING CRABS!***

Here are some random photos from the past 3 years of my crabitat:

Here is Smee riding atop of Jojo, something not so uncommon that happens to him.

Maggie Moo is ever vigilant. Whenever I let Jojo roam, I have to lock her out of the room, otherwise she immediately takes the opportunity to bat around the poor crab like one of her toys!

Captain Snips! She's a feisty little rear end-pirate. Whenever I pick her up, she retracts into her shell like they typically do, but starts angrily trying to grab anything she can in her big claw. Even when I set her down on my palm, she's determined to get a piece of my flesh in her grip. I can't stop getting owned by crabs! :3:

This is a more recent pic of Smee and the crabitat. She's grown quite a bit and has moved into even larger shells this past year. I sprinkle chia, birdseed, and quinoa into the terrarium and they readily sprout on the moss, providing a really enriching environment for the crabbies. It's basically a little ecosystem in there. There's pillbugs, crickets, small spiders, springtails, nematodes and fungus gnats that thrive in there and sort of complete a little cycle in there. The crabs obviously poo poo, and anything they don't eat that isn't too big or gross gets broken down by the various scavenging organisms in the tank, which makes for some fertile substrate for moss I gather from the woods and periodic seeds I throw in there for food and decor!

This is the best pic I could get on my phone of my current setup. My goal is to make a bigger, crabbier paradise someday once we move out of our apartment. :)

I'm going to upload a video of one of them changing shells, but I gotta edit out my dumb-rear end remark first.

nice dude, i'm pretty interested in the ecosystem part. Do you have to clean the crab poo poo at all? Or does the garbage crew truly take care of everything? iirc chias can actually grow into a tree if you let them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gender illusionist posted:

crabs are actually v refined

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

Imagine spending the whole day working at crab auschwitz, especially those guys at the beginning spending the whole shift loading Mr Crab on the conveyer belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpqQ1WCTYGE
Content Warning: crab death

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Have Blue posted:

good crab good album

when they released the extended version this was the cover

wish they kept with the crab themed albums

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling how these videos have such upbeat videos

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ashmole posted:

Automatic Crab Butchering machine

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

I would not want to mess with this crab.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu9MKu2YLj4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scary crab video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Nfu7iR7lc

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

I would not want to mess with this crab.

The most WH40k crab.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcHzxIAwVk
Surprise krab ending

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Alibaba is basically the crab holocaust museum.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

poor crabbos :(

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

one of my favorite pieces of art is all crabs

ai weiwei - river crab

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

the black husserl posted:

ai weiwei - river crab

Stinky

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the black husserl posted:

ai weiwei - river crab

Wasn't the word "river crab" banned on Chinese social media last year for being sound-alike with a government corruption?

All I'm saying is, modern art is a racket, Ai Weiwei is a hack and those good lil crabs died for no useful purpose.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Have Blue posted:

It's the music. It takes the emotion out of it and makes it this modern art monstrosity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

those are individually handcrafted porcelain crabs

ya'll are stupid lol