Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'll assuming it boosts gains, like the luxury ball and shell bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TaurusOxford posted:

It was the best gen - it's the only selling point you need. :v:

Platinum and HGSS are awesome but there’s no way I’d play dp again

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ha, that ditto sidequest at the police station.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ROFL Octopus posted:

Platinum and HGSS are awesome but there’s no way I’d play dp again

Well I would assume that any improvements that came with Platinum would be integrated into a D/P remake.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
With how ORAS didn't bother with the Battle Frontier, I'd assume that any DP remakes would be more focused on the original pair of games than on anything added in Platinum.

Although the biggest issues with DP were the atrocious battle/surf speeds and the lack of fire types. The former would be an auto-fix in a remake. The latter, probably not so much given how they didn't bother fixing stuff like the level curve in HGSS. Gotta stay faithful to the original even when the original had really dumb and unfun design decisions, after all.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think at this point I would prefer a Platinum remake instead of a DP one. DP I think had the highest champion level for a while, with Cynthia's Garchomp being at 66 for some ungodly reason. Platinum the levels were a little lower but it felt way tougher. it's probably my favorite game to replay, as insane as the sounds

give me my goddamn Gen 4 remakes and i'll be happy; lol I was 11 in 2007 when they came out, that must be the reason why I feel so strongly about these games

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

TaurusOxford posted:

Well I would assume that any improvements that came with Platinum would be integrated into a D/P remake.

Don't know why you'd assume that after ORAS

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
ORAS didn't fix a lot of RSE's issues, and it was a major disappointment for me. Come to think of it, all of the remakes had some big problems.

FRLG was frustratingly minimalist and didn't add much besides updated graphics and mechanics plus the Sevii islands. HGSS was the most ambitious and varied of all the remakes but it kept two crippling flaws: the bizarre leveling curve and the poor distribution of Pokémon in the Johto Pokédex. ORAS kept the poor Pokémon distribution (before gym 8) of the originals, discarded trainer customization, and the remixed soundtrack still is dated and grating despite the better sound quality.

I'm not sure if a DPP remake would fix its most important flaws, either. There's a good chance that they'd toss out the good stuff from Platinum like ORAS did with Emerald. At least the barely upgraded from GBA graphics, sluggish battle speed, and poor sound quality would be fixed? That last one bothered me a lot. (Most of the compositions themselves were okay. Except this one, which is nails on chalkboard for me.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I think at this point I would prefer a Platinum remake instead of a DP one. DP I think had the highest champion level for a while, with Cynthia's Garchomp being at 66 for some ungodly reason. Platinum the levels were a little lower but it felt way tougher. it's probably my favorite game to replay, as insane as the sounds

give me my goddamn Gen 4 remakes and i'll be happy; lol I was 11 in 2007 when they came out, that must be the reason why I feel so strongly about these games

Platinum didn't gently caress around with movesets

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Made it through the Elite Four this morning! I got wrecked by the Steel team, but then I retried with Steel being last and managed to pull through!

My team:

Kelsey the Primarina
I adored him as a Brionne with how absolutely precious his animations were. Solid and adorable team member.

Rolldolph the Sandslash
I got him in a Wonder Trade in Sun. Jolly, great IVs and a bunch of egg moves. I fully EV trained him before bringing him over at level 1. He was definitely an MVP on this team. Highest level all the way through due to the trading boost, as well as the Pokemon Refresh boost. He was always finishing battles with earthquakes, so then I would need to clean him up and give him a treat. He was the first mon to get to 5 hearts. Rolly is a very good boy.

Sunny the Raichu
Modest, level 1 Pichu traded over. Also fully EV trained and a star player. Sunny is a very cute and good boy.

Teddy the Bewear
This one was an egg I traded over. He hatched in front of the Training School with Ice Punch as an egg move, though in retrospect, I really should have given him Fire Punch. Such a cutie, and his Brick Break saved my butt on many occasions.

Flora the Shiinotic
Also hatched at the Training School, she didn't have a proper attack until level 15, and was still pretty lacklustre until she got Mega Drain. She was definitely the weakest and lowest level member of the team, but Giga Drain and Spore definitely came in handy sometimes.

Simon the Totem Araquanid
I really need to change his name to something more menacing and badass. Good movepool and I love how huge he is. A good boy.

Now it's time for the post game and filling out the pokedex.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Totem Mimikyu's Beautiful Mind room is still creepy as gently caress

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Simon is unironically a badass name for a bigass water spider

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Can you move Totem-sized mons to regular Sun/Moon without breaking anything?

I'm asking because my dumb rear end forgot that Rare Kitchen level ups don't give you moves you'd normally learn, so my Totem Marowak missed out on Shadow Bone. :downs:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Haifisch posted:

Can you move Totem-sized mons to regular Sun/Moon without breaking anything?

I'm asking because my dumb rear end forgot that Rare Kitchen level ups don't give you moves you'd normally learn, so my Totem Marowak missed out on Shadow Bone. :downs:

Only if the Totem existed in Sun/Moon already. So no for Marowak.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Goddammit.

At least it has enough other good moves to still be worth using in the meantime.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

With how ORAS didn't bother with the Battle Frontier, I'd assume that any DP remakes would be more focused on the original pair of games than on anything added in Platinum.

Although the biggest issues with DP were the atrocious battle/surf speeds and the lack of fire types. The former would be an auto-fix in a remake. The latter, probably not so much given how they didn't bother fixing stuff like the level curve in HGSS. Gotta stay faithful to the original even when the original had really dumb and unfun design decisions, after all.

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep the Platinum pokedex, if absolutely nothing else. Even ORAS updated its pokedex to accommodate cross-gen evolutions.

Probably still keep the old DP teams, though. Keeping Volkner & Flint's weird teams in particular feels like a very gamefreak thing to do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rannum posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep the Platinum pokedex, if absolutely nothing else. Even ORAS updated its pokedex to accommodate cross-gen evolutions.

Probably still keep the old DP teams, though. Keeping Volkner & Flint's weird teams in particular feels like a very gamefreak thing to do.

Volkner's team made sense because he didn't really enjoy being a Gym Leader and wanted to fight the Elite Four.

Flint has a pair thing going with Volkner so it makes sense there too?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
"Here's some advice you didn't ask for!"

It's not any less annoying that you steal my map just because you call it out, Rotom.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Classtoise posted:

"Here's some advice you didn't ask for!"

It's not any less annoying that you steal my map just because you call it out, Rotom.

It genuinely makes me annoyed I bothered to befriend him. I really don't want his advice, I don't even use the map but it's irritating to have it constantly pop up. Shut up, Clippy.

Also I just did the Totem Togedemaru match and holy poo poo did that not go as planned. I thought Firium-Z would give me an easy victory, so I equipped it on my Torracat. I didn't see Spiky Shield coming so that did nothing, though it would've done very little regardless with that +2 Defense Aura. So I panicked, lost that and my Araquanid (who did very good damage with Bubble Beam, giving me the idea of just using Water Vortex next time, having accepted defeat already). With nothing that could take a Steel type on, I sent...my Ditto. Who I had never trained and was there purely for filler.

Turns out Totem Togedemaru's greatest counter is Totem Togedemaru. Due to the really exploitable AI, I could alternate Spiky Shield turns so Totem Togedemaru would hurt himself, while in my turns I just attacked his ally Skarmory instead. Said ally couldn't do more than 2-3 damage too. It became a very slow match that was completely in my favour, and which I ultimately won after a Lemonade and burning through all of Ditto's copied PP.

That was the weirdest battle I've had and it saddens me that I can't save replays here because I would've saved that one for posterity. I did save this, though!

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 23, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got really thrown for a loop (in as positive a way as possible) by Hau's team of five (5!) pokemon at Malie. Please tell me this trend continues with the Kahunas and later bosses. While I do understand why they limit random trainers to very low amounts of mons, I never did understand why they suddenly at gen 6 though that bosses having full or close to full teams was bad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7LbFaCSgA

They put out a story trailer for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. It's way more in depth than the other ones.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Is Guzma's Masquerain a demon? Not just a strong pokemon, but an actual demon from hell? Jesus, that was a nightmare.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
how do you get the lighthouse gate to open on the second island? is it part of the story or do you have to go there a specific time? I see the fortieth totem sticker right there out of my reach taunting me :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You need the Machamp Pokeride first. Go to the bit in Diglett Tunnel that has a boulder, and you can eventually reach the lighthouse from there.

The fence between the lighthouse and the city is just there to taunt you.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Haifisch posted:

You need the Machamp Pokeride first. Go to the bit in Diglett Tunnel that has a boulder, and you can eventually reach the lighthouse from there.

The fence between the lighthouse and the city is just there to taunt you.

haha thats just cruel. on the mini-map it even looks like a connected path which I thought would open up later. thanks

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Is Guzma's Masquerain a demon? Not just a strong pokemon, but an actual demon from hell? Jesus, that was a nightmare.

I always thought Masquerain was a joke mon. Then I had my entire team destroyed by that horrible monster.

I had to change my team (added Totem Salazzle) to win...and even there it took several sacrifices. One Air Cutter or Bug Buzz could take down nearly anyone in my team, and two definitely did it for everyone.

He really does beat you down, and beat you down, and never lets up.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Masquerain did get a stat buff in Gen 7, which also contributes to it being a lot more of a threat. Guzma doesn't train one for no reason.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

this but his Golisopod

I should really change my team up so that I don't have 5 mons that are either weak to water or bug

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TeenageArchipelago posted:

this but his Golisopod

I should really change my team up so that I don't have 5 mons that are either weak to water or bug
The secret to Golisopod is to use special attacks against it.

Also not to have 5 mons weak to water and/or bug.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why is the totem pokemon that's the strongest against my team have a long unskippable cutscene ugh

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Totem Lurantis almost kicked my loving rear end. I'm enjoying this.

EDIT: Also my monofairy run is going well! I haven't run into anything that specifically hard against the fairy composition of my team yet, but of course the Mawile I imported has a lot of good resistances. I think Salazzle might be my biggest threat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can this totem pokemon stop making me flinch for five seconds holy poo poo

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pros/cons to grinding up cash to buy the lurantis shorts while still on island two
Cons: but why
Pros: FASHION

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Totem Lurantis almost kicked my loving rear end. I'm enjoying this.

EDIT: Also my monofairy run is going well! I haven't run into anything that specifically hard against the fairy composition of my team yet, but of course the Mawile I imported has a lot of good resistances. I think Salazzle might be my biggest threat.

I stole Totem Lurantis' Power Herb, then Dartrix just ended it with a couple of Plucks.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The secret to Golisopod is to use special attacks against it.

Also not to have 5 mons weak to water and/or bug.
I thought the secret was to use something that can do half its health in one hit and is faster than it.

That way its ability automatically kicks in when you hit it and it never gets a hit off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The trick turned out to be to jam Roto Boosts down the throat of my only pokemon who wouldn't get instantly owned by the totem

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

The trick turned out to be to jam Roto Boosts down the throat of my only pokemon who wouldn't get instantly owned by the totem
I kept trying to fire fang it but the ally kept raising it's defense and then it would heal, so I swapped out Mawile for A-Vulpix and one-shot it with Frost Breath.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My plans for Guzma's Golisopod eventually boiled down to:

Moon: "Fair enough, you go first. *clears throat* Beak Blast". Saying that, first time I fought him I was completely unprepared (had just come down from the Electric trial with a team full of grass and ground types and hadn't realised going into Malie Garden would trigger the first Guzma fight. That was thrilling.

Sun: Mirror match. Somehow Bug Bertha always outsped him.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 23, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

jolie the jolteon killed him in one shot with discharge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

rannum posted:

hey, remember when FRLG prevented you from getting any gen 2/3 pokemon before you got the national dex, even going so far as to prevent pokemon like golbat from evolving?
good times.