Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How good is content discovery/aggregation among the various streaming boxes now? As in if I had a Prime, Hulu, and Netflix accounts, if I searched for tv show x or movie y at the “home/dashboard” screen are these boxes smart and fast enough to stream from whatever sources provide it for free, and failing that give me a one(ish) button to purchase it from wherever for instant streaming?

I’ve never used a streaming box or had a tv in a while but I vaguely remember needing to search in the Netflix app on Roku to find something on Netflix and so on.

I also noticed that the newest season of Mr Robot is on iTunes. Is it safe to assume that tv shows are gonna be available for purchase (to stream) immediately nowadays from iTunes/amazon etc in tyool 2017 or is it still a crapshoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone tried Philo yet? Just heard about it on Cordkillers, and this might be one to try. No sports or broadcast networks but a lot of other channels for $16 or $20. Here's what I got from their website:

37 Channels - $16

A&E

AMC

Animal Planet

AXS TV

BBC America

BBC World News

BET

Cheddar

CMT

Comedy Central

Discovery

DIY

Food Network

FYI

GSN

HGTV

History Channel

IFC

ID

Lifetime

Lifetime Movies

MTV

MTV 2

Nick

Nick Jr.

OWN

SCI

Spike

Sundance TV

Teen Nick

TLC

Travel Channel

TV Land

Velocity

VH-1

Viceland

WE

46 Channels - $20

All above plus:

AHC

BET*Her

Cooking Channel

Destination America

Discovery Family

Discovery Life

Logo

MTV LIVE

Nick Toons

Save Episodes for 30 Days

Stream in HD on 3 devices at once

Watch on Roku, iOS, Android Chrome, Web

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got an email from Vue today saying that they are raising my rate $10/mo with no new channels, so I am planning on switching to something else. How is Sling these days? It seems to be my cheapest option while keeping the Fox Sports RSN that I watch like 90% of the time.

Is there any difference in stream quality amongst all the different options in the market now? Or is everything pretty comparable?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I got an email from Vue today saying that they are raising my rate $10/mo with no new channels, so I am planning on switching to something else. How is Sling these days? It seems to be my cheapest option while keeping the Fox Sports RSN that I watch like 90% of the time.

Is there any difference in stream quality amongst all the different options in the market now? Or is everything pretty comparable?

That's crazy. Did they have any sort of justification?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's crazy. Did they have any sort of justification?

This is something they announced they were doing months ago. It's happening in a rolling fashion across markets.

The justification is they're removing the "SLIM" packages, so if you happen to be in an area that still can't get locals in PSVue, welp sucks to be you. I'm lucky in that I got ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW live, but if I got the no-choice price hike I'd be looking too. As it is, I'll be looking for a smaller cheaper service outside of college football season. PSVue is the best for football, but outside that there's really no advantage for me since I don't use the DVR very much.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How is Sling these days? It seems to be my cheapest option while keeping the Fox Sports RSN that I watch like 90% of the time.

Personally, I've had issues streaming Sling at times when I've tried it. If you don't care about ESPN, then the Blue package is only $25 (if you add the additional sports I think that's another $5 or $10)

HuluTV has EPSNs and FS1 and FS2 (not sure about regionals) for $40

DriecTV has ESPN, ESPN2 and FS1(no RSNs) for $35. To add FS2 (and RSN) is $60 package.

All three of these I believe stream at 720p @ 60fps. I'm not sure of the compression but I imagine they're all around 2.5-3 MB/s

FuboTV may be an option if you want sports, but there's no EPSN channels at all. $20 base.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there a website or service where you can sever the channels you need and it’ll spit out the streaming service that delivers those?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Is there a website or service where you can sever the channels you need and it’ll spit out the streaming service that delivers those?

Not that I'm aware of.

I can't imagine that would be in any way profitable for streaming providers (yet). Most of the popular channels are only offered as bundles for licensing. For instance, if you want the ESPN channels, you have to take the Disney channels as well and vice versa.

It would also have the unintended side effect of driving a lot of the smaller, more niche channels out of existence. But I have seen some smaller channels that are website or YouTube only show up in Pluto.tv, so I imagine we're still transitioning on how entertainment is monetized and delivered.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What OP's wanting is a site where you say "I want x, y, & z" and the site spits back "Those are available on services A, B, C" giving you packages and prices.

Not that you're wrong about a la carte channels and the knock on effects, that just wasn't the question.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thwomp posted:

This is the only thing like that I've seen so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LastInLine posted:

What OP's wanting is a site where you say "I want x, y, & z" and the site spits back "Those are available on services A, B, C" giving you packages and prices.

Not that you're wrong about a la carte channels and the knock on effects, that just wasn't the question.

Yep. MASSIVELY misunderstood what was being asked.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sounds like an idea for a new startup.

“CBLSRCH - Expedia for Cable Television.”

Anyone wanna get internet rich and found a startup with me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sounds like an idea for a new startup.

“CBLSRCH - Expedia for Cable Television.”

Anyone wanna get internet rich and found a startup with me.

CABLR, and it's not a site it's an app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Pfft. It's a site with an API.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LastInLine posted:

With a top-screen ad banner and permissions that make it very clear that your data is for sale.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

bull3964 posted:

Pfft. It's a site with an API.

TheScott2K posted:

With a top-screen ad banner and permissions that make it very clear that your data is for sale.

Are you guys serious here because I am failing to find what you guys are talking about on Google. The only thing I can actually find is cablr.cab which looks like yet another Uber-like service.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you guys serious here because I am failing to find what you guys are talking about on Google. The only thing I can actually find is cablr.cab which looks like yet another Uber-like service.

We are not serious, we're riffing on SV tropes.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I want to cancel my $200/mo cable service, keep the internet, and buy either a couple of Roku or Amazon sticks for my TVs. I do have Amazon prime. What are the advantages and disadvantages or differences between the two?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flavor Truck posted:

I want to cancel my $200/mo cable service, keep the internet, and buy either a couple of Roku or Amazon sticks for my TVs. I do have Amazon prime. What are the advantages and disadvantages or differences between the two?

I can't say for the Roku, but don't get the FireTV stick. If you want to go with Amazon Fire, get the full size version. When I was setting up my parents' when they moved to DirectTV NOW, the stick just couldn't keep up with the streaming. Tons of freezing. Got the FireTV 4K and smooth sailing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Roku sticks are great. Just upgraded my 2016 stick in my bedroom to a new Streaming Stick+ for that sweet, sweet auto-adjust display refresh rate setting (only available on Roku OS 8 on models that support 4k, but as long as the model supports 4k the feature works for 1080p too). I also like that the remote can control TV power/volume now.

It's still on a black friday sale for $48 at Amazon/Best Buy, too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

astral posted:

The Roku sticks are great. Just upgraded my 2016 stick in my bedroom to a new Streaming Stick+ for that sweet, sweet auto-adjust display refresh rate setting (only available on Roku OS 8 on models that support 4k, but as long as the model supports 4k the feature works for 1080p too). I also like that the remote can control TV power/volume now.

It's still on a black friday sale for $48 at Amazon/Best Buy, too.

Also recommending the Roku Streaming Stick+. Upgraded my parents' Roku Streaming Stick 3600R to that since they got a new 4K TV. They've used the 3600R mostly for Plex and Netflix and it's by far the best "bang for your buck" streaming device. Supports an assload of services, and has Dolby/DTS audio passthrough from content served via Plex without issue as well (have read in the past FireTV devices have had issues with DTS audio).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

This is something they announced they were doing months ago. It's happening in a rolling fashion across markets.

The justification is they're removing the "SLIM" packages, so if you happen to be in an area that still can't get locals in PSVue, welp sucks to be you. I'm lucky in that I got ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW live, but if I got the no-choice price hike I'd be looking too. As it is, I'll be looking for a smaller cheaper service outside of college football season. PSVue is the best for football, but outside that there's really no advantage for me since I don't use the DVR very much.

Personally, I've had issues streaming Sling at times when I've tried it. If you don't care about ESPN, then the Blue package is only $25 (if you add the additional sports I think that's another $5 or $10)

HuluTV has EPSNs and FS1 and FS2 (not sure about regionals) for $40

DriecTV has ESPN, ESPN2 and FS1(no RSNs) for $35. To add FS2 (and RSN) is $60 package.

All three of these I believe stream at 720p @ 60fps. I'm not sure of the compression but I imagine they're all around 2.5-3 MB/s

FuboTV may be an option if you want sports, but there's no EPSN channels at all. $20 base.

Thanks for this. My trial with Sling has been pretty smooth and I oddly like having international cheap options, so I will probably stick with them. Fubo does seem like a good backup option in case Sling starts getting lovely.

One of the India news stations has a segment where two guys full on yell at each other over politics. I have no idea what the issue is but it is good fun to watch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 27, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I can't say for the Roku, but don't get the FireTV stick. If you want to go with Amazon Fire, get the full size version. When I was setting up my parents' when they moved to DirectTV NOW, the stick just couldn't keep up with the streaming. Tons of freezing. Got the FireTV 4K and smooth sailing.

I have an OG firestick that is drat near unusable. The thing is just so slow that launching Netflix or firing up an Amazon stream is painful. Maybe this was fixed in later generations, I don't know. I have a full size version that works incredibly well though. I recommend running an Ethernet cable to it.

I really wish YoutubeTV had an interface for the FireTV. I know Google and Amazon are at odds and Google wants to sell you a Chromecast and other Google media, but native FireTV support with a guide would just be so nice. I don't like having to pick up my phone, unlock it, and go into the YouTube TV app to change the channel, it should just be a button press in my Fire remote.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

That's close but appears out of date now.

Recode just published this piece, which while less elegant than I'm looking for, communicates more information than the WP article did.

So for instance, my wife needs Hallmark, Freeform, and Food network. According to recode's site, all three are available from DirecTV Now and SlingTV (and will still show the other services which only have two of the three).

It does note that with SlingTV you'll have to add an extra package but unhelpfully can't tell you exactly how much ($5).

Same goes for if I add Cooking Channel and it spits out a $50-96 for DirecTV Now.

Still, it works at least to show you where you can get all your must-have channels together.

Ideally, it'd be great to have a form to enter your must-have channels/shows plus other features you're interested in like DVR or VOD in addition to the device type you'd be accessing these services from and just have it spit out SlingTV Blue for $40 a month.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 29, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also don't forget to price out what individual seasons for shows may be too. It doesn't make sense to get a package that's an extra $5/month for one show since owning the season will almost certainly cost less than paying for that package for the duration of the season.

I went down to a skinny package with FiOS that cut out a few stations where I had shows I was watching, but saving $15/month meant I could just own those shows for less (and in much higher quality.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Also don't forget to price out what individual seasons for shows may be too. It doesn't make sense to get a package that's an extra $5/month for one show since owning the season will almost certainly cost less than paying for that package for the duration of the season.

I went down to a skinny package with FiOS that cut out a few stations where I had shows I was watching, but saving $15/month meant I could just own those shows for less (and in much higher quality.)

With HBO and Starz, I wait until the current season is done and then binge on it so I only pay the 1 month cost. So, $15 to watch Westworld, and $8 to watch Ash vs. Evil Dead.

I'll probably end up buying Westworld S2 (and S1 to build out the library), since that's a show that definitely rewards re-watching.

I do agree with your strategy. I only carry a sub for PSVue when it's college football season. I drop Vue altogether outside of that, so it's definitely more economical for me to buy seasons of The Expanse.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 29, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just dropped Sling after about 3 weeks. No local channels for sports coupled with the overlap in channels while having Orange + Blue eventually got on my nerves. Giving DirecTV Now a shot. I'll give PS Vue a shot if I don't like it, no Viacom was the deciding choice between them for me.

I also had a lot of buffering issues with Sling where I'd have to pick the channel again to get it to work. For real though, it felt like scrolling through 20 different channels over and over again with the way the guide works and the packages are structured.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I didn’t even last past the free 7 day period with Sling. I ended up going back to PS Vue.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

All of them lose me because I cannot get local channels.

That would be something that brings me in so quickly. Even CBS All Access cannot give me live local.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why not use an antenna?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why not use an antenna?

Was going to ask the same thing. Just grab something from the nearest Best Buy, problem solved.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Unless you live in an area where TV signals can be hard to get.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Tv signals are hard to get (about an hour and a half away from the nearest stations) and I am completely surrounded by large trees.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Tv signals are hard to get (about an hour and a half away from the nearest stations) and I am completely surrounded by large trees.

Sounds awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Dumb question but does anyone know of like a tiny LCD clock that's easy to stick on a flat surface inside an entertainment center/TV stand? Jumped on PS Vue earlier this month, and the glowing clock on the old STB is literally the only thing I miss about having cable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

Dumb question but does anyone know of like a tiny LCD clock that's easy to stick on a flat surface inside an entertainment center/TV stand? Jumped on PS Vue earlier this month, and the glowing clock on the old STB is literally the only thing I miss about having cable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=lcd+clock

?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Can you install one outside?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oooh they're loving with them

https://twitter.com/CNETNews/status/938138159187156996

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wow. Shots loving fired.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In the end, only the Shield will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU