Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
looks pretty cool inside of there. hope my documetnsd are ok when i put itback together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bobbilljim posted:

looks pretty cool inside of there.

self-esteem served up on a silver platter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
try sticking the magnets to the side of your CRT monitor

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

craftpost: old hd platters make good coasters, buy some sticky-back velvet for the back and cut to fit.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

craftpost: old hd platters make good coasters, buy some sticky-back velvet for the back and cut to fit.

I feel like they wouldn't do a good job of absorbing moisture from sweating glasses

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

akadajet posted:

I feel like they wouldn't do a good job of absorbing moisture from sweating glasses

uhhh the point of coasters is to look cool and be icebreakers not "absorbing moisture"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

uhhh the point of coasters is to look cool and be icebreakers not "absorbing moisture"

Then hard disk platters fail on both counts.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm wearing these rn /shakes head coquettishly

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i remember back in the early-2000s case modding scene a few crazy bastards actually managed to successfully put a window in their drives. remove the lid, cut out a chunk, glue in a piece of plexiglass, screw it all back together. the drives still worked, but as i recall when drives got to be around 120GB or larger poo poo was too sensitive to do this anymore

then western digital released a 10K RPM raptor drive with a window in it

:pcgaming: :rice: :pcgaming:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SO DEMANDING posted:

i remember back in the early-2000s case modding scene a few crazy bastards actually managed to successfully put a window in their drives. remove the lid, cut out a chunk, glue in a piece of plexiglass, screw it all back together. the drives still worked, but as i recall when drives got to be around 120GB or larger poo poo was too sensitive to do this anymore

Finally: a mod dumber than the case-window.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

I bet these people hate ssds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

if you put some activity leds on the ssd they would be set

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SO DEMANDING posted:

there was actually an SH/SC thread way back when where someone did this, think i saved it somewhere. may post pics when i get home

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm not sure what's funnier: the thought of someone dremeling a hole in the drive case and filling it with dust, or the thought of someone figuring pure nitric acid would etch through the drive too fast and pouring some water into the container to make it go more slowly

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

flakeloaf posted:

i'm not sure what's funnier: the thought of someone dremeling a hole in the drive case and filling it with dust, or the thought of someone figuring pure nitric acid would etch through the drive too fast and pouring some water into the container to make it go more slowly

pretty sure they pulled off the case before dremeling a hole into it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

stymie?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hard drives are under vacuum, not just for dust. the outer edge of a 10k disk moves at a significant fraction of the speed of sound. turbulence is a real problem at that speed

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

The Management posted:

hard drives are under vacuum, not just for dust. the outer edge of a 10k disk moves at a significant fraction of the speed of sound. turbulence is a real problem at that speed

it depends on the drive. a lot of them have a little vent in them.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i remember reading about how to do this

if i recall step one was doing this in your bathroom after running a hot shower to get the dust out of the air.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

and now they've got drives filled with helium! :eyepop:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

take apart your posting rig next op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

what? no they're not. manufacturers started producing helium-filled drives a while back because helium is less dense and therefore resulted in less drag than normal air.

if i remember right having air in there is necessary because modern drive design assumes the air movement from the spinning platters will impart a certain amount of lift to the heads.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Lightbulb Out posted:

scott mueller’s upgrading and repairing PCs had a little story about how the computers at the Mauna Kea observatory needed special hermetically sealed drives because commodity drives didn’t work at high altitude

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

i have literally done this with a piece of poo poo hard drive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Silver Alicorn posted:

scott mueller’s upgrading and repairing PCs had a little story about how the computers at the Mauna Kea observatory needed special hermetically sealed drives because commodity drives didn’t work at high altitude

hmm, it'd be nice if Mueller could upgrade and repair our government

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

indigi posted:

this also involves raising a piece of shiny metal to an extreme height, then lowering it again

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

im just going to put sticky rubber feet on them i think. might take one to work

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there was actually an SH/SC thread way back when where someone did this, think i saved it somewhere. may post pics when i get home

bam, found it:

there's no year on the post dates but the file is dated 2002

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

:wow:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i no joke had a customer whose external hard drive failed bring it in for data recovery

he brought in the drive casing (empty), another drive of the same sort as was in it as a parts donor, and a pair of platters in a paper CD sleeve

i directed him to drivesavers

edit: i wrote it down at the time

quote:

We're a repair shop (and refurbisher and e-waste recycler, but those don't matter here) in the Bay Area.

Guy comes in, tells us (check-in/showroom sales folks; I'm not a tech mostly because I'm the vintage stereo/salvage guy) that he has a problem but he's not sure he has the words to describe it, and sets a tote bag on the counter.

He pulls out an older WD external hard drive casing, sans drive, and tells us that he plugged a 12-volt AC adapter into it and it stopped working, and wants to know if we can help him recover his data. He says that his friend tried to help him out and wasn't able to do so.

He then pulls out, in the following order:
- Two 750GB WD Green hard drives
- A hard drive PCB.
- Two hard drive platters in a paper CD sleeve

I shuddered and managed to keep myself from visibly grimacing (I think) and told him to be as gentle as he possibly could, and gave him a DriveSavers brochure. (They're just a few miles north of here, thankfully.) I have no goddamn clue if they can recover anything from a pair of goddamn bare platters clunking around in an envelope, but he'd better pray to whatever powers he believes in that they're recoverable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bam, found it:

wow that's buckwild

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

indigi posted:

flakeloaf posted:

this also involves raising a piece of shiny metal to an extreme height, then lowering it again

:yeah: Nice!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Its peanut butter jelly time

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

i no joke had a customer whose external hard drive failed bring it in for data recovery

he brought in the drive casing (empty), another drive of the same sort as was in it as a parts donor, and a pair of platters in a paper CD sleeve

i directed him to drivesavers

edit: i wrote it down at the time

haha thought it sounded like you when i read this on Reddit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trap(s) sprung

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

flakeloaf posted:

hahah holy poo poo

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

quote:

powerpuff girls christmas lights i had laying around.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bam, found it:

[H]ard|OCP :awesome:

• Locked thread