Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

Kia had updated the trim spreadsheet on their website and I sure hope the person laying it out just had their head up their rear end because there are some items loving with me. They have the LSD as being standard on the GT2 trim, optional on the base GT, and unavailable entirely on the GT1. Same goes for the Sunset Yellow paint color I wanted.

It looks like the optional LSD on the base GT is with the Sunset yellow ones which is going to be limited edition run. Only 400 available in the US.

Cant say i'm not disappointed in that . A gt with LSD would have been a great value.

CAR COMPANIES :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

It looks like the optional LSD on the base GT is with the Sunset yellow ones which is going to be limited edition run. Only 400 available in the US.

Cant say i'm not disappointed in that . A gt with LSD would have been a great value.

CAR COMPANIES :argh:

Oof, now I have to ask myself if I'd rather have an LSD or a sunroof and upgraded speaker system. Do you have any information on this limited run? I'm not seeing results on google.

Edit: yeah confirmed on the build page, only on Base GT but adds LSD and all the nanny driving assists from the GT2, bringing it to $2k under the cost of a GT1.

Build page here: https://www.kia.com/us/en/build/stinger/2018/trims

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 21, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I haven't been following the Stinger so closely as to know the trims, and I can't guess how GT, GT1, and GT2 rank.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't been following the Stinger so closely as to know the trims, and I can't guess how GT, GT1, and GT2 rank.

They probably wanted to call them "GT1," "GT2," and "GT3" but the last one was probably trademarked, and "GT0" is a homograph of another trademark.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

davebo posted:

Kia had updated the trim spreadsheet on their website and I sure hope the person laying it out just had their head up their rear end because there are some items loving with me. They have the LSD as being standard on the GT2 trim, optional on the base GT, and unavailable entirely on the GT1. Same goes for the Sunset Yellow paint color I wanted.

That sounds like the info they gave us, and you’re right it’s a really odd decision.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
They should have done a fun edition that has the yellow paint, LSD and sunroof, then a stuffy old man edition that has the driving assists and nappa leather, then the top trim with everything.

And kimbo there are 5 trims total, 2.0t base, 2.0 premium, then with the ttV6 are GT, GT1 then GT2 is top trim.

Edit: vv yeah twin turbo 3.3L V6

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 22, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Wait. The stinger you bozos have been glorifying is a V6?!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Wait. The stinger you bozos have been glorifying is a V6?!

Two cylinders closer to greatness than a four-banger.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Two cylinders closer to greatness than a four-banger.

I suppose.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

I suppose.

Out of curiosity what upsets you about a twin turbo V6? Is it just the sound? Or are you unsatisfied with the performance of the Stinger?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The meme from the movie tho

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity what upsets you about a twin turbo V6? Is it just the sound? Or are you unsatisfied with the performance of the Stinger?
Nothing. I just expected a car getting this much hype to have more pistons than my truck. Even if it certainly won't have more power or torque than my 3.5l EB.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

davebo posted:

Oof, now I have to ask myself if I'd rather have an LSD or a sunroof and upgraded speaker system. Do you have any information on this limited run? I'm not seeing results on google.

Edit: yeah confirmed on the build page, only on Base GT but adds LSD and all the nanny driving assists from the GT2, bringing it to $2k under the cost of a GT1.

Build page here: https://www.kia.com/us/en/build/stinger/2018/trims

You can also get Sunset yellow as a RWD GT2 spec car which has LSD, Moonroof, premium audio and HUD.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Nothing. I just expected a car getting this much hype to have more pistons than my truck. Even if it certainly won't have more power or torque than my 3.5l EB.

Kia built the perfect car for the Internet Car Guy. Of course it remains to be seen if the Internet Car Guys will buy the Stinger.

except for AI, they won’t, claiming to wait for depreciation, and then they’ll wonder why Kia didn’t built a second-gen Stinger

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, a truck and a sport sedan are almost indistinguishable.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Godzilla07 posted:

Kia built the perfect car for the Internet Car Guy. Of course it remains to be seen if the Internet Car Guys will buy the Stinger.

except for AI, they won’t, claiming to wait for depreciation, and then they’ll wonder why Kia didn’t built a second-gen Stinger

The thing is they also made a great car for normal people in the snowbelt with the 2.0T AWD Stinger. Up until now the only options that were in that market were the Legacy, Charger AWD or a Fusion AWD.

Its not like the Chevy SS where they only made the performance model. Kia is expecting about a 65/35 split in sales between 2.0T and 3.3TT models.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
LSD isnt terrible to add later on for a higher quality one. So not end of the world. Stock probably uses braking to simulate a lsd.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ilkhan posted:

Did you just emerge from a cave? The new Ford GT supercar is a V6EB, buddy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Did you just emerge from a cave? The new Ford GT supercar is a V6EB, buddy.
(So is the one in my truck)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

(So is the one in my truck)

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, a truck and a [supercar] are almost indistinguishable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Godzilla07 posted:

No 6MT option though right? Internet car guys bullied me into learning how to drive stick and buying a manual car, and now when I see cars like the Stinger all I can do is say stuff like "only autotragic? HEH, no thanks."

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ilkhan posted:

It’s got more turbos than your truck at least.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kill me now posted:

The thing is they also made a great car for normal people in the snowbelt with the 2.0T AWD Stinger. Up until now the only options that were in that market were the Legacy, Charger AWD or a Fusion AWD.

Its not like the Chevy SS where they only made the performance model. Kia is expecting about a 65/35 split in sales between 2.0T and 3.3TT models.

Everyone forgets the Buick Lacrosse. :effort:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Throatwarbler posted:

Which is a pretty good, underappreciated car. I'm 8 months into mine and the only thing I dislike at this point is the lovely OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS in case you were wondering).

I've been poking around on the Stinger configurator - I can't build the one I want *sad trombone*

(2.0T AWD premium in yellow)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm going to say this with the usual blah blah sedan, blah blah blah business case, blah blah blah wouldn't make a difference caveats we're all well familiar with:

The current TLX with AWD and a V6 would be pretty darn sweet with a 6-speed option.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Throatwarbler posted:

It’s not really in any way shape or form a sporty vehicle though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I saw the Stinger at the local dealership today. It looks as good in real life as in the pictures. It was a red base 2.0 with sunroof. Price? $70000. Starts at around $50000 for the cheapest diesel, and ends at close to $100000 (1,050,000 NOK) for the V6 :( Norway is insane.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Can't you get good incentives on EVs? How does that $100k compare to a Model S?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

A Model S P100D is around $10K more expensive at 1,1 M NOK. There were awesome incentives for buying all EVs so a fully loaded Model S P85, when it was new, cost $75K. But next year comes a price hike on some EVs. I think the Leaf or somesuch becomes $4K more expensive.

We have insane one-time taxes on cars. The exhibited Stinger was around $44K before the $28K state one-time tax. Some other 1,6l CUV hybrid Kia (can't remember the model) had $260 in taxes out of its $25 K total price. It's got a lot to do with the car's power, weight and how much crap comes out the tail pipe.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kill me now posted:

It’s not really in any way shape or form a sporty vehicle though.

One could reasonably argue the same about the Fusion, Charger, and Legacy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I saw the Stinger at the local dealership today. It looks as good in real life as in the pictures. It was a red base 2.0 with sunroof. Price? $70000. Starts at around $50000 for the cheapest diesel, and ends at close to $100000 (1,050,000 NOK) for the V6 :( Norway is insane.

They don't even sell the 2.0t model in red here. I posted the configuration page yesterday and was talking about how yellow could only be had in certain configurations. And also red interior could only be had with the nappa leather on the top trim. Later last night they removed yellow entirely, and now you can get non-nappa red leather on the GT1 trim but only on silver or black cars. They're just constantly adding and removing stuff from the configurator and it's infuriating for anyone actually interested in buying one. It was a great move hiring Germans to design the cars but maybe now they need some to run the fuckin' company for them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

prom candy posted:

No 6MT option though right? Internet car guys bullied me into learning how to drive stick and buying a manual car, and now when I see cars like the Stinger all I can do is say stuff like "only autotragic? HEH, no thanks."

Its platform-mate the Genesis G70 will apparently be available with a 6MT

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If it's 6MT and AWD, it's going on the list o' considerations very quickly indeed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It will also be like 200+lbs lighter.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Is the 0-60 time for the new Tesla roadster actually achievable? I mean forget the fact that it's probably vaporware and will not get built before 2025 but if a F1 car can do it in 1.7 seconds with super sticky race rubber is there any possibility of a road car with say 300 wide tyres being only 0.2 sec off that?

I saw a YouTube a while back that went into the physics of max acceleration by working out max decellaration and coefficients of friction etc... From what I recall it suggested that anything under 2 secs was unlikely without a significant change in tyre properties.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aargh posted:

Is the 0-60 time for the new Tesla roadster actually achievable? I mean forget the fact that it's probably vaporware and will not get built before 2025 but if a F1 car can do it in 1.7 seconds with super sticky race rubber is there any possibility of a road car with say 300 wide tyres being only 0.2 sec off that?

I saw a YouTube a while back that went into the physics of max acceleration by working out max decellaration and coefficients of friction etc... From what I recall it suggested that anything under 2 secs was unlikely without a significant change in tyre properties.

It's absolutely possible. The current model S P100Ddoes it in 2.3 seconds. Rallycross cars do it in 1.9 seconds.

It's probably at the limit of a street tire, and probably won't do it too many times on a single set of tires, but it's not impossible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The concept was wearing Pilot Sport Cup 2s, which are basically “street” tires. I would not want to daily a car wearing those in the rain, for example.

Not a knock; It’s what’s required to get to numbers like what Tesla is claiming. They’re just hyper-aggressive tires for the street.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Aargh posted:

It's funny you mention that vid because Jason just put up a new one on this exact thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uca_jNh2M4

Basically, it depends on if they are using rollout and if the tires are specifically made for that car to do that thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The concept was wearing Pilot Sport Cup 2s, which are basically “street” tires. I would not want to daily a car wearing those in the rain, for example.

Not a knock; It’s what’s required to get to numbers like what Tesla is claiming. They’re just hyper-aggressive tires for the street.

Should be fine in the rain. They'd be pretty wasted on the street though, unless you're 2 fast 2 furious you'll be nowhere near the limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I DD a Focus RS that wears Cup 2s in the summer, and they are very capable in the rain. You would only have problems hitting standing water at significant speed. I've never felt unsafe or not in control (except for that one time last year where it snowed in May. That was sketchy).

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Should be fine in the rain. They'd be pretty wasted on the street though, unless you're 2 fast 2 furious you'll be nowhere near the limits.

They're insane. I take corners like a grandma on my winter tires because I'm so used to taking corners at speeds that would put my car in a wall with normal tires and I don't have a feel for the limits. I've only ever gotten the back tires out once and that took a hell of a lot of doing.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 23, 2017