Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

https://b.doko.moe/jtebfk.webm

star driver is about good horny teens and from what it sounds like captain earth is only the horny teens part???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can't think of anyone in Captain Earth I loved as much as Kanako "Nice Boat" Watanabe.

Actually that goes for a surprising number of things I've watched.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Caphi posted:

I can't think of anyone in Captain Earth I loved as much as Kanako "Nice Boat" Watanabe.

Actually that goes for a surprising number of things I've watched.

Yeah she's really good and cool and should have gotten a rematch fight

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Erg posted:

star driver is about good horny teens and from what it sounds like captain earth is only the horny teens part???

Star driver always kind of had the problem that takuto could never actually fail in any episode because the moment he does the badguys INSTANTLY win and the shows over really.

Captain earth attempted to address the invincible protagonist problem but the setup still meant that if he ever loses the world instantly ends so nobody could ever fail, so instead the vast majority of the time they get saved by stupid contrivance and you get none of the fun of takuto pulling a bullshit win out of his rear end every time.

It culminates in possibly the most infuriating bit of the series when non-spoilers daichi fights the badguy and the shows first OP kicks in and he wins a really desperate fight with earth engine getting loving wrecked as the fight goes on.

Except that carries literally no weight because earth engine got wrecked in literally every other fight.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Artum posted:

Star driver always kind of had the problem that takuto could never actually fail in any episode because the moment he does the badguys INSTANTLY win and the shows over really.

Star Driver always had the feeling of being as much about the other kids as Takuto, even outside of the other two "main" characters. It's by the Utena director so that's probably why.

Somehow Adult Bank still seemed like it got more than the other wings. Kanako, sword guy, and sword guy's girlfriend got multiple spotlights as the show went on.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

Star Driver always had the feeling of being as much about the other kids as Takuto, even outside of the other two "main" characters. It's by the Utena director so that's probably why.

Somehow Adult Bank still seemed like it got more than the other wings. Kanako, sword guy, and sword guy's girlfriend got multiple spotlights as the show went on.

Star drivers so loving good.

All of you who haven't seen it should watch star driver immediately.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched captain earth as it was airing, and if i did not watch it as it was airing i certainly would've dropped it quickly. if i had to sum up my lingering impression of it, it'd be "the earth engine was a really rad robot, so why was it always portrayed as incredibly ineffectual?"

star driver i could tell was a good show but i think that outside of how silly the gingabishounen stuff was it wasn't really to my tastes, so i dropped it after episode 8 or so (i recall really enjoying the opening every time it played though)

also: any discussion about captain earth isn't complete without posting the only thing worthwhile to come out of captain earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwlFadLMgQ

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 23, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ninjewtsu posted:

i watched captain earth as it was airing, and if i did not watch it as it was airing i certainly would've dropped it quickly. if i had to sum up my lingering impression of it, it'd be "the earth engine was a really rad robot, so why was it always portrayed as incredibly ineffectual?"

star driver i could tell was a good show but i think that outside of how silly the gingabishounen stuff was it wasn't really to my tastes, so i dropped it after episode 8 or so (i recall really enjoying the opening every time it played though)

also: any discussion about captain earth isn't complete without posting the only thing worthwhile to come out of captain earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwlFadLMgQ

That's neither the second opening, nor earth engine's expansion sequence. :colbert:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I didn't mind Takuto not really losing during Star Driver, because those sequences were often ritualistic in a way that's more or less comparable to what happened in most of the duels throughout Utena.

I might give Captain Earth another chance one day. Mostly to see if coming with lower expectations would help.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Images from some newly drawn scenes from the FMP Movie Trilogy version of season 1 have been shared online.

The Arbalest looks a little weird to me now.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Al looking a little sinister there.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yep, that's a spiky evil boy robot if ever I saw one.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

EthanSteele posted:

Yep, that's a spiky evil boy robot if ever I saw one.

Somehow, I think it'd look a little bit friendlier with the mouth knife.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It looks like it's something from Gundam Seed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My favorite episode of Star Driver was when one of the bad guys used his power outside of the mecha fighting realm to get a snake to bite Takuto and get him poisoned prior to challenging him, if only because that was seemingly an actually clever way to try to win in the circumstances. Or the one where rather than fight him with mechs, they fought him with their physical body blown up to mecha proportion so that defeating them meant killing them (which Takuto wouldn't do). Pretty sure both got handwave plot armor contrivances to make him win though.

It was an OK show that should've been better than it was.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He won the snake one because of the bad guys infighting. Star Driver is half about all the giant teenage babies in the Glittering Crux and half about Sugata and Wako. Takuto is just a wild card that makes things happen.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just started VOTOMS and loving it, just arrived on Vietnam world. Can anyone point me to the show's influences or related stuff? It seems to have a heist + Heart of Darkness + Judge Dredd thing going on but it's hard for me to pin down, I'd really love to watch more stuff like it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Erg posted:

hello my new favorite mecha anime is star driver who else likes star driver

I'm glad that Wako was aiming for the harem ending.

e: wait there's a movie?

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm glad that Wako was aiming for the harem ending.

Not just aiming for - I’m pretty sure she got it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Just started VOTOMS and loving it, just arrived on Vietnam world. Can anyone point me to the show's influences or related stuff? It seems to have a heist + Heart of Darkness + Judge Dredd thing going on but it's hard for me to pin down, I'd really love to watch more stuff like it.

A good post on another forum that covers some of that, plus a bunch of other interesting stuff about the making of VOTOMS.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

a kitten posted:

Its just a compilation, though the intro is post series and kinda rad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Artum posted:

Its just a compilation, though the intro is post series and kinda rad.

Well dang. I was hoping there was at least a follow-up about How Wako's Husbands Got Down From Space.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

a kitten posted:

Well dang. I was hoping there was at least a follow-up about How Wako's Husbands Got Down From Space.

In the giant indestructible robot that can fly in space, obviously.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ha! Cool, thanks. Lol at the rollerskates saving money on animation costs.

Also apparently the guy doesn't even like robo animes that much, explains why some of the best parts don't involve robots :thunk:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, there was an interview with Takahashi a few years ago at some Western Con where he said he didn't actually particularly care about mecha and just used it to appeal to the producers. You can probably find it on Google easily enough. I want to say he was in Scotland for a con, though that seems like a very small one for him to appear at, but it'll almost certainly be findable with a bit of searching.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

Also apparently the guy doesn't even like robo animes that much, explains why some of the best parts don't involve robots :thunk:

He's right.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

Yea, there was an interview with Takahashi a few years ago at some Western Con where he said he didn't actually particularly care about mecha and just used it to appeal to the producers. You can probably find it on Google easily enough. I want to say he was in Scotland for a con, though that seems like a very small one for him to appear at, but it'll almost certainly be findable with a bit of searching.

Yeah he was in Scotland for a con, but the reason he agreed to go was his love of golf and the con was being held right next to a super famous golf course so he got to kill two birds with one stone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

He's right.

A good plot and characters can carry lovely mecha designs/fight choreography, but a bad plot and bad characters are generally not saved by great mecha designs/fight choreography.

Checks out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"Mecha" is less a genre and more an aesthetic. There's mecha action, mecha adventure, mecha romance, mecha fantasy, mecha westerns, mecha sports...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caphi posted:

mecha westerns
I need you to list these out right now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Xabungle, The Good The Bad and the Xabungle, For a Few Xabungle More, 3:10 to Xabungle, Xabungle Bravo, and The Magnificent Xabungle.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mostly Xabungle but there's also Ryuknight and Gun x Sword!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caphi posted:

Mostly Xabungle but there's also Ryuknight and Gun x Sword!
I'm going to watch all three of these at some point now.

Well I was going to watch Xabungle at some point anyways because of Tomino, but this massively increases my interest in it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Gun x Sword is one of my absolute favorite mecha shows ever.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

A good plot and characters can carry lovely mecha designs/fight choreography, but a bad plot and bad characters are generally not saved by great mecha designs/fight choreography.

The Godmars / Dancouga divide.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

Xabungle, The Good The Bad and the Xabungle, For a Few Xabungle More, 3:10 to Xabungle, Xabungle Bravo, and The Magnificent Xabungle.

I would argue Overman King Gainer is pretty Western. There's the lonely roaming outlaw, guiding a group of settlers through dangerous territory, hassled by the corrupt railroad men.

Raxivace posted:

Well I was going to watch Xabungle at some point anyways because of Tomino, but this massively increases my interest in it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

well then

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/939945501994217472

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

That was actually the one I just linked.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

GunXsword has a pretty fun dub by the way, the guy playing van does murderous rage brilliantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

wielder posted:

I didn't mind Takuto not really losing during Star Driver, because those sequences were often ritualistic in a way that's more or less comparable to what happened in most of the duels throughout Utena.

I might give Captain Earth another chance one day. Mostly to see if coming with lower expectations would help.

Captain rear end was really mediocre and I suffered through the whole thing, which really hurt because I enjoyed Star Driver despite all its faults.