Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rydiafan posted:

As somebody who owns and loves Mall of Horrors these changes all seem good, except

this is terrible. Let's remove an unambiguous method of voting and replace it with a clusterfuck of people all secretly trying to point slightly slower so they can see everyone else's vote first.

in my experience that hasn't happened, there's enough negotiation that votes are a formality.

though I agree, voting dials by color would be way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Either of the Codex expansions worth getting? Sirlingames.com is having a half price sale with the promo code crazy50.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lorini posted:

Either of the Codex expansions worth getting? Sirlingames.com is having a half price sale with the promo code crazy50.

They're not really expansions, he just split factions into three boxes. Go with your like or dislike of Magic colors.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I love my LGS. They are extremely helpful and the prices are somehow in line with Amazon most of the time. I asked the owner how he competes with online and he said he has to price most stuff to be competitive and understands he has to take a small hit for it but it's worth it. Because of that I will pay more some of time to support him.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Amazon opens in Australia soon. A store like Milsims (wargames, in a warehouse type thing) will survive for its niche and they put the F in FLGS. Places that have had a monopoly in this space in Australia for decades and price gouged shamelessly are hosed and not many people will miss them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sleekly posted:

Amazon opens in Australia soon. A store like Milsims (wargames, in a warehouse type thing) will survive for its niche and they put the F in FLGS. Places that have had a monopoly in this space in Australia for decades and price gouged shamelessly are hosed and not many people will miss them.

Amazon has been in Canada forever and believe me, except on very rare occasions they do not come close to be being competitive.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
How is Downforce ? Reading more about the new version of it seems like it would be a hit with my group who doesn't play anything too heavy but this can keep people engaged.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That about covers it, fun game but not that much there.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has anyone played Infection at Outpost 31? It looks like the more people you have playing, the more fun it is.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

How is Downforce ? Reading more about the new version of it seems like it would be a hit with my group who doesn't play anything too heavy but this can keep people engaged.

I mean that’s pretty spot on. It is a great fun game with a lot of surprises and laughs, but it’s overall pretty basic. Having someone come through with a lot of high speed cards at the end and winning on a bunch of good bids is funny, and it doesn’t last long enough to be frustrating if someone pulls out a late game victory. A lot of fun

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Downforce is super good filler, 30 min tops even with teaching and you could probably bang out a game in 15 min if everyone knew how to play. It’s not the greatest game balance/depth wise, but it’s not long enough to matter.

However, I think the values for winning the race and betting should be a little different to put more value on correctly betting, but maybe that’s just the meta we had with all new players betting on the lead car and pushing it.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 22, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really like Downforce and I'd say it's a good step up from Camel Up. Camel Up feels like it has a very formulaic pace with obvious choices (first player? place your speed token. 5 point camel left? take it). Downforce combines the betting aspect of Camel Up with a stock simple racing game that's over in about 30 minutes. So if you frequently find yourself with 5-6 people and need a filler Downforce is my first choice.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My store got three of these in, scratch & dent, and we can't use them. I make no guarantees of the state of their contents, but they are sealed. If you want one, PM me and it's yours for the cost of shipping, US only (maximum $12.05).

e: 3/3 claimed, thanks!

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 22, 2017

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Has anyone tried Aristeia? It sounds kinda neat, but who the gently caress knows nowadays. I noticed it's somewhat nicely discounted on Miniature Market atm, and it seems like something my girlfriend would enjoy playing with me, which is important since I keep buying games that are for 3+ players and then never getting to play them because I don't know anyone where I live except two people who love games but aren't available all that often.

e: Also, how is Tak? What are some good 2-player (abstracts especially) you guys would recommend? Girlfriend loves Codenames Duet, Dominion (we've only just started working Intrigue in, so that rabbit hole has miles to go), Patchwork, and Castles of Burgundy already. Anything that's really heavy on individual player arithmetic or something is not a good idea because that's easily the biggest gap between us, we both really like word games and used to play exclusively Bananagrams when we lived in Japan and that was all we had available.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 22, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

e: Also, how is Tak? What are some good 2-player (abstracts especially) you guys would recommend? Girlfriend loves Codenames Duet, Dominion (we've only just started working Intrigue in, so that rabbit hole has miles to go), Patchwork, and Castles of Burgundy already. Anything that's really heavy on individual player arithmetic or something is not a good idea because that's easily the biggest gap between us, we both really like word games and used to play exclusively Bananagrams when we lived in Japan and that was all we had available.

If Spatial reasoning and forward planning is OK, Tash Kalar is pretty great.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get a couple of games of Captain Sonar going on with my work colleagues. I'm slowly turning them to slightly more and more complex game. The end goal of astroturfing my own 18XX group is in sight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

Managed to get a couple of games of Captain Sonar going on with my work colleagues. I'm slowly turning them to slightly more and more complex game. The end goal of astroturfing my own 18XX group is in sight.

:getin: Apparently 18OE plays up to 8.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also i forgot to mention that although they struggled a bit at first, they really liked Captain Sonar by the end. The game is intuitive once you have a few games under your belt.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I know a guy whose work friends refuse to play anything but 7 Wonders, he apparently has nearly 300 games of it logged and got the expansions and deluxe insert for it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

18xx feels like one of those things you either know you’re going to like or not.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The Spirit Island dev or whoever just posted on Facebook that it's back in stock on Amazon for 79.95. Wonder when it hits CSI for a more manageable $50some bucks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I read that the original Twilight Imperium game used counters instead of minis. Does anyone here just happen to have both TI1 and TI4 and would be willing to compare the number and type of ships in both? I'm warming up to the idea of TI4 but I would very much prefer it if I could get counters for the game because minis for boardgames are awful.

I'm already preemptively buying a set of wooden pieces for Gaia Project because they decided to go with minis for that game too :vomarine:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Buy TI4 and sell the minis for the full cost of the game.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Sleekly posted:

Amazon opens in Australia soon. A store like Milsims (wargames, in a warehouse type thing) will survive for its niche and they put the F in FLGS.

Is that before or after they took money for orders they weren't planning on fulfilling, lied about shipments, ignored refund requests, and went out of business? Because I've only had money stolen from me twice in my life, and that was one of them.

New Milsims seems okay, and I did like the old Milsims prior to that point, but I wouldn't hold them up as the gold standard.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AceRimmer posted:

I know a guy whose work friends refuse to play anything but 7 Wonders, he apparently has nearly 300 games of it logged and got the expansions and deluxe insert for it

I ran into someone like this at a Meetup, I pulled out Eminent Domain buy she said it was too repetitive so we played 7 Wonders instead :catstare:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

So I read that the original Twilight Imperium game used counters instead of minis. Does anyone here just happen to have both TI1 and TI4 and would be willing to compare the number and type of ships in both? I'm warming up to the idea of TI4 but I would very much prefer it if I could get counters for the game because minis for boardgames are awful.

I'm already preemptively buying a set of wooden pieces for Gaia Project because they decided to go with minis for that game too :vomarine:

I can't imagine that TI1 would be the easiest source of counters for TI4, given it's long out of print.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has anyone played Infection at Outpost 31? It looks like the more people you have playing, the more fun it is.

Haha everybody here is looking for info and nobody has real experience! I'll level, I have a copy, but it's being kept shrink-wrapped for someone's Christmas gift. I'm dying to know if it's as awful as I think it is so I know whether to return it...

The huge warning flags are things like player elimination and dice-based task resolution. But can it pull together in a beautiful mess way like BSG?

!Klams posted:

There was some talk about the new Thing game earlier, and I really hope it has the same kind of intensity / emotional turmoil of City of Horror. Someone was saying as well, that it would be cool if the Thing could infect other people, so you never knew who your friends were. I was thinking a way to do that would be that players get say, 5 cards, that say if they are infected or not. All 5 you get are the same. At any time you're left back in the base together, you can swap two cards with another player (Keeping hold of at least 1 infected card if you have it). This way those two players would KNOW what the other person is, but no one else would ever really be able to trust it. Plus a newly infected player would then be able to spread the infection once themselves, so its dangerous to check.

See the problem is how to write victory conditions for a true "The Thing" game where anybody can get infected. This is where Panic Station hosed the dog. In that game monsters could transform humans into monsters pretty much just how you describe: via secret card-swapping. But what does that mean for how the game ends? In Panic Station, monsters won when no humans remained. Thus all humans simply volunteered to become monsters so by definition everyone wins. D'oh!

I understand Infection at Outpost 31 does not have free-form Thingification. Instead there is a Thing (or 2 at higher player totals I dunno?) and later in the game someone may or may not randomly become a Thing. More like the team-swapping Lancelot in The Resistance. Not as purely movie-thematic but more manageable for rules and gameplay. So, it seems the game has some wise ideas in it, but...player elimination and dice.

For example, in Outpost, I understand monsters win if a monster escapes with all humans at the end of the game. Why don't monsters just play totally friendly and never sabotage anything then? Won't they win because they never ever gave away their monster-ness? Seems like the only way to prevent that is good luck with limited and random blood test cards, which if true is like :effort:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
ggs CommonShore and Jordan...

I think Jordan having to fire their VP was totally gg for you :( Also placing that house with a garden which fed me probably made things way harder for CommonShore. I'd like to say I played really well to win but I think some of the blunders you guys made always ended up favoring me more than usual :D

With that said...the hamburger airplanes slowed me down A LOT. Maybe CommonShore could have somehow taken better advantage of that

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't imagine that TI1 would be the easiest source of counters for TI4, given it's long out of print.

Hmmmm

I do have space empires 4x and those ship types are probably about equivalent anyway so could just use those. The bonus is that I could even incorporate fog of war into that game

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

angel opportunity posted:

ggs CommonShore and Jordan...

I think Jordan having to fire their VP was totally gg for you :( Also placing that house with a garden which fed me probably made things way harder for CommonShore. I'd like to say I played really well to win but I think some of the blunders you guys made always ended up favoring me more than usual :D

With that said...the hamburger airplanes slowed me down A LOT. Maybe CommonShore could have somehow taken better advantage of that

First game of FCM for me. I had an idea of the early game but the game ended for me when you got the radio tower and I couldn’t respond. I think I had a chance to recover a bit the turn before I sold the VP but I screwed up and didn’t train a pizza cook (I meant to). By the time I sold the VP it was long over for me. :).

Looking forward to the rematch though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Oh, drat, didn't realize it was your first game.

The radio is always a shock the first time you see it cause it seems so overpowered. Generally though if someone opens with trainer and then starts training an ad guy you see it coming many turns in advance. In a 3-player game like we were in where you opened recruiting girl, you had enough time in theory to mess with me so my radio wouldn't be super good. You can increase your production capacity and lower prices some so you steal a lot of the demand I create, or throw planes down like you did and create mixed demand that I can't handle.

The main risk is what I did last turn which is getting a luxury manager so that when all demand is "leftover" and only I can fill it I don't get insane money for one or two houses. I ideally would have gotten luxury manager earlier, but it took me a really long time to get burger production since I skimped on recruiting girls the entire game.

Usually if someone opens trainer they are going to go straight for guru and then do radio, or go straight for radio, or detour like I did for the plane milestone--but ultimately end up getting radio one turn later than going straight for radio. The plane milestone is really sick in combo with radio because I can always go last and pick stuff you guys can't fill. Either way if you see a trainer opening you know that player is going to have a radio soon enough and you want to plan around it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is that before or after they took money for orders they weren't planning on fulfilling, lied about shipments, ignored refund requests, and went out of business? Because I've only had money stolen from me twice in my life, and that was one of them.

New Milsims seems okay, and I did like the old Milsims prior to that point, but I wouldn't hold them up as the gold standard.

Jeez that sucks. Never had one of those experiences with them but otoh I've only dealt with the new guys. Paypal actually interfered in my Cuba Libre order from them, they thought I was sending money to Cuba, and the guy sorted it out for me no trouble.

It does suck that they're the only ones in that niche and I guess a lot of my affection comes just from them existing and being halfway competent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

angel opportunity posted:

Oh, drat, didn't realize it was your first game.

The radio is always a shock the first time you see it cause it seems so overpowered. Generally though if someone opens with trainer and then starts training an ad guy you see it coming many turns in advance. In a 3-player game like we were in where you opened recruiting girl, you had enough time in theory to mess with me so my radio wouldn't be super good. You can increase your production capacity and lower prices some so you steal a lot of the demand I create, or throw planes down like you did and create mixed demand that I can't handle.

The main risk is what I did last turn which is getting a luxury manager so that when all demand is "leftover" and only I can fill it I don't get insane money for one or two houses. I ideally would have gotten luxury manager earlier, but it took me a really long time to get burger production since I skimped on recruiting girls the entire game.

Usually if someone opens trainer they are going to go straight for guru and then do radio, or go straight for radio, or detour like I did for the plane milestone--but ultimately end up getting radio one turn later than going straight for radio. The plane milestone is really sick in combo with radio because I can always go last and pick stuff you guys can't fill. Either way if you see a trainer opening you know that player is going to have a radio soon enough and you want to plan around it.

Yeah the radio seems really strong, but to be fair a lot of the milestones and most trained workers seem really strong. It's not like I really missed out early on, I just didn't know how to take advantage of what I was doing.

It's more that I didn't have a clue that it existed, and while I kind of knew how demand worked, I hadn't really internalized it. So when the pizza dropped down I was just really flat footed responding. I also think the starting spot I picked was questionable, but I'm less sure of that one.

It's a lot of fun though, I signed up for a couple games with randoms just to play around more.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah the radio seems really strong, but to be fair a lot of the milestones and most trained workers seem really strong. It's not like I really missed out early on, I just didn't know how to take advantage of what I was doing.

It's more that I didn't have a clue that it existed, and while I kind of knew how demand worked, I hadn't really internalized it. So when the pizza dropped down I was just really flat footed responding. I also think the starting spot I picked was questionable, but I'm less sure of that one.

It's a lot of fun though, I signed up for a couple games with randoms just to play around more.

I think your starting location was actually objectively better than mine. I messed up counting how far each house was when I did that initial placement. I was 0 spaces from 1 house, 1 from another, 2 from another

You were 0 spaces from 1, and 1 from two other houses.

I actually really liked CommonShore's start location. Usually I prefer to place myself so I can avoid competition early on, but CommonShore took that spot.

It's definitely a well balanced game, and I think recruiting girl opening is strongest for most board layouts. Recruiting Girl is harder to execute though, and if you end up having to fire people because you can't keep making money (say someone cuts you out of sales in a way you didn't expect) you basically lose the game right there on the spot because you just wasted like 3-4 turns hiring people who just got fired before they did anything.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Man y’all are making me want to get back into FCM

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I knew when Tom Vasel told me that Star Wars Rebellion was a modern War of the Ring, that I should have taken it to mean the complete opposite.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kiranamos posted:

I knew when Tom Vasel told me that Star Wars Rebellion was a modern War of the Ring, that I should have taken it to mean the complete opposite.

That...seems like a pretty accurate comparison? In terms of general feel and scope, rather than specific mechanics ofc.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Ubik_Lives posted:

I'm 99.9% sure that the guys who did all that are no longer involved. I'm pretty sure some new guys bought all the old stock and started things from scratch.

I've heard nothing but good things about the new management but I have no idea why they chose to keep the name considering it has such negative connotations.

e: but yeah, the old guys definitely took orders they had no intention of honouring while the business was going under. Lots of people got burned.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah the Joe's dodgy guy bought Milsims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm 99.9% sure that the guys who did all that are no longer involved. I'm pretty sure some new guys bought all the old stock and started things from scratch.

I've heard nothing but good things about the new management but I have no idea why they chose to keep the name considering it has such negative connotations.

e: but yeah, the old guys definitely took orders they had no intention of honouring while the business was going under. Lots of people got burned.

The new owner told me thats what happened yeah. They inherited their ordering system too hence the lovely site. And the name is well known amongst Melbourne grogs from way back. I even bought 3rd Reich for $20 from someone in Qld and it came with an ancient packing slip of theirs from the Camberwell store.

Nostalgia sells I guess.