Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Much like wiz gave up on sector AI's being perfectly good and let us have full control over them any time we need, they need to do the same with ally AI. Have the AI give their fleets as expeditionary forces or whatever and let the player control them (if they WANT to). Either have the AI offer this or allow the player to ask, but it would actually make federations and alliances useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Much like wiz gave up on sector AI's being perfectly good and let us have full control over them any time we need, they need to do the same with ally AI. Have the AI give their fleets as expeditionary forces or whatever and let the player control them (if they WANT to). Either have the AI offer this or allow the player to ask, but it would actually make federations and alliances useful.

We need condottiere

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone know? Maybe the dev who posts here?

Any single "aura" style effect can only apply once on any given target. Even if you have two defensive stations each with a shield dampener, an enemy within range of both stations will only be affected once.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gotcha, thanks for clarification!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We need condottiere

Let me sell ships to space pirates that will raid the commerce lanes of other empires! Or to brave counter-pirates within my empire.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We need condottiere

I’m very down with this. Ways to influence wars other than your own are cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So often I've been heavily cheering for one side in a war but with no real way to help them other than throwing minerals and energy at them. It would be cool to be able to support them in other ways.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dreissi posted:

I’m very down with this. Ways to influence wars other than your own are cool.

There's not much stopping you from intervening in wars now. And the flip side of this coin (half the AIs in the galaxy lends their fleet to your enemies every time you're in a war because they're afraid of you) is less fun.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

There's not much stopping you from intervening in wars now. And the flip side of this coin (half the AIs in the galaxy lends their fleet to your enemies every time you're in a war because they're afraid of you) is less fun.

There’s ways around that though - maybe strict limits based on relations being maxed out. The AI in EU4 doesn’t really abuse the system, at least on normal difficulty, so whatever they’ve done there could be applied maybe.

But ya, right now there’s very little reason not to just jump in and fight your own little war.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had a bit of a rough start playing assimilating robots for the first time, but man they really hit their stride and I smashed everyone. Got domination victory in 2368 which is real early for me, usually see the crisis before I "win".

Also the only fallen empire attacked the fanatical purifier who was neighboring him, but then I guess lost because it ended in a white peace. Then the FE attacked again and was annexed completely. They never woke up just sorta did garbage attacks until they died.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'd like a way of knowing what the enemy has before I fight them - I just had a war where the enemy had equivalent in everything, but had cruisers to my destroyers, and took me apart at even fleet values.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

I'd like a way of knowing what the enemy has before I fight them - I just had a war where the enemy had equivalent in everything, but had cruisers to my destroyers, and took me apart at even fleet values.

I read somewhere that "equivalent" can be anywhere from half your fleet strength to double, so it can be even more of a crapshoot. But yeah the victory screen has a basic ledger, just let us access that whenever.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

You should never, ever attack a cruiser fleet with destroyers unless you're superior. Hell, never attack a higher tech fleet with lower tech poo poo unless you're zergin. It would be nice to get that info without suicide corvettes but that attack was doomed from day one.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
thinking about espionage/sabotage in a game like stellaris gives me flashbacks to playing birth of the federation, where you meet the cardassians or romulans and immediately have poo poo blowing up in your empire the very next turn

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Seams posted:

thinking about espionage/sabotage in a game like stellaris gives me flashbacks to playing birth of the federation, where you meet the cardassians or romulans and immediately have poo poo blowing up in your empire the very next turn

Authoritarian empires should have the option to spend influence to select a neighbouring democracy's leader.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

3 DONG HORSE posted:

You should never, ever attack a cruiser fleet with destroyers unless you're superior. Hell, never attack a higher tech fleet with lower tech poo poo unless you're zergin. It would be nice to get that info without suicide corvettes but that attack was doomed from day one.

Yeah. I had no way of knowing my fleet was outclassed until I engaged. Until you have battleships any wat is a crapshoot. I hadn't even seen the cruiser tech at that point.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As long as you can only infiltrate empires that have the same species as you AND hive minds / robutts are locked out of any espionage that would require actual individuals to perform (like influencing factions) then I'm on board baby

Also none of that "I'm gonna surgically alter my face" bullshit. It's the dumbest star trek sci fi concept

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah. I had no way of knowing my fleet was outclassed until I engaged. Until you have battleships any wat is a crapshoot. I hadn't even seen the cruiser tech at that point.

Next time send corvettes to scout their core systems the moment war is declared. It's the only way you can get any intel before you get decent sensors besides Active Sensor Links.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 23, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

3 DONG HORSE posted:

As long as you can only infiltrate empires that have the same species as you AND hive minds / robutts are locked out of any espionage that would require actual individuals to perform (like influencing factions) then I'm on board baby

Also none of that "I'm gonna surgically alter my face" bullshit. It's the dumbest star trek sci fi concept

Do you just never infiltrate primitives out of immersion rage or...?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Dev diary: Humanoid Species Pack

haven't even read it, but i'm down

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

GunnerJ posted:

Humanoid ship and portrait pack comes out December 7th and will cost $7.99 on release. Or you can preorder it now!

Get your pitchforks out along with your wallet and head over to Steam now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
More portraits and ships is more better. I hope they do another one and decide to go deep end with more weird guys, too

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

This looks cool, I'm in for 8 bucks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The new ship designs look sweet as gently caress.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
New voices are ace. The UN one means I can finally be Space British.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Aethernet posted:

New voices are ace. The UN one means I can finally be Space British.

Spritish?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Agreed the new voices are fab. Just from the clips the 'disciplined militarist' seems to fix the issues people had with the current militarist one very nicely, and the new evil-technocrat materialist one also fills an obvious hole. Can't wait.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wise Overlord Susie Prichard

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any goon-recommended pre-scripted empires. Preferably not of the Klingon/Gundam/Anime babe variety because that's what seems to occupy most of the steam workshop.

E: although ports of races from stuff like Endless Space and GalCiv would be kinda cool. Horatio clone empire would actually work all right with the existing techs.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 23, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

"We have elected you Grand Admiral for the duration of the crisis!"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any goon-recommended pre-scripted empires. Preferably not of the Klingon/Gundam/Anime babe variety because that's what seems to occupy most of the steam workshop.

E: although ports of races from stuff like Endless Space and GalCiv would be kinda cool. Horatio clone empire would actually work all right with the existing techs.

there's the goonpack of all the goon submitted empires, and also a goon-sourced pack that makes more human empires to fill out the other missing colony ships from the lore.

one thing that was good iirc about the goonpack is that everyone who submitted had to have some form of backstory, and had to have custom leader titles

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hell yes I love humanoids I have a empire for each humanoid portrait

Does anyone have the goon species pack link? Sounds coo, does it break achievements? I don't really care about achievements but i need iron man so I don't reload after every bad thing

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fruits of the sea posted:

Silfae has made a lot of flavorful and mechanically unique races on the workshop, I'm a big fan of their stuff

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Reading more of the thread and what others are saying I'm kind of surprised half the games played are using Humans or humanoid portraits. I didn't think it would be quite that popular.

I don't think I've play them myself, apart from one CoM run early on I don't ever recall finishing. And would say that a good half my games are run with a mammalian species and the rest reptillian. Humans just seem so plain in compairison to everything else.

I still fully intend on picking this up, because if nothing else it adds more variety and it's more interesting than plants, bit I'm still going to stick with my mamals (which in the end are just hairier humans I guess, so I'm just as buoring).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Currently on an invasion/integration spree. I assume pops acquired this way keep their ethics. How do I deal with the resulting unhappiness and divergence in a not space hitler way? Is there a good way of converting hostile factions to friendlier ones?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My first run was the council of galactic human colonies or whatever the default is. My current game is those giant spiky plant people who barely fit into the portrait window, who are currently going full synthetic.

Ran into an unfortunate bug, had a long, 30+ year back and forth war between me and an entire federation. Well I took over one planet and wiped one of their fleets, then moved on. Now they're doing nothing but sending single transport ships to one conquered planet, resulting in very obvious losses, and sending single battleships at my 180k fleet over and over. I think their AI broke.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new art does look very nice though I'm not really in the market for cosmetic packs. Maybe if it goes on sale sometime.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Reading more of the thread and what others are saying I'm kind of surprised half the games played are using Humans or humanoid portraits. I didn't think it would be quite that popular.

I don't think I've play them myself, apart from one CoM run early on I don't ever recall finishing. And would say that a good half my games are run with a mammalian species and the rest reptillian. Humans just seem so plain in compairison to everything else.

I still fully intend on picking this up, because if nothing else it adds more variety and it's more interesting than plants, bit I'm still going to stick with my mamals (which in the end are just hairier humans I guess, so I'm just as buoring).

i'm not the biggest fan of humanoids, I think it's kinda lame, but I like having an insane shitload of species options. Like I have a species that has planetoid ships and buildings, tropical, has the fox face. I think it works out, especially with the traits and civics. Plantoids added to those guys. Also I had a game as those cricket guys, and the cabbagemen next door were my dire enemies the whole time.

I hope someday they really do one where it's like, organic crystals in a holomatrix, literal fish in some kind of space aquarium, a giant aoemeba, something that lives on the ceiling instead of the floor, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've only once played non-humans and that was a brief attempt to check out the new machine empires which I didn't like and went back to humans. Wish there was an optional way to hard-code some relationship bonuses and environment preferences to certain portraits. Like humanoids get relationship bonuses and tend towards continental preference since they're just star-trek humanoids and are seen as much less alien or foreign than a gross lump of fungus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You have to remember, on average most humans are pretty boring, so it's just common sense to assume most players of a human game, being human, would go down the most boring options possible.

And I'm only half joking here

• Locked thread