Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is legal weed here yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

Is legal weed here yet?

July 1st.

But if you want some just go into a store or order it online. poo poo's all up and running already.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
A friend just bought an eighth and a loving sampler pack from an online company that shipped it with little stickers on the package made to look like official Government of Canada medical marijuana seals. The future is a strange place.

And I thought it was brazen last summer when I was told to use a dry erase marker to fill out an 'application form' printed on a transparency that they then promptly erased and handed to the next person.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

zapplez posted:

Is legal weed here yet?

https://getcannabisonline.ca/ https://stashclub.ca/ https://www.express420delivery.ca/

No narcs

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

Is legal weed here yet?

Ya, if you're white.

When a black comic doing stand up here asked if weed was legal here yet and I gave that answer he drat near choked to death laughing

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ottawa goons good news you can go skate on a multimillion dollar rink for Canada 150 celebrations as long as you book it two days in advance and don't actually try to play hockey or figure skate or do anything but skate in a circle and wonder how spending about $4 million so that 40,000 people can go public skating makes any loving sense

"Huh? No hockey sticks or pucks on Parliament Hill’s $5.6-million ice rink that celebrates Canada’s birthday"
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...s-birthday.html

[I didn't count the cost of travel and hosting the youth teams playing in the tourney, if you're wondering at the differences in $]

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure there's something in the Charter about discriminating against sticks and pucks on ice surfaces.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tochiazuma posted:

Ottawa goons good news you can go skate on a multimillion dollar rink for Canada 150 celebrations as long as you book it two days in advance and don't actually try to play hockey or figure skate or do anything but skate in a circle and wonder how spending about $4 million so that 40,000 people can go public skating makes any loving sense

"Huh? No hockey sticks or pucks on Parliament Hill’s $5.6-million ice rink that celebrates Canada’s birthday"

[I didn't count the cost of travel and hosting the youth teams playing in the tourney, if you're wondering at the differences in $]

As much of a boondoggle of spending this is, would you really want it to be a mixed use hockey rink where random 8 year old girls are getting hit in the face with hockey pucks as random jocks practice their slap shots? I have no problem with this being like NPS or Rideau where its just skating in a circle/line

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

patonthebach posted:

As much of a boondoggle of spending this is, would you really want it to be a mixed use hockey rink where random 8 year old girls are getting hit in the face with hockey pucks as random jocks practice their slap shots? I have no problem with this being like NPS or Rideau where its just skating in a circle/line

or just, you know, schedule times for that stuff

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

patonthebach posted:

If only there was a way to schedule different skating events at different times of day or something.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Furnaceface posted:

Dead? No. But youre also in a magical fantasy land if you dont think it is also woefully underrepresented and under constant attack by the wealthiest and most horrible people on the planet (most of whom own all the media you consume).

i think that this is both true and it misses the point

of course if you look at areas where money goes the furthest you're going to see a rightward lean but if you look at the grassroots level the left is absolutely resurgent. the blairites and the no-war-but-class-war types are of course going to ignore this and argue we need to move rightward to capture the glamour positions but i think ultimately they're going to lose out to the corbynites and people like jagmeet singh and jason kander who aren't interested in being conservative lite

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does Canada even have a left movement at the grassroots level? I though Singh winning the leadership kind of killed the idea we did.

Also Corbyn is kind of an anomaly, we dont really have anyone that can compare.

Yet. :pray:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
If Jagmeet Singh doesn't do the Lib Lite thing in the next election then I will kill and eat a crow.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/933590719721328640

:staredog:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

chaser

https://twitter.com/CommieDobbs/status/933591067571642368

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Horny on main 4 Former Prime Minister Kim Campbell PC CC OBC QC.

Furnaceface posted:

Does Canada even have a left movement at the grassroots level? I though Singh winning the leadership kind of killed the idea we did.

Also Corbyn is kind of an anomaly, we dont really have anyone that can compare.

Yet. :pray:

Who the gently caress was supposed to be the Canadian Corbyn in that race? Dr. Niki?

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 23, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Who the gently caress was supposed to be the Canadian Corbyn in that race? Dr. Niki?

I said "yet" literally in the post you quoted. Meaning we didnt have one and still dont.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

I said "yet" literally in the post you quoted. Meaning we didnt have one and still dont.

I interpreted it as meaning us having a successful leftist figure. Corbyn was an MP for decades but nobody was talking about whether or not their country had a Corbyn in 2006.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tochiazuma posted:

Favourite part of this article is that the boards and glass will be donated to a 'vulnerable' community. Because that's what such a community needs, a $215k dollar a day upkeep cost on a skating rink. I know it wouldn't actually cost them that much a day, but this is really tone deaf about what type of support these communities need and how tax dollars should be spent. The best outcome would be give them to a community that already has a rink that needs refurbishment, but I wonder how 'vulnerable' a community that can already afford a hockey rink really is.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
theyre just going to dump everything in the streets of vanier and drive off

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Stephen Harper posted:

It may not be true, but it's legendary that if you're like all Americans, you know almost nothing except for your own country. Which makes you probably knowledgeable about one more country than most Canadians.

:negative:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

so many defensive canadians in that thread

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Man Harper really seems to hate Canadians.

Is...Harper CI?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hasn't Campbell been our "Hollywood Ambassador" for the last decade or so?

I'm not surprised her morals have been comprised.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How dare a woman make a joke?

It's unconscionable!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well, they did elect him because they thought it was in their best interests.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
seems like an obvious bad tasteless joke to me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think it's even particularly tasteless, but the "pattern" for that joke relies a lot of tone of voice, so it doesn't translate well to text.

It's a pretty common joke, to be honest. "Who among us hasn't done [completely outlandish thing]?"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

I don't think it's even particularly tasteless, but the "pattern" for that joke relies a lot of tone of voice, so it doesn't translate well to text.

It's a pretty common joke, to be honest. "Who among us hasn't done [completely outlandish thing]?"

I thought it was funny.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I made fun of my gf's dad's Conservative calendar he received with Andrew Scheer's robotic body on the front.

That was a mistake.

"TRUDEAU IS THE WORST WE'VE EVER HAD!"

"SCHEER WILL WIN EASILY!"

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

MA-Horus posted:

Is...Harper CI?

That "she was never elected" helps prove Harper's statement, though, because it's just wrong. Kim Campbell was the elected leader of the party that was able to secure the confidence of the House, just as Justin Trudeau is.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tagesschau posted:

That "she was never elected" helps prove Harper's statement, though, because it's just wrong. Kim Campbell was the elected leader of the party that was able to secure the confidence of the House, just as Justin Trudeau is.

Yeah not to mention the whole bit where he subverted democracy by pro-rogueing parliament. gently caress a Harper. Cheeky bastard.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 23, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MA-Horus posted:

Is...Harper CI?

Holy frig, I never knew about this speech, it's incredible. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/text-of-harpers-speech/article1131985/?page=all

quote:

First, facts about Canada. Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it. Canadians make no connection between the fact that they are a Northern European welfare state and the fact that we have very low economic growth, a standard of living substantially lower than yours, a massive brain drain of young professionals to your country, and double the unemployment rate of the United States.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Harper hates the federal government and was slowly trying to dismantle it's power, presumably because he thought Alberta was being held back by all the other provinces or something

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Harper hates the federal government and was slowly trying to dismantle it's power, presumably because he thought Alberta was being held back by all the other provinces or something

Alberta Shrugged by Stephen Harper

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Testikles posted:

Alberta Shrugged

:aaa:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What do you guys think about the Liberal's 40 billion dollar housing plan?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Housing people and reducing homelessness is Good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Too little, too late. I'm guessing they're waiting for a crash/recession to blame for it's inevitable abandonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I hope it will make it harder for people to get kicked out of federal housing because they can't pay the rent, for want of years of mislaid federal paycheques.