Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoiler images are showing up already, go fig.

This is going to be a very sad chapter it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fabricated posted:

MHA is going a mile a minute now, after that long drag of slow-pace, and I love it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kyte posted:

Transmission is an issue too, y'know.
Also, production byproducts, ecological impact, stuff like that.

Over here all the majority of our energy is supplied by hydroelectric but it turns out dams are actually not super environmentally friendly and since most of the dams are down south the northern regions still need their own generators. We've got some good research going on salt-solar plants, though.

Actually, I kinda wanna see proof for your claim. What country has such an enormous excess of energy it can provide for those who're short on it?

let me just start by telling you the fun tidbit that our usage of nuclear fuel can best be described as licking the whipped cream off of a milkshake and throwing the rest of it away, because nobody wants to bother doing fuel recycling.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paracelsus posted:

On one day with a good wind, yes. A lot of the time they have to fire up coal power plants because there isn't enough wind and/or sun for renewables to meet demand.

That's moving the goalposts. You wanted to know what country had enormous excesses of energy that they could provide to those that are short on it. Germany is one of them, so much to the point that they have accelerated plans to dismantle their nuclear power plants ahead of schedule. Saudi Arabia, if it built up its capacity even more, could start selling electricity instead of oil, though that would require massive high-voltage grid buildouts. And Mexico now can get solar power more cheaply than Saudi Arabia.

In fact, according to a professor from UC Berkeley named Mehram Moalem does this math: https://www.quora.com/Could-the-wor...r/Mehran-Moalem

quote:

The total world energy usage (coal+oil+hydroelectric+nuclear+renewable) in 2015 was 13,000 Million Ton Oil Equivalent (13,000 MTOE) - see World Energy Consumption & Stats. This translates to 17.3 Terawatts continuous power during the year.

Now, if we cover an area of the Earth 335 kilometers by 335 kilometers with solar panels, even with moderate efficiencies achievable easily today, it will provide more than 17,4 TW power. This area is 43,000 square miles. The Great Saharan Desert in Africa is 3.6 million square miles and is prime for solar power (more than twelve hours per day). That means 1.2% of the Sahara desert is sufficient to cover all of the energy needs of the world in solar energy. There is no way coal, oil, wind, geothermal or nuclear can compete with this. The cost of the project will be about five trillion dollars, one time cost at today's prices without any economy of scale savings. That is less than the bail out cost of banks by Obama in the last recession. Easier to imagine the cost is 1/4 of US national debt, and equal to 10% of world one year GDP. So this cost is rather small compared to other spending in the world. There is no future in other energy forms. In twenty to thirty years solar will replace everything. There will still be need for liquid fuels but likely it will be hydrogen produced by the electrolysis of water and that powered by solar. Then tankers and pipelines will haul that hydrogen around the world. One can also envision zirconium or titanium batteries that store large quantities of hydrogen.

Therefore, in support of Mordaedil's claim, yes, we produce more power than we can possibly use, on a global scale.

In the most absolute reductive terms: Too much supply drives the price down, and that's why electricty is 1.7 cents/kWh in Mexico.

Now we just gotta figure out how to store it so that we can stop using consumables whenever generation and consumption fall out of equilibrium.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

Link the images my dude, I want to be spoiled.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

He went from an emotionally stunted man-child to a psycho super-villain in one chapter.

You say that as if there's a significant gap between the two.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

*energy stuff*

Also aren't we at the point where nearly every building material (roofing, glass, sidings, driveways) has an solar power generating equivalent? So people could replace their roof tiles and windows with solar generating ones and have basically all the power they'd ever need.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes.

However, there are still ultimately places where solar power makes more sense than other places.

Higher latitudes, for example, are poor locations for solar power.

Between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, where the sun can shine directly overhead, and closer to the equator, solar panels can achieve greater than the 25% efficiency rating that's thrown around, since that 25% is not a real-world scenario number, but a minimum average based on all reasonable latitudes that they could be installed on earth.

More benefits provided by solar panels: They combat urban heat islands created by metropolitan areas, by outright absorbing sunlight into electricity, instead of reflecting, absorbing, and re-radiating it back out as the sun goes down.

That's not to say they don't have their problems. Solar panels will interrupt any sunlight from getting to whatever's underneath, and while this might be good in an urban environment (think wide fields of solar panels making lots and lots of shade for people to park underneath in parking lots) they can tamper with natural environments. In fact, solar salt towers run the risk of making birds that fly into the cone-shaped area formed by the tower and the various reflector mirrors.... quite crispy.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 23, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I wasn't trying to make the point that "we've solved energy, except the government keeps the little guy down", there's very much a matter of transporting and a matter of tariffs.

For instance Norway produces so much excess energy from water-power, that it pretty much has to sell most of it to other countries, and they could technically provide it for free to the entire country, but it doesn't work out that way. I reckon power here is still fairly cheap compared to other places. Meanwhile other products here costs about an arm and a leg.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which of the students in Class 1A would be best suited for creating infinite energy for the benefit of humanity?

Denki is the most direct choice, as he literally makes electricity. He has a time limit on how long he can use his ability before he turns stupid, though.

Todoroki is the most obvious choice - plenty of things you can do with at-will thermal / heat generation.

Katsuki can make explosions, but it's a little harder to harness that for energy creation.

Ochako can cancel gravity on heavy objects, let it float, and then return the gravity and let it drop down. This could be used on some kind of turbine.

Momo can convert food calories to petroleum, but it's not clear whether there's an energy loss during the conversion or if she's able to do it on a 1:1 or better ratio.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make the point that "we've solved energy, except the government keeps the little guy down", there's very much a matter of transporting and a matter of tariffs.

For instance Norway produces so much excess energy from water-power, that it pretty much has to sell most of it to other countries, and they could technically provide it for free to the entire country, but it doesn't work out that way. I reckon power here is still fairly cheap compared to other places. Meanwhile other products here costs about an arm and a leg.

Yes. Similarly, it may be interesting to note that a group of investors spearheaded by Masayoshi Son (president of Softbank, which owns Sprint) are working on creating something called the Asia Super Grid, which will span China, Japan, Russia, and South Korea, in order to more efficiently transmit electricity from renewable sources around the Asian continent.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 23, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How the hell did the thread even get onto this tangent?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Shigaraki's dumb for holding heroes to an unrealistic standard of being able to save everyone, everywhere, without regard for their own personal well-being.

Because by following that logic, the best thing that Superman could do for humanity would be to just turn a crank and create unlimited free power for the world.

Which we will eventually get to on our own anyways, we just need to figure out storage and overhaul transmission.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

However, there are still ultimately places where solar power makes more sense than other places.

True, but there's still wind and tidal power when solar isn't the ideal solution for a given area.

Solar is just every scientist's favourite because it'll work in space.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, geothermal, the 'sci-fi wasteland' option.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
My Hero Academia Manga: This thread is about renewable energy sources now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Full korean raws are out. MS releasing MHA last as they generally do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is no possibility of us making anything even approaching a majority of our electricity with renewable resources with our current level of technology.

It remains to be seen if we can do it in the future but at the moment it is a pipe dream.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
according to who

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

according to who

Pretty much everybody?

As long as power storage and transfer are an issue you need to have power available where and when it is needed. Nobody wants to run out of electricity in the winter when it's not sunny and not windy.

Edit: Don't take this as a pessimistic stance. Energy tech is evolving really rapidly so you never know if we can get some practical solutions to that.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 23, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fill in the gaps with nuclear power, its safer and less radioactive than coal

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

fill in the gaps with nuclear power, its safer and less radioactive than coal

Sure. Nuclear is by far the best option in situations that can't filled with renewables. If/When renewable technology develops enough you can shut them down.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Andrast posted:

There is no possibility of us making anything even approaching a majority of our electricity with renewable resources with our current level of technology.

It remains to be seen if we can do it in the future but at the moment it is a pipe dream.
Hold on, financially there's no possibility (yet) but the technology (and the raw materials) does exist.

It would take a combination of mass local storage (like the Tesla PowerWall and the massive battery installations like the one just completed in Australia for the bet), replacing the creaky existing power transmission system with an HVDC one and simply spending a ton of money on solar and wind farms (which is limited by where it makes financial sense rather than technical feasibility) but that would actually be enough to fulfill power needs. We have both the technology and the raw materials to do it; it's simply not yet cost effective, especially with cheap natural gas.

In the long term, this will eventually happen although the USA will likely cling to the existing crumbling infrastructure like how it's basically the only country still using imperial units. China, of course, can afford to (and has the politic will to) sink money now to move towards this in order to reap the benefits in the long term; they have to do this because they have so many people and the existing pollution is that bad.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 23, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

In the long term, this will eventually happen although the USA will likely cling to the existing crumbling infrastructure like how it's basically the only country still using imperial units. China, of course, can afford to (and has the politic will to) sink money now to move towards this in order to reap the benefits in the long term; they have to do this because they have so many people and the existing pollution is that bad.

They also really want to keep their economy going so massive infrastructural investments just make sense for them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chapters out lets stop talking about this stupid topic.

http://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/161/4724/1

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everything went as expected except All Might not telling his BF that he loves him

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

F in pieces.

I'm a mummy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm legitimately surprised.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'm a mummy. Kirishima is fantastic.

Also that was a really well done chapter.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the ole 2 week internship before he kicks the bucket?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
:smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So basically it takes a lot of people working towards the same goal to change Nighteye's prediction, one person can't do it alone.

Also RIP

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I also think that puts to rest the idea the heroes might try to use Emi. But I was not expecting that Nighteye would die, I absolutely expected they would rewind on that or Mirio's Quirk.

Also I binged this series in 2 days after relentlessly slagging it off to a friend who kept trying to push me to watch it. Turns out it's extremely my poo poo, who knew?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Welcome to the Arguing About Superhero Physics thread.

Third season of the anime will be in April, and the first two are absolutely fantastic.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

the ole 2 week internship before he kicks the bucket?

Deku has terrible luck with mentors. At least Gran Torino only got fired.

Kirishima continues to be fantastic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My Hero Academia continuing to break the shounen mold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

At this point, he's going through more father figures than Harry Potter.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Man that fell flat for me.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man that fell flat for me.

It fell flat for me until Mirio showed up, then I admittedly felt really sad reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
*plinkett voice* hey everybody it's Midoriya, everyone who teaches him gets maimed or dies! Who wants to teach him? Step right up!