Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

lol Uber is burning piles of tyres all the way down

Unless you're a woman! Then you are treated like a princess!!

until you refuse to sleep with your boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Naturally, no one will go to jail over this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ Xpost from meme thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So, Lenovo posted the list of laptops vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine vulnerability and when they have a patch outgoing according to them. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/len-17297

My dinky Skylake tablet convertable I never use as a tablet I was gifted (Lenovo Yoga 700-11ISK) isn't even listed, so who knows? Certainly isn't getting patched I'm guessing, but the one time this thing ever got a firmware update it was a Windows-only update (which made it fun, I single-boot Linux off it). What do I even do with an otherwise usable computer with a remote execution vulnerability in the Management Engine?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Potato Salad posted:

^ Xpost from meme thread

Like, is this a new gilded age of corporate/rich person impunity, or am I just getting more to the age where I notice it more and my bile just rises faster?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

gourdcaptain posted:

So, Lenovo posted the list of laptops vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine vulnerability and when they have a patch outgoing according to them. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/len-17297

My dinky Skylake tablet convertable I never use as a tablet I was gifted (Lenovo Yoga 700-11ISK) isn't even listed, so who knows? Certainly isn't getting patched I'm guessing, but the one time this thing ever got a firmware update it was a Windows-only update (which made it fun, I single-boot Linux off it). What do I even do with an otherwise usable computer with a remote execution vulnerability in the Management Engine?

Is it even a problem on systems without vPro (like most consumer grade laptops)?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Internet Explorer posted:

Seriously? It sounds like someone is just using his name as a display name.

Yes, you should have 2FA. Yes, you should have a password manager. Change all your passwords? How is that going to help in this situation?

Something like this is so incredibly common. It's not even actually "spoofing" anything. The guy said it's not even an email that he owns.

I didn't say he was actually compromised, just telling him what he should do if he thinks he is compromised. If you have a password manager, changing all your passwords isn't hard.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

dissss posted:

Is it even a problem on systems without vPro (like most consumer grade laptops)?

Intel's linux detection tool for the vulnerability says it's vulnerable, so I'm going to guess so? (After I edited it to point at python2 instead of just "python" for its interpreter so it would run at all.)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

dissss posted:

ME is a part of every recent Intel CPU, vPro or not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

Like, is this a new gilded age of corporate/rich person impunity, or am I just getting more to the age where I notice it more and my bile just rises faster?
It's long been like this/worse, some people are finally noticing simply by virtue of information being easier to disseminate. This also means truthers, birthers, etc also get more of an audience, unfortunately.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gourdcaptain posted:

Don't execute untrusted code ever.

dissss posted:

This is against the Minux kernel executing on the CPU itself, not the vPro management stuff that it hooks in to on the motherboard. Every 6th gen CPU forward is affected.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 22, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I ran this tool they recommended and it said at least my personal tablet/laptop isn't affected.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That tool has apparently had false-negatives. Just check the CPU model against Intel's article.

quote:

6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 & v6 Product Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
Intel® Xeon® Processor W Family
Intel® Atom® C3000 Processor Family
Apollo Lake Intel® Atom Processor E3900 series
Apollo Lake Intel® Pentium™
Celeron™ N and J series Processors

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My XPS 13 is vulnerable :woop:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That tool has apparently had false-negatives. Just check the CPU model against Intel's article.

It's an i5! I'm safe! :woop:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's an i5! I'm safe! :woop:

i5s are not safe.

"6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family"

That means any i3, i5, i7, or i9 with a 6xxx through 8xxx model code.

Also the older ones aren't necessarily safe, they're just using a different version of the ME hardware and software which hasn't been looked at as deeply because IIRC it can be fully neutered.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wolrah posted:

i5s are not safe.

Also the older ones aren't necessarily safe, they're just using a different version of the ME hardware and software which hasn't been looked at as deeply because IIRC it can be fully neutered.

iSuck. :smith:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

i5s are not safe.

The older versions have similar risks and cannot be "fully neutered". 6th gen forward the ME engine moved to Minix and the security researchers are able to pick at it with more conventional tools. The ME engine before that was some kind of proprietary microkernel and they've been having a harder time picking it apart and analyzing. Impossible to say if that is a good or bad thing at this point, but most likely bad since governments have a lot more money to poke at this stuff and possibly access to proprietary Intel documentation on it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
In what way can your Intel PC be controlled, though? Even if you've got some kind of outward-facing RDP/VNC/SSH setup it ultimately falls down to the security of that, doesn't it?

I guess it comes down to being extra vigilant with whatever software you tell your PC to run?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The ME is hooked in to effectively everything and executes above the OS and in some ways the majority of your hardware. Successful execution allows for direct access and tampering, a hardware rootkit that will never leave and Intel will provide no reflash/factory restore procedure for. It goes in the trash in such a situation. The system cannot be trusted, which is been the fundamental complaint and concern about the access the ME has in the first place and security searchers have been making noise about. The mother of all privilege elevation attacks.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The older versions have similar risks and cannot be "fully neutered". 6th gen forward the ME engine moved to Minix and the security researchers are able to pick at it with more conventional tools. The ME engine before that was some kind of proprietary microkernel and they've been having a harder time picking it apart and analyzing. Impossible to say if that is a good or bad thing at this point, but most likely bad since governments have a lot more money to poke at this stuff and possibly access to proprietary Intel documentation on it.

It seems there was a version number thing that was throwing off my memory.

ME versions 1-5 can be fully disabled.

ME version 6 added a watchdog system that shuts the PC down if the ME hasn't started up within 30 minutes of boot. In my head I associated this with the 6th-gen Core chips, but instead this was in the first-gen Core i-series. From here on out we can only neuter it to one level or another, not eliminate it.

ME version 11 (Skylake) changed to the Minix-on-x86 platform used currently.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

This is the standard laptop for my company

good days

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

"Hey guys I'm going to add this super secret software with all system access but its ok because we write perfect, bug-and-expolit-free code"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

"Hey guys I'm going to add this super secret software with all system access but its ok because we write perfect, bug-and-expolit-free code"

Said everyone ever.

There's a reason this is a booming and lucrative field.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

It'd be one freaking thing if you could update the firmware for it straight from Intel, but nope, gotta wait for the OEM to release an update with the fix for it. Motherboard or system OEMs. We are so screwed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gourdcaptain posted:

It'd be one freaking thing if you could update the firmware for it straight from Intel, but nope, gotta wait for the OEM to release an update with the fix for it. Motherboard or system OEMs. We are so screwed.
What makes you say that?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

anthonypants posted:

What makes you say that?

OEMs don't exactly have a great track record of updating all their models (see my phantom tablet) or informing everyone of firmware updates.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

This is against the Minux kernel executing on the CPU itself, not the vPro management stuff that it hooks in to on the motherboard. Every 6th gen CPU forward is affected.

Hmmm so I guess while everything is vulnerable only the more popular corporate stuff (Thinkpads, Latitudes and EliteBooks) are ever going to see a fix.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

dissss posted:

Hmmm so I guess while everything is vulnerable only the more popular corporate stuff (Thinkpads, Latitudes and EliteBooks) are ever going to see a fix.

That's the most likely outcome, which sucks but is probably Good Enough from a risk mitigation standpoint since most corporates and governments will have a recourse in the coming weeks. This isn't something you, as a state actor, would try to target against Joe Blow Civilian though the human rights and journalist crowds should be concerned. It will absolutely suck if a developed attack vector leaks like EternalBlue and gets in the hands of script kiddies.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

Mostly because there's a lot of consumer stuff that doesn't have any vPro/IME hardware.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Mostly because there's a lot of consumer stuff that doesn't have any vPro/IME hardware.

Again, going by Intel's own detection tools, this doesn't seem to require vPro because my very cruddy Intel Core m5-6Y54 equipped tablet triggered the detection tool for the vulnerability.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:confuoot:

It's an old NUC with an i3-6100U CPU, which I think is in the vulnerable range.

Also, I love it when official dead-serious Intel security testing software can't even spell words right. A "priviledge" account? That sure inspires trust when I'm about to run the drat thing as root...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

evil_bunnY posted:

It's long been like this/worse, some people are finally noticing simply by virtue of information being easier to disseminate. This also means truthers, birthers, etc also get more of an audience, unfortunately.

Truther/birther/vaxxer conspiratorial stuff is kinda the natural result of people who get woke in a false start due to being, for whatever reason, unwilling to accept the full, obvious answer for why X problem exists. Examples, Alex Jones trutherism as a diversion from the Bush/GOP's lies leading up to the 2001+ iraq war and the horrors largely attributable to their partisan side, their tribe. Vaxxer bullshit due to an unwillingness to accept that bad things happen for no reason.

That's my working theory and I'm sticking to it

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 22, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The ME is hooked in to effectively everything and executes above the OS and in some ways the majority of your hardware. Successful execution allows for direct access and tampering, a hardware rootkit that will never leave and Intel will provide no reflash/factory restore procedure for. It goes in the trash in such a situation. The system cannot be trusted, which is been the fundamental complaint and concern about the access the ME has in the first place and security searchers have been making noise about. The mother of all privilege elevation attacks.

I've been trying to wrestle explaining concisely why this is such a big deal, tyvm.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

wolrah posted:

i5s are not safe.

Dell are listing things going back to Ivy bridge CPUs as affected and due to receive updates: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308237/dell-client-statement-on-intel-me-txe-advisory--intel-sa-00086-?lang=en

It's not yet clear if those older Dell updates address the ME CVEs, or the TXE CVEs, that were included in this disclosure.

Edit: apparently Intel Manageability Engine Firmware 8.x/9.x/10.x were also affected by these CVEs, but:
"The two CVE IDs above were also resolved in earlier generations of corporate versions of Intel ME, where Intel® Active Management Technology shares the same code base. "

As in, this isn't the first time Intel have fixed this particular ME vulnerability. FFS.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Mr Chips posted:

apparently Intel Manageability Engine Firmware 8.x/9.x/10.x were also affected by these CVEs, but:
"The two CVE IDs above were also resolved in earlier generations of corporate versions of Intel ME, where Intel® Active Management Technology shares the same code base. "

As in, this isn't the first time Intel have fixed this particular ME vulnerability. FFS.
I had three subsequent systems with three subsequent generations of processors all affected by the same TSX microcode crash bug (triggered by just doing random stuff with newer versions of glibc) and had to wait for Intel to push a microcode update for each. -_- (The most "fun" was the laptop with a i7 5700HQ which Intel pushed a fix to OEMs (a month after I got the laptop a month after the CPUs were released) but the only way to get it for a while for most people was to rip it out of a MSI firmware update as they were the only ones bothering to ship it for a month and Intel didn't have it in their standalone microcode rollup.)

Intel screwing up fixing things they've fixed before is hardly a surprise for me. :(

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You could say the same for most companies. It’s not just intel.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/infosecTweet/status/934077403088998401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/28/macos-high-sierra-bug-admin-access/

This is some "login to Windows by browsing help files for a print driver" levels of fun