Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Fauxtool posted:

85+ on large dual sports isnt very fun either. KLR650 tracks like a mofo on ADV tires. I would still probably buy another. It was super fun and way too easy to maintain.

85 is slow on the S10. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

captainOrbital posted:

It's a Japanese cruiser; it will be fine.

That's what I'm hoping, I'll need to check with my broker but this is near the top of my list for replacement daily driver.

If not I guess a 599.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I are shopping for trail bikes to play with up at Walker Valley and stuff. We are looking for softer-than-MX suspension and wider ratio gears. Anybody have any opinions on:

- Honda CRF250X
- Yamaha YZ250X, YZ250FX

I hear the Honda has a softer power delivery than other bikes in the class?

Are the X-model YZs sprung for cross-country?

I currently run a Yam DT175 on the trails and I like the 2 stroke engine. But how do modern 2strokes compare with comparably sized 4stroke?

Do I really just want to get a KTM 300 enduro/woods bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The FX Yamahas have absolutely perfect gnarly trail suspension. Modern 2t Japanese bikes are still pretty peaky and violent, a 300ktm is a much different beast with a really grunty delivery.

Also consider a 200exc; super svelte 125 chassis but with good low down torque.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

My wife and I are shopping for trail bikes to play with up at Walker Valley and stuff. We are looking for softer-than-MX suspension and wider ratio gears. Anybody have any opinions on:

- Honda CRF250X
- Yamaha YZ250X, YZ250FX

I hear the Honda has a softer power delivery than other bikes in the class?

Are the X-model YZs sprung for cross-country?

I currently run a Yam DT175 on the trails and I like the 2 stroke engine. But how do modern 2strokes compare with comparably sized 4stroke?

The September 2015 of Traction eRag has a side-by-side of the YZ and WR.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any notion of why somebody would consider the WR250F over the YZ250FX or vice versa besides $100? Seems like the obvious difference is that an extra cog is worth $100.

e: oh I see the YZ-X has a WR 5sp, the YZ-FX has a WR 6speed?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 14, 2017

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

That's what my roommate and i ride up at walker. Are you familiar with walker?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. I've rode up there on a few bikes. I thought the 125 SX handled it like magic but it didn't have enough grunt to push me up some of the hills without slipping the clutch. The 300 XC-W chewed me up and shat me out into a tree on Jam :) The DT175 is HARD WORK up there suspension-wise, but the engine seems in its element, I've rode all over Walker on it - problem is that it stalls out when you get hang time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You actually want a couple of beta x trainers, fwiw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got a mate who sells betas. I was pretty impressed with how they ride but his personal one is now at 30hrs and has had several hundred dollars worth of warranty repairs and may or may not have a blown head gasket/warped head.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Got a mate who sells betas. I was pretty impressed with how they ride but his personal one is now at 30hrs and has had several hundred dollars worth of warranty repairs and may or may not have a blown head gasket/warped head.

In the states at least they have an actual warranty which is pretty unusual for dirt bikes. Anecdotally, there are not many issues in the beta threads on ADVrider and thumpertalk, but who knows. Anyway, I still think the answer is xtrainers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You could do worse than a beta, at least they aren't gasgas.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Put a deposit down on the Vstrom, hopefully I can pick it up this weekend.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The beta dealer called, they're all outta you.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
In Australia here: haven't really decided if I'm going to buy a bigger bike or just get out of riding for a while, but:

Considering buying a secondhand 600-650cc dual sport, especially now that summer is here. My current bike is a CB125e that I have no reason to keep now that I've got an econobox for commuting. From experience, I don't think a 250 is what I want - cost is a factor for me and it will not be much cheaper than a larger bike, and will still be kinda limited power-wise (would like to take a pillion sometimes). 400's I would consider but the XR I'm pretty sure doesn't have passenger footpegs, and even if the DRZ400 does, by the time I've replaced that narrow seat and added a luggage rack, I might as well have spent my money on a 600 that already came set up for what I want.

I've kinda ruled out XR600/650s as they have no passenger footpegs either. I think I'm mostly after either a DR650, KLR650, or possibly an F650 GS, if one can be had at a decent price.

Do the 08 KLR650's have any bugs from being the first year of the redesign, or are they pretty much the same as newer ones? I think I'd rather have one of the pre-08s, but seem less common around here. Are there any DR models to look out for? How much worse is an F650 GS for parts/reliability than something like a KLR or DR? I've seen a few Yamaha's pop up for sale that tend to be a little cheaper - is this because they're worse, or just less common? Have been burned by a snowflake bike's snowflake parts failing in the past, so I'd rather not get anything that'd be too hard to find parts for.

Comedy option is to find a 70s XL125 so my rego payments don't go up and stick to the back roads, but those are mad rare. Apparently nobody in Australia's made a 125cc road-trail that can take a pillion since then though, unless you count crappy Chinese pitbikes (actually not sure if they can take a passenger or not). Thought about getting a Grom and throwing some 50/50 tyres on it, but they are still pretty pricey secondhand.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm confused about why you care about passenger pegs and then mention a grom

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't let this forum fool you, groms are terrible vehicles for pretty much any real-world application and you'd want to sell it within a month of buying.

KLR's are stupid heavy and gutless but they haven't changed materially since inception so there's no point buying a newish one.

DR's are all the same but a substantially better bike than the KLR and are the only one you've mentioned (besides XR) that are genuinely capable off-road.

Old BMW's: don't do it. Just don't.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont buy any motorcycle ever, they are all terrible wastes of time and money

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My 08 KLR was a pretty awful bike, and yes there were quality issues from the redesign. The 08-09 burn more oil than normal, things rattle loose, wire harnesses chafe through etc. Its not the tank the internet makes it out to be.

E: except for the acceleration, handling and ride, thats tank like.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Listen to Slavvy: everything is terrible and heavy and slow and unusable and unreliable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

Listen to Slavvy: everything is terrible and heavy and slow and unusable and unreliable.

Pretty much :v:

I owned an 07' klr a long time ago. yeah never again.

of the 3 soviet era 650s, get the honda xr650l.

a BMW F bike at least gives you an alright rotax mill and fuel injection. Be aware some will break the fork at the axle mount.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Slavvy posted:

Don't let this forum fool you, groms are terrible vehicles for pretty much any real-world application and you'd want to sell it within a month of buying.

KLR's are stupid heavy and gutless but they haven't changed materially since inception so there's no point buying a newish one.

DR's are all the same but a substantially better bike than the KLR and are the only one you've mentioned (besides XR) that are genuinely capable off-road.

Razzled posted:

i'm confused about why you care about passenger pegs and then mention a grom

It's in the "Plan B" section, which is a small bike mostly for solo rides but occasionally carrying a pillion.

I wouldn't buy an old BMW at pretty much any price (if anything I have a slight antipathy towards the brand), I'm talking early 2000s. I toured with a friend who had an F650 GS from around then and it was quite nice on the highways and OK on trails (whereas my XR250 was crap on the highway, and was very good on trails). I dunno about the 90s ones but the headlights/lines are so ugly I just can't.

Again, the big XR's don't have passenger pegs which makes them an expensive way to annoy my partner for getting left behind on trips. They also tend not to have luggage racks, so there's another $300 to spend.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There will always be multiples of $300 to spend. If it's not something simple like a luggage rack it will be something more of a pain like tires or a chain and sprockets or a carb rebuild.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

All of this is correct, except that if you REALLY want a grom, then his statement doesn't apply. If you get a grom without knowing what you are getting into, you will be disappointed.

Get the DR. At least here, they are super cheap to farkle out with the used market, and a splended bike all around. My DR is so good and fun and enjoyable, I sold my 690SMC within 3 months of DR ownership. It's sooo gooood.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah the DR or XR would be my pick out of everything mentioned.

cursedshitbox posted:

a BMW F bike at least gives you an alright rotax mill and fuel injection. Be aware some will break the fork at the axle mount.

Might just be my personal experiences but I've never been that impressed with the old rotax single. Irritatingly complex yet low capacity cooling system, bizarre gigantic car style bucket tappets and they're always in a bike assembled like the enigma device with the worst imaginable packaging for every single little thing. Maybe if I'd experienced one outside of a BMW I'd feel differently.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's in the "Plan B" section, which is a small bike mostly for solo rides but occasionally carrying a pillion.

I wouldn't buy an old BMW at pretty much any price (if anything I have a slight antipathy towards the brand), I'm talking early 2000s. I toured with a friend who had an F650 GS from around then and it was quite nice on the highways and OK on trails (whereas my XR250 was crap on the highway, and was very good on trails). I dunno about the 90s ones but the headlights/lines are so ugly I just can't.

Again, the big XR's don't have passenger pegs which makes them an expensive way to annoy my partner for getting left behind on trips. They also tend not to have luggage racks, so there's another $300 to spend.

Protip: a BMW older than 10 years is ancient and 90% of them are rife with horrible PO neglect issues. I've only seen one or two working 90's ones and they were all the air cooled boxer variety and completely hosed cosmetically.

Compared to cars, bike mileage/age are like dog years and the less japanese they are, the smaller and more inbred the dog.

Have you considered buying your partner a 250 instead so you're not riding pillion all the time. Also you don't need a luggage rack you need a beer crate and some cargo netting.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I lost a whole six pack with a crate as luggage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's why you drink it first so there's room in the crate for your luggage, duh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
everyone should just buy hawk gts

also honda should just make a new hawk gt with everything the same except it has EFI and ABS and better shocks

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've always wanted a hawk gt but I couldn't live with myself if I crashed it so I will never buy one. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wanted one too but it always seems to be a choice between getting a cosmetically destroyed 650 or a cosmetically immaculate 400 and both of those are terrible options.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have a hawk gt sitting in my garage that I keep meaning to sell but never getting around to because I like it too much. I should just suck it up and get it listed instead of letting it rot unused and lonely

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dual sports are for having fun, not having fun -together-

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

I have a hawk gt sitting in my garage that I keep meaning to sell but never getting around to because I like it too much. I should just suck it up and get it listed instead of letting it rot unused and lonely

If you like it so much why don't you get it (and keep it) running and then actually ride it. You monster.

Comedy option- Drain all fluids and clean it up and put it on display next to the eames chair.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Might just be my personal experiences but I've never been that impressed with the old rotax single. Irritatingly complex yet low capacity cooling system, bizarre gigantic car style bucket tappets and they're always in a bike assembled like the enigma device with the worst imaginable packaging for every single little thing. Maybe if I'd experienced one outside of a BMW I'd feel differently.
Agreed, the F650 singles are not great bikes. More expensive and difficult to work on than a KLR, while riding about the same as a KLR.

[quote]
Protip: a BMW older than 10 years is ancient and 90% of them are rife with horrible PO neglect issues. I've only seen one or two working 90's ones and they were all the air cooled boxer variety and completely hosed cosmetically.
Disagreed. BMW owners on average are more conscientious than other bike owners, except perhaps Ducati or Harley owners. You're also making broad generalizations when I think you're just thinking about the F650. The F650 single is not a great bike. Most other BMWs made from 1970-2000ish will go 200k miles and if they haven't been taken care of it'll be obvious when you see them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Disagreed. BMW owners on average are more conscientious than other bike owners, except perhaps Ducati or Harley owners. You're also making broad generalizations when I think you're just thinking about the F650. The F650 single is not a great bike. Most other BMWs made from 1970-2000ish will go 200k miles and if they haven't been taken care of it'll be obvious when you see them.

Yeah ok we're definitely living in different situations cause the only tidy BMW's in my hood are the dental special late model GS and K bikes, anything with a smaller engine is inevitably owned by the grubbiest cunts alive.

Fwiw Harley and ducati owners are also mostly massively neglectful here as both of those things are bought by idiots desperate to look cool and maintenance is something that happens to other people. I've found that the more expensive the bike is, the less likely it is that it's been taken care of. The best bikes condition-wise are always the middle of the road Japanese bikes like hornets, verses etc where the owners have enough money to have something tidy but not enough to wantonly throw it away with neglect and stupidity.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

It is, I've seen triple digits on the WR, too, and they have about the same power as the DRZ.

The only thing I can think of is that hot sauce has the WR250*F*, or they are like 300 lbs.

Whoops missed this a few days ago. I have the WR250x model (the sumo) and most of the time it’s great. I70 is just high altitude and really steep grades.

Also, I’m swole af :cool:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I rode this Indian scout today. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2016-indian-scout-abs-7500/6369969502.html

It rides fine, but has a salvage title. The owner claims he bought it like that from PO who supposedly got sideswiped and then put new fairings on it. There are significant scratches on the pipes, tail lights, and some mild ones on the ignition bulge on the left side of the engine. My question to you, o wise goons, is what's a good offer for something like this?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pokie posted:

I rode this Indian scout today. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2016-indian-scout-abs-7500/6369969502.html

It rides fine, but has a salvage title. The owner claims he bought it like that from PO who supposedly got sideswiped and then put new fairings on it. There are significant scratches on the pipes, tail lights, and some mild ones on the ignition bulge on the left side of the engine. My question to you, o wise goons, is what's a good offer for something like this?

Even in that condition it still looks better than any Harley. You will get poo poo from insurance companies, it might be better to try to re-register it as a home build/custom (may not be allowed in your state, check the rules) . Id say 30 cents on the dollar of book value. I'd have the frame checked for straightness and would make sure it wasn't damaged, lest ye disintegrate after going over a big pothole at 70 mph.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crashbars are ghastly and need to go in the bin ASAP but I'd ride it. Pokie aren't you coming from an MV or somesuch? What made you go after a scout? Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

R-Type posted:

Even in that condition it still looks better than any Harley. You will get poo poo from insurance companies, it might be better to try to re-register it as a home build/custom (may not be allowed in your state, check the rules) . Id say 30 cents on the dollar of book value. I'd have the frame checked for straightness and would make sure it wasn't damaged, lest ye disintegrate after going over a big pothole at 70 mph.

No need for that in CA, salvage title is just a brand.

Do you really want a cruiser? I find them pretty garby to ride.