Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Is the AOC Agon AG271QG comparable to the Acer XB271HU, XB270HU, or the ASUS PG279Q ROG Swift?

Is AOC's QC higher than Acer or ASUS?

The AOC Agon AG271Q seems to use the same panel (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3) as the Acer XB270HU, so they should be pretty much equivalent. The Asus PB279Q has a slightly newer Optronics panel that I think is the same as in the XB271HU bmiprz (aka. XB271HUT), but not even TFTCentral (which is usually the authoritative source of all monitor wisdom) will give me a straight answer on that. The non-bmiprz version of the XB271HU has a different panel that is maybe the same as the one in the AG271Q and XB270HU, but it's hard to be certain.

QC, who knows? It's cheaper, so you might think not, but :iiam:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yar. The PG279Q is on sale now for $599 at MicroCenter. I promised myself I wouldn't play the panel lottery again, but that's a pretty solid price.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

TheFluff posted:

The AOC Agon AG271Q seems to use the same panel (AU Optronics M270DAN02.3) as the Acer XB270HU, so they should be pretty much equivalent. The Asus PB279Q has a slightly newer Optronics panel that I think is the same as in the XB271HU bmiprz (aka. XB271HUT), but not even TFTCentral (which is usually the authoritative source of all monitor wisdom) will give me a straight answer on that. The non-bmiprz version of the XB271HU has a different panel that is maybe the same as the one in the AG271Q and XB270HU, but it's hard to be certain.

QC, who knows? It's cheaper, so you might think not, but :iiam:

Thanks for the input. I would say that it definitely is a mystery, I've read so many different things online about how even though some of the models use the same panel that the QC is different across brands. It's kind of frustrating considering the price point at which these monitors are sold. I'm kind of wondering if at this point they just manufacture as many as they can and then take their chances with bad panels because the amount of returns doesn't exceed the profit they're making with people that don't notice/don't care.

Dangerllama posted:

Yar. The PG279Q is on sale now for $599 at MicroCenter. I promised myself I wouldn't play the panel lottery again, but that's a pretty solid price.

I saw that too, I'm curious as to whether or not they will lower the price further, or if other G-Sync monitors will go even lower on Friday.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is this a decent monitor for some light gaming on a GTX 1060?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

obi_ant posted:

25 is too small for ultra wide that is basically a 19in 16:9 but wide.

The 29 inch ultrawide is a 23 inch 16:9 but wide.

a 34 ultra is a 27 inch 16:9 but wide.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC4Z5CP9665

http://www.displaywars.com/20-inch-16x9-vs-25-inch-21x9

wargames fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 23, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Godammit. The second PG279Q has some noticeable bleed in the upper right corner. Trying to decide if I’m going to live with it or return this one too.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Godammit. The second PG279Q has some noticeable bleed in the upper right corner. Trying to decide if I’m going to live with it or return this one too.

Sisyphus buys a monitor.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm not sure to choose between bad QC vs picky customers but if I have to I will stand near the former.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I mean, I am pretty drat picky. But I brought up the bleed detector website and my wife responded “eww…there’s a bunch of light in the lower left corner. It’s pretty bad.”

It’s not detectable during normal use but any movies/games with dark content or loading screens and it sticks out.

Let’s assume for a moment that I just am the pickiest person who ever lived. How long until there’s a high refresh G-Sync IPS panel that has near-undetectable levels of bleed, similar to my several-year old Dell 27” 1080p IPS? One year? Wait for OLED in a few years?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 23, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Dangerllama posted:

Let’s assume for a moment that I just am the pickiest person who ever lived. How long until there’s a high refresh G-Sync IPS panel that has near-undetectable levels of bleed, similar to my several-year old Dell 27” 1080p IPS? One year? Wait for OLED in a few years?

Probably not until Dell makes one. They already have a 27" TN and a 34" IPS, so hopefully a 27" IPS is in the works. That said, my Acer X34 is pretty damned decent at it, so it's not an impossible dream.

OLED will, of course, fix all the problems, but it's been "a few years away" for like a decade now.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It looks to me like G-Sync has a pretty high premium. Ultra-wide 1080p, seems stupidly expensive.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 23, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ItBurns posted:

Sisyphus buys a monitor.

This is the baby shoes of monitor buying.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I actually gamed on that exact monitor (with a 1070.) It'd be fine actually driving it with a 1060 (WFHD is an extra 33% pixel count over FHD) but as wargames mentioned it's quite short. I upgraded to the 34" version of the same thing (which, as an ultra-wide is basically a widened 28" display) and have been happy with it (although the resolution becomes a bit low at that size.) The 25" is now attached to my secondary desktop/Plex server.

So you'd be fine driving that display with your 1060, and it's perfectly capable of gaming on (as long as your games support 21:9 resolutions,) but check the dimensions and make sure you're OK with that specific size.

Also note that with an ultra-wide, they're really only optimal for three things: watching widescreen movies, side-by-side dual-window multitasking, and playing compatible games (as above.) HD video is sub-optimal (you get pillarboxing) and Web browsing is pretty awful (again, due to that wasted space on the sides.)

Dangerllama posted:

I mean, I am pretty drat picky. But I brought up the bleed detector website and my wife responded “eww…there’s a bunch of light in the lower left corner. It’s pretty bad.”

It’s not detectable during normal use but any movies/games with dark content or loading screens and it sticks out.

You're totally within your rights to have high standards when you spend a lot of money on a product. The thing is, if the light bleed isn't an issue "during normal use" then you may be too picky. How bad is the bleed with dark content in movies and games? Bad enough to be distracting, or just something that you know is there and have OCD? The one thing that's not an issue is light bleed during loading screens, because that's a ridiculous thing to complain about. If your game loading times are excessive then there are bigger issues with your system because you're not supposed to sit there and stare at a loading screen. At least get up and stretch like you're supposed to, get a drink, etc. So if the light bleed's affecting actual usage then sure, exchange it; otherwise, it's not a big enough problem to worry about.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got my dell alienware monitor in today. Set it up for a test run before work and when I loaded up the witcher the left half of the screen kept flickering. Did it even with the display cables disconnected. I called dell to set up a return, but when I got home and turned it on the issue wasn't there. Any idea what that's about?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

I got my dell alienware monitor in today. Set it up for a test run before work and when I loaded up the witcher the left half of the screen kept flickering. Did it even with the display cables disconnected. I called dell to set up a return, but when I got home and turned it on the issue wasn't there. Any idea what that's about?

While I had a fairly similar display flickering/artifacting issue, I'm pretty sure it was just a bad cable. If your monitor is doing that with no video input and just power, it does indeed sound like a problem with the monitor itself. That may or may not be something resolvable with a firmware update. If the issue is intermittent, well, that complicates the troubleshooting process. :ohdear:

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
Is there anything horribly wrong with this monitor? https://slickdeals.net/f/10802063-lg-34cb88-p-34inch-curved-ips-ultrawide-qhd-monitor-530ac?src=catpagev2

I don't really game, so it would mostly be for programming and whatnot.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

insidius posted:

This is totally a real thing that I only just noticed and I am only at -7 with my eyes. I wonder if there is some way around this, then maybe I would stop looking at replacing my 34" Ultrawide for feeling "small".

Contact lenses. They don't (de)magnify your vision because the corrective lens sits on top of your eye instead of a few cm's away.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A couple new ASUS monitors heading our way:

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/asus-announces-two-new-rog-freesync-monitors/

Probably an IPS panel for the ~$800 Freesync one? Hopefully it has LFC.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

A couple new ASUS monitors heading our way:

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/asus-announces-two-new-rog-freesync-monitors/

Probably an IPS panel for the ~$800 Freesync one? Hopefully it has LFC.

They're both VA.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I actually gamed on that exact monitor (with a 1070.) It'd be fine actually driving it with a 1060 (WFHD is an extra 33% pixel count over FHD) but as wargames mentioned it's quite short. I upgraded to the 34" version of the same thing (which, as an ultra-wide is basically a widened 28" display) and have been happy with it (although the resolution becomes a bit low at that size.) The 25" is now attached to my secondary desktop/Plex server.

So you'd be fine driving that display with your 1060, and it's perfectly capable of gaming on (as long as your games support 21:9 resolutions,) but check the dimensions and make sure you're OK with that specific size.

Also note that with an ultra-wide, they're really only optimal for three things: watching widescreen movies, side-by-side dual-window multitasking, and playing compatible games (as above.) HD video is sub-optimal (you get pillarboxing) and Web browsing is pretty awful (again, due to that wasted space on the sides.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I think my problem is that I'm being very indecisive about what type of monitor to get. Something large and simple for $200 seems very appealing too. Here.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Is there anything horribly wrong with this monitor? https://slickdeals.net/f/10802063-lg-34cb88-p-34inch-curved-ips-ultrawide-qhd-monitor-530ac?src=catpagev2

I don't really game, so it would mostly be for programming and whatnot.

Nothing seems wrong with that monitor, other than the fact that it seems a bit expensive for just programming & dicking around or whatever.

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think my problem is that I'm being very indecisive about what type of monitor to get. Something large and simple for $200 seems very appealing too. Here.

It's IPS and cheap, but the resolution's very low for that size. Something like this would be more reasonable, keeping the same FHD resolution but trading total size for a higher refresh rate, which is good even if it's FreeSync instead of G-Sync.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A 970 utilizing G-Sync on a 1440p display will still be smooth. You won't be cracking 100Hz/100FPS+ on brand-new A-list titles, but you'll probably still be getting a buttery-smooth 30-60FPS with older titles (or higher if you turn down the eye candy). G-Sync helps out the most on underpowered configurations, because it goes to work the most noticeably when you drop under 60FPS.

You might consider *calling* Dell.ca and explaining to them the Best Buy price and ask them if they can do a sales override. Dell will haggle over the phone.

afaik isn’t a frame rate bouncing between 30 and 60 FPS going to feel a bit weird to play since the time for your inputs to show on the screen is constantly changing? you’re not going to get any tearing or stutter but a locked framerate is still going to be way better

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BurritoJustice posted:

They're both VA.

Lame! Thanks for the clarification, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Am I going to be sad if I drop a grand on a model of monitor that came out two years ago? Specifically, thinking about getting an acer predator x34, or an asus PG348Q. They seem to be specced and test almost identically. This will be driven by a gtx 1070.

Pros for me:
- g-sync: I think this is a requirement? I know it adds $300 vs a regular monitor or $200 vs a free-sync monitor, but that's what I'm working with. With the above card, should I skip this?
- IPS: Required. I'm willing to give up some amount of response time for vastly improved viewing angles, on account of not-just-for-gaming.
- 30"+: This is going on the very back (mounted on the wall) over a deep desk, like 30" deep, plus keyboard tray, and I want UW, so I'm aiming for 30 or higher. 34" looks pretty good to me.
- UW: I want that sweet ultra wide action. I grew up with the whole "OMG DUAL MONITORS?!" thing being strange and new, this is like that but without the annoyances of having two monitors.
- Curved: I'm not sure about the whole curved display thing, I haven't really played with them, but I feel like on a 21:9 monitor of that size, it could be very nice. There's a reason we didn't put our sweet multi-monitor rigs in a flat grid back in the day.

For context, I've just had my computers hooked up to my tv for, like, a decade now, so that's my baseline for performance. Not a real high bar. Only reason I'm switching is because now I have kids, I'm tired of competing for the TV just so I can use my computer. But every time I look at monitors, I get a bit overwhelmed and I end up shelving the decision for yet another six months. And honestly, based on the continual "just a few more months" promises from Acer, Samsung, etc., I'm tempted to just get a 30" tv to use for another six months until some of these alleged game changers come out, since I need the extra TV elsewhere anyhow.

My budget is...I dunno, I guess a grand max? I'd rather spend a lot less than that, as long as I'm not going to wish I'd spent an extra $300 six months down the road. Likewise, if adding a couple hundred to my budget totally changed the quality of product I got, okay. It's not really a fixed budget but I don't want to throw money down the drain.

Any thoughts or guidance?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Bad Munki posted:

Am I going to be sad if I drop a grand on a model of monitor that came out two years ago? Specifically, thinking about getting an acer predator x34, or an asus PG348Q. They seem to be specced and test almost identically. This will be driven by a gtx 1070.

From what I read/see the new Dell 34" offering is superior, you may wish to investigate that.

Gsync is good and will work with your card. Having a curve on these ultrawides is quite nice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

insidius posted:

From what I read/see the new Dell 34" offering is superior, you may wish to investigate that.

Gsync is good and will work with your card. Having a curve on these ultrawides is quite nice.

Are you talking about the alienware branded one? Wasn't sure if I'd be burning money on the alienware name there.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Bad Munki posted:

Are you talking about the alienware branded one? Wasn't sure if I'd be burning money on the alienware name there.

Correct. The specifications are solid, as are the reviews and I believe quite a few goons have picked one up. I also hear they are far better in the light bleed department than the Asus/Acer models and come in at a fairly solid price.

For reference, I own the Asus PG348Q and despite its light bleed issues its not a display I would move away from and G-SYNC really floats my boat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah that's the one to get. It uses a new panel that's capable of 120hz, whereas the Asus and Acer models are limited to 100hz.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, that one. It's the best of the 34" ultrawide gaming monitors, the $999 price is because it's on sale for $500 off currently, I'd snap one up ASAP.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got kinda spooked from that one on account of repeated complaints about a) the right side of the screen having a warm cast, and b) a dark/dim region along the top. Am I likely putting too much weight in negative reviews, or is the "panel lottery" I read about still a thing?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Bad Munki posted:

Am I likely putting too much weight in negative reviews, or is the "panel lottery" I read about still a thing?

Panel lottery is likely to be a thing regardless of which you go for but I can say from personal experience that I have had a horrid time on the Asus side, a friend of mine had real bad luck on the Acer side but I am hearing much improved stories on the alienware side.

Its all much of a muchness and you could make a return come worst comes to worst if the panel is unacceptable to you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bad Munki posted:

I got kinda spooked from that one on account of repeated complaints about a) the right side of the screen having a warm cast, and b) a dark/dim region along the top. Am I likely putting too much weight in negative reviews, or is the "panel lottery" I read about still a thing?

It's a panel lotto with any of the IPS gaming monitors, but Dell has the best QC of all of them and if there is a problem they will cross ship you a new one which is a lot more than can be said about Acer or Asus.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's probably mostly me being paranoid about ordering displays online. It's the one thing I like to buy from a brick & mortar location. Not like I get to lay eyes on the exact item I go home with beforehand either way, although it does make returns/replacements a lot easier. All righty, well, since I came across that one before and just let myself get psyched out, I guess I'll do it. Will post a trip report later I guess. :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Atomizer posted:

It's IPS and cheap, but the resolution's very low for that size. Something like this would be more reasonable, keeping the same FHD resolution but trading total size for a higher refresh rate, which is good even if it's FreeSync instead of G-Sync.

Is Specture a good brand? I’ve never even heard of them. I think I’m leaning towards not getting an ultra-wide as I’m thinking I’m not going to be heavily gaming.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Is Specture a good brand? I’ve never even heard of them. I think I’m leaning towards not getting an ultra-wide as I’m thinking I’m not going to be heavily gaming.

I had also never heard about Scepter before today. :) If you want "cheap" you have to either sacrifice features/quality or go with an off-brand. If it makes you feel any better "Scepter" may just be a re-brand of components you could find in other, better-known brands, and it's not like it costs a ton of money (although there are certainly other options.)

Ultra-wide can still be useful for movies and multitasking, even if you don't intend to game on it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Ultrawide is arguably best for productivity since a fair number of games and many movies and TV shows are restricted to 16:9, If you need to fit three to four documents on screen at once and have it still be readable ultrawide is the way to go.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I can say about the dell alienware that other than the issue I mentioned before it's a great monitor, and when I called about the issue I was having they threw in a $50 discount and are shipping me an expedited replacement. If you have a problem don't go through the online chat, that csr was pretty useless.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The ability to extend the warranty on the Dell/Alienware to five years (rather cheaply, I might add) which covers dead pixels also puts a pretty big check in the "pro" column. Really the only thing stopping the 34" AW from being perfect is the lack of ULMB. HDR is nice but honestly I've never liked my monitors super bright.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The ability to extend the warranty on the Dell/Alienware to five years (rather cheaply, I might add) which covers dead pixels also puts a pretty big check in the "pro" column.

Does that mean dead pixels are covered by the initial 3-year warranty as well? I mean, I should probably read it, but I'm just so historically jaded by warranty coverage that I generally don't consider it as a factor when picking a product. If Dell's is generous to the customer, that'd be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bad Munki posted:

Does that mean dead pixels are covered by the initial 3-year warranty as well? I mean, I should probably read it, but I'm just so historically jaded by warranty coverage that I generally don't consider it as a factor when picking a product. If Dell's is generous to the customer, that'd be fantastic.

Let me put it this way - a few years ago I very stupidly crushed a thrip that had made its way between the panel and the substrate, creating a smudge that looked like a cluster of dead pixels. I had not bought my 2412M originally from Dell, but when I contacted Dell, mere weeks from the original three year warranty expiring, they didn't hesitate to send me a replacement, even though it wasn't a dead pixel and was caused by my sheer stupidity and bad judgment.