Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If they were any good they wouldn't have to piggyback off of an existing meme for free publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What bugs me is that - if you just take the most recent episode as an example - they claim to have met someone whose story changed their perspective on the central character, but all of the details in her story aren’t relevant in any way. Everything she has to say about him - he lives somewhere - he has some money - he is friendly but distant - are completely vague. Take out all the irrelevant details and the story falls apart completely. She was friends with a weird guy until she found out he was weird and ghosted him. For some reason she feels bad that she was friends with him? It’s not really a story, and doesn’t really make sense.

This is what most people’s lies are like - there’s always too much color in the wrong places, and none where there should be. Actual writing is supposed to be better than this. Because the writer should be aware of what’s relevant and interesting in the story, whereas a person who is lying is simply using color to mislead.

Every character in the show has been like this. They all seemed so full of poo poo it didn’t even occur to me they might not be real people.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

bad day posted:

What bugs me is that - if you just take the most recent episode as an example - they claim to have met someone whose story changed their perspective on the central character, but all of the details in her story aren’t relevant in any way. Everything she has to say about him - he lives somewhere - he has some money - he is friendly but distant - are completely vague. Take out all the irrelevant details and the story falls apart completely. She was friends with a weird guy until she found out he was weird and ghosted him. For some reason she feels bad that she was friends with him? It’s not really a story, and doesn’t really make sense.

This is what most people’s lies are like - there’s always too much color in the wrong places, and none where there should be. Actual writing is supposed to be better than this. Because the writer should be aware of what’s relevant and interesting in the story, whereas a person who is lying is simply using color to mislead.

Every character in the show has been like this. They all seemed so full of poo poo it didn’t even occur to me they might not be real people.

Yeah. It's felt very flat, like the producers were really grasping at straws. Reuben's reaction to his partner going missing is utterly unbelievable. Where are the police?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I've been on another hondo kick recently which somehow lead me to this blog:

The story of TRAINING.bsp

I'm wondering if this is a fan fiction or what. Is TRAINING.bsp real?

e: welp

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We've come full circle at last.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That's wonderful :3:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a good story, but one thing always bugged me about it. Can't bungalows have more than one floor?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Yeah I think they lived in a bungalow is a weird thing to remember about someone. I liked one poster's suggestion of something along the lines of his mom was already deceased.

Still though, had me going for a minute.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ultrabay2000 posted:

Today I give thanks for this post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Bungalows are usually a single floor and maybe a converted small attic above that can serve as a bedroom.

Plus it's simply something that is noticeable in some areas, the same way you'd remark on what color the house was. Of course in other places they're so common you wouldn't think about someone as specifically living in one.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Randalor posted:

It's a good story, but one thing always bugged me about it. Can't bungalows have more than one floor?

What really bugged me is how the final post apologizes for resurrecting the blog after so much time has passed... when it was posted on the same day as the previous post.

I feel like I still don't totally understand what there is to be scared of? Like there's a fine line between blast processed hyper realistic skeletons and keeping too much secret, and I think this went a bit too far in the other direction. Still a good story though, was fun to reread it after so long.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Otana posted:

What really bugged me is how the final post apologizes for resurrecting the blog after so much time has passed... when it was posted on the same day as the previous post.

I feel like I still don't totally understand what there is to be scared of? Like there's a fine line between blast processed hyper realistic skeletons and keeping too much secret, and I think this went a bit too far in the other direction. Still a good story though, was fun to reread it after so long.

Someone went missing without a trace playing the map, and then they showed up again trying to lure people into following them, with a clear sign that it wasn't them, but probably the game trying to do... whatever it does to more people.

At least, if I read it right.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ultrabay2000 posted:

I really really liked this! It resonated with me like, too much though. If I changed the names, short of finding training.bsp this was exactly the story of my clan. God, remember the half life chat room mega spam? It really was all about writing style back then.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

bungalow is simply too funny of a word

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

chiasaur11 posted:

Someone went missing without a trace playing the map, and then they showed up again trying to lure people into following them, with a clear sign that it wasn't them, but probably the game trying to do... whatever it does to more people.

I understand the narrative, just "a guy maybe disappeared somehow?" wasn't quite enough to send a chill down my spine.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

chiasaur11 posted:

That's interesting. I didn't read it as the game having any kind of agency in and of itself, but that somebody outside of the group knew about them playing it, and was trying to lure them back for purposes unknown.
The creep factor was just the idea of having this stalker figure in the background of their lives without any of them realizing it, and whether or not this person was tied to whoever designed the level, or the ex-leader of the group, or whatever happened to h0nk, are just details for your mind to make vague, sinister assumptions about

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I was more into the mystery of the map itself- not in the "haunted video game" sense, just this idea of finding the end and unlocking its secrets, and the sense that something more sinister is going on.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
h0nk lived in a bungalow, where ben drowned candice newmaker

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The world really needs more Hondo-like maps.

Maybe just without the gore, though.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Part of what makes the Hondo maps so interesting is that the puzzle bits are completely out of the way with almost no mention of them. Nobody would ever find it unless they stumbled on it through crazy chance. Maps like AHL_5am couldn't even be opened to find the secrets, because it would just crash the map editor. It's a lot harder to pull that sort of thing off these days, and datamining is inevitable.

Just as well, when most people put that much effort into something, they want it to be noticed generally. You'd see that sort of thing with the Battlefield games for example, noted puzzle-solvers were given hints by the devs just to have any chance of finding or solving them. That's not inherently a bad thing, though.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Or you have devs thinking they're far more clever than they are, like the Braid devs claiming there was a "secret hidden meaning" and people quickly pointed out it was about the Manhattan Project and the devs were like "nope didn't guess it" when that was clearly what it was.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did he ever specifically say that it wasn't the Manhattan Project meaning, or just weasel-word around the subject?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Is that similar to what happened with Petscop dropping off the face of the planet after people honed in on the connections?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Petscop pause (if it is a pause) could also be they were taken by surprise by the videos' success and needed time to step up their game. Using a custom made game as the support, no matter how barebones it is, doesn't really allow for fast iteration times, especially if it's only one person behind it.

Although I could believe the Petscop guy(s) may be taken by surprise by people making the newmaker connection despite how you can find it just through a quick google because Petscop, for all its goodness, seems like an amateur project, I have more trouble believing the same for Braid, because the Manhattan Project thing is outright spelt out in-game, also with an eminently googlable quote, which would make it easier to find than the non-secret, "main quest" meaning. It just seems weird in a game involving so much lateral thinking. Though on the other hand I could buy the way The Witness borrows every trick in Jim Crawford's book to such great effect being a reaction to Braid's secret being figured out too fast.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 25, 2017

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Or you have devs thinking they're far more clever than they are, like the Braid devs claiming there was a "secret hidden meaning" and people quickly pointed out it was about the Manhattan Project and the devs were like "nope didn't guess it" when that was clearly what it was.

It's ridiculous to say it's "about" the Manhattan Project. The Manhattan Project is one facet of the epilogue. If there is a total meaning, it is something wider, of which the Manhattan Project is used as an example.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Akumu posted:

It's ridiculous to say it's "about" the Manhattan Project. The Manhattan Project is one facet of the epilogue. If there is a total meaning, it is something wider, of which the Manhattan Project is used as an example.

Yeah I always took the quote more as being against the high school English class "[x] symbolizes [y] which means [z] and that is the One Objective Correct Interpretation" school of approaching media consumption than denying that the atomic bomb was referenced.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But the witness is about nothing more than all the farts Jonathan Blow huffed while making it. :colbert:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does he still get in random slapfights all over the internet with anyone who misinterprets his "artistic vision"?

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Sailor Dave posted:

Part of what makes the Hondo maps so interesting is that the puzzle bits are completely out of the way with almost no mention of them. Nobody would ever find it unless they stumbled on it through crazy chance. Maps like AHL_5am couldn't even be opened to find the secrets, because it would just crash the map editor. It's a lot harder to pull that sort of thing off these days, and datamining is inevitable.
The map can be opened, actually. As far as I can tell, the problem was that the map was so expansive that, without a high-end computer (comparative to the era of release, of course) it would just outright crash the editor. But it's not like Hondo booby-trapped the filed or something.

Regardining TRAINING.bsp, that's actually one of my favorite 'haunted video game' stories. I never got the feeling it was written for the purpose of actually scaring the reader, just building up a mystery and the atmosphere... and keeping it within the realm of reasonable plausibility, especially because it was mostly based on things actually witnessed in a Hondo map. Plus:

Cubone posted:

The creep factor was just the idea of having this stalker figure in the background of their lives without any of them realizing it, and whether or not this person was tied to whoever designed the level, or the ex-leader of the group, or whatever happened to h0nk, are just details for your mind to make vague, sinister assumptions about
This, definitely.

Nothing to necessarily be 'scared' of, but it's a well-told story.

Even if it uses the word 'bungalow'.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

NonsenseWords posted:

it's not like Hondo booby-trapped the filed or something.
On the other hand it's worth noting he set up visibility triggers so you couldn't just noclip in-game and see the hidden stuff. Sectors would only appear once you did the right action to unlock them. That's pretty neat.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 26, 2017

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

just read TRAINING.BSP and it had me getting all nostalgic for Sven Co-op outsider art, or those death match maps where you could be goku

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

what's the state of that scene these days? Weird little indie games on itch.io? Some FPS I don't play because it came out after 2006?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Peanut Butler posted:

Weird little indie games on itch.io?
this isn't an answer to your question, but everybody should be playing kitty horrorshow and arcane kids in any event

000000FF0000 borders on thread appropriate- it's a game that doesn't want you to play it, down to the executable being buried so deep in a hosed up filepath that you might not even be able to run it unless you extract it

Cubone fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, much like how Flash games died when iOS became a thing, most of the people who would have been really hardcore modders can now just make their own poo poo just as easily with things like Unity or independent UE4 licenses. I'm sure in an alternate universe something like Pony Island would be a deeply hidden secret in a custom Halo map or something instead of a standalone Unity game that the dude could profit off of.

Cubone posted:

this isn't an answer to your question, but everybody should be playing kitty horrorshow and arcane kids in any event

I thought that their Bubsy game was kind of underwhelming after all the hyper + I played Frog Fractions first which did the same job better, but Sonic Dreams Collection is legitimately a brilliant piece of art. Like there's no jump scares of anything but it successfully uses how weird and fetishistic the Sonic fandom is to do its own thing is horrifying in the best way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, much like how Flash games died when iOS became a thing

Now this is a video game hoax. Flash games were still big well into 2012-2013 even though iPhones first came out in 2007. And the sites hosting them like Newgrounds usualyl hit their peak traffic sometime around 2010 or 2011.

Even after that there was a sizable amount of web content still being done in flash up til like 2 years back.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

NonsenseWords posted:

The map can be opened, actually. As far as I can tell, the problem was that the map was so expansive that, without a high-end computer (comparative to the era of release, of course) it would just outright crash the editor. But it's not like Hondo booby-trapped the filed or something.

This was a thing in warcraft 3, you could mess with the map file format and cause it to only be read by the game and not the editor. It briefly became popular towards the end of the mapping community's lifespan as a way to stop DIRTY THIEVES from copying code from your map, at the cost of you not being able to update your map again if you lost the original files(this was before backups became as commonly available as they are now) and also slammed the door hard on any new map makers who wanted to check out how everybody else had done thing thing, as one is wont to do when learning a new skill so it pretty much caused the end of the warcraft 3 custom map scene and left us with an eternity of only dota/legion td/etc.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dick Burglar posted:

When the Fable Telltale game was in the middle of it's episodic release (Wolf Among Us), people speculated pretty quickly about the mystery of what was going on. There is a theory that the public solved the mystery so thoroughly, the developers actually went in and changed everything last minute in the remaining episodes so that it would still be a surprise. And that would explain the total wet-fart of an ending and numerous red herrings and forgotten plot points.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of fables I could have sworn there was a preview of a next episode showing that Frau Totenkinder was going to be in it, before they made all the changes. Now I can't find any evidence of this preview existing.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Neito posted:

I forget what Wing Commander it was (I think IV?) but they couldn't get EMM386 to stop crashing at the end. It was an entirely harmless crash that didn't harm anything, so rather than track down the bug, the edited the binary of EMM386 to say "Thanks for playing Wing Commander IV!"
Origin more than anybody else had me jumping through hoops to play their games back then. More and more, games coming out made the end of the games we'd play in DOS would nearly require third-party memory managers. Ultima VII used its own special snowflake memory manager, and for Part 2 I had to chase down alternative low calorie drivers for mouse and audio card to ensure enough upper memory was open to even run the game.

Ultima IX I guess would be something of a hoax in that they tore down what they had of their game to build another one. Of course, each iteration could have been even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

When the Fable Telltale game was in the middle of it's episodic release (Wolf Among Us), people speculated pretty quickly about the mystery of what was going on. There is a theory that the public solved the mystery so thoroughly, the developers actually went in and changed everything last minute in the remaining episodes so that it would still be a surprise. And that would explain the total wet-fart of an ending and numerous red herrings and forgotten plot points.

What was the suspected intended mystery and what we got, then?