Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't like the implication that an rear end in a top hat genius is something to be encouraged and welcomed.

Seriously, it's a trope I'd be happy to see taken behind the shed and shot - that geniuses have a right to be assholes or that its a consequence of being smart and above the little people. And conversely, a lot of loving assholes think they're geniuses who don't need to deal with time-wasting and inefficient activities such as decency and respect because they think that being a dick and being smart is the same loving thing.

And a Genius rear end in a top hat is the kind who gives zero fucks that companies building their stuff require suicide nets, or that the main core of their company is a stressfilled nightmare where employees are encouraged to snitch on others for not putting in 90+ hours a week, even if they're on vacation. Or the type that think it's okay to video conference naked because they just had such a great idea while showering and don't care if their staff doesn't want to see his woody.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Here’s a thought. If there’s real accountability for doing creepy poo poo a lot of these guys will keep it in their pants out of rational self interest which will let us enjoy their work without having to overlook a string of sexual assaults.

In other words if you really value the contributions these guys make then fix the culture so we don’t need to purge them in the first place.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Alright which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/933345649508147201

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and studies shown employees are way more productive if they're happy, and the quickest way to knock that down is having a trash fire of a boss. There's an old saying: People don't quit jobs, they quit management.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

21 Muns posted:

I'm having a hard time seeing how you're missing the point this hard. Yes, Walt was an rear end in a top hat too. The movies weren't worth it. It's time for that era to end.

:ironicat:

lol "those movies" -- in both cases -- literally created the art form we're discussing in this thread. Walt's studio codified the way a traditionally animated feature film was made in the first part of the 20th century and there's a very clear though-line to Pixar creating the first 3D feature-length animated film at the end of the 20th century.

They were certainly flawed men of the eras to which they belonged, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. The thing worth keeping, and what I dare suggest Pixar has been missing these last several years, is someone with a vision for the studio itself in the long term, not just a vision for the films they produce. Both Disney and Jobs built more than just studios, they built institutions that formed the foundations of an industry.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't like the implication that an rear end in a top hat genius is something to be encouraged and welcomed.

The only "genius" Jobs had with respect to Pixar was not micromanaging it and trusting the creative people they put in charge wrt the process of making animated movies. That's something that has to be fought for and he was the right type of crazy rear end in a top hat to fight for it at the time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Genius Assholes are the reason why so many industries are nightmarish hellholes to work in.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So what value do you place on the happiness of your fellow human beings? How many good movies is the lovely work life of hundreds of people worth?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

paradoxGentleman posted:

So what value do you place on the happiness of your fellow human beings? How many good movies is the lovely work life of hundreds of people worth?

But what if knowing that suffering was involved in something you now get to consume is part of the enjoyment? You know, like eating veal or foie gras.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yes, the takeaway from all these rapists being cast into the light is that we should bar stubborn assholes from working on things we like, or for that matter, anyone who's ever done a remotely bad thing

this isn't a hollering loving insane thing to take away from this situation at all

e: to be less glib, there are degrees of assholery and someone being kind of a stubborn dick is a really, really stupid reason to cancel them compared to the people who have actually done horrible things

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Genius Assholes are the reason why so many industries are nightmarish hellholes to work in.

That’s why I’m excited for Elementary to come back, a great show and the only one that seems to be about breaking down this idea and expressing it’s the assholes job to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't answer that for anyone else, but for me it was 0, which is why I left that industry years ago. FWIW the lovely work life of people in animation is bigger than any one person or company can account for.

I can also tell you that the most debaucherous poo poo I've seen in my life, professional or otherwise, was during those years.

And third, and I'm not sure how I can be any clearer about this: it is my opinion that Pixar needs someone at the top fighting for the creative independence of the studio--and that's their main job. Jobs, for all his faults, really keyed into the idea that the best way to make movies is to create the space for creative people to be creative without giving them enough slack to hang themselves. He was the right guy for that job in the late 20th century, Pixar could sure use someone like that again, but with a 21st century skill set.

With Lasseter taking leave, they should take the opportunity to split his job in 2 again: promote Docter to the lead creative role and bring in someone else from outside Emeryville or WDAS to focus on building what the studio will be in 10 years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Vanity Fair has a new Hive article about Pixar’s issue, can’t seem to grab the link on my phone, can someone help me here?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pick posted:

Vanity Fair has a new Hive article about Pixar’s issue, can’t seem to grab the link on my phone, can someone help me here?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/disney-pixar-john-lasseter-leave-allegations

There you go. Now you got to go finish your Brave Little Toaster thing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

That’s why I’m excited for Elementary to come back, a great show and the only one that seems to be about breaking down this idea and expressing it’s the assholes job to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

I noticed a lot how people seem to miss the point that a lot of the smart assholes - Rick especially - are the engineers of their own suffering, and are really terrible, awful people to be around and NOT to be admired.

I remember when that stupid sauce fiasco happened that lot of the fans calling the morons screaming about Pickle Ricks and trying to jump the counter to search for sauce calling everyone involved Jerrys and someone just fired off a killer reply I feel most Rick and Morty fans are going to ignore:

"They're not Jerrys, they're Ricks, they're people who put more value in useless poo poo than other human beings because they think they're somehow the only people who know what's real. I'd rather be Jerry - he may be a loser, but he's a loser that's actually happy with his life and doesn't push everyone away to be a miserable sadsack or drive five hours to a McDonalds to prove some kind of asinine point."

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am neither a genius nor an rear end in a top hat - my rear end in a top hat, however, is a genius of the highest order, and it's working on an animated feature film about emotions

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hahahaha

that vanity fair article posted:

The environment, created by men who had been more successful drawing women than dating them, alienated some women trying to break into animation.
nice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Vanity Fair is the last bastion of quality journalism almost anywhere. I can only hope Graydon Carter's successor is as good.

The last two articles (one about the US Department of Energy, the other about the US Department of Agriculture) by Michael Lewis (who wrote The Big Short) are phenomenal.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i read the one about the usda, it was pretty great - i didn't realise there was one for energy by the same writer so am googling it as we speak

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's some random favorites of mine:

Andrew Caspersen, the man who had it all until--
An elite boarding school's dark secrets.
The New York intelligentsia pick a fight that ends in an inflatable lobster.
Graydon Carter called out the Iraq War in 2003. “The war in Iraq is not a minor scandal; it may well prove to be the biggest scandal in American politics in the last hundred years.” He is right.
Monica Lewinsky writes an article about being one of the most disdained people in the world.
Robert Durst, mega-multi-millionaire heir, destroys his life for vanity and the question remains how many he murdered... directly.
The fat old Backstreet Boy you never knew was paid as a member of the band, and why he was eventually arrested abroad, and the airplanes he did not own.
A selfish laser beauty technician cover his tracks and destroys any life in his path.
Valeant Pharmecueticals: the sordid economics of drug pricing in the USA.

And since it's the animation thread, their article on the DuckTales theme.

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 23, 2017

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
For whoever asked about Chris Sanders, he's apparently doing a Jungle Book-esque Call of the Wild adaptation for Fox.

In refreshing news that doesn't have anything to do with sexual harassment or assault, here's the trailer for Smallfoot, Warner Animation's next movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYwnlcjnDU

To me it looks precisely as inoffensive yet unexciting as Storks.

There's also an Honest Trailer about Emoji Movie and a CinemaSins about Cars 3 but as someone who believes Honest Trailers and Cinemasins are worse than The Emoji Movie (and I saw Emoji on opening night) I refuse to watch or link them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Storks was fuckin great, I'll defend that movie to my death :colbert:

Something about the voices in that trailer though is really weird. They sounded like they were re-recoreded after animating or something.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Robindaybird posted:

"They're not Jerrys, they're Ricks, they're people who put more value in useless poo poo than other human beings because they think they're somehow the only people who know what's real. I'd rather be Jerry - he may be a loser, but he's a loser that's actually happy with his life and doesn't push everyone away to be a miserable sadsack or drive five hours to a McDonalds to prove some kind of asinine point."

To be fair, Jerry is absolutely the kind of person who would drive 5 hours to a McDonalds to prove an asinine point, if failing to prove that point called his masculinity or position of importance in the household into question. While it's true that Jerry is able to maintain a sense of peace and happiness by being an idiot who doesn't waste all of his time obsessing over things he can't change, he is just as much the source of his own misery through his attempts to maintain the status quo. He's an exaggeration of the sitcom dad, except that instead of being the family's highest authority, he's a loser whose family is barely able to tolerate him.

But it also looks like his experience being separated from Beth and the kids is going to spur some character growth, depending on how things go next season. If he does find himself in a role that supports his family rather than trying to pretend he's their superior, he'll be way ahead of Rick, who has barely changed at all over the course of 3 seasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CRINDY posted:

In refreshing news that doesn't have anything to do with sexual harassment or assault, here's the trailer for Smallfoot, Warner Animation's next movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYwnlcjnDU

To me it looks precisely as inoffensive yet unexciting as Storks.

Those aren't yetis, they're wampas. :argh:

Also "LittleFoot" would have been a much better name but I guess The Land Before Time burned that for other animation films. Also there's an "actual" sasquatch called Little Foot and I guess they may have wanted to avoid a copyright challenge from a weirdo bigfoot hunter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So apparently the 21 goddamn minutes Olaf short will play before Coco in the US

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Wonder if theaters here will pull it too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean I'm just thinking about those poor parents when finally li'l Makayla and Tiphany finally put away all the Frozen poo poo and songs and gently caress they're bringing it back again

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also 20 minutes extra in the showing time, that probably messes up with so many people's schedules

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I saw Coco yesterday and yeah the Frozen short makes the runtime really long. Movie started at 11 am and we were out at 1:30, that is a long time for a kid’s movie!

I’m not much of a movie critic but here’s my thoughts:

The Frozen short was suuuuper young, which I guess is inevitable when it focuses on Olaf who talks like a 4 year old. It was a strange contrast with Coco which had a lot more subtle things going on. There was at least one “joke” that was a complete rehash of a joke from the original Frozen, that I guess was supposed to be funny because it was a reference? That’s kind of what I mean about it being clearly meant for 4 year olds. I’m certain 4 year old me would have found that very funny.

I really really liked Coco and would watch it again. Miguel was awesome and as a musician I really appreciated that everyone actually played their instruments correctly and that the music matched their playing (you’d be surprised how often that is not the case, even in movies about musicians). I loved that (very early in the movie) Miguel was using the old De La Cruz movies to learn guitar by watching his fingers move, and then the camera hung out on Miguel’s fingers for a while too, so that someone like Miguel could also use Coco to learn guitar.

Overall, the plot was a bit predictable - my husband literally called it in the first 20 minutes - but that didn’t ruin any enjoyment for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was Coco advertised at all? The first commercials I've seen for it were today. I was probably aware Pixar had something coming out but that's it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's been advertised pretty heavily.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Was Coco advertised at all? The first commercials I've seen for it were today. I was probably aware Pixar had something coming out but that's it.

Last time I went to Guitar Center a few weekends ago the front of the store right near the entrance was dominated by a big stack of Coco-branded guitars. That was the only real promotion I'd seen for the movie, but as someone without kids and who goes out of their way to not see ads I'm hardly the best judge.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've seen ads on tv about as often as most other Pixar movies.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Saw Coco around 6PM EST today. It was very, very good. A little predictable and contrived at points, but I'm not gonna hold that against it too much. Plenty of fun action sequences, well-timed humor and the usual Pixar tear jerkers.

Really, my only real gripe at the moment is:

Desperado Bones posted:

Btw, the dog and the guitar are those two things that it bothered me it was never explained. Why was the guitar magical? WHYYYY?
Seriously, that bugged me. Why did touching the guitar allow him to enter the Land of the Dead, exactly? The film implies part of it has to do with Miguel running off with Mama Imelda's photograph, but other than that, it's just a big Deus Ex Machina.

(While I'm rereading your posts, the Frida Kahlo jokes were somewhat lost on me, sorry to say. I just took it as a self-absorbed artist doing weird art, which was still amusing enough in its own context.)

...Also, I don't think I heard John Ratzenberger once. Looking it up, no, he's still in there (what Pixar movie is he not in?), but hell if I noticed.

The Frozen short sure was a thing. I'd been informed it was being made as an ABC Christmas Special that they decided to elevate to direct-to-DVD and also run in front of Coco, and yeah, it feels like it. Was inoffensive enough, songs were okay, plot twist fits into the first film's lore fairly well but otherwise was a bit silly.

As for trailers:
  • The one for the Gnomeo and Juliet sequel was painful, and makes me glad I never watched the first one. Somehow they got Johnny Depp for this? I recall hearing the guy was in hot water, but he must really be slipping.
  • Duck Duck Goose looked kind of "eh". Frankly my biggest reaction was noticing the rice fields everywhere, confirming my suspicions on the last screen with the company names that a Chinese company was indeed involved. I guess FFXIV: Stormblood is vaguely educational after all.
  • I dig the work done on the Peter Rabbit models but the actual film doesn't look like it'll do much for me.
  • John Cena is Ferdinand? Not sure how I missed that being a thing until today.
  • Dunno what to make of Little Foot. It's a thing!
  • Actually caught the Incredibles 2 trailer from this. I'll just echo the sentiment that it seems weird to focus the movie on the little kid having powers, when they already focused a short on that (also to support the panicked phone calls from the babysitter depicted in the film proper). But hey, I liked the first, maybe this'll be alright; Pixar's sequels have been a little all over the place but generally on the upper end of the quality spectrum (Toy Story's sequels, Finding Dory, Cars 3) as opposed to the lower end (Cars 2). (I'm not sure where Monsters University fits on this spectrum. It was okay? I think the ones in the "good" category were much better than it, though, but I can't in good faith lump it in with Cars 2.)
  • A Wrinkle in Time isn't an animated film, but that sure is a film adaptation that is gonna exist. I swear people had to read that book at my high school - for everyone's English classes except mine. Up there with The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird as classic literature read in everyone's high school English classes except the ones I attended. Can't explain it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Shadow Hog posted:

• A Wrinkle in Time isn't an animated film, but that sure is a film adaptation that is gonna exist. I swear people had to read that book at my high school - for everyone's English classes except mine. Up there with The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird as classic literature read in everyone's high school English classes except the ones I attended. Can't explain it.

You're not alone. Instead of the weird book with witches and two-dimensional space and whatever else, I got to read Of Mice and Men, A Separate Peace, and Lord of the Flies in both 7th and 8th grade thanks to a curriculum shuffle, then went back to Lord of the Flies a third time Freshman year. By then, I was hoping someone would crush me with a boulder too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Inkspot posted:

You're not alone. Instead of the weird book with witches and two-dimensional space and whatever else, I got to read Of Mice and Men, A Separate Peace, and Lord of the Flies in both 7th and 8th grade thanks to a curriculum shuffle, then went back to Lord of the Flies a third time Freshman year. By then, I was hoping someone would crush me with a boulder too.

I had the same experience as yours, but had to read A Wrinkle in Time instead of Lord of the Flies. Everything else identical, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I definitely had to read Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies (albeit only the one time, not three times over), though A Separate Peace doesn't ring a bell (and the Wikipedia summary basically confirms I'd never heard of it until now).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Shadow Hog posted:

(While I'm rereading your posts, the Frida Kahlo jokes were somewhat lost on me, sorry to say. I just took it as a self-absorbed artist doing weird art, which was still amusing enough in its own context.)

In my country most people are tired of Frida,Like exhausted. She has been elevated in to idol status, like she is the one and only mexican cultural "icon" (while ignoring better artists), and is a very marketable figure nowadays, so far I wouldn't be surprised if her face ended stamped on bean cans. I mean...I've stumble with girls dressed up at her on a walk to the mall. So most of us were in loving stitches at her being represented that way, a pretentious artist with some weird ideas. .

And yes, the Frozen short felt like a direct to DVD thing, or...like a random episode of a saturday morning cartoon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just saw it; it was really good. While some beats were predictable, they were done well, and I'd say it was the best movie they've put out since their golden age from a few years ago when they had a winning streak which was broken by Cars 2. It didn't have any of the problems I was worried about based on the most recent couple of Pixar films (was worried it would be bland, or that they'd include a lot of unnecessary slapstick). Honestly, the Frozen short was the biggest problem with the film.

Shadow Hog posted:

Really, my only real gripe at the moment is:
Seriously, that bugged me. Why did touching the guitar allow him to enter the Land of the Dead, exactly? The film implies part of it has to do with Miguel running off with Mama Imelda's photograph, but other than that, it's just a big Deus Ex Machina.

The guitar isn't magical; the guy in the office quite explicitly says that it's because he's cursed, since on Dia de Muertos, he took from the dead instead of giving them something.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Coco was really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So apparently there's a Trolls holiday special on TV tonight? Why did no one tell me? Pick?? :mad:

Although watching the preview/first 4 minutes on youtube, they reverted Branch back to his muted colors for some reason? The character himself hasn't been reverted beyond that

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 25, 2017