Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

empty whippet box posted:

Yet another pervert Philip Seymour Hoffman never got to portray in a movie.

Definitely not looking forward to finding out about all the beloved dead celebrities of 2016 who were also unrepentant rape monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

KingNastidon posted:

Zero, as far as I can remember. What does that have to do with anything?

You know fuckall about the real world because you have been too chickenshit to ever leave your privileged bubble. There are fundamental aspects of the human experience and human behavior that you have no concept of because you have never known any deprivation. That is something that those of us in this thread who know a bit about suffering can see clearly in your thinking; you are incredibly naive and have the particular arrogance that is only sustained by a life of uninterrupted abundance. You are also deeply insecure about the slightest of perceived criticisms because you don;'t know anything about what actual pain or persecution is like.

Hey, you asked and I answered.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Are you qualifying this as during or post Byzantine

During.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Vladimir Putin posted:

Here’s a question a net neutrality. Let’s say net neutrality gets abolished and ISPs get to prioritize or deprioritize sites and charge more for some. Can’t you just bypass it all by using an encrypted VPN? Nobody will be able to tell what sites you are using.

Yes and no. Yes it may work in the short term. In the long term, there is nothing stopping them from throttling all encrypted network traffic.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

KingNastidon posted:

I went to a pretty good college, but not certainly not what I'd consider elite. I'm speaking from my experience in my science/business-focused career where I've interacted with probably 100+ people within my own company, consultants, etc that went to ivy league or similar level colleges. Many of them pretty obviously came from affluent/privileged backgrounds, or at least more so than myself. While not ALWAYS the case, these people are ON AVERAGE more intelligent and dedicated than those from "lesser" schools including my own, much less those with zero formal education. Someone with a Cornell engineering degree and Harvard MBA may very well be a trust fund dumbass, but it is certainly less likely than your average person. This was the original argument being made.

It's totally cool to complain about ivy admission factors, legacy admission, and general wealth/affluence that enables someone to obtain that Cornell engineering degree and Harvard MBA than your average person. I just don't understand what you hope to gain by broadly demeaning every individual that falls under that umbrella rather than their life choices and moral/political positions outside of the university they attended.

The quote you replied to was "turns out well educated, powerful, wealthy, and well connected people aren't much smarter than folks who have none of those advantages. often dumber".

The reply you made was "While you can rightfully bemoan the numerous advantages many attendees of elite/ivy colleges often have, they're almost always more intelligent or at least "harder-working" in the white collar sense than your average person. "

1. You have confused "attendees of elite schools" with "well-educated, powerful, wealthy, and well-connected people". These two circles overlap but are not the same. Specifically, many smart people who attend elite schools do not then go on to achieve power, wealth, and connections.

Do you agree that not all Harvard graduates are powerful, wealthy, and well-connected? (I agree that enough Harvard graduates are well-educated that you can generalize them as such.) Do you agree that a statement that is meant to apply to "well-educated, powerful, wealthy, and well-connected" people is not a statement meant to apply to "everyone who attended an elite school"?

2. I seem to have interacted with significantly more people who attended an elite college than you have. Notably, you appear to be generalizing "all people who attended an elite college" out of "MBAs and science graduates from elite colleges who have successfully figured out their career and gotten a job", which is what's tripping you up here.

In my experience, which I'm gonna say is better than your experience because apparently you didn't know that grade inflation exists, a small minority of attendees/graduates of elite colleges are smart, driven, passionate white or model minority people who stand out. A minority of those people go on to achieve power, wealth, AND connections (as opposed to achieving only one or two of the three).

A lot of everyone else is "my parents paid for tutoring when I was in highschool and I work pretty hard" or "I'm a little brighter than average and I coasted on that because my highschool sucked, and wow, college is really hard now because I have bad study habits" or "I'm smart, driven, and/or passionate but due to circumstances not completely in my control, my opportunities for advancement in America are limited and ten years from now, I will still be unable to achieve enough power, wealth, AND connections to the extent referenced by disgruntled posters on internet forums".

Also, one of the problems with grade inflation is less the "everyone aces the test because they're brilliant" situation and more the "if the professor graded fairly, he would fail half the class for not knowing fundamentals, so he bumps everyone up by a letter grade so he doesn't have to see their stupid faces next semester when they retake it" situation.

4. Being smarter than someone doesn't make you better than them. You don't get more worth as a person by being smarter or richer or better-connected. You should probably stop implying that it does.

edit: Also I don't understand why you're being super insecure about this, it's honestly confusing me.

double edit: also lmao if you think someone who takes out a 200k loan for an art history degree is significantly smarter that someone who doesn't

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 23, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Here’s a question a net neutrality. Let’s say net neutrality gets abolished and ISPs get to prioritize or deprioritize sites and charge more for some. Can’t you just bypass it all by using an encrypted VPN? Nobody will be able to tell what sites you are using.

VPN will either be outright blocked, or be part of an expensive "business-grade" package that regular people won't be able to afford.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

You know what’s weird. Everyone says ‘look what happened to the economy in 2008. I can’t believe nobody got sent to jail for that.’ But nobody ever follows on to point out what specific crimes were committed.

If anything the people who should be investigated was the ratings agency. But you can’t even make a case out of that because it’s technically just ‘guidance’ people are allowed to take or discard.

Bit late to the party, but this is both disingenuous and wrong. It is difficult for a layman to point to specific criminal acts because:

1. We aren't steeped in securities law.
2. We arent' privy to the books of large financial institutions in such a way as to be able to locate their specific criminal acts.

That said, the idea that large scale fraud wasn't being committed during and after the financial crash is absurd. In the aftermath, for example, we have the $50 billion dollar settlement with the various states over "improper foreclosure practices' in the form of robosigning. That is fraud. There is no question that is fraud. Tam doan, from BoA, for example, estimated that he signed and/or notarized upwards of 25,000 forclosure related documents during his time with the company, despite having reviewed none of the material. This material was then presented to foreclosure courts as accurate and reviewed information. Admittedly I'm Canadian, but I know that if my parents had engaged in this behavior on a small scale they'd have been sanctioned or worse. Yet done on a large scale the idea that anyone is criminally responsible for mass-scale fraud somehow vanishes into the ether.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Most fraud on applications were done by brokers. They sold the products to Wall Street but you can’t really blame the bankers for that one. The only thing you can say was that wall street’s insatiable demand for mortgages caused loan originators to play it fast and loose. Sorry but I don’t think you can pin that on Wall Street.

Okay. So why isn't Angelo Mozilo, former head of Countrywide in prison? I mean, they tried to get him on insider trading, I guess, but he ran the most fraudulent mortgage lender in the history of the United States, most likely the history of the planet, and yet he didn't see a single day in jail, and instead came out with roughly half a billion dollars.

Or why not Joe Cassano. He ran AIGFP and is probably the single most responsible human being on the face of the planet if you want to point fingers at a person who is responsible for the contagion eventually infecting everyday markets. The man sold billions upon billions of credit default swaps knowing full well that, in the event of a market correction, the company would have no conceivable way of paying those debts. If you are selling insurance, and you have no money, that is fraud. These are not hard cases.

Or hell, for fucksake, Timberwolf. Goldman Sachs sells a product they know to be collapsing to investors under the guise of a AAA rated security, lie to congress about it, and somehow skate despite literally calling it "A piece of poo poo" in internal documents.

The sheer fact that all of these firms paid massive penalties in the wake of the collapse tells you that there are crimes, crimes that should have resulted in criminal convictions had the obama justice department not decided that those involved were too big to jail.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If your ex is sharing explicit photos of you with people without your permission do not threaten to go to the police if you are a member of congress. Hire a lawyer.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 23, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kidkissinger posted:

It really bothers me when people defend the mass terror campaign that is the drone war just because Obama was responsible for expanding it.

Like, no you shitheads, air campaigns which cause massive civilian casualties and generally terrorize the populace aren’t a useful tool in fighting radicalization.

Because a mass invasion by armed personnel, or multiple airstrikes, would be highly preferable.

That's the actual alternative here, you don't get to pretend that "ignore the problem and hope like hell that Al Qaeda or Isis just go away" is in any way a solution. If you have a better way to kill these people, then there's a check for a several billion with your name on it waiting at Lockheed Martin.

Now, you could be complaining that Obama did not attempt to balance the needs of the situation against civilian casualties, but you're not, since we've seen what that ACTUALLY looks like when a sociopath like Trump starts just blowing up foreigners for the sheer hell of it, and you're still pretending that Obama was a monster who lusted after the death of children and that Al Qaeda was just a false flag operation to excuse his drones.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Ah yes the "kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out" strategy.

If that actually worked the Middle East would be the most peaceful region on the planet. Alas, it is not, and you have the military mind of a 14th century warlord. One of the shittier ones lost to history.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
At least you're finally outing yourself as just another generic neocon dickhead. Did you post in the Iraq War predictions thread as well?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Kilroy posted:

Ah yes the "kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out" strategy.

If that actually worked the Middle East would be the most peaceful region on the planet. Alas, it is not, and you have the military mind of a 14th century warlord. One of the shittier ones lost to history.

Okay, but what's the solution then? No one ever seems to have a solution to this beyond just leave.

Literally hundreds of years of history have made the middle east into the mess it is today, and the solution to the problems there isn't ever going to be just leave it completely alone.

Yes, drones suck and we should take extreme care when picking targets, but of all of the possible choices on intervention in the area they seem like the least bad of a lot of bad choices.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Now, you could be complaining that Obama did not attempt to balance the needs of the situation against civilian casualties, but you're not, since we've seen what that ACTUALLY looks like when a sociopath like Trump starts just blowing up foreigners for the sheer hell of it, and you're still pretending that Obama was a monster who lusted after the death of children and that Al Qaeda was just a false flag operation to excuse his drones.

The Obama administration was lying about the civilian casualties of its murder campaign by retroactively classifying any male they inadvertently killed as a terrorist as long as they could plausibly say he looked old enough to hold a gun and not too old to aim it, I've told you this before, yet you continue lying about it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Actually Obama blew up a shitload of brown people and systematically lied about the number of innocent civilians he killed in the process. He also murdered a bunch of innocent people who had done nothing more than be at the same restaurant as a 16 year old US citizen we had no other option but to kill using a drone strike (because 16 year olds are too loving dangerous to be handled any other way.)

I'm sorry friend but the Iraq war is over and no one is going to accept arguments premised in justifying the necessity of the forever war and/or how the way we fought the forever war is only way that it could have been fought. The entire style of logic that you are employing has been thoroughly discredited by real world events over the last 15 years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Refried Hero posted:

Okay, but what's the solution then? No one ever seems to have a solution to this beyond just leave.

Literally hundreds of years of history have made the middle east into the mess it is today, and the solution to the problems there isn't ever going to be just leave it completely alone.

Yes, drones suck and we should take extreme care when picking targets, but of all of the possible choices on intervention in the area they seem like the least bad of a lot of bad choices.

Yes, the problem with the Middle East is a shortage of American bombs falling on people's homes, you've solved it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

I quit my job in 2012, and since then I've embraced a homeless lifestyle, hanging with hippies and train kids and dirty kids and shwilly kids and rainbow fam and juggalos and deadheads and lightworkers and wobblies and queers and outlaws and carnies...

Jane is right

Slightly off topic, if you've made any marks on rail cars, I see a lot of rail cars. I don't take as many photos of hobo markings as I did in the past, but if you have a particular one to look for...

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Prester Jane posted:

Actually Obama blew up a shitload of brown people and systematically lied about the number of innocent civilians he killed in the process. He also murdered a bunch of innocent people who had done nothing more than be at the same restaurant as a 16 year old US citizen we had no other option but to kill using a drone strike (because 16 year olds are too loving dangerous to be handled any other way.)

I'm sorry friend but the Iraq war is over and no one is going to accept arguments premised in justifying the necessity of the forever war and/or how the way we fought the forever war is only way that it could have been fought. The entire style of logic that you are employing has been thoroughly discredited by real world events over the last 15 years.

So what, then, should we do? Just leave the region and do nothing?

Should we not, at the very least, be taking steps to fix the messes we have made in these countries? Should we not, at the very least be trying to provide aid and training to the people there trying to fight against radicalized groups?

What is the solution?

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, the problem with the Middle East is a shortage of American bombs falling on people's homes, you've solved it.

What should we do then? What is the solution? I don't think bombing helps all that much, but doing absolutely nothing to stop groups like ISIS is a pretty lovely plan too.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Refried Hero posted:

Usually when your chickens come home to roost you're not supposed to be stupid enough to keep doing the thing that led you to it in the first place.

The solution neocons like Fulchrum keep putting forward is basically Marshall Plan On A Shoestring Budget and then blow poo poo up when we don't get our way. Repeat ad nauseam. The correct solution is, more or less, exactly to leave them the gently caress alone and accept that they're going to hate our loving guts for a few generations, and that we have that coming. And we also have coming the consequences of that earned hatred, which we definitely ought to guard ourselves against but not to the extent that we let it compel us to start doing the poo poo, once again, that got us into the situation it is now.

Oh and cut off Israel as well, naturally. There are few examples of worse alliances in history, both from a strategic and a moral perspective.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Refried Hero posted:

Should we not, at the very least, be taking steps to fix the messes we have made in these countries? Should we not, at the very least be trying to provide aid and training to the people there trying to fight against radicalized groups?

What is the solution?

Let me lay out my comprehensive plan for solving the Middle East in a single forums post. Why no, I don't consider your insistence that I propose a viable solution to a centuries old problem because I criticized specific actions taken by our President to be an unreasonable demand.

Personally I think we could start by not using nightmare machines to indiscriminately rain death upon the people we are pretending to "help" from clear blue skies, but that is just me. (And no, the fact that Trump has been even more indiscriminate than Obama does not excuse Obama's actions here.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 23, 2017

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

edit: Also I don't understand why you're being super insecure about this, it's honestly confusing me.

Thanks for providing a response that isn't complete insanity and straw man arguments.

1. True, there isn't a complete overlap. But there certainly is a strong correlation between prestige/exclusivity and income, which I'm using as the simplest proxy for career success. http://www.businessinsider.com/colleges-with-high-starting-salaries-2016-9. The boner poster that provided the original comment specifically mentioned Harvard graduates, which is why I repeatedly referenced elite schools.

2. I was being sarcastic regarding the ivy league grade inflation. I'm aware and understand the motivations as to why professors at elite schools would have more motivation to give higher grades than others. This is problematic and should be addressed where possible. The trend of grade inflation within a single institution would indicate a problem. I also feel the goon hyperbole machine uses the existence of grade inflation as proof there is systematic corruption within these schools to promote the unworthy children of the affluent to successes they would otherwise not obtain under a fair system. This could be true, sure. Alternatively, it could be that a much higher percentage of people that were admitted to an extremely exclusive college are going to score well on objective tests (e.g., math/science) or perform well above the mean on subjective examinations (e.g., essays). A strict implementation of a bell curve grading system could solve for this, but is not a foolproof solution. How do you fail someone that sufficiently completed the requirements of the test/course above that of what was expected of the professor as they were designing the test? Are there any randomly assigned, blinded studies that show that elite universities are unfairly assigning grades?

4. I don't think I've claimed being smarter is being better. I've hopefully pretty clearly expressed that educational attainment and career success are highly dependent on affluence. This isn't really debatable -- there is tons of data out there. This should be corrected in every way possible, from wealth redistribution, to education equality, to access to health care. I just find it laughable that people here can't argue those points as they are while still acknowledging that hey, graduates from elite colleges are probably smart people. They may not even be bad people -- they are ivory tower coastal elites that typically vote alongside you! It's not terribly useful to say that every person in finance, pharma, defense industry, ivy league grads, people earning above $X, etc. should face the firing squad and simultaneously wonder why people mock the crazy lefty libtards.

It's not being super insecure. There was some fun discussion in US POL the other day on whether lovely stock clipart of a black woman with red lipstick was a racist sambo caricature on a DCCC infographic. It really is possible to punch left on the SA D&D forums without being a nazi.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Refried Hero posted:

What should we do then? What is the solution? I don't think bombing helps all that much, but doing absolutely nothing to stop groups like ISIS is a pretty lovely plan too.

Why does ISIS exist, friend Refried Hero?

Refried Hero posted:

What is the solution?

The United States' imperial adventures in the Middle East are not motivated by altruism or a desire to "fix our mess", that is hopelessly naive. And even if it were, the United States government is demonstrably too incompetent and corrupt to actually achieve the goals you're projecting onto it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Refried Hero posted:

Let's be clear: bombing doesn't help at all. It's not even a cost / benefit analysis - it actively makes the problem worse. You are literally saying "Well what's better than this plan that is worse than doing nothing at all then huh? Doing nothing at all?"

All else being equal, I would say sure, let's support groups in that region who are fighting against tyranny and let's do that with no strings attached either in a political or economic sense (or if you must be rationally self-interested with the understanding that a peaceful region free of tyranny is in our best interests as well). However I do not trust this government to do that, nor do I trust the boundless generosity of the American people - who I will remind you recently elected some rear end in a top hat who suggested we "take their oil" - to commit to such a strategy. So yes, nothing.

Of course, that won't actually happen, and we're probably not going to have peace in the Middle East until about 70 years after the collapse of the West, which is to say we're never going to have peace in the Middle East at all, since by the time that happens climate change will be in full "gently caress everything up forever" mode.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Friends, I see some of you are new to empathy and compassion, if you're just open about it we can help.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

Personally I think we could start by not using nightmare machines to indiscriminately rain death upon the people we are pretending to "help" from clear blue skies, but that is just me. (And no, the fact that Trump has been even more indiscriminate than Obama does not excuse Obama's actions here.)

You should read, "The Irony if American History" before continuing this critque.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

VitalSigns posted:

The United States' imperial adventures in the Middle East are not motivated by altruism or a desire to "fix our mess", that is hopelessly naive. And even if it were, the United States government is demonstrably too incompetent and corrupt to actually achieve the goals you're projecting onto it.

ISIS exists because of an unending history of western imperialism and fuckery in the middle east, everyone reasonable should know and understand this.

Look, the closest you have come to providing an answer to what should be done about extremism in the middle east is to skirt around the question by pointing out that what we are currently doing sucks. NO poo poo. That doesn't really help anything though. Hell, our greatest 'allies' in the region are some of the worst examples. Isreal and Saudi Arabia are both poo poo and constantly take actions that make the region worse. Yes, US foreign policy sucks and yes, drone strikes are lovely terror weapons.

What is the solution beyond just leave?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

The Obama administration was lying about the civilian casualties of its murder campaign by retroactively classifying any male they inadvertently killed as a terrorist as long as they could plausibly say he looked old enough to hold a gun and not too old to aim it, I've told you this before, yet you continue lying about it.

And I've caught you lying by saying they were targeting children. THe difference is that even if we expanded thelargest estimate of civilian casualties 10 fold, it still comes under the number of confirmed operatives killed. But your BS about Obama targeting children is still BS.

Prester Jane posted:

Let me lay out my comprehensive plan for solving the Middle East in a single forums post. Why no, I don;t consider your claims that I propose a viable solution to a centuries old problem because I criticized specific actions taken by our President to be an unreasonable demand.

And now you're just continuing to make up what words mean. You cannot be "more" indiscriminate. The simple fact that Trump proved how much worse poo poo could be proves Obama was careful in choosing how the drones were used. And if that's the case and you're still gonna criticize, then yeah, you are gonna have to present a better alternative.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 23, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Please quote the Goons in this thread that engaged in the kinds of blanket dismissals hyperbole you are alleging here. Because from my point of view view you are confusing being considered an equal as persecution/criticism (textbook white fragility).

All you need to disprove my charge here is simply quote the Goons who are displaying this clear hatred of all things education and Ivy League.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Kilroy posted:

All else being equal, I would say sure, let's support groups in that region who are fighting against tyranny and let's do that with no strings attached either in a political or economic sense (or if you must be rationally self-interested with the understanding that a peaceful region free of tyranny is in our best interests as well). However I do not trust this government to do that, nor do I trust the boundless generosity of the American people - who I will remind you recently elected some rear end in a top hat who suggested we "take their oil" - to commit to such a strategy. So yes, nothing.

Of course, that won't actually happen, and we're probably not going to have peace in the Middle East until about 70 years after the collapse of the West, which is to say we're never going to have peace in the Middle East at all, since by the time that happens climate change will be in full "gently caress everything up forever" mode.

This is the most reasonable post I think I've ever seen you make, and I generally agree with this idea while we have poo poo people like Trump in charge, but what about when there are actual adults making decisions?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Refried Hero posted:

This is the most reasonable post I think I've ever seen you make, and I generally agree with this idea while we have poo poo people like Trump in charge, but what about when there are actual adults making decisions?
Hmmm well thanks person I've never heard of. The answer to your question is "the same". It's not just the government, but also the American people are not going to commit to a benevolent strategy. Realistically the best we can do is to convince the public we're better off staying away.

Like if the Obama administration counts as "adults in charge" for you, well I have some bad news for you about their clear-headedness and benevolence in developing a strategy in the Middle East: they weren't loving able to do it either.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 23, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Your Taint posted:

McDonalds is never closed. At least mine isn't.

I pity the poor lonely people eating their thanksgiving dinner at McDonalds. :smith:

From a ways back

Long ago when I worked there, a group of us used to get together in the parking lot next door and troll people on Thanksgiving. Either we'd laugh at the people lined up at the speaker, or one of us would go pull up and watch the line back up. You'd be surprised just how many people want to go to McD's on turkey day

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Doesn't offend me you do that. It offends me that you're such an edgy snowflake you think you're being clever when you just look like a dope

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

" posted:

And now you're just continuing to make up what words mean. You cannot be "more" indiscriminate.

Wiktionary.org definition of "Indiscriminate".

quote:

Adjective:
indiscriminate (comparative more indiscriminate, superlative most indiscriminate)

Without care or making distinctions, thoughtless.

Fulchrum posted:

The simple fact that Trump proved how much worse poo poo could be proves Obama was careful in choosing how the drones were used. And if that's the case and you're still gonna criticize, then yeah, you are gonna have to present a better alternative.

Trump doing a terrible thing more than Obama did does not justify or excuse or validate what Obama did. This is a child's' logic.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Kilroy posted:

Maybe you're just not smart enough for this stuff, Refried Hero.

Alright dude, you haven't really addressed anything beyond saying you feel like what we are doing with drones is the wrong thing to do. Your previous post almost made me forget about all the dumb poo poo you post usually, but here this one is to remind me. Thanks, I guess.

Trump won't be in charge forever and, assuming humans still exist then, progressives will come to power again at some point. Radicalization of people in general is something that needs to be addressed and one area this is a major problem is where western societies have intervened. Just leaving will not work. I agree that one of the best possible options is to unconditionally support fledgeling democracies in the area (like the Kurds), but that is not a possible solution with the current government we have and looking backwards and saying we did the wrong things in the past doesn't really help now either.

Edit: some grammar mistakes

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Enkmar posted:

Can you please just loving live closer to your work

No problem, I'll just move to orange county, cost of living is no factor, should be no problem. Also shut up.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

You know fuckall about the real world because you have been too chickenshit to ever leave your privileged bubble. There are fundamental aspects of the human experience and human behavior that you have no concept of because you have never known any deprivation. That is something that those of us in this thread who know a bit about suffering can see clearly in your thinking; you are incredibly naive and have the particular arrogance that is only sustained by a life of uninterrupted abundance. You are also deeply insecure about the slightest of perceived criticisms because you don;'t know anything about what actual pain or persecution is like.

Hey, you asked and I answered.

I don't need to leave my "privileged bubble" to believe that your average person admitted to Harvard is above the smartness level of 50th percentile of people, which is what "often" somewhat implies. There are many children of wealthy, privileged, well-connected people that didn't get into Harvard. There wasn't a single person in my graduating class that got into Harvard. Beyond that, I don't know a single person from my childhood area that got into Harvard -- and that includes people from varying wealth, privilege, and connectedness.

It may be comforting to believe that everything equal you'd be admitted to the <1% or whatever of graduating seniors that go to ivy league schools. And that you're just as "smart" as them. There are injustices and wrongs in the world, but maybe it just ain't in the cards. Maybe if my parents were college graduates and lived in Manhattan with the ability to pay for fancy ivy-level extracurriculars I would have had a better shot. But realistically I'm probably just not that "smart."

I just don't find it useful to bitch and moan about how all ivy league graduates are actually dumb and bad. Claiming that Harvard graduates are more often that not dumber than your average person is included in that, as a rational human being could look at admission rates and determine that not to be true. While there are the Kushners and Mnuchins of the world, these individuals are generally not your enemy. Fight against the systems that enable generational wealth and privilege, but calling a hypothetical centrist Cornell chem major naive/arrogant and someone "dumber the average person" that only obtained their education through privilege and grift isn't helping your cause.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 23, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Because for some goddamn reason, America decided the government of Iraq was in any way competent. They, in turn, decided to free all of Isis's top leadership from Bucca, and to disband and repress the Sons of Iraq, because of sectarianism. As in any situation where you remove the only natural predator, the vermin flourished.

Oh, wait, sorry, it was "because of eeeevil AMericans forcing the noble people to band together against the dreaded American imperialism, which caused the people of Iraq to cry out in joy as one"

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 23, 2017

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
We've all seen what happens when a terror group has a safe enclave to operate from. Al Quaeda had Afghanistan in the 90s/early 2000s and planned and coordinated 9/11 from there. ISIS had Syria and Iraq just a few years ago and planned numerous attacks from there like the Paris attacks.

So if we are to simply leave these areas, then attacks on Western countries are sure to increase. Can we at least all agree on that? So what do we do then? Just live with it?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Refried Hero posted:

Alright dude, you haven't really addressed anything beyond saying you feel like what we are doing with drones is the wrong thing to do. Your previous post almost made me forget about all the dumb poo poo you post usually, but here this one is to remind me. Thanks, I guess.
"Dude" your posting here has been dumb as poo poo with multiple people explaining to you the exact same loving thing and you're clearly still not getting it, so to be honest your lecturing on post quality isn't having much effect on me :shrug: and anyway I edited my post.

I don't know if you realize it or care, but you're presenting a false dilemma here and we're not buying it. You asked "what else can we do?" and were given an answer, and now you're just imposing arbitrary constraints on it so you can justify continued warmongering. Do you think the rest of us are too stupid to see this transparently obvious thing? The American state as currently constituted (and that includes not just its national government but also the people responsible for forming it i.e. the electorate) lack the credibility, the means, and the strategic acumen necessary to intervene in the Middle East in a positive way. When confronted with this fact, your reaction is apparently "so what? we just have to keep bombing them, then?" which reflects poorly on your character. Sorry about that.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KingNastidon posted:

I just don't find it useful to bitch and moan about how all ivy league graduates are actually dumb and bad.

i lived with a harvard grad and he literally did not know how to change a lightbulb. he had never had to do it or even think about it

good guy, pretty smart but with a suspicious and hilarious hole in his knowledge. it's like if he didn't know how to tie his shoe

• Locked thread