Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

temple posted:

125 bitcoins would make you a millionaire. That would've been 2500$ when it was 20$

Yea maybe, or it would be 0 bitcoins now because you kept your bitcoins in the most popular exchange at the time, Mtgox

Or because you used a popular brain wallet at the time that turned out to produce extremely predictable private keys, causing all of its users to lose everything

Or because your wallet software sent your private keys to the developer, which has happened numerous times, even for wallets that were widely popular and considered trustworthy at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Yea maybe, or it would be 0 bitcoins now because you kept your bitcoins in the most popular exchange at the time, Mtgox

Or because you used a popular brain wallet at the time that turned out to produce extremely predictable private keys, causing all of its users to lose everything

Or because your wallet software sent your private keys to the developer, which has happened numerous times, even for wallets that were widely popular and considered trustworthy at the time

Bitcoin!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Don't forget about the time that wallets got seeded with 403 HTTP errors

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I keep all my money in cash stores in food bags in the top section of my toilet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Manic Technophile posted:

I keep all my money in cash stores in food bags in the top section of my toilet.

I keep all my money in a bank. Call me old fashoned

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

QuarkJets posted:

The price can't wait for all the kinks to get worked out.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

quote:

According to Digiconomist’s Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index, as of Monday November 20th, 2017 Bitcoin’s current estimated annual electricity consumption stands at 29.05TWh.

That’s the equivalent of 0.13% of total global electricity consumption.

The new K Cup?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Goodpancakes posted:

The new K Cup?

sweet. that means that Bitcoin is wasting as much energy as every developing country combined.
The new money!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How efficient!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I keep all my money in a bank. Call me old fashoned
banking with physical fiat dollars like a total luddite

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But banks have lights in them and stock brokers use computer, those use electricity, too

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

That's an unconscionable amount of electricity for Bitcoin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

That's an unconscionable amount of electricity for Bitcoin.

And that's JUST bitcoin. Ethereum is another 50% of that. all the little pissant altcoins probably another 50% on top of it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah that's a ton of electricity actually holy poo poo what a waste.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

quote:

Yeah that's a ton of electricity actually holy poo poo what a waste.

Paraphrasing an idiot: "Maybe it seems like a waste to you, but perhaps for the problems that bitcoin is solving and the people it's solving them for, it's worth it. Maybe even a good deal." This is the argument you'll see.

QuarkJets posted:

Is it actually possible to have a 'wallet' that doesn't rely at some point on code someone else has written (unless you've written it yourself)?
Or is 'trustless' yet another fundamental thing that is supposedly groundbreaking about bitcoin that is actually not true (you have to trust the coders who wrote your wallet not to screw you)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hypothetically you could write your own wallet software but basically no one does

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep all my money in giant labor beams. At least that way when no one will do business with me at least I can make my cat chase it around.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Uranium 235 posted:

for individual exchanges, daily bitcoin volumes are in the tens or hundreds of millions (for the top exchanges). the sum volume of all exchanges adds up to several billion.

if you used $1.5 mil to tank the price on a low liquidity, low volume exchange, it wouldn't affect the other exchanges. people (or bots, more likely) would just take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity and bring the small exchange back up to near average market value

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

see, that's the problem: the system - "price" being a weighted average of exchange spot prices rather than any sort of market-accepted and realisable number, and it being slow and difficult to move bitcoins between exchanges - is pretty much a recipe for ridiculous volatility.

even if the price crashes on a small exchange, arbitraging it is slow and annoying.

when one exchange fucks up in some way and has a flash crash (GDAX has done this a coupla times) it shows in the averaged "price". and if that average doesn't include that exchange, another will. and bitcoin daytraders observably poo poo at a $50 drop in the quoted "price" - even though spreads are often in the hundreds of dollars.

so you get a bitcoin "price" graph with 5-10% swings a day.

also, as i noted, the "price" calculations are rejigged arbitrarily to exclude exchanges that might look like they're not being Good News for bitcoin. e.g. when the long-anticipated price signal of the chinese exchanges, which had been most of bitcoin's trading volume for several years, was cut off by those exchanges being dropped from common "price" calculations the moment the chinese government finally dropped the hammer, even though they had a month or two of trading to go. the "price" calculation is literally a marketing lie.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

QuarkJets posted:

Computer Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/coinpouchapp/status/933231297291366402

wallet software hacked. they're releasing a statement via dropbox.. lol

........starting NOW.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

divabot posted:

see, that's the problem: the system - "price" being a weighted average of exchange spot prices rather than any sort of market-accepted and realisable number, and it being slow and difficult to move bitcoins between exchanges - is pretty much a recipe for ridiculous volatility.

even if the price crashes on a small exchange, arbitraging it is slow and annoying.
doesn't stop people from arbitraging, or from using arbitrage bots to do it automatically.

quote:

when one exchange fucks up in some way and has a flash crash (GDAX has done this a coupla times) it shows in the averaged "price". and if that average doesn't include that exchange, another will. and bitcoin daytraders observably poo poo at a $50 drop in the quoted "price" - even though spreads are often in the hundreds of dollars.
what do you mean that "it" shows an averaged price? what is "it"? the exchange only shows the price on the exchange. and no, bitcoin day traders do not poo poo at a $50 drop in price, that's not even 1% and $50 fluctuations happen many, many times per day. anyone who has day traded bitcoin for a while will be accustomed to seeing that. maybe you're still calibrated to when bitcoin was $2500?

are you talking about bid-ask spread? it's usually measured in cents or dollars on the exchanges i've used. i don't think i've ever seen a bid-ask spread of $100 for more than a split second (and that only happens during moments of extremely high volume when people are placing huge market orders to move the price very quickly).

between exchanges i've used, the difference in price of bitcoin is generally less than 1% but that difference can increase during times of high volume and volatility.

quote:

so you get a bitcoin "price" graph with 5-10% swings a day.
the reason for 5-10% price swings is not because of bid-ask spreads or arbitrage opportunities

quote:

also, as i noted, the "price" calculations are rejigged arbitrarily to exclude exchanges that might look like they're not being Good News for bitcoin. e.g. when the long-anticipated price signal of the chinese exchanges, which had been most of bitcoin's trading volume for several years, was cut off by those exchanges being dropped from common "price" calculations the moment the chinese government finally dropped the hammer, even though they had a month or two of trading to go. the "price" calculation is literally a marketing lie.
i don't look at price averages because those aren't very useful to me, but if there are extenuating circumstances on an exchange that cause its price action to lose correlation with the rest of the market then it makes sense to exclude it from the price average. it would be an outlier. the chinese exchange ban was a good example--it's not helpful to the average person to see a skewed price when most people looking at the price average do not trade on chinese exchanges (assuming these websites you're using for average price are western sites)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

someone should change the op so people dont come in every couple pages saying "well my coins on coinbase are insured"

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Welp I've got a crazy bitcoin uncle now. Prosletyzing at the dinner table. From what I gather it's not a ponzi, but it is a loving cult.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Manic Technophile posted:

Welp I've got a crazy bitcoin uncle now. Prosletyzing at the dinner table. From what I gather it's not a ponzi, but it is a loving cult.

https://twitter.com/FuzzyMarth/status/933520446447812608

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/933758426659901441

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bitcoin is so intuitive and easy to use just look at this example:

[–]MohamedMansourProgrammer[S] 158 points 3 days ago*

Here is the history.

I wanted to buy Jackbox TV Party pack for $24.99 on Steam.
Showing my friends how long the transaction would take using Bitcoin integration.
Bitcoin made me pay $4 in transaction fees. That is around 15% cost to use Bitcoin.
I sent the money and the transaction taking forever to confirm.
Steam sends me an email saying they haven't received the funds.
It took 2.5 hours to verify with 6 confirms with BitPay. At that time the payment cost me $29 dollars for a $25 game.
BitPay emailed me saying I underpaid by 3 cents at the time, and said to refund me. I checked the price of bitcoin 0.003853 btc in usd is around $31 which was a lie on their part.
They just refunded me 0.002247 BTC, because they decided not to give me the network cost and miner fee on a mistake they did. (2x miner fee + 2x network cost).

At the end of day, I wanted to buy a $25 dollar game on Steam, I had to send $29 dollars in bitcoin, and they refunded me just $18 on a mistake they done. I lost 10 dollars and haven't received my game.

Never do business with online merchants with Bitcoin. Never. Customer support for BitPay are uneducated, they keep sending me the same responses over.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

Never do business with online merchants with Bitcoin. Never. Customer support for BitPay are uneducated, they keep sending me the same responses over.

but you just don't get it, number go up, look i think you really just don't understand blockchain properly,

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

divabot posted:

but you just don't get it, number go up
number good!

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

it store value :viggo:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

QuarkJets posted:

Here is the history.

I wanted to buy Jackbox TV Party pack for $24.99 on Steam.
Showing my friends how long the transaction would take using Bitcoin integration.
Bitcoin made me pay $4 in transaction fees. That is around 15% cost to use Bitcoin.
I sent the money and the transaction taking forever to confirm.
Steam sends me an email saying they haven't received the funds.
It took 2.5 hours to verify with 6 confirms with BitPay. At that time the payment cost me $29 dollars for a $25 game.
BitPay emailed me saying I underpaid by 3 cents at the time, and said to refund me. I checked the price of bitcoin 0.003853 btc in usd is around $31 which was a lie on their part.
They just refunded me 0.002247 BTC, because they decided not to give me the network cost and miner fee on a mistake they did. (2x miner fee + 2x network cost).

At the end of day, I wanted to buy a $25 dollar game on Steam, I had to send $29 dollars in bitcoin, and they refunded me just $18 on a mistake they done. I lost 10 dollars and haven't received my game.

IT'S SO FAST AND EASY!!!!

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
^^ ahahahaha suck a bag of dicks Ham Sandwiches

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He lost $11 though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He lost $11 though

No, BITCOIN lost 11 dollar value which instantly shot up

if he held the coins he would be richer, so he's an idiot

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was listening to Joe Rogan podcast from a few weeks back. He had Peter Schiff (of Schiff Gold) on as a guest and while his push for libertarianism is a little hard for my tastes, he made some good points about some company he is hocking.

goldmoney.com seems to be pretty neat. The money you put into it is used to buy and store actual gold secured by brinks security. You can have the gold stored, or shipped to you, and you can transfer the ownership of that gold to others as a form of Visa backed payment using a debit card. He says that he doesn't have faith in paper money lasting forever, but cryptocurrency isn't the answer. Going back to gold could be a very safe bet especially if more people start using it for currency again.

His explanation for bitcoin and Ether was pretty good. He basically said that they're very bad investments that some people will make a lot of money on as long as there are bigger fools than those people making worse decisions.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 24, 2017

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
outside of tinfoil hat reasons i dont see why we would go back to using gold as currency

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

jonathan posted:

I was listening to Joe Rogan podcast from a few weeks back. He had Peter Schiff (of Schiff Gold) on as a guest and while his push for libertarianism is a little hard for my tastes, he made some good points about some company he is hocking.

goldmoney.com seems to be pretty neat. The money you put into it is used to buy and store actual gold secured by brinks security. You can have the gold stored, or shipped to you, and you can transfer the ownership of that gold to others as a form of Visa backed payment using a debit card. He says that he doesn't have faith in paper money lasting forever, but cryptocurrency isn't the answer. Going back to gold could be a very safe bet especially if more people start using it for currency again.

His explanation for bitcoin and Ether was pretty good. He basically said that they're very bad investments that some people will make a lot of money on as long as there are bigger fools than those people making worse decisions.

I swear there was another company that did the whole "you pay us, we store the gold OR ship it to you (at outrageous cost)" and most people let them store the gold, and WHOOPS turns out there wasn't any gold!

EDIT: Apparently there have been several, but this is just one.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 24, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I would store the gold for outrageous fees but I would track every customer and wait for some of them to die and forge documents showing they withdrew it months ago if anyone asks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jonathan posted:

That's cool because that very same company lets you buy and sell cryptos, specifically Bitcoin

https://www.goldmoney.com/support#buy-sell-cryptocurrency-what

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/sulaimanslalani/status/934112547480985603

https://twitter.com/sulaimanslalani/status/934113652097126410

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

jonathan posted:

we're not going back to the gold standard. don't listen to peter schiff, he's been shilling gold for over a decade and talking about how the USD will become worthless due to hyperinflation 'any day now' (paraphrasing)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jonathan posted:

He says that he doesn't have faith in paper money lasting forever, but cryptocurrency isn't the answer. Going back to gold could be a very safe bet especially if more people start using it for currency again.

Why would anyone start using gold for a currency instead of bullets if somehow all paper currencies fail and we are in a hellscape dystopian reality. Because that's the only way that they all fail at this point.

Peter Schiff is a shill and a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

yeah if the USD hyperinflates into worthlessness then i'm going to get eaten by some prepper maniac. who cares if i have gold bars or bitcoins