Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

GunnerJ posted:

Well the stuff you make in the game is 100% from real truffles.

its all just like, pixels man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hey, if you take Botanist but not Artisan, truffle oil will be worth less than truffles.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really love this game but 450+ pages is daunting so I'm just gonna ask straight-up: There's nothing missable in this game right, it just goes on forever? Any calendar event that happens will for-sure come around next year and quests I fail to do with either come up again or stay in the log forever right?

I really like a few of the villagers but sometimes I just want to spend weeks going nothing but watering my poo poo and sleeping.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yes.

Although you really should watch TV every day. I didn't, and now there's one recipe (that you hear about in the first Spring) that's taking ages to find. I know it'll come up on the reruns eventually, but it's taking forever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's a set recipe shown every Sunday on a two-year repeating pattern. Each Wednesday, a randomly-chosen recipe that's already been aired at least once will be displayed.
So if you get lucky you might catch it on a Wednesday re-run.

I just recently started a new game to replay from the start, as I hadn't played since before the Emily/Shane update.
Goddamn Clint is even more of a whiny loser than before, especially in Emily's Clothing Therapy event.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Pierson posted:

I really love this game but 450+ pages is daunting so I'm just gonna ask straight-up: There's nothing missable in this game right, it just goes on forever? Any calendar event that happens will for-sure come around next year and quests I fail to do with either come up again or stay in the log forever right?

I really like a few of the villagers but sometimes I just want to spend weeks going nothing but watering my poo poo and sleeping.
Sam’s three heart event can only happen before the first winter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ephemeron posted:

Sam’s three heart event can only happen before the first winter.

Note for clarity, missing this does not stop you dating Sam, you just don't see the event.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Clint is E/N personified

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
He's definitely printer-carrying material

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Tenebrais posted:

Note for clarity, missing this does not stop you dating Sam, you just don't see the event.

Although it does portray him as a protective sort. Having to decide to acknowledge the risk that your father's KIA to your kid brother is pretty unpleasant.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Robin, Robin, I do not have an issue. I simply want another basement, underneath the basement I already have.

No, I don't care about your concerns of "unstable foundations" of "your house is atop the Slime Mother From Which All Slimes Spawn". I have needs to age more items.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You could pop in another keg in the row ends. Diagonal placement's a thing.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Not sure how relevant this is for your current playthrough, but you can fit a lot more casks in the cellar. This is generally considered to be the optimal layout:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh, I know that I can have a more optimal placement (which I've considered doing), it's that even with an optimal placement it's not enough for the amount I've got lined up. A man has but three needs in life: food, water, and casks.

dig me another cellar, Robin, or I'll expose your kid you ignore to reddit

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, I know that I can have a more optimal placement (which I've considered doing), it's that even with an optimal placement it's not enough for the amount I've got lined up. A man has but three needs in life: food, water, and casks.

dig me another cellar, Robin, or I'll expose your kid you ignore to reddit

A. 125 casks is a fair amount more than 90, which you appear to have in that picture.

B. Sebastian and Maru have both obviously been on Reddit before, unfortunately.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I always thought Seb was more of a /tg/ kind of guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Really it's kinda odd but Robin pays more attention to Sebastian than she does to Maru. Seems more Sebastian ignores Robin than the other way around

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A bunch of my friends started playing this game for the first time, and I've started a new farm so I can play along with them. My last save was abandoned months ago, but I'm surprised by how much I remember.

I'm thinking of doing a full orchard farm. A small plot for cash crops and food, a barn and coop tucked away in a corner somewhere, and the rest devoted to fruit trees and fruit processing.

How viable is this? Or, will this be fun? I'm not min maxing, I'm more like roleplaying. Should I stick with one variety of fruit and spend all year turning one season's harvest into wine?

I just really like orchards. :shobon:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It'll be a little tricky - running the numbers, fruit trees actually take more than a season to break even unless you process the fruit, although in the very long term they'll be okay. So you'll both want to process as much of the tree fruit as you can, and have a fairly strong core of blueberries, etc. to bankroll your fruit tree programme.

In the long run, the greenhouse has enough space to do this while also hiding the crops from view. Of course, first catch your greenhouse.

Sounds neat, though :).

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's not efficient in the sense that it'll take a relatively long time to get up to speed, but iridium quality apples getting aged into iridium quality wine with minimum effort every three days sounds rather nice. Just takes, um, four years to get to that point.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does fruit quality make a difference to wine quality? I thought it didn't.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I thought wine was x3 the value of the fruit, affected by the quality. I thought only cooking, mayo, and cheese weren't affected by the quality while pickling and wine did.

Edit: if I'm wrong, that's great, it actually makes my vineyard even better since I can sell the gold crops and keep the regular quality instead of vice versa.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The value of fruit/vegetable based artisan goods are determined by the base value of the original item with no consideration for quality. You absolutely want to prioritize turning your lowest quality crops into wine/pickles over the higher quality ones.

The hard part of doing an orchard is that fruit tree saplings are expensive and take a long time to grow. You should probably do a normal farm for most of the first year and save up cash to buy saplings and plant them at the beginning of Winter. Check the travelling merchant frequently, though, they sometimes sell saplings for less than Pierre does.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 25, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll go for it -- it will be a lot of work and will take years to really get the orchard going, but at least I'll have plenty to do. And it's easy enough to have a cash crop farm on the side, along with some ancient fruit wine in the greenhouse.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Solumin posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll go for it -- it will be a lot of work and will take years to really get the orchard going, but at least I'll have plenty to do. And it's easy enough to have a cash crop farm on the side, along with some ancient fruit wine in the greenhouse.

I did this once! Buying all the trees cost me around half a million gold.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Playing on switch, my beehives have disappeared!! They were there for about an in game year...very strange

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
youve been hit by the beehive bandit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

trapped mouse posted:

Not sure how relevant this is for your current playthrough, but you can fit a lot more casks in the cellar. This is generally considered to be the optimal layout:

When you can do poo poo like this what do you even need all that money for? Just to fulfill Scrooge McDuck level money fantasies?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Internet Kraken posted:

When you can do poo poo like this what do you even need all that money for? Just to fulfill Scrooge McDuck level money fantasies?

Mostly, yeah. There's some really expensive stuff like the decorator catalogue thing, but it's mostly cause there's no multiplayer/reason to customize/-thing else to do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Internet Kraken posted:

there are several 1 million and up items and they don't buy themselves.

Well, that and the Scrooge McDuck vault, yeah.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
There's a 10 million gold Gold Clock. I need it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

nerd_of_prey posted:

Playing on switch, my beehives have disappeared!! They were there for about an in game year...very strange

Stardew Valley raises awareness for colony collapse disorder apparently.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm glad they added more expensive bullshit for the game than there was at launch, but it should go farther. Like the golden logs of Harvest Moon games past, I want to be able to craft stupid ornamental fences and pathways and fountains and statues and things out of gold and irridium bars. No more functional purpose than the ones you can craft out of wood or stone, they're just super expensive and tell all your neighbors, "A true fancy-pants lives here."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Solumin posted:

Showbiz_Liz here did a really cool bed and breakfast thing.

showbiz_liz posted:

The orchard/B&B is done!

There's more if you follow the link in the quote, I just cut it for the sake of space.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Poque posted:

There's more if you follow the link in the quote, I just cut it for the sake of space.

Oh wow, that's incredible!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Stardew really needs the Terraria-like function of being able to just place your money as huge piles of gold pieces/nuggets/bullion

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Poque posted:

Wait, am I seeing this right - they have the insanely expensive obelisks but never upgraded the farmhouse???

e: huh, looks like in the post they did, but why is the big picture shot only showing the first house?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Poque posted:

An incredible good looking Zen garden you have there.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

artichoke posted:

Wait, am I seeing this right - they have the insanely expensive obelisks but never upgraded the farmhouse???

e: huh, looks like in the post they did, but why is the big picture shot only showing the first house?

I think that might be a weird artifact of upload.farm. It does other weird stuff too, like it always displays uncolored chests as black instead of light brown, it doesn't show tappers on trees, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Use Map Image Export. It takes pictures as they look in-game, including any mods.

Here's my farm, note the modded stone path to look like the town street and shorter grass:

Both shorter grass and the path retexture are in this post.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 27, 2017