Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Finished my first Afrika Korps squad (though I still need to do the final dry-brush on the bases and dull-cote them):

Because of the supply problems for Germans in North Africa (at times they were dependent almost entirely on the Italian logistical machine), uniforms tended to not be very, well, uniform. The original Afrika Korps uniform was green, but later came both tan and darker brown sets. Because new issue or resupply was dodgy at best, DAK units took on a pretty mix-and-match appearance, especially as the North African campaign dragged on. That's what I was trying to capture here.

The green and tan especially were prone to fading in the blazing desert sun (to pale, minty green and almost white respectively). I feel like I got the faded green pretty well, but I feel like I could push the tans lighter. I'll probably do a few in the next batch.

These are the Perry Plastics. They are surprisingly small and fiddly, with much more "true-scale" proportions than the Black Tree Americans I did recently. But the sculpts are really cool, they were relatively easy to assembled, and they have a ton of detail. Boot-laces, bread-bags, goggles on helmets, detailed web gear, you name it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they came out. I'll be starting the next squad soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Muggins, I'll make it easy for you: Teams in a Squad/Section in CoC are like Groups in a Formation in SP2. It's literally the same mechanic, right down to dividing the hits and rolling for the effects on each team individually. If a bunch of teams (from the same section or not) are clustered together within 4" of each other, they share hits, just like in SP2.

For Cessna: For the main Japanese list, you'll want to start with this one: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2977

If you want more Japanese lists, Len Tracey is the guy to talk to. He's the one who wrote the Malaya campaign (that came out in I think the 2015 Summer Special), and he's written a later ('43 and on) Japanese list as well. There's a big topic on the CoC forums about USMC lists, and because the Marines went through a ton of different organizations as the war went on, there's a list of different platoon orgs that someone put together a while back.

Main difference IIRC (haven't played CoC in ages):

In SP, a formation is made up of units. When units take shock, you see if they break by comparing each units amount of shock against how many men that the individual unit has left. So if one part of the formation takes more shock than the others, they'll peel off and run while the rest of the formation stays. This is an important mechanic, as otherwise a large formation (say, six or eight units of regulars) would be an unstoppable death star.

In CoC, a section or squad is often made up of two teams. When the teams take shock, they count the collective shock in the section against how many men there are in the section.

So if you have a squad consisting of a six man rifle team and a three man LMG team, and the LMG team suddenly takes four points of shock but the rifle team is unharmed, the LMG team will not break off (like it would in SP), but stay in the fight thanks to the rifle team.

E: nice work on those DAK! I'm also looking to add an extra squad to the platoon I painted up, and some extra support, and some more ammo carriers... and then I'll be close to a second platoon.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 15, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The COC rules use "Section" and "Squad" interchangeably. They mean the same thing. This was a huge source of confusion for me at first.

quote:

In CoC, a section or squad is often made up of two teams. When the teams take shock, they count the collective shock in the section against how many men there are in the section.

Note that this only applies if the teams within the section are within 4" of each other, and that the shock penalty to firing only counts the shock on the firing team.

Example: You have a Section with two 4-man teams, A and B. A has 2 shock, B has 5 shock. A and B are within 4" of each other.

Normally, B would be pinned, because the number of shock it has is equal or greater than the number of models in the unit (5 > 4), but because A is within 4" of B, B includes A's numbers for purposes of pinning and breaking (8 > 5).

However, if A moves away from B, B would immediately become pinned.

When firing, A rolls one less dice, because it has two shock. B rolls two less dice, because it has five shock - Five divided by two, rounding down. .

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That's because yankees says "squad" and Tommies say "section," I guess.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
So I have about 40 25mm washers with the ideal size magnets for inside but I have a problem with basing. I usually use wooden warbases.co.uk bases as they are awesome but I got a good deal on these and I wanted to experiment with magnetized poo poo.

So here is my problem: usually, I use a wood filler to give my bases 'texture' before I do a pass with some PVA+water+dishwashingliquid and some fine sand/stones before priming. But I now have metal washers (austenitic stainless I gather, cause they are anti-magnetic) and the wood filler just doesn't stick (duh, it's not wood). What kind of filler material should I use instead? I tried asking around at my local hardware store and all I get is expressionless faces and they point towards the 'filler section' that only has expensive as gently caress acrylate fillers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

So I have about 40 25mm washers with the ideal size magnets for inside but I have a problem with basing. I usually use wooden warbases.co.uk bases as they are awesome but I got a good deal on these and I wanted to experiment with magnetized poo poo.

So here is my problem: usually, I use a wood filler to give my bases 'texture' before I do a pass with some PVA+water+dishwashingliquid and some fine sand/stones before priming. But I now have metal washers (austenitic stainless I gather, cause they are anti-magnetic) and the wood filler just doesn't stick (duh, it's not wood). What kind of filler material should I use instead? I tried asking around at my local hardware store and all I get is expressionless faces and they point towards the 'filler section' that only has expensive as gently caress acrylate fillers.

I glue my minis to steel washers and use normal spackle paste to fill out the gap and get a texture

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Commissar Kip posted:

So here is my problem:
I use steel washers (not austenitic, because I want them to be magnetic), and I use Liquitex Acrylic Texture Paste, available at most art supply stored for pretty cheap. I use the paste to build up the base and blend in the edge/gap from the top of the washer created by the metal or plastic baselet attached to the mini's feet. Once this is dry, it takes normal PVA and sand very well.

EDIT: One nice thing about acrylic paste is that it doesn't really shrink at all as it dries, so you don't get the cracking you sometimes see with spackle. Small cracks aren't usually a problem when you're going to cover the base with sand anyway, but it's worth noting.

Generally, if you want stuff to stick to your base and it won't, priming that base first helps. I have to do this with the plastic bases that come with Infinity minis - I find that unprimed, PVA just beads up on them, which sounds much like the problem you are seeing - and makes texturing the base a pain in the rear end. What helps even more than just priming (and especially with metal washers) is hitting it with a few strokes of fine-grit sand-paper first, then priming it. Pretty much anything will stick to it then.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So the ECW army I have for Pike and Shotte - how much of a pain would that be to get into SP?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So the ECW army I have for Pike and Shotte - how much of a pain would that be to get into SP?

How are they based? If it's 8 men or less per base, it should be possible to use with some house rules (i'm not knowledgable about the ECW so I don't know how different it is to, say, late 1700's.)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey I've seen some links to magnetic sheeting and boxes to go with as a storage solution ITT. I found the sheeting but the box situation is a can of worms and I was hoping that OP was paying attention and could re-link it. I'm trying to price out solutions, so far thefoamfactory(dot)com is winning as I can DIY that to fit my transprot case (feldherr maxi). The magnet thing would occupy less volume though...

Class Warcraft posted:

There are some special rules for the 82nd Airborne jump in the Duel in the Sun campaign book. Basically you take a prep bombardment from your own side before the battle to represent friendly fire then you perform a combat jump with your troops actually landing in the battle.

List is made from the generic Airborne platoon list:
AIRBORNE REINFORCED PLATOON
1 Lieutenant (First or Second)
2 Airborne infantry squads (chosen from the list of Airborne units above)

Plus:
0– 1 Captain or Major
0– 1 Medic
0– 1 Forward Observer (either Artillery or Air)
0– 3 Airborne infantry squads (chosen from the list of Airborne units above)
0– 1 Machine gun
0– 1 Sniper
0– 1 Flamethrower
0– 1 Anti-tank team
0– 1 Mortar (light or medium)
0– 1 Light anti-tank gun, light anti-aircraft gun or light howitzer
The limitations of that list is not worth the free bombardment when considering lists like bastogne and bulge. The end game for my 82nd is having a couple commandeered Italian vehicles and some pilfered guns.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DiHK posted:

Hey I've seen some links to magnetic sheeting and boxes to go with as a storage solution ITT. I found the sheeting but the box situation is a can of worms and I was hoping that OP was paying attention and could re-link it. I'm trying to price out solutions, so far thefoamfactory(dot)com is winning as I can DIY that to fit my transprot case (feldherr maxi). The magnet thing would occupy less volume though...

The limitations of that list is not worth the free bombardment when considering lists like bastogne and bulge. The end game for my 82nd is having a couple commandeered Italian vehicles and some pilfered guns.

Actually the bombardment is against your forces due to friendly fire. So yes it is not an easy scenario.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

LARS ready to rain down rockets on the soviet hordes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Those look excellent.

I really want to like Team Yankee. I love that era, and the models are great. But the game just isn't working for me, and when I see the pics online of tanks lined up like Napoleonic musketeers I feel ill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am strongly considering playing it with 6mm models and not changing the measurements at all.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

I am strongly considering playing it with 6mm models and not changing the measurements at all.

Yeah, I think that'd be the easiest way to do it.

I honestly don't understand why they altered the command and control rules so much. I certainly didn't see many complaints, and I don't I've ever seen any complaints in favour of bunching people up more and making units take longer to test morale...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cessna posted:

Those look excellent.

I really want to like Team Yankee. I love that era, and the models are great. But the game just isn't working for me, and when I see the pics online of tanks lined up like Napoleonic musketeers I feel ill.

Aren't PSC doing a Battlegroup expansion for WWIII? So there's options, now.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yes, "Battlefield NORTHAG." They released a teaser of the cover a few months ago, and not a word since.

I'd really like to see it happen.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, parking lot syndrome is something I really loving hate about FoW

...And if you base your poo poo for FoW/Yankee, but do it in 6mm, you can still play 1:1 representation Cold War Commander/Fistful of TOWs.

By the way, what are good historicals blogs to follow?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Have some nearly done M113 Panzermörser. I'll be doing some details on the stowage to break up the green and apply decals. I decided to paint these in the "old" bundeswehr colours as i figured stuff like this maybe wasnt at the front of the queue to get modernized and repainted per NATO standards.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

By the way, what are good historicals blogs to follow?

I like this guy's painting style, and he's just about to release a book on making winter terrain:

http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogspot.se/

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

West germans standing ready to defend their homeland.

Tank Commander Claus (he's a stapler fahrer in his civilian life) is flanked by two PAH as he advances to the front.

This is it for me with Team Yankee stuff until the remainder of my army arrives. I've got Marders, Panzergrenadiers, Gepards and Leopard 1s coming to join the party.

To tide you over, have some glorious german music from 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4
Dschinghis Khan - Moskau 1979

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Frobbe posted:

West germans standing ready to defend their homeland.

Tank Commander Claus (he's a stapler fahrer in his civilian life) is flanked by two PAH as he advances to the front.

This is it for me with Team Yankee stuff until the remainder of my army arrives. I've got Marders, Panzergrenadiers, Gepards and Leopard 1s coming to join the party.

To tide you over, have some glorious german music from 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4
Dschinghis Khan - Moskau 1979

Wanna fight my Motor Rifles

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cessna posted:

Yes, "Battlefield NORTHAG." They released a teaser of the cover a few months ago, and not a word since.

I'd really like to see it happen.

Will said "sometime around now next year" last time I spoke to him, which was about a month or two ago. Short summary is he's major keen on doing it but it's a new bug for him so he's reliant on assistance to research for it (and obviously isn't writing it personally).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of PSC, they're doing an expansion for The Great War to add the French.

Apparently they hired someone specifically to handle the Kickstarter this time around.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I loving love Footsore Miniatures line of basically everything.

BUT I HATE DRILLING OUT TINY MINIATURE MANS HANDS TO FIT SPEARS.

Just needed to vent there. I still love these tiny men.

EDIT: How long would a late Roman cavalry spear be? I have 100mm wireframe spears but I need to cut them down in length to match the 28mm size but all the loving sources are conflicting.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 20, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
THis came up in a FB BA group thread.

How about "No, gently caress you very much"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flames of War developer: why not?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You mean here is our new expansion "Tigers of the Orient."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, that would screw the Russians, so I'm sure Battlefront will allow it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

DiHK posted:

THis came up in a FB BA group thread.

How about "No, gently caress you very much"

Well it's his hobby so you are just a grognard no-fun no-friends person if you dont like it. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DJ Dizzy posted:

...you are just a grognard no-fun no-friends person...
It hurts because it's true... :smithicide:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's true, I hate fun.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm fun! I have a beautiful pink panther in 15mm. The reason I wouldn't play with Mr. Lovelace is because he wants to mix some of the best infantry in BA with some of the best tanks.

Like, dude, suck it up and take you're chi-haha

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah that guy realy isn't that bright for wanting to spent ~500 points on a tank instead of skinny man armed only with bamboo spears.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

It all started out so peacefully that morning in the westgerman border town of karbadstadt, until the rumble of 17 east bloc tanks made the civilians scurry for their basements under a preliminary soviet artillery barrage.

The only NATO units in the area were 4 Leopard II. Would they hold against the massive assault?

After half an hour of intense gunfire, it ended up with a hollow victory for the eastgerman invaders. They'd defeated the wessies, but lost 16 tanks.

The town of karbadstadt would never be the same again.

This was my first game of Team Yankee, but having played a bunch of FoW V4 it went smoothly, ruleswise. Leopard 2s are deadly as all hell versus east bloc tanks, and the T-55 can't even damage it from the front! We played a 44 point game purely because that was the max amount my opponent could put on the table, hence why i'm running an illegal list. Regardless of that, fun was had!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
There's a Black Friday sale on, and there's a British retailer doing 50% off Mid War Flames of War. So so tempted to get myself about 70 points of Desert Brits for just over £50.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Frobbe posted:

This was my first game of Team Yankee, but having played a bunch of FoW V4 it went smoothly, ruleswise. Leopard 2s are deadly as all hell versus east bloc tanks, and the T-55 can't even damage it from the front! We played a 44 point game purely because that was the max amount my opponent could put on the table, hence why i'm running an illegal list. Regardless of that, fun was had!

Glad you had fun, but that image is everything I hate about FoW/TY - those are some densely packed tanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is some insanely dense tank mush alright.

tomdidiot posted:

There's a Black Friday sale on, and there's a British retailer doing 50% off Mid War Flames of War. So so tempted to get myself about 70 points of Desert Brits for just over £50.
Link?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

That is some insanely dense tank mush alright.

Link?

http://www.warboargames.co.uk/black-friday-sale/?sort=newest&page=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks. There's some decent deals on in that lot. I might have to buy some stuff.