Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jedit posted:

I'm not one of the now 1500 people ponying up £30 for it, but what is self amalgamating tape?

It’s tape that sticks to itself really well to the extent that it becomes a seamless blob.

It’s better than duck tape or electrical tape in many situations where you can wrap the object tightly and need a tight seal but you can’t use it to do something like stick a poster to a wall.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SpacePig posted:

Goop for Dudes sounds like some sort of all-purpose cream you'd find in some hipster shaving supply store. So start from there.

I was thinking more just general goop that doesn't pretend to be useful. Possibly with food colouring. Can be ordered by the can, tub or barrel and delivered to your door. Goop for you!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Inescapable Duck posted:

I was thinking more just general goop that doesn't pretend to be useful. Possibly with food colouring. Can be ordered by the can, tub or barrel and delivered to your door. Goop for you!

Is there an app?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ahh. You mean skub?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CollegeCop posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vtol/bodycopter

We only need 20,000 people to donate $100 each to raise $2,000,000! Then we can build the prototype of our machine that violates several engineering principles.

Oh. and our reward levels? They are all basically the same thing: a .jpg and a digital certificate! Except for the highest reward, which is a .jpg, a certificate, and inclusion on our email list!

You can help make the project I have been working on for 15 years a reality!*

*Reality not included

I think this is my favourite Kickstarter video so far.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

tuyop posted:

I think this is my favourite Kickstarter video so far.

Pretty sweet guillotine.

I love these videos that don't even try to do the whole "kickstarter style" video with the upbeat music and snazzy presentation. This video and the guy with the football power armor make me laugh so much. They clearly put some work into making the thing they're showing off, but then to show it to the world they're just like, "here record me with my phone and I'll upload it."

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TDPT6Jncc

Jolo has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 10, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s tape that sticks to itself really well to the extent that it becomes a seamless blob.

It’s better than duck tape or electrical tape in many situations where you can wrap the object tightly and need a tight seal but you can’t use it to do something like stick a poster to a wall.

Yea, it sticks to itself but not other things. Like vet wrap on animals' injuries, sticks to itself but not their fur. :3:

https://www.amazon.com/Adherent-Adhering-Stick-Bandage-Inches/dp/B00MKAHMFO

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
They use it now whenever I get blood draws, which is way too often, and then I have to paw ineffectually at it with my gnarled arthritic hands until my husband comes home and releases me. Invalid Lyfe!

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

senrath posted:

Very poor machine translation from a project based in Hong Kong.

No, I get that it is a poor machine translation. I just don't get what the product IS.

What is energy war clothing?

Why is a guy wearing light-up packing material while he sings?

Is voice activated light-up packing material really useful at night? At sea? In the mountains?

How can voice activated light-up packing material be used to explore, rescue, and save?

Why are there no rewards levels, just the "Make a pledge" field?

Even if you ignore the poor translation, the whole thing is just a box full of WTF.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CollegeCop posted:

the whole thing is just a box full of WTF.

Fashion.txt

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

CollegeCop posted:

We only need 20,000 people to donate $100 each to raise $2,000,000! Then we can build the prototype of our machine that violates several engineering principles.

Oh. and our reward levels? They are all basically the same thing: a .jpg and a digital certificate! Except for the highest reward, which is a .jpg, a certificate, and inclusion on our email list!

*Reality not included

When i saw this video posted in the OSHA thread I thought it was just a weirdo hobbyist who had wasted a lot of money on a napkin idea that was proud that he had managed to get the thing to turn on after strapping a bunch of batteries to a metal frame.

I didn't realize this was a new paradigm in human mobility. Sorry, a patent pending new paradigm in human mobility.

VictorianQueerLit has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Nov 10, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CollegeCop posted:

*Reality not included

Hey, for that amount of money they could buy a Flyboard Air and hire the highly-trained olympic athlete you need to fly one of those and not die.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Nov 10, 2017

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
A post with this video (from a guy "raising awareness" for his brother's company) showed up on reddit this morning and was removed from the front page pretty fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Nw8s7nz0k
The original reddit thread is here, kickstarter link is here. It's a lock that lets package carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS) scan your delivery and set it inside a secure box on your porch. It is of course a smart device that contacts you and has to be connected to wifi to work properly. As many people in the thread pointed out, most delivery drivers don't have time to mess with things like that, and I can't imagine the person that has money to waste on a smart lock has to deal with constant package theft with this being their only option. It's also just a pet peeve of mine that people are constantly ordering bullshit from the web and their whole lives have to revolve around when they're getting their next delivery.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How about the same thing but not smart, a big metal box with one way flaps ?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

unpacked robinhood posted:

How about the same thing but not smart, a big metal box with one way flaps ?

Intriguing. Can you explain what the companion app does?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

How do you plan to monetize it?
I mean beyond the purchase of the initial core hardware.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

klafbang posted:

Intriguing. Can you explain what the companion app does?
Releases the hounds!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
You think that’s stupid?

Amazon has just launched basically the same product, with the minor difference that it lets delivery men into your house.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What's to stop thieves from taking bolt cutters to the lock or just walking away with the box?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

How do you plan to monetize it?
I mean beyond the purchase of the initial core hardware.

Flaps have planned obsolescence, must be replaced quarterly or will begin swinging out as well.

super sweet best pal posted:

What's to stop thieves from taking bolt cutters to the lock or just walking away with the box?

It's got a big "KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE" engraved in it so that people know that it's dumb and valueless, and also anything inside is probably a bad purchase as well.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

You think that’s stupid?

Amazon has just launched basically the same product, with the minor difference that it lets delivery men into your house.

I love living in the world where we're terrified of our neighbors but give giant corporations access to everything.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mullitt posted:

I love living in the world where we're terrified of our neighbors but give giant corporations access to everything.

every drat day this krang tweet comes closer to being reality

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/875714916723826689

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

Nothing, it's about deterrence and avoiding opportunistic theft.
Do people who steal poo poo off porches really plan ahead a whole lot ?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If the door is opened without using the PackageHole(tm) app, it'll automatically activate thermite charges (sold separately) to ensure the package is not stolen.

(PackageHole(tm) is not responsible for unintentional discharge, fire, hacking, medical damages, lost packages, or deaths caused by using PackageHole(tm). Order today!)

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

DoctorTristan posted:

You think that’s stupid?

Around here Amazon uses lasership and they just launch your package from the curb and aim for the stairwell.

Also theyd probably just mark an absurd reason for failing to deliver it and call it a day.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

You think that’s stupid?

Mullitt posted:

You know more people are probably pissed off that the parents in that Amazon video being different colors.

edit:
Oh, wait. That's Liza Koshy isn't it?

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Nov 16, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Delivery guys here will just roll slowly past your house and glance towards it and if you're not literally standing in the path of his vehicle with your arms out ready to receive the package it will marked as undeliverable and sent to a collection point in bumfuck nowhere. I highly doubt they'll ever use a barcode scanning delivery box or any other thing that takes even the tiniest bit of effort.

Actually I'm pretty sure most delivery guys just give their truck's GPS tracker to some kid and ask them to bike around the town for a couple of hours while they gently caress off to the pub. Then they just mark every package as undeliverable and drive back to the depot.

e: Hahaha. As I write this my coworker comes back fuming because he's waiting for a package to be delivered to our office. Apparently the delivery guy had come up to our reception, looked through the glass door, then turned around and left. Because of the layout of our office you can't see the reception desk from the door, but there's a very visible doorbell right next to the door and it clearly says "Company - Reception. Please ring bell."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mullitt posted:

It's also just a pet peeve of mine that people are constantly ordering bullshit from the web and their whole lives have to revolve around when they're getting their next delivery.

Especially when they just love to bitch and moan about their petty conspiracy theories of drivers intentionally not delivering packages and hyperbolically rant and rave about the lengths they have to go to get them as if anyone finds that interesting or entertaining.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As seen on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0Zfrns3Xs

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Um, what?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/176192958/mygappie-app?ref=category_newest

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Safe your girls!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Excellent, been needing to keep my gappies on a shorter leash

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Finally a campaign that doesn’t promise anything it cannot keep.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

What was it before it changed to "nolonger" in every field?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Peanut President posted:

What was it before it changed to "nolonger" in every field?

MyGappie posted:

Imagine...

...you're on the road, feeling unsafe, and you'd like to contact someone immediately to let that person know where you are. You'd also like to let others know you've managed to contact a friend and that you'll be able to reach out for help.

With the mygappie app ("gappie" is Dutch slang for friend or buddy), you'll be able to call all your gappies at once! As soon as one of them picks up their phone, all the other calls will automatically be cancelled. The other gappies will receive the reassuring message that another gappie answered your call.

A second benefit is that this app will enable you to share your location with all of your gappies at any time. You could even share the route you're planning to take, before hitting the road.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bozzou/pinhole-pro-s-worlds-widest-professional-pinhole-l

Let's turn a $2000 DSLR camera into something basically identical, quality-wise, to those old piece-of-crap single-use disposable film cameras!

ACTUAL SAMPLE IMAGE FROM THE KICKSTARTER PROMO PAGE:

quote:

Photographers turned to the endless pursuit of sharpness, resolution and speed. That trend still dominates today. However many photographers like yourself have started to realize that high resolution and high specs can not replace the authenticity of analogue photography that’s more personal, original, unfiltered with a timeless 'point of view'. Pinhole photography provides exactly that. After all it is the closest to what a human eye can see.

:what:

This feels about a half-step removed from the woo that is used to market to gullible audiophiles. I'm surprised there isn't a line in there about the "warmth" and "richness" of pinhole photography. Also, if you're using a digital camera, :ssh: it's still not analogue

quote:

$60,161 pledged of $7,874 goal

700% of their funding goal for this.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Nov 23, 2017

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Marketing stupidity aside, that's not so bad for a novelty camera filter. It's a little overpriced, though.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah, but it's literally just a pinhole. You could get basically the same effect for 99.9% cheaper by taping a piece of black paper over the camera's lens mount and pricking it with a needle.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or, if you want something slightly nicer, here's one for $30: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/915823-REG/rising_rpsc001_camera_pinhole_body_cap.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Or you can apply a lovely instagram filter for free.