Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Billzasilver posted:

Sweet. Are 2 and 3 also good?

2 is the second half of Syberia's story, 3 is its own new thing starting after the end of 2. Get 1 and 2 and see how you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2 is the second half of Syberia's story, 3 is its own new thing starting after the end of 2. Get 1 and 2 and see how you go.

I remember seeing a pretty bad review of Syberia 3 (don't remember who it was, though). I own the first two, but haven't played them yet. Did 3 really drop the ball?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I haven't played it but by all accounts Syberia 3 is indeed bad and falls short in pretty much every aspect from story to playability. Even big Syberia fans tend to find little good in it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Mechwarrior 2 series isn't something I desperately need to appear on GOG.
You can still track down copies of the Mechwarrior 2 game discs on ebay/amazon, and getting the Mechwarrior 2 series running on modern systems is very easy.
Just avoid buying the 3D accelerated & demo versions, and be aware that some releases of Mechwarrior 2 titles are Windows only.
I ended up buying all 3 Mechwarrior 2 titles off ebay for around $40 total (that includes buying the DOS only versions + the Platinum trilogy Windows versions).

Mech2.org is a entire website dedicated towards the MechWarrior 2 series, and even hosts a IPX relay for Mechwarrior 2 multiplayer connectivity.

MechVM works great, setting up DOSBox for the DOS versions of the Mechwarrior 2 series takes a bit more time but works just as well as MechVM.
Mechwarrior 2 vanilla multiplayer is freeware as of 1996 (google NetMech), and still works in 2017. (just need to enable IPX emulation, which DOSBox can also do).
Mechwarrior 2: Mercs multiplayer works in 2017 as well, but isn't compatible with Mechwarrior 2 vanilla NetMech.
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear has no multiplayer support but does offer 1990's VR goggle support.

The only Battletech games that don't have competing current/upcoming "official" modern versions are the 2 old Infocom Battletech games* & the MechAssault** series.

*the 2nd Infocom Battletech game sort of infringes on HBS's upcoming game, so GOG release chance is pretty unlikely but possible.
**XBox games, so yeah, remotely less of a chance of appearing on GOG.

Meanwhile I had a hell of a time trying to get Mercs to work properly. I think I managed it eventually on one of my computers but never again.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Cthulhu has gone back to sleep again.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth_b7169/post144

vv good one

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 13, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth_b7169/post203

Recall of Cthulhu.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's still in my download options...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Peas and Rice posted:

It's still in my download options...

You retain the ability to download removed games in your account, new customers just can't buy them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

evilmiera posted:

I know brand loyalty should never be a thing, but at this point despite loving Robotech as a kid I'd much rather Harmony Gold ended up bankrupt so they would stop with their dumbass copyright fuckery. It has been going on for decades now and is getting old. Macek dying on top of that should have meant the end for the company proper. They aren't propagating the legacy of the shows or mechs or whatever, all they are doing is stopping people from enjoying the legacy proper or evolving it.

I don't know what it would take to send HG bankrupt. At this point I think it's basically an office with six people in it, most of which are lawyers, and a filing cabinet full of copyright paperwork and forms for submitting law suits.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The Long Journey Home; is it worth it at a 25% discount?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You retain the ability to download removed games in your account, new customers just can't buy them.

The sole exception, I think, was Arma II, which had its downloads removed.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Should I nab a copy with the fan fixes intact, in case they're gone when its rereleased?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Agree 100% with Freedom Fighters. What a great game that was.

Also, locus please, although that one seems like it is impossible to get working.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

ilmucche posted:

According to a recent interview, I/O Interactive kept the rights to Freedom Fighters (and Hitman, of course) when they split from Square Enix, so that one's a little more reasonable now than it might have been six months ago.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

God drat, I shoulnd't have waited on getting it on a sale since GOG version worked well from what I've read.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The GOG Black Friday sale started yesterday. MDK is free to grab (though there's only five hours left at the time of this posting), and you can StarCrawlers as a free bonus if you spend $15.

I was looking at XCOM bundle. I'm not familiar with the classic XCOM games. I got the first game free through Humble Bundle, but the other games in the series seemed sort of interesting. Terror of the Deep I know is infamous for its high difficulty, but I always thought the underwater setting was interesting. I don't know anything about Apocalypse (apart from a very old article saying that the ending was bad) or Interceptor, and Enforcer I remember being chastised for being a bad third-person shooter.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Max Wilco posted:

The GOG Black Friday sale started yesterday. MDK is free to grab (though there's only five hours left at the time of this posting), and you can StarCrawlers as a free bonus if you spend $15.

I was looking at XCOM bundle. I'm not familiar with the classic XCOM games. I got the first game free through Humble Bundle, but the other games in the series seemed sort of interesting. Terror of the Deep I know is infamous for its high difficulty, but I always thought the underwater setting was interesting. I don't know anything about Apocalypse (apart from a very old article saying that the ending was bad) or Interceptor, and Enforcer I remember being chastised for being a bad third-person shooter.

Apocalypse is a bit janky but it's a good follow up to the original XCOM. Interceptor is an... okay space flight sim and Enforcer is pretty awful.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

In either case, you should use https://openxcom.org/ to make the game as smooth an experience as possible.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Also, locus please, although that one seems like it is impossible to get working.

oh poo poo, i haven't heard about Locus in forever and that game loving owns

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any news about Call of Cthulhu DCoTE coming back? I'm annoyed that I was waiting for a sale and missed it. My steam copy is nearly unplayable even with some patching.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's me, the one person who likes Enforcer.

...Though hardly enough to say everyone should go buy it right now!!! But if you can get past the clunky controls/camera it's an okay arcade-y third-person Unreal shooter with some fun guns and powerups.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

It's me, the one person who likes Enforcer.

...Though hardly enough to say everyone should go buy it right now!!! But if you can get past the clunky controls/camera it's an okay arcade-y third-person Unreal shooter with some fun guns and powerups.

That was sort of the impression I got from it. I figured if I was going to buy the bundle, I'd give it a try.

Mainly, though, I was curious about Terror from the Deep. Like I said, the underwater setting is interesting, but I was reading the summary from the LP in the archive, and it sounds like it's really bad and unfair.

LP Archive | X-COM: Terror of the Deep posted:

Terror From The Deep is a terrible game. Nearly everything is simply a reskin of previous items in UFO Defense. The things that were changed were terrible. They include weapons that no longer work above water, Aliens now like to hide in 1x1 closet tiles for the duration of entire map, the best weapon was nerfed, all ammo capacities were nerfed. The battlefield was changed to be far too large. They added many multi-part missions. And the difficulty, OH! The difficulty! There was a bug present in UFO Defense that reset your difficulty to the easiest setting once you reloaded a save. So when Microprose received feedback that UFO Defense was too easy, they wanted to make sure that people wouldn't have this complaint about TFTD. TFTD's easiest difficulty is harder than UFO Defense's hardest difficulty, superhuman. No one played on superhuman difficulty before TFTD's release. You see where this is going?

OpenXCOM states that it's not supported yet, but do there exist any mods that re-balance the game?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

OpenXCOM states that it's not supported yet
The nightly builds support Terror From The Deep and are several years newer than the milestone build.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did anyone here get one more notifications from login attempts from Brazil or other third-world countries? For a week now I'm seeing those sort of anecdotes from different points of the Internet to the point it seems clear that there was a massive security breach on GOG, that a ton of user information leaked, and that the passwords were either stored in plain text or hashed in an easy to break form. Yet, no word from GOG. No denial, no "it happened but we are taking measures so it won't happen again and meanwhile we apologize and you should immediately change your password", nothing, let's sweep it all under the rug and please spend more money with us, look at our black friday sales, they are to die for.

The silver lining is that them activating 2FA by default for every account a few months back may be the only thing keeping people's accounts from being resold on the cheap. On the other hand, if you wanted your email address to remain private and/or if you reused your GOG password anywhere, you may be hosed and they aren't going to tell you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

and/or if you reused your GOG password anywhere
This is probably it. It's probably someone throwing user/pass dumps from some other breach at the wall and seeing what sticks.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Haven't gotten any notifications of the sort myself at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
After a lengthy stay in legal hell, the Descent series is back and 40% off for Black Friday.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
holy crap.. a good 75% of my wishlist went on sale.

also, while i'm generally kinda meh about getting NEW games on GOG, i got a free copy of starcrawlers for spending more then fifteen bucks! :toot:

said offer is still good for the next few days.
pretty pumped as i've been wanting to play this for quite awhile.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GoG's just announced that in about 20 minutes they're releasing Jazz Jackrabbit!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GoG's just announced that in about 20 minutes they're releasing Jazz Jackrabbit!

*CliffyB sheds a tear*

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now THIS is interesting, because it means that they'll have finally gotten their mitts on the pre-Unreal Epic stuff.

EDIT: And they're up! Jazz 1 + CD + Both Xmases, Jazz 2 + Secret Files + Xmas, and Epic Pinball

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 30, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

oh my god

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

My sentiments exactly. :stare:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm very late to the connect party but it keeps saying that I have no eligible games. I've had a look at the list of games in this thread and I have some on steam they're just not coming through. Has this been a problem for anyone else, is it a tech support issue?

Just reading through GOG again and maybe I've just missed out as they are time limited offers, which is fair enough I'll have to be quicker on the uptake next time.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 2, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

I'm very late to the connect party but it keeps saying that I have no eligible games. I've had a look at the list of games in this thread and I have some on steam they're just not coming through. Has this been a problem for anyone else, is it a tech support issue?

Just reading through GOG again and maybe I've just missed out as they are time limited offers, which is fair enough I'll have to be quicker on the uptake next time.

Contact tech support, there's something fucky with their system and they have to manually reset it for your account.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Contact tech support, there's something fucky with their system and they have to manually reset it for your account.

Even if I've only tried connect for the first time two days ago? I might not be reading it right but it looks like you only have a limited window to connect certain steam games to GOG.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yep, all "connect" events are limited time only.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Thanks, so that confirms why I'm not getting any games recognised. I've been really neglectful of mu GOG account didn't realise I had so many games on it or what games I had. Going to have to keep an eye out from now on.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

If you're seeing "NO ELIGIBLE GAMES FOUND" then that's the correct dialog.

If it says "ACCOUNTS CONNECTED Looking for eligible games. Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience." with no option to refresh to check again and nothing changes, then that means the website/your account is hosed while it tries to check in with Steam and you need to contact support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

I just redeemed the first two STALKER games on GOG from my physical copies and it didn't work until I put the letters in capitals