Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goose willis posted:

I thought Games Workshop was like NO THEY DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE STOP ASKING US

Or did they backtrack on that

They've been in the Abhuman list since at least 6th. The NO THEY DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE was more pre-6th.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Squat

I'm thinking of having dorfs or steampunk dorfs (whatever the new GW zeppelin guys are called) crew Baneblades and call them an "Independent Abhuman Heavy Tank Battalion" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Russ has a quote saying how cool the Squats are, which automatically makes them bad because Russ is bad.

But then Lord Duncan of Thinned Coats has a 30k Squat Militia army so I'm torn.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Schadenboner posted:

Squats literally exist in 40k. They aren't even on the endangered list anymore?

Although the idea of them being a freestanding army is pretty dumb. They're the most human-like of the Abhuman species, they're fieldable under Guard rules already.

Alternatively field them as White Scars or Ravenwing to represent the Engineer brotherhood expeditionary force bike/trike army with some exo-armor hearthguard.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SteelMentor posted:

Russ has a quote saying how cool the Squats are, which automatically makes them bad because Russ is bad.

But then Lord Duncan of Thinned Coats has a 30k Squat Militia army so I'm torn.

But the Leman Russ tank is cool and good.

Although, he apparently hated/was hated by Imperial Army units so maybe it's a troll.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Schadenboner posted:

They've been in the Abhuman list since at least 6th. The NO THEY DO NOT EXIST ANYMORE was more pre-6th.

Yeah the last time I played before now was third edition and I didn't start again until around the release of Traitor Legions at the end of 7th

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

On the topic of paper terrain.

This forum is loaded with stuff http://cardboard-warriors.proboards.com

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pendent posted:

Somebody on Bolter and Chainsword got a peek at the new White Dwarf. Sounds like Blood Angels will be up for preorder on the 2nd with a release on the 9th, will be getting most of the stuff we've been missing from the Vanilla codex like the Hunter/Stalker/Stormhawk. There's also supposed to be an upgrade kit and a unique Lieutenant model being released as well. It sounds pretty credible and matches up with the timelines that we would expect.

Still no word yet on rules, drat it.

Hopefully that bodes well for the Dangles getting their missing stuff as well.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Cross-posted from the 30k Slack Thread:

:toxx: complete!

I’ll give this evil bastard a couple of little plants and gloss his gems once the regular layers of varnish are added, but ~my blending~ will be a lot harder to see after the cotes, so I decided to document him in his fragile glory.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Did they enlarge his head on the physical model because I remember all the old art back in the day had his head comically small in the terminator armor headpiece

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
While generally on the subject of terrain, does anyone know if any shops are having a Black Friday sale on terrain besides these guys? For that matter, is anyone having a sale on minis?

I'm getting a bonus for the holidays and want to make it last hard--terrain seems like the way to go--but Papa needs some Hive Guard and a Trygon :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Cross-posted from the 30k Slack Thread:

:toxx: complete!

I’ll give this evil bastard a couple of little plants and gloss his gems once the regular layers of varnish are added, but ~my blending~ will be a lot harder to see after the cotes, so I decided to document him in his fragile glory.
Still loving rules. Like I said in the 30k thread, I love the super dark sea green armor; it's a great alternative to the normal black. However, I think some parts could use another highlight. Again though, that may be my personal style influencing my opinions so feel free to ignore me.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
That Horus is inspiring. I would become a traitor and die for that model.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

And on today's episode of It Came From eBay

40K Sponge Bob custom Space Marine Imperial Guard War Walker

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
New Marbo model...

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Did they enlarge his head on the physical model because I remember all the old art back in the day had his head comically small in the terminator armor headpiece

First reply to a fantastic and gorgeous model isn't complementing it, not even acknowledging it. Instead it's just goose, being wrong again.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

They're not very consistent about the size of his head

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
On one hand, that's a drat nice new model. On the other hand, it almost feels weird having a different Sly Marbo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

New Marbo model...

:madmax:

Totally going to pick this up.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That is a sick model and I really hope they update the Catachan model range because they are infinitely cooler than Cadians

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TKIY posted:

New Marbo model...

Shout out to my boy Audrey 2 for his guest appearance on the new Marbo model

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Shout out to my boy Audrey 2 for his guest appearance on the new Marbo model

That's just a Catachan houseplant. Straken got it for Marbo's housewarming party.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Marbo owns, day one purchase. Going to hang the poster next to my wedding photos.

In other newss, it turns out I was literally the first person in the Adepticon Thursday Gentlemen, so I'm totally in!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Marbo is sick

That Horus paintjob is doubleplus sick, great work Sulecrist

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pendent posted:

It is rumored that smite spam is also being nerfed separately to any unit changes as well. I think we'd been hearing it was going down to three casts per turn, although that's obviously just a rumor.
Yeah I heard that too, but if it was legit you'd think they would have at least hinted at it in yesterday's blog.

Malefic Lords aside, were there any other practical and egregiously effective ways to smite-spam that couldn't be solved with similar points hikes?

PierreTheMime posted:

This works for Tyranid but essentially invalidates Daemon Princes.

Because Daemon Princes were deliberately given a reduced value to work with the existing rule, just like Gulliman, OOE, etc. Ideally they should all have more wounds instead of getting a reduced stat line to skirt under an arbitrary limit.

I like an 18-24" range for this because it still prevents the character being blapped on the first turn by a billion lascannons, but gives an opponent a chance to shoot them with regular bolter equivalents before they're in charge range. I think 6" or 12" would have very little effect as many of these units will move much farther in a single turn.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Primaris Psykers. I don't know about the Malefic Lord's other powers, but I feel like if Primaris were costed much more then you wouldn't take them at all since Astropaths deliver the same powers for a third of the price.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

smite-spam

Incidentally, here's a list I was thinking of trying out. The idea is an overwhelming volume of Smite and invuln saves able to get in position where needed using Kraken advance benefits. Hopefully I get to fire off a psychic barrage or two as well. Mortal wounds for everyone!

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [111 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [51 PL, 858pts] ++

Hive Fleet: Kraken

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 172pts]: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Chameleonic Mutation, Toxin Sacs, Warlord Trait: Mind Eater

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 172pts]: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 65pts]: 13x Hormagaunt

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 65pts]: 13x Hormagaunt

Termagants [3 PL, 40pts]: 10x Termagant (Fleshborer)

+ Elites +

Maleceptor [9 PL, 172pts]: Massive Scything Talons

Maleceptor [9 PL, 172pts]: Massive Scything Talons

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [24 PL, 463pts] ++

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 182pts]: Heavy Venom Cannon, Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 182pts]: Heavy Venom Cannon, Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots

+ Troops +

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 33pts]: 3x Ripper Swarm

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [36 PL, 679pts] ++

+ HQ +

Neurothrope [4 PL, 70pts]

Neurothrope [4 PL, 70pts]

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Zoanthropes [8 PL, 160pts]: 4x Zoanthrope

Zoanthropes [8 PL, 160pts]: 4x Zoanthrope

Zoanthropes [6 PL, 120pts]: 3x Zoanthrope

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

How do the Zoanthropes work? Obviously you can do the big smite stratagem, otherwise are they a bunch of individual Smite casters?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

How do the Zoanthropes work? Obviously you can do the big smite stratagem, otherwise are they a bunch of individual Smite casters?

Pretty much. Between the advance rolls and 24" Smite they have a decent threat range, and they're a good choice to channel support powers like Catalyst through to reduce the risk of perils on a HT. The Neurothropes make them a bit more reliable & resilient to boot. The psychic barrage thing is just something to try for if the opportunity arises. I have a few regular opponents who love using clumped up firebases with a supporting character or two in the middle, and I think it would be hilarious to cripple that for 1CP.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's basically imperial_guard.txt, please gently caress off

It's really weird to me that Nids have gone from being a joke to being an army I'm legit worried about.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Glorious, innit?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

Glorious, innit?

I'm glad the bug boys are good again and I hope that the BA and DE books are just as good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

New Marbo model...

I like that they gave him Snake Pliskens gun.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm the scope mounted on the suppressor

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
gently caress yeah, new Marbo! Don’t care about the model, but excited to see his rules.

goose willis posted:

That is a sick model and I really hope they update the Catachan model range because they are infinitely cooler than Cadians

I would be tempted to use resculpted catachans with some 3rd party bits to create a loving muscle regiment of ultimate badasses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks. Yeah I'm aware of the Shrikes – I find it pretty weird that they wouldn't include a usable unit within the codex.

Pop question: Is it generally accepted that Tyranid Prime's protection aura applies to Shrikes too? They don't have the Tyranid Warrior keyword ...

They're no included due to a lack of an official model. Index use is basically just a little bone thrown to people who've converted some in old editions. :shrug:

As far as Tyranid primes go, there's probably no universally agreed thing here. Competitively, pretty much no. Casually, talk to your opponent. With friends, talk to your friends.

[edit] Wait gently caress, now I want index rules for the Parasite of Mortrex! :argh:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 23, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
White dwarf leaks have the easy build blight haulers at £15.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

New toys up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/23/revealed-new-warhammer-holiday-season/

Unique Primaris Lieutenants for BA/DA, the easy build stuff including the Blighthauler, and new DG Termies/Lord

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Artum posted:

White dwarf leaks have the easy build blight haulers at £15.

Do you have prices for the rest of the kits?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

New toys up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/23/revealed-new-warhammer-holiday-season/

Unique Primaris Lieutenants for BA/DA, the easy build stuff including the Blighthauler, and new DG Termies/Lord

These are sweet. Gonna pick up those new DG terminators too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That terminator with the giant smile on his face is amazing.