Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm also in the "my ancient mouse is dying" with my MX510's scroll wheel not scrolling down all the time anymore. The infinite scroll wheel of the G502 looks pretty nifty but the mouse looks ugly and I've lived without that feature so far.

I'm looking at the G402/G403, but are there any other mice that have infinite scroll that don't look like Optimus Prime's fist in the $45-65 price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I dunno, I use freewheeling as an alternative to pgup/pgdown. I disengage the clutch and let it spin to scroll up/down through things rapidly, and then stop by touching my finger to the wheel or clicking the clutch back on. I don't *care* about feedback, because the feedback that I'm using is the sound of the wheel spinning so I can tell if it's slowing down and needs another flick or not, or my eyes, because I've hit the bottom of the page.

The feedback for me is for knowing how many lines are scrolling by and the speed at which it’s happening. I know a lot of people dig the freewheel though

qsvui posted:

What the gently caress is the point of braiding? Why is this poo poo on every USB cable now?

So the cable is less likely to snag on things I think, also a bit more protected against abrasion.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

qsvui posted:

What the gently caress is the point of braiding? Why is this poo poo on every USB cable now?

I've noticed the braiding that Logitech uses has that problem a lot, I have had two different mice do that exact thing. They are stiffer braiding, my Corsair mouse is similar. The newer Razer mouse I have has a very soft braid that makes it very flexible and seems great. I am tempted to go with the G703 though, almost bought one when it was $50 at Best Buy a week ago but missed out. Logitech's claims on their wireless are pretty bold, would love to test them in action.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose Mengelez posted:

Bought a G502 with a G440 hard mat and its a really great mouse/pad combo but the sharp edges of the mat have started chewing right through the braided cable. Worse still, further down the cable I've ended up with this bullshit;

(not my pic but same make/model)

Had to snip the braiding the straighten out the kink (probably voiding the warranty, doh.) I've patched it up with duct tape for now but eventually I'm just going to be stuck with the laborious task of just completely un-braiding it.

So I unbraided it (just grip with your thumbnail and pull and it unravels incredibly easy) and its pretty much halved the weight of the cable, almost feels wireless now (comparatively).

As for g440 mat I just put a very thin strip of duct tape along the top edge with about 3mm of overhang. Hopefully it'll prevent excessive wear and tear on the (now exposed) rubber insulation. The reasoning behind this; out of curiosity I grabbed an off-cut of similar wire I had lying around and rubbed it vigorously on the sharp edge (to simulate prolonged stress) and it started slicing into it. Not good. :ohdear:

Despite these easily fixable problems, I'd still highly recommend this mouse/surface as they completely blow my old shogun bros ballista/cloth pad combo out of the water.

qsvui posted:

The braiding on my headphone cables (kingston hyper-x cloud II) is super high quality and helps prevents kinks from forming in the wire, which can cause the insulation to split and the actual wiring to break if you don't keep on top of it (I've lost a few cheaper cans to this). Really high quality braiding is super nice and synonymous with quality, that's probably why most manufacturers are cheaply wrapping their cables in lovely twine so they can stamp "BRAIDED CABLE" on the box.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pik_d posted:

I'm also in the "my ancient mouse is dying" with my MX510's scroll wheel not scrolling down all the time anymore. The infinite scroll wheel of the G502 looks pretty nifty but the mouse looks ugly and I've lived without that feature so far.

I'm looking at the G402/G403, but are there any other mice that have infinite scroll that don't look like Optimus Prime's fist in the $45-65 price range?

The 502 looks more tasteful in person in my experience. The marketing pics emphasise the aggressive styling, but when you’re looking at it from behind on your desk it looks mostly like a regular mouse.

My only complaint is that when I try to click the mouse wheel half the time it registers a side click. The mouse wheel actually has three buttons, the usual middle click and you can push the wheel left and right.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
g502 looks much nicer in person, agreed. I'd also say that you are using it, not looking at it, for the most part, so imo who really cares how it looks as long as it's not a RAT9 or whatever. But ymmv

it is tough to beat the g403 for relatively classy looks at the moment, though. I'm using one now and it's practically elegant

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

skooma512 posted:

My only complaint is that when I try to click the mouse wheel half the time it registers a side click. The mouse wheel actually has three buttons, the usual middle click and you can push the wheel left and right.
I think you're literally holding it wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Josh Lyman posted:

I had this same problem a lot with the first side-scrolling capable mouse I had, I think it was the original G5. Haven't experienced it on anything since though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

skooma512 posted:

The 502 looks more tasteful in person in my experience. The marketing pics emphasise the aggressive styling, but when you’re looking at it from behind on your desk it looks mostly like a regular mouse.

emdash posted:

g502 looks much nicer in person, agreed. I'd also say that you are using it, not looking at it, for the most part, so imo who really cares how it looks as long as it's not a RAT9 or whatever. But ymmv

it is tough to beat the g403 for relatively classy looks at the moment, though. I'm using one now and it's practically elegant

I've gone with the G502 in the end, with the hyper scrolling being the tipping point. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: And the "it's not really that ugly" sentiment.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 16, 2017

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

pik_d posted:

Edit: And the "it's not really that ugly" sentiment.

oh its ugly as sin (in an endearing way) but you can hide it easily with your hand, which it feels great in btw.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a coworker who literally uses his mouse upside-down.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any speculation on how much the G900 will be on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The G900 was on sale for $75 from bestbuy a week ago, so probably nothing lower than that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have a logitech g400 that's still in great shape that I love, so it's no big loss to me if there's not, BUT— is there a good logitech wireless mouse for games? I was thinking of having one less cable behind my desk, and sometimes I don't like the feel of drag the wire of my mouse has going on back there, so I thought I'd ask.

I pop in this thread every few months just to see what's what with mice, I just don't know if wireless mice are good enough for gaming or if the lag makes a noticeable difference or what.

e: looking up the 900 people are talking about on this page and seeing it's wired/wireless. That one worth giving a go?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jose Mengelez posted:

oh its ugly as sin (in an endearing way) but you can hide it easily with your hand, which it feels great in btw.

And I was noticing last night just how crisp the switches on the left and right buttons are.

It’s cool and good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah g502 is a great mouse, maybe the best shape i've used. Wish it weighed about 20g less

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Soul Glo posted:

I have a logitech g400 that's still in great shape that I love, so it's no big loss to me if there's not, BUT— is there a good logitech wireless mouse for games? I was thinking of having one less cable behind my desk, and sometimes I don't like the feel of drag the wire of my mouse has going on back there, so I thought I'd ask.

I pop in this thread every few months just to see what's what with mice, I just don't know if wireless mice are good enough for gaming or if the lag makes a noticeable difference or what.

e: looking up the 900 people are talking about on this page and seeing it's wired/wireless. That one worth giving a go?

G900, G903, G603, G403 are all great for wireless gaming. G900 is probably the least expensive of them. The G602 has input lag, which some people complain about and some people don't. I was considering it because of the shape, but decided against it because I've had problems with noticeable input lag on wired mice, let alone wireless.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

G900, G903, G603 are all great for wireless gaming. G900 is probably the least expensive of them. The G403 has input lag, which some people complain about and some people don't. I was considering it because of the shape, but decided against it because I've had problems with noticeable input lag on wired mice, let alone wireless.

G403 wireless is identical to G900/903 in terms of latency. G403 wired is ~1.2 ms faster. Where are you hearing it has input lag?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Goo posted:

G403 wireless is identical to G900/903 in terms of latency. G403 wired is ~1.2 ms faster. Where are you hearing it has input lag?

Sorry, I mean G602. G403 and G703 are the others that are good to game with (or so I've heard; haven't tried any of the wireless Logitech gaming mice other than the G900). I'll edit my post.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Ah okay - thanks for clarifying. It makes sense that people would express concern about G602 as the report rate is 2ms and the older wireless protocol could be subject to resorting to frequency hopping in really noisy environments. For the most part, though, it should still be as fast as or faster than many wired gaming mice.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I always wander into this thread thinking "I should see if there's any good deals on mice" and have consistently missed g900 sales by a week.. hopefully Black Friday comes through for me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I grabbed a Nixeus Revel off amazon. Not exactly a sale but it's the cheapest I've seen it at $35. Hoping it'll last longer than my zowie did.

Approved
Sep 8, 2003

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

I grabbed a Nixeus Revel off amazon. Not exactly a sale but it's the cheapest I've seen it at $35. Hoping it'll last longer than my zowie did.

I use that mouse currently and I really like it!

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I've got a 12 year old Logitech MX1000 that is finally wearing out. I really like the size and shape though.
I like the buttons on the side, which some logitech mice still have, but the reviews on the Mouse MX are not excellent.

Should I buy a Microsoft Surface Precision mouse?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/microsoft-surface-precision-mouse/8QC5P0D8DDJT

I wish I could buy another MX1000.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

SpaceBanditos posted:

I always wander into this thread thinking "I should see if there's any good deals on mice" and have consistently missed g900 sales by a week.. hopefully Black Friday comes through for me.

:same:

I'll be :f5: amazon, bestbuy, and newegg like a madman on black Friday. I want a G900 too but I want a good deal on one as well.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It will, Bestbuy Canada has had their G900 stock @ $100 so US locations will almost certainly dip back to ~$75 like usual

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The best buy sale is back. G900 on sale for $75 for you guys.See the following link for full list.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10869611-l...e-free-shipping

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Got Logitech's Power play Mat last night, already had a G903. Quick review: really cool. The mat also acts as a wireless receiver.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Report on my new G703.

I like it a whole lot more than my old 602. I've come to realise that the 602 was really much too long for my hand. The shape on the 703 is nicer as well, It's easier to keep a good grip on it and it feels so perfect and natural in my hand. The side buttons are great and the scroll wheel is nicer.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
How reliable are the Logitech wireless RF receivers these days? I tend to prefer Logitech aesthetically and ergonomically, but in my experience the wireless receivers have always been terrible and seem to require a direct line-of-sight on the mouse/keyboard otherwise the input is all laggy and keeps cutting out. With Microsoft wireless receivers I can practically walk two rooms away and they still operate perfectly. Mind you, this is going back about six years, so maybe things have improved since then?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I’ve had the opposite experience - the Logitech ones have always worked fine for me, the MS one that came with the keyboard/touchpad combo I used for my HTPC has behaved the way you’re complaining about.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Retroblique posted:

How reliable are the Logitech wireless RF receivers these days? I tend to prefer Logitech aesthetically and ergonomically, but in my experience the wireless receivers have always been terrible and seem to require a direct line-of-sight on the mouse/keyboard otherwise the input is all laggy and keeps cutting out. With Microsoft wireless receivers I can practically walk two rooms away and they still operate perfectly. Mind you, this is going back about six years, so maybe things have improved since then?

Anecdotally, it seems to depend on the amount of potential interference between the receiver & the mouse, check how much metal or other dense materials might obstruct it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got the MX Anywhere 2s following recommendations earlier in the thread. Based on a few hours of use, it feels great and definitely a good mouse, BT and RF connection is great to switch between my computers, but I wouldn't call it very portable at all. It's heavier and just a bit shorter than my Diamondback, so I won't be taking it with me on my vacation. Oh well, at least it wasn't my $100 :v:

E: later that day...
:siren: Holy poo poo it doesn't have middle-click :siren:

Seriously. It feels mushy as hell and is hard-coded to toggle scroll mode or something, as per their support drone: "... the middle click of the said mouse is designed for switching between hyper scroll and click-to-click function. We do not have a means to alter that".

There's a gesture button located behind the wheel that can be remapped but it's much more awkward to press. What the loving gently caress.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 23, 2017

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I've had varying experiences leading me to wonder if it's a product of the environment as posters have suggested but also possibly the specific mouse and or receiver.

I have a Performance MX which seems more particular than it should be but that's because other previous Unifying Logitech devices seemed to behave better.

Anyway, I've stopped here to give an endorsement in the cheap mouse department:

Logitech M510, like $15 or $20. I have more expensive mice but hesitant to throw them in the travel bag. I guess not a new mouse but first time I've used one, so far a great mouse for $20.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the modern day equivalent to the G9x? It's still the best mouse I've ever used, but I now mine can't lost forever. The G900 seems similar in size and form factor

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Megasabin posted:

What's the modern day equivalent to the G9x? It's still the best mouse I've ever used, but I now mine can't lost forever. The G900 seems similar in size and form factor
Pinky lifters:
Cheap: steel series coolermaster mm520
Expensive: mionix naos 7000/qg

Most g9x like shape: corsair sabre

Other wide but not huge mice:
Corsair m65

Naos qg and mm520 have the same best sensor, naos 7000 has a different, excellent sensor.

I've been using a Corsair M40, which suits me but is starting to flake. The M65 has the same best sensor as mm520/naos qg but I don't want it due to sniper button. Was looking at Sabre as the most g9ish shape, it has the previous best sensor. Then I touched a naos in a store and decided a pinky rest might actually work.

No Logitech mice really follow the g9x form. Goo has implied it's because nobody actually bought them, but it's a commonly heard request.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 24, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
the 520/530 are made by Cooler Master, not steelseries

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

E: later that day...
:siren: Holy poo poo it doesn't have middle-click :siren:

The first MX Anywhere had the same thing, the tiny button behind the wheel acts as a middle button (I guess it's mapped to something else with the Anywhere 2, but default mappings have gotten dumber over time) instead of the wheel. The wheel is not so much hard-coded as it's an actual physical switch IIRC.

I agree it's awkward and while playing with the first MX Anywhere I was hoping they'd change it in a future product iteration instead of keeping it the same/doubling down on having the wheel switch scroll modes :(

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I got the Logitech MX Master 2s to replace my stolen 902 and it's pretty great. Missing the DPI toggle from the g502, but other than that it's pretty perfect. Fits my hand well, a bit heavy to start but I got used to pretty quick, and the bluetooth is very much appreciated. The scroll wheel is the highlight though. It has an adaptive scroll wheel setting that adjusts the ratcheting, but if you turn it off it's like a very nice but still clicky wheel. With a proper scroll wheel option too.
My ideal mouse is a wireless g502 with free scroll and bluetooth, and this comes pretty close in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

The first MX Anywhere had the same thing, the tiny button behind the wheel acts as a middle button (I guess it's mapped to something else with the Anywhere 2, but default mappings have gotten dumber over time) instead of the wheel. The wheel is not so much hard-coded as it's an actual physical switch IIRC.

I agree it's awkward and while playing with the first MX Anywhere I was hoping they'd change it in a future product iteration instead of keeping it the same/doubling down on having the wheel switch scroll modes :(
The tiny button is mapped to gestures by default. Clicking it opens the alt-tab menu (because you can't use alt-tab??) and clicking and dragging in one of the four directions performs other actions, similar to browser gestures basically. So out of the box, there's no middle-click at all.

You're right that the wheel is actually a physical toggle, I wasn't even fully pressing it at first. Still feels pretty mushy. Hyperscroll or whatever they call it is pretty cool, but overall I've been pretty disappointed with the wheel, even beyond the clicking issue. The notches don't feel as distinct and crisp as on my 10 year old Razer and it sounds like a moped when scrolling.

Apparently one of their other mice keeps the wheel button for middle click and used a different one to toggle the scroll mode, which makes infinitely more sense so I've no idea what they're trying to do here.