Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

rdb posted:

Thats pretty typical fitment for an aftermarket bumper cover. Is that what they used?

That's the first thing I asked too. "This is OEM, right?".

They say it is. I stood over them as they ordered the replacement from a local Chevy dealership parts dept.

It's like they hung it on a paint rack by hooking it through the headlight holes. and it got warped from hanging there or something.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good for you not giving up. Need more of that across everybody and every industry. The mantra lately is time is more valuable than money but I find it easy to sit in a chat window to challenge a $5 fee from Verizon or file a FCC complaint against Comcast. Companies will dance to your tune if you place a little effort in it.

I didn't want to be the customer that calls every day asking about my stupid sportscar, so I largely left them alone and trusted them to call me when it's done. I didn't even check in for the first 2 weeks. And welp, that strategy didn't work.

After week 8 it was still not even disassembled. They had to pull the interior half apart to get at the seat pan from above and replace it and a crossmember that was underneath, this included sending it to the dealer to pull the transmission out as it was in the way of the weld they had to do. None of that had even been started, so yeah I became that pest that calls twice a day to make sure they are doing the work. Surprisingly all that got done, and for the most part it looks good, except for this piece up front.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm sorry - 11 weeks to paint and install a bumper cover?

edit: missed your comment above.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 22, 2017

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I'm sorry - 11 weeks to paint and install a bumper cover?

It was about 10k in work in total, the underside was wrecked pretty well, but essentially boiled down to 5 pieces that had to get swapped out. 2 of the things required a lot of disassembly to get to, but still it wasn't anywhere near 11 weeks worth. It was just a case of a popular overworked shop servicing the bothersome customers first. I wasn't bothersome enough so I didn't get any priority.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Linux Nazi posted:

It was about 10k in work in total, the underside was wrecked pretty well, but essentially boiled down to 5 pieces that had to get swapped out. 2 of the things required a lot of disassembly to get to, but still it wasn't anywhere near 11 weeks worth. It was just a case of a popular overworked shop servicing the bothersome customers first. I wasn't bothersome enough so I didn't get any priority.

If there was an insurance company paying for a rental car then I bet they would have been moving their asses, because the insurance company will want them to account for every drat hour that the rental gets extended.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

If there was an insurance company paying for a rental car then I bet they would have been moving their asses, because the insurance company will want them to account for every drat hour that the rental gets extended.

You'd think, but the insurance company says I get 30 days rental and thats all. They'll just tell me to suck it after the 30 days is up. I don't even bother with one most of the time because there's been too many times a rental company ends up dropping more charges on my card for things and I have to fight them on it.

The insurance company is largely unhelpful when it comes to the actual repair. They are fine paying out for the work but don't really hold any sway over the shop unless it's one of their preferred shops, which in Phoenix is limited to some chain place called Service King. I looked into finding a place with a better rep for my <2000 mile grand sport, but honestly I'd have been better off taking it to the dealer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ugh. Any thoughts or did you approach diminished value with this?

Unless there is an at fault third party, diminished value is expressly excluded in your policy, in every state, except GA.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

You'd think, but the insurance company says I get 30 days rental and thats all. They'll just tell me to suck it after the 30 days is up. I don't even bother with one most of the time because there's been too many times a rental company ends up dropping more charges on my card for things and I have to fight them on it.

The insurance company is largely unhelpful when it comes to the actual repair. They are fine paying out for the work but don't really hold any sway over the shop unless it's one of their preferred shops, which in Phoenix is limited to some chain place called Service King. I looked into finding a place with a better rep for my <2000 mile grand sport, but honestly I'd have been better off taking it to the dealer.

Strange. My experience is the opposite, but all of my experience is with someone else's insurance company paying for it since the other guy has been at fault, and their objective has always clearly been to minimize their costs, which means speeding the repairs as much as possible and getting me out of the rental car, which they have to pay for no matter how long the repairs take.

I live in the Phoenix area also, and my experiences in the last few years were with Geico and Progressive. Both were surprisingly easy to deal with (other than them wanting to settle on the injuries before I was ready to say I was done) and gave me no issues at all. In one of them I was in the rental for almost 8 weeks.

Edit: In both cases my insurance (State Farm) said that they would take over and get things done and then sue the other company if I had too much difficulty getting things taken care of, but I would be out my deductible of $500 until they got it back from the other company.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Linux Nazi posted:

It's like they hung it on a paint rack by hooking it through the headlight holes. and it got warped from hanging there or something.

Wouldn’t surprise me.

The new rear bumper on my Mazda 3 is a bit warped because at some point during back and forth between an auto electrician (who was failing to get the BSM system working) and a panel place (who were failing to get the paint the right colour) it got put on missing some of the mounting points. Fortunately it’s just a cheap car and doesn’t look anywhere near as bad as yours.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

What a mess. The portholes are a Buick motif, and the four holes on each side meant a V8.

Now if they actually stuffed a Buick V8 in there, I'd be impressed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It leans into the retro look and is almost cool, but it's still a Neon at heart

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Deteriorata posted:

What a mess. The portholes are a Buick motif, and the four holes on each side meant a V8.

Now if they actually stuffed a Buick V8 in there, I'd be impressed.

We can only see one side, maybe there are no portholes on the other side :iiam:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

I live in the Phoenix area also, and my experiences in the last few years were with Geico and Progressive. Both were surprisingly easy to deal with (other than them wanting to settle on the injuries before I was ready to say I was done) and gave me no issues at all. In one of them I was in the rental for almost 8 weeks.

Edit: In both cases my insurance (State Farm) said that they would take over and get things done and then sue the other company if I had too much difficulty getting things taken care of, but I would be out my deductible of $500 until they got it back from the other company.

I got hit once by someone with Geico. It was a pain in the dick to get the claims adjuster to return my calls, but once they did, everything went pretty quick. Didn't have to involve my own insurance. Only gripes were the limitations on the rental.. cap of 150 miles/day, couldn't go out of state in it. At the time, I was driving up to 200 miles a day for work.

Also got hit by someone with some company I've never heard of while I had Nationwide. I couldn't ever get the other person's insurance to take a statement or return any calls, so I handed it over to my insurance. My (Nationwide) claims adjuster was seething about how difficult the other person's insurance was to deal with, and how they wouldn't return her calls or respond to certified mail; I finally filed it as a collision claim and paid my $250 deductible; I got it back this spring (the accident happened last July). That experience made sure I'll always carry collision on anything worth more than I can afford to replace immediately out of pocket; at least that way I can just sic my insurance on them if they play hard to get.

Another neat thing I discovered... Nationwide's contract with Enterprise stipulates unlimited mileage, while Geico's contract maxes out at 150 miles per day. Which meant I couldn't work when I had the rental car being provided by Geico.

Linux Nazi posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the work Service King did... on my Saturn. I sure as gently caress wouldn't be taking anything that's not a commuter car there.

The body work itself was fine, in that everything lined up fine, but the paint was.... not great. Whoever painted the fender and bumper must have painted bass boats before. A lot more metal flake than the rest of the car. Shade was a little off too; that wouldn't be an issue if they'd blended it with the door and A pillar, but they didn't. And you just don't wear polarized sunglasses when you look at that corner - it's even more obvious then (they make the hood look like a different color too, even though it has the original paint.. I assume the metal flake was laid in a different direction, maybe?).

The upside is they did get the car in and out really quick, and the paint has held up fine in the ~14 months since then. I've had paint fall off in sheets on repainted bumpers before, and had the body shops blame it on "bumping other cars" or "scraping the bumper over parking barriers" (aka "we didn't put enough flex additive in, but won't fess up to it").

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can pick almost anything off this page

https://www.instagram.com/wearelikewise/?hl=en

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hmmm, yes. Let's put a spike on the parking brake button on a manual. Surely, there is nothing wrong here.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

Hmmm, yes. Let's put a spike on the parking brake button on a manual. Surely, there is nothing wrong here.

That car obviously belongs to Edward Scissorhands anyways.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

looks like a loving dogs dick

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's always more and it's always worse

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Powershift posted:

How do they expect you to get the weed back out? Unscrew the whole thing and upend it?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fayez Butts posted:

How do they expect you to get the weed back out? Unscrew the whole thing and upend it?

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that immediately.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that immediately.

I had no idea what the gently caress it even was until the post after it about weed. Honestly, I still can't visualize how it's used, having never partaken of smoke stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

All of a sudden the several grams of shake that I pulled out of the shift turret of my project FC RX-7 makes sense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't imagine anyone buying that stuff who wouldn't be completely insufferable to be around.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
"Ok, if you can think of a better place than the driver's seat of the car and a better time than between stoplights to prepare your weed, then let me hear it officer"

Bonus points when your heavily modded vehicle is taken in a traffic stop and the cops give you a fine for its value because the car itself is now drug paraphernalia

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought the offset shift know thing might be kind of neat but then I realized that it would be putting a rotational torque on the shifter whenever you tried to move it "down" and likely doesn't work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought the offset shift know thing might be kind of neat but then I realized that it would be putting a rotational torque on the shifter whenever you tried to move it "down" and likely doesn't work.

That was my train of thought too.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Fayez Butts posted:

it drains directly into the car and causes dank fireballs depending on the strain, kind of like the train in BTTF3

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post terrible car stuff in this thread: kind of like the train in BTTF3

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I got hit once by someone with Geico. It was a pain in the dick to get the claims adjuster to return my calls, but once they did, everything went pretty quick. Didn't have to involve my own insurance. Only gripes were the limitations on the rental.. cap of 150 miles/day, couldn't go out of state in it. At the time, I was driving up to 200 miles a day for work.

Also got hit by someone with some company I've never heard of while I had Nationwide. I couldn't ever get the other person's insurance to take a statement or return any calls, so I handed it over to my insurance. My (Nationwide) claims adjuster was seething about how difficult the other person's insurance was to deal with, and how they wouldn't return her calls or respond to certified mail; I finally filed it as a collision claim and paid my $250 deductible; I got it back this spring (the accident happened last July). That experience made sure I'll always carry collision on anything worth more than I can afford to replace immediately out of pocket; at least that way I can just sic my insurance on them if they play hard to get.

Another neat thing I discovered... Nationwide's contract with Enterprise stipulates unlimited mileage, while Geico's contract maxes out at 150 miles per day. Which meant I couldn't work when I had the rental car being provided by Geico.

I wasn't thrilled with the work Service King did... on my Saturn. I sure as gently caress wouldn't be taking anything that's not a commuter car there.

The body work itself was fine, in that everything lined up fine, but the paint was.... not great. Whoever painted the fender and bumper must have painted bass boats before. A lot more metal flake than the rest of the car. Shade was a little off too; that wouldn't be an issue if they'd blended it with the door and A pillar, but they didn't. And you just don't wear polarized sunglasses when you look at that corner - it's even more obvious then (they make the hood look like a different color too, even though it has the original paint.. I assume the metal flake was laid in a different direction, maybe?).

The upside is they did get the car in and out really quick, and the paint has held up fine in the ~14 months since then. I've had paint fall off in sheets on repainted bumpers before, and had the body shops blame it on "bumping other cars" or "scraping the bumper over parking barriers" (aka "we didn't put enough flex additive in, but won't fess up to it").

Geico doesn’t stipulate any mileage restrictions on the rentals, why would they? They don’t own the car, so they don’t care. Where did you see the 150 mile restriction?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Geico doesn’t stipulate any mileage restrictions on the rentals, why would they? They don’t own the car, so they don’t care. Where did you see the 150 mile restriction?

It's an Enterprise thing - in some instances they have a different rate based upon mileage/territory restrictions. Geicos plan is probably the cheaper more restrictive one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

"Ok, if you can think of a better place than the driver's seat of the car and a better time than between stoplights to prepare your weed, then let me hear it officer"

Bonus points when your heavily modded vehicle is taken in a traffic stop and the cops give you a fine for its value because the car itself is now drug paraphernalia

In actually FOUR orders of magnitude worse drug:paraphernalia ratio as LSD vs the paper of the tab, too!

I'm not kidding. One gram of dank kush remnants, to 2,000lbs of car, is 1:907185. Let's say 1:1,000,000. A 1/4 inch square piece of blotter, depending on the type of paper used, is probably around .009 grams, or 9,000 micrograms. A typical "trip" dose of LSD is, from what I've read, about 90 micrograms, or 1:100.

I know it was a joke post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Door Frame posted:

Turn the entire car into a bong, press the green button to release a cloud of smoke that gets the cops high while you speed off.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh god. That company sells some of the worst car show for car shows sake poo poo I've ever seen. They've got 1 decent looking shift knob, but its all the same cheap anodized poo poo you can get on ebay for 1/4 the price.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Goober Peas posted:

It's an Enterprise thing - in some instances they have a different rate based upon mileage/territory restrictions. Geicos plan is probably the cheaper more restrictive one.

This. It was printed on the rental contract that Enterprise had me sign, and the agent at Enterprise specifically stated that their contract with Geico had a 150 mile per day limit. The claims adjuster from Geico also mentioned the mileage limitation.

Enterprise also handled the rental that Nationwide provided. I specifically asked my claims adjuster if there was a mileage limit, she stated no limit. Double checked at Enterprise, they also stated no mileage limit when Nationwide was paying for the rental. I mentioned the previous experience with the Geico-provided rental, and the agent told me that was due to the rate Geico pays.

Also, even though I called and specifically reserved a car within the daily rental amount authorized by Nationwide (which would cover a "full size", i.e. an Altima or similar, basically what I'd consider a mid-size sedan), Enterprise still bumped me up to a small SUV, and had the balls to try and get me to pay the difference. :laffo: That was definitely an Enterprise fuckup though, not an insurance fuckup.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iospace posted:

Those work in reverse somehow, you flick it up with your thumb to disengage it. Quite how that works I'm unsure but that's what those do...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Those work in reverse somehow, you flick it up with your thumb to disengage it. Quite how that works I'm unsure but that's what those do...

No, they just remove the spring so the button can slide back and forth. https://vimeo.com/146379498

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Need mah truck :bahgawd:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

um excuse me posted:

where else are you gonna put it, smart guy?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

um excuse me posted:

That is perfect.

Edit: I’ve got an 8ft board in my bed that I’ve forgotten about, it’s just laying there unused and flat as... a... board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

um excuse me posted: