Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War is a battle royal show from the same director as Mirai Nikki, I think its got everything you want. It's airing this season!

Davincie posted:

this seasons juuni taisen is a battle royale with a bunch of crazy well defined psychopaths in it

:shittypop: okay that's perfect thank both of you

Hunt11 posted:

There is the Heavens Feel movie coming out in the future.

I've sorta given up hope that that'll come out before the heat death of the universe, but I'm absurdly loving hype for it simply because I want to see Nine Bullet Revolver and the True Ending fight animated. :getin:

(seriously, that ending fight is insane, and it doesn't even have any of the crazy DBZ poo poo from the rest of the story, it's just two dying men beating the unholy poo poo out of each other and hoping the other dies first.

an actual dog posted:

It's not as dark as the other shows you mentioned but try Kyousougiga. Also Blood Blockade Battlefront

Both have been on my to-watch list for a while, good to know they're along similar lines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've sorta given up hope that that'll come out before the heat death of the universe, but I'm absurdly loving hype for it simply because I want to see Nine Bullet Revolver and the True Ending fight animated. :getin:

The first film is already out in Japan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress what, seriously? :shittypop:

Is it good?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it good?

Link to a post of a goon who watched it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671286&pagenumber=304&perpage=40#post477370667

It's the Type-Moon megathread so there might be spoilers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
posted in the Surreal Daily Life thread, but I figured some folks who don't read that might be curious and like to try it too, it's a new series with two chapters out and seems promising.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a japanese furry artist, as far as I can remember(outside of recently when those Osamu Tezuka sketches were unearthed), only like...humans with catgirl ears/tails in anime, or the chimeras in FMA. This popped up on KM the other day and it's interesting. Looks like the artist only just started it, a second chapter just came out, haven't checked it out yet.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Knight-of-Flower-Dakini/Ch-001--Fireworks?id=388663

Certainly has a different look to western furries. I'm not sure where to draw the line for "furries", really, to me it was always "if they're human-shaped with an animal head but human hair on their head, that's a furry, or if they look like a mascot costume"

and this is very cute.

it does not stay that way

The golems made me think of Zeruel from Evangelion crossed with an airplane or helicopter. Weird-lookin' things. The art has this detailed, yet rough sketch quality that I think is endearing. Not sure if the series will be any good or not though, what with there only being two chapters so far. Might be worth keeping an eye on though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it good?

Itll be several months before its available to see easily (not til the Japan home media comes out, most likely, maybe some special event showings in a theater stateside?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aumanor posted:

Link to a post of a goon who watched it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671286&pagenumber=304&perpage=40#post477370667

It's the Type-Moon megathread so there might be spoilers.

OH MY GOD THEY ADAPTED THE MAPO TOFU SCENE :chanpop:

e: also I'd be kind of surprised if it got a Fathom Events showing here, Fate is extremely niche in the US (despite being mega loving popular in :japan: from what I gather)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Heaven's Feel is getting a (limited) US theatrical release, check your local listings.

or this page
http://www.fatestaynightusa.com/theater/index.html

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

OH MY GOD THEY ADAPTED THE MAPO TOFU SCENE :chanpop:

e: also I'd be kind of surprised if it got a Fathom Events showing here, Fate is extremely niche in the US (despite being mega loving popular in :japan: from what I gather)

i mean fate/go is one of the most popular mobile games ever and i don't think the us release is even doing that bad

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I watch anime semi-infrequently but I have a very specific weakness for shows about cooking and food. Something about anime about food I just find fascinating.

I have already seen and enjoyed:

Food Wars
Sweetness and Lightning
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Tonkatsu DJ (I guess that counts)
The one about the lady who eats at bars that I can never remember the name of despite being real good

I would love some recommendations.

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 9, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm looking for something with a similar vibe to Mirai Nikki. This has been a bizarrely hard itch to scratch.

Basically, what I want is something fast-paced and bugfuck crazy, but with a legit good emotional core and good character writing in it. If it involves a Highlander-esque "there can be only one" situation and resulting ultra-convoluted plans piling up on each other, all the better, because I am a sucker for that poo poo.

Death Note comes pretty close, but doesn't really have the emotional core in it and is a little smaller-scale than I'd like, what with largely focusing on mind games between two people at a time, and not like 20 people at a time.

Fate/stay night and Fate/zero are even closer to the mark and would work perfectly, if I hadn't watched both UBW and F/z like six times each already and played through the entire literally-longer-than-War-and-Peace VN twice. They aren't quite as fast-paced and they don't have the occasional moments of "uh okay did this plot element just sneak in from a totally different show" MN does, but otherwise they hit everything perfectly, including the whole "everyone is constantly scheming against everyone else" bit.

Is there anything else out there like this, or am I basically hosed?

you've seen code geass right?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

LeafyOrb posted:

So I watch anime semi-infrequently but I have a very specific weakness for shows about cooking and food. Something about anime about food I just find fascinating.

I have already seen and enjoyed:

Food Wars
Sweetness and Lightning
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Tonkatsu DJ (I guess that counts)
The one about the lady who eats at bars that I can never remember the name of despite being real good

I would love some recommendations.
ACCA and March comes in like a lion both come to mind. I probably wouldn't come to either with the food being your sole focus, but if you feel like broadening your horizons a bit, both are superb shows in their own respects with excellent depictions of food being a semi-regular feature.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
You definitely want to check out last season's Restaurant to Another World.

Despite not being directly cooking-themed, Silver Spoon and Moyashimon are very food-centric and well worth a watch.

Early Yakitate Japan might also fit, although you should be aware that the series peaks pretty early on, followed by a long decline into increasingly forced bad comedy.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

fezball posted:

You definitely want to check out last season's Restaurant to Another World.

It completely slipped my mind that I watched this until you mentioned it. That show is decent, but very slow and repetitive even for food/cooking based anime. It picks up a bit in the second half when the various characters start to intermingle a bit more and at least answers some questions about the nature of the restaurant by the end.

I was irritated by the fact the demon girl never learns to cook more than steamed potatoes though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres another show with the exact same premise in either the next season or the one after that, that will probably be better

outside of that, you are still missing ristoranto paradiso. cooking papa is also great but only partially translated. if you want something completely ridicilious, check out yakitate japan

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're OK with manga What Did You Eat Yesterday? is fantastic, there are 12 volumes out currently so there's plenty of it to read as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Find the hksubs for Mister Ajikko and tell me where they are and I will watch it with you

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hello anime folks, please recommend me an anime about fighting (no real preference between shonen and shojo) with a major female villain who's cool as hell and not defined by being threateningly horny. Like it's even okay if she's threateningly horny at times, so long as she has other real interesting stuff going on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jenny Angel posted:

Hello anime folks, please recommend me an anime about fighting (no real preference between shonen and shojo) with a major female villain who's cool as hell and not defined by being threateningly horny. Like it's even okay if she's threateningly horny at times, so long as she has other real interesting stuff going on

Attack on Titan has a female villain whose identity would be a spoiler, but she's defined by hypercompetence, loyalty, and self-sacrifice, just in service of an (at least from the protagonists' perspective) unforgivable cause.

Jormungand has Koko who is the protagonist but is also 100%, unquestionably, a Bond villain. Not an evil Bond girl, mind, but a Bond villain. A few of her antagonists are women too.

Ushio and Tora has a... feminine-coded? non-human villain who is defined by being creepy as gently caress not so much because she / it is sexualized but because I mean jesus christ look at this thing. Sometimes she manifests as a humanoid woman. She's cool because a) she's terrifying b) she's voiced by Megumi Hayashibara and c) her ultimate fate is one of the best resolutions to a shonen villain's character arc ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Would Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist count? Sure, she's a sexy lady, but I don't think she ever actually does anything explicitly sexual, just like...goes on dates with and/or kills the poo poo out of some folks. She's a really rad character, and also a total bastard.

edit: oh, how could we forget, TEPPU, where the protagonist IS the villain!

also full of ripped as poo poo fighting girls, which is fairly refreshing considering the general stick-like nature of most women in anime.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 15, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any good post-apoc?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rinkles posted:

Any good post-apoc?

Currently airing Girls' Last Tour is excellent, if you're not already watching it.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Fist of the North Star is the obvious one here, and it covers the schlocky 80's Mad Max style in all its glory exceedingly well.

For something grittier, Wolf's Rain might work (it's not really that great in terms of story, but does a pretty good job with the bleakness of the setting), and I've heard good things about Desert Punk (but haven't seen it).

And if you want something more colorful, Overman King Gainer and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are set in post-apoc scenarios, but don't really focus too hard on them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Currently airing Girls' Last Tour is excellent, if you're not already watching it.

I'll be honest, the artstyle is off putting to me, but if it's otherwise solid I'll give it a go.

fezball posted:

For something grittier, Wolf's Rain might work (it's not really that great in terms of story, but does a pretty good job with the bleakness of the setting), and I've heard good things about Desert Punk (but haven't seen it).

And if you want something more colorful, Overman King Gainer and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are set in post-apoc scenarios, but don't really focus too hard on them.

I saw some episodes of Desert Punk ages ago. It had too many rear end shots for my taste (the protagonist was a perv), and was nothing special otherwise. Also suffered from a Gonzo-ending iirc.

I was eventually going to see Wolf's Rain anyway because of the Kanno soundtrack, but I hadn't read anything else about it. Didn't realize it was post apocalyptic.

The other stuff I've seen or not really interested.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I was eventually going to see Wolf's Rain anyway because of the Kanno soundtrack, but I hadn't read anything else about it. Didn't realize it was post apocalyptic.

It has a strong fantasy element to it, so it kind of depends on how you define the term - that said, it is very much about a broken world in the final stages of decline, so I'd say it fits.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Try A Wind Named Amnesia, Grey: Digital Target, and Casshern Sins

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Try A Wind Named Amnesia, Grey: Digital Target, and Casshern Sins

I am very much up for some late 80s/early 90s animation.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Turn A Gundam is a different take on post-apocalyptic, and also has a Kanno soundtrack.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
girls' last tour is an anime about the two girls driving around a massive desolate city and thinking about why they continue to go on living in a world where there's virtually nobody left while meeting people who have their own obsessions that they cling to to give themselves reasons to live, to give you some idea

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Turn A Gundam is a different take on post-apocalyptic, and also has a Kanno soundtrack.

It's great.

(There's no other Gundam series that's similar, is there? Or just considered as good as turn A?)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king gainer isn't quite as slow and melancholy but it's a similar thing of tomino making a weirdly upbeat post-apoc mecha anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

last exile, freedom, shinsekai yori, now and then here and there

technically, yamato 2199 also qualifies, but it has so little of it that i wouldn't watch it for post apoc

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Davincie posted:

shinsekai yori

I was about to suggest that, but it's more post-post-apoc isn't it? I'm not sure it scratches the same itch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

king gainer isn't quite as slow and melancholy but it's a similar thing of tomino making a weirdly upbeat post-apoc mecha anime

king gainer is good but kinda forgettable outside of the bonkers OP with the dancing robots

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

king gainer is good but kinda forgettable outside of the bonkers OP with the dancing robots

it's one of the best mecha anime ever made and consistently fun to watch, actually

i've been rewatching it and it's a show that at worst never hits any big snags and at best is one of the most expressive and energetic shows i've seen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pavlov posted:

I was about to suggest that, but it's more post-post-apoc isn't it? I'm not sure it scratches the same itch.

i mean, its not like theres a big post post apoc genre, i feel like we can count it with post apoc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Xabungle is another Tomino post apoc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Future Boy Conan is the Miyazaki post apocalypse that isn't Nausicaa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

realized i forgot this years hit post apoc anime, and the first real case auteurship and art in anime in ages: kemono friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm looking for short, good OVAs and movies from the 80's and 90's, along the lines of Cyber City Oedo (GorfZaplen I understand your avatar now), Devilman, Grey, that are dubbed, heavy on the violence, not too heavy on the T&A. I'm doing an "old weird anime nite" and I want to go in as fresh as my friends.

How's Baoh?