Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Idgaf about the portraits but those ships look like knock off star destroyers so I'm 100% in for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never really given a hoot about ship sets. Fleets are overlapping blobs of the same model 200 times and I'm never zoomed in enough to see any detail. I wish there was a bit more diversity within the sets, not just basically one model for each size. Not that you ever really need to visually check anything with your fleets, fleets could be counters.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
sometimes I like watching my science ships scan for a little while, or even watch some fleets warp around for a minute. I wish colony ships had a deploy animation but it's not really a big deal

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the mood for a good 4x space game. Would you recommend Stellaris and how many hundreds of dollars do I need to spend to enjoy it fully?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pycckuu posted:

I'm in the mood for a good 4x space game. Would you recommend Stellaris and how many hundreds of dollars do I need to spend to enjoy it fully?

If you asked me this a month or so ago I'd say no. Now I'd say yes!! If you're on the fence wait for a sale. ... which is right now!
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3343/Stellaris__Digital_Anniversary_Edition/

You can get this bundle for a good price. Utopia and Lethathans add good all-around stuff and I'd say are fairly essential base-game level expansions these days. Synthetic dawn is good but you could skip if you don't want to play as or against machine empires.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Artificer posted:

Currently on an invasion/integration spree. I assume pops acquired this way keep their ethics. How do I deal with the resulting unhappiness and divergence in a not space hitler way? Is there a good way of converting hostile factions to friendlier ones?

Orbital mind control lasers.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Playstation 4 posted:

Do you just never infiltrate primitives out of immersion rage or...?

Uh just invade or uplift. It's faster because I don't have to wait for tech. I am fine with the concept if it was actually implemented in an interesting way. Right now it is basically "oh this giant tentacle person is now a tiny human, somehow" which is kinda low effort for a game that strives to be immersive fluff-wise. At least forcing an empire to have a related species forces an actual decision: Do I accept the refugees of my mortal enemies? Is a migration treaty worth it if it means that empire will now have access to my internal workings? Sending my pop to the FE will generate a lot of unrest buuuut....

Whereas automatic access means everyone will always do it because why not?

Also just to be clear, this would NOT require any micromanaging, only owning the pop. So you technically don't even need a native from the opposing empire, it could be another species that migrated there, who also has military service and/or citizen rights.*

*I hope we can someday discover opposing empires' internal policies in-game because it is annoying I can't roleplay hating or loving my neighbors properly. Also it could make Factions better and allow more nuance in ally/enemy relations. Definitely would make Federations less lovely for sure.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 23, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving! Celebrating genocide with friends and family really makes me excited for the Cherryh update.

e: not a fan of the new ship designs (I prefer the blocky, ugly Halo/Galactica style one) but those new voices are worth the price of admission

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 23, 2017

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

If you asked me this a month or so ago I'd say no. Now I'd say yes!! If you're on the fence wait for a sale. ... which is right now!
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3343/Stellaris__Digital_Anniversary_Edition/

You can get this bundle for a good price. Utopia and Lethathans add good all-around stuff and I'd say are fairly essential base-game level expansions these days. Synthetic dawn is good but you could skip if you don't want to play as or against machine empires.

What changed between a month ago and today?

Sale looks tempting, its really the only way to buy paradox games.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Pycckuu posted:

I've really gotten back into Stellaris in the last couple of weeks. The new machine hive mind expansion is super fun and I'm getting tons of mileage out of it. Look around for some sales. My friend only had the base game but I got him the expansions for under $30 on greenman gaming last week.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

What changed between a month ago and today?

Sale looks tempting, its really the only way to buy paradox games.

Cherryh* patch details dropped so war is getting revamped completely, meaning the #1 knock against the game will be corrected in a few months. Diplomacy is #2 but for different reasons. It has a bunch of "man i wish I could do x" while war right now is "i wish i didn't have to do x". However, the game still rules regardless but now you're guaranteed it will get even better

*war mechanics changes are free updates, there's other stuff that will be DLC (i think?)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any reason to buy Synthetic Dawn if I rarely ever play as anything other than a spiritualist empire?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every DLC that's come out has improved the game in small but important ways. The latest DLC/patch just sort of finally tipped the balance, for me anyways. But there really did seem to be a big change amongst my friends who have this game who all suddenly agree that ever since synthetic dawn something has clicked and it's possible to sink a lot of hours into the game now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Is there any reason to buy Synthetic Dawn if I rarely ever play as anything other than a spiritualist empire?
It'll give your next empire a variety pack of new soulless monstrosities to fight with. Also the existing soulless monstrosities will get a bunch of new portraits!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Currently on an invasion/integration spree. I assume pops acquired this way keep their ethics. How do I deal with the resulting unhappiness and divergence in a not space hitler way? Is there a good way of converting hostile factions to friendlier ones?

Unrest is pretty trivial to deal with, just keep a bunch of cheap troops on the planet and maybe build a barracks if you have the space. Ethics divergence is a lot harder to deal with, even suppressing hostile factions doesn't help a whole lot. You can speed the process up some by maximizing your negative ethics divergence- spiritualists get a bonus by default, there's several leader abilities and civics that increase it, a planetary edict that gives +10%, a civilization edict that gives a bonus at the cost of -5% research speed, etc.- but AFAIK regardless of your rate it can only affect one pop per planet per year.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope wiz feels better soon and we can get some meaty dev diaries.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Every DLC that's come out has improved the game in small but important ways. The latest DLC/patch just sort of finally tipped the balance, for me anyways. But there really did seem to be a big change amongst my friends who have this game who all suddenly agree that ever since synthetic dawn something has clicked and it's possible to sink a lot of hours into the game now.

And yet... I'm already at the point where I don't want to play until the next DLC comes out. :lol:

pls hurry wiz

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Has there been any talk of changes to the threat mechanic coming in the next update? I hate it so much in its current form.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Not really. Synthetic Dawn isn't quite at Leviathan-levels of added utility to everybody. It's quite cool and I enjoy changing it up with machine empires sometimes, but it's easily missable if you don't care for the concept.

As far as DLC goes, the priority is Utopia > Leviathans > Synthetic Dawn > Plantoids.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Conskill posted:

Not really. Synthetic Dawn isn't quite at Leviathan-levels of added utility to everybody. It's quite cool and I enjoy changing it up with machine empires sometimes, but it's easily missable if you don't care for the concept.

As far as DLC goes, the priority is Utopia > Leviathans > Synthetic Dawn > Plantoids.

While I agree that SD ain't as important as Utopia or Leviathans, I must say I do enjoy playing against all the AI craziness that SD introduces, even if I don't play as AI much myself. It makes for a richer and more interesting universe

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Chalks posted:

Has there been any talk of changes to the threat mechanic coming in the next update? I hate it so much in its current form.

WHy?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Cherryh* patch details dropped so war is getting revamped completely, meaning the #1 knock against the game will be corrected in a few months. Diplomacy is #2 but for different reasons. It has a bunch of "man i wish I could do x" while war right now is "i wish i didn't have to do x". However, the game still rules regardless but now you're guaranteed it will get even better

*war mechanics changes are free updates, there's other stuff that will be DLC (i think?)

Thanks man. I might hold out until the game is "officially good," bought broforce for tree fiddy instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jng2058 posted:

While I agree that SD ain't as important as Utopia or Leviathans, I must say I do enjoy playing against all the AI craziness that SD introduces, even if I don't play as AI much myself. It makes for a richer and more interesting universe

Yeah, I tried a machine race once and didn't enjoy it that much but I really like having them in the game, no regrets buying it. But if I was on a budget and only getting 2 dlc's I'd say utopia is essential and leviathans adds so much more to interact with in the game world.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pycckuu posted:

Thanks man. I might hold out until the game is "officially good," bought broforce for tree fiddy instead.

The game is definitely already good, the next patch and probably expansion is just going to make it better.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

jng2058 posted:

AI controlled AI races still spawn without Synthetic Dawn don't they? You just need SD to play as them I thought.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Play as humans, purge the galaxy of inferior life. All loving xenos must loving hang.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you haven't led a symbiotic fungus empire to the stars specifically so you could party as hard as possible with all the other species you've made a grave mistake.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

PittTheElder posted:

AI controlled AI races still spawn without Synthetic Dawn don't they? You just need SD to play as them I thought.

Nope, AI empires are story pack only.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

If you haven't led a symbiotic fungus empire to the stars specifically so you could party as hard as possible with all the other species you've made a grave mistake.

I'd like to, but somehow Xenophile has nothing going for it right now. The same seems true of the Diplomacy tree.

Wait...is this a Driven Assimilators reference?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hyped for the new portraits, do more plant ones too if there's time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bloodly posted:

I'd like to, but somehow Xenophile has nothing going for it right now. The same seems true of the Diplomacy tree.

Wait...is this a Driven Assimilators reference?
I dunno, my xenophile egalitarians resulted in WAY too happy pops, like 110% happiness so they were producing at max efficiency at all times. This plants-into-synthetics run I'm doing now has much, much less happy pops. Especially when I take over places. With the xenophiles the newly-conquered pops would still be at like 80% happiness, with my current empire...straight 0's and rampant unrest

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno, my xenophile egalitarians resulted in WAY too happy pops, like 110% happiness so they were producing at max efficiency at all times. This plants-into-synthetics run I'm doing now has much, much less happy pops. Especially when I take over places. With the xenophiles the newly-conquered pops would still be at like 80% happiness, with my current empire...straight 0's and rampant unrest

Make... them food?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really want to throw them in the meat grinder, if that's what you mean. But sadly, I can't purge the little bastards. Got a shitload of penguin-looking spiritualistic assholes from a reverse defensive war and they hate my guts since they're biblethumpers who hate robots, so I'm turning them into robots. :getin:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Pick the infected teddy bear, bring the cordyceps hive mind to the galaxy. Ain’t no party like a cordyceps party cause a cordyceps party is biologically mandatory.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I really want to throw them in the meat grinder, if that's what you mean. But sadly, I can't purge the little bastards. Got a shitload of penguin-looking spiritualistic assholes from a reverse defensive war and they hate my guts since they're biblethumpers who hate robots, so I'm turning them into robots. :getin:

Hell yeah

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any suggestions for mods to expand the soundtrack with tracks that fit in with the original score?

ps love this game

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Any suggestions for mods to expand the soundtrack with tracks that fit in with the original score?

ps love this game

There're a couple Mass Effect ones that have the same feel.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That dignified imperalist voice pack... time to play through as the Radchaai :krad:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gyshall posted:

ps love this game

The FTL soundtrack would probably fit pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

Idgaf about the portraits but those ships look like knock off star destroyers so I'm 100% in for this.
Knockoff star destroyers to go with the knockoff federation bases? I approve. :allears:

• Locked thread