Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

DD is basically 50% of a 10/10 game and 50% a 4/10 game rounding out at a cool 7/10. But is still wouldn't skip it cause it's so weird and fun at times.

Where do you have to get to / how long to play before you know it’s for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm not seeing why it's getting all the goon love. It seems very average so far, but I've seen many call this their GOTY and all that. Am I missing something? Does it just get better as it goes?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

man nurse posted:

Well I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm not seeing why it's getting all the goon love. It seems very average so far, but I've seen many call this their GOTY and all that. Am I missing something? Does it just get better as it goes?

How far in are you? Once it opens up and you can use all the sweet weapons it's great fun. That being said I never finished the game (mainly because I got sucked away by other games and now I basically can't remember what was going on in HZD).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What DD does right really gets me going but I'd totally understand if it didn't do that for others. You'll know 10h in after prepping for an expedition that through no story influence goes wrong and leaves you out in the wild at night.
My first time through I didn't fast travel once. The game is really designed around forcing you to make long arduous journeys and adding unlimited fast travel in the update allows people to skip the emergent moments where it really shines.
Edit: I'm leaning on that hard. It's also good for a lot of other reasons but that's something very unique to it. The gear game and pushing through bitterblack is also very good but if you don't like the main game that's not gonna change your mind.

I keep getting tempted to play p5 but a couple days ago I read a thread on resetera by someone who loves it but has some complaints, and every complaint they have seems like it would make me bounce off it so hard. I really can't get a read on it and decide if I'd like it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 24, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

man nurse posted:

Wait till meridian before judging. If you don’t like it by then it’s not for you.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wolf2 is 50% off on Amazon and I'm debating if I need to stack another game on my holiday backlog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

Wolf2 is 50% off on Amazon and I'm debating if I need to stack another game on my holiday backlog.

It's good

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

man nurse posted:

Nah. To me there's just something about the combat that's missing, and running around collecting stuff is boring. It's pretty safe to say that if you don't love it from the start it won't change your mind halfway through.

I did kind of enjoy some of the quests at the major town you're supposed to head for after the first area (forgot its name) so you could beeline for it and see for yourself.

Also, photo mode is pretty neat.

I'll never understand people praising the game's writing though. It's just... there.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I hit that point where I want 5 games but only realistically have time for one and since you fucks haven't been able to shut the gently caress up about Aloy which I thought for the last few months of reading this thread was Alloy and not in fact Ayloy I bought HZD. Playing on very hard, but its not too hard. Should I restart on Ultra or does the challenge pick up a bit? I'm still killing scrubs in the starter valley so I'm not far in.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The first story quest in Gran Soren, the main hub, is generally a good indicator. The real important bit is to get past the most dangerous enemy type in the early game so you can kick an ox. How long to play is a deceptive mark to shoot for as you can waste a lot of time on some sidequests before the game really opens up. I love the game to pieces, but it's janky as hell and definitely not for everyone. The story is all over the place, the warrior class is crippled by having half the skills to use as everyone else, playing as a mage/sorcerer can be simultaneously boring and frustrating, enemy variety doesn't really exist until late/post-game and even then is mostly recolours. That said, when (if) it clicks for you, it's really something magical that no other game comes close to recreating. At least, I can't think of any other game that lets me set myself on fire, jump onto a griffon, hang on for dear life as it tries to fly away, and then crash to the ground with the beast because I ended up burning its wings to the point of uselessness.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jesus Toast posted:

The first story quest in Gran Soren, the main hub, is generally a good indicator. The real important bit is to get past the most dangerous enemy type in the early game so you can kick an ox. How long to play is a deceptive mark to shoot for as you can waste a lot of time on some sidequests before the game really opens up. I love the game to pieces, but it's janky as hell and definitely not for everyone. The story is all over the place, the warrior class is crippled by having half the skills to use as everyone else, playing as a mage/sorcerer can be simultaneously boring and frustrating, enemy variety doesn't really exist until late/post-game and even then is mostly recolours. That said, when (if) it clicks for you, it's really something magical that no other game comes close to recreating. At least, I can't think of any other game that lets me set myself on fire, jump onto a griffon, hang on for dear life as it tries to fly away, and then crash to the ground with the beast because I ended up burning its wings to the point of uselessness.

Thanks for the quick and in depth write up!

I started as a mage and got to maybe level 7, not quite to Gran Soren before stopping. I’ll give it a shot again when I’m through with a few more games.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So I had a crash when I finished Far Cry 4, and I think I've missed a bunch of ending story. Basically, after shooting Min (which I now realise was a mistake, but i'm not going back through again) and skipping the credits, I found myself back at the Gale homestead. Sabal radioed saying to come outside and celebrate, but on the way out I noticed the pipe Reggie and Yogi gave me. It was flashing, so I used it and the game crashed.

When I restarted, I could no longer use the pipe and never got any Sabal cutscene. So is that it? Or did I miss anything important?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Play until you get to gran soren. If you don't like it at all by then, it's not for you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So I had a crash when I finished Far Cry 4, and I think I've missed a bunch of ending story. Basically, after shooting Min (which I now realise was a mistake, but i'm not going back through again) and skipping the credits, I found myself back at the Gale homestead. Sabal radioed saying to come outside and celebrate, but on the way out I noticed the pipe Reggie and Yogi gave me. It was flashing, so I used it and the game crashed.

When I restarted, I could no longer use the pipe and never got any Sabal cutscene. So is that it? Or did I miss anything important?

For the sabal thing, you have to go to one of the temples. I think it's on a island or something and you will get a cutscene.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

man nurse posted:

Keep going, and make sure you figure out how the different weapon effects gently caress up robots in different ways as this makes combat go more smoothly (it seemed arbitrarily difficult to me at first). Do the collect-a-thon quests and side quests too, they aren't as tedious as you'd think and they are rewarding in terms of game item stuff as well as filling out the story. I felt like your actions (attacking robot factories, etc) have a noticeable effect in the world.

I also really dug the graphics and the fact that it genuinely tried to tie the world together in a comprehensible narrative; a lot of open world games that are universally hailed as excellent kind of don't make sense if you look at the way the story interacts with the world, and it feels more like it does here. Also the main character is female and it isn't exploitative, which is notable in a sad way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is DD dragons dogma?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is DD dragons dogma?

Yeah. I don't know if people call it that, I just didn't want to type it repeatedly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the quick and in depth write up!

I started as a mage and got to maybe level 7, not quite to Gran Soren before stopping. I’ll give it a shot again when I’m through with a few more games.

Yeah definitely get to gran Soren, do a dungeon or 2, run around at night and fight some scary, hard poo poo to fight . Then give yourself some time to marvel at how customizable your character and pawn are both visually and gameplay-wise. At that point if it hasn't hooked you it's safe to quit.

You haven't actually had the chance to do any of the fun stuff if you haven't hit gran Soren yet. I suggest booking it straight there and picking up the wyrm hunt quest line from Maximilian in the noble quarter, because they are pretty fun dungeons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Hound posted:

Keep going, and make sure you figure out how the different weapon effects gently caress up robots in different ways as this makes combat go more smoothly (it seemed arbitrarily difficult to me at first). Do the collect-a-thon quests and side quests too, they aren't as tedious as you'd think and they are rewarding in terms of game item stuff as well as filling out the story. I felt like your actions (attacking robot factories, etc) have a noticeable effect in the world.

I also really dug the graphics and the fact that it genuinely tried to tie the world together in a comprehensible narrative; a lot of open world games that are universally hailed as excellent kind of don't make sense if you look at the way the story interacts with the world, and it feels more like it does here. Also the main character is female and it isn't exploitative, which is notable in a sad way.

The collectathons are absolutely not worth it, the reward for most of them is a lootbox several levels below what you find randomly out in the field.

Basically, if you don't like the premise of sneaking around laying traps, dodge rolling from and shooting arrows at robot dinosaurs in a ridiculously beautiful setting you're not going to like it more later, especially when they start throwing human combat at you. The story is straightforward sci-fi told piece by piece and being commented on by Aloy and the cool guy from the Wire, and I really liked both but if you don't already like her she doesn't change much.

And Jesus, I've said it before but the crafting and loot are so bad. Like, so bad it makes Witcher 3's crafting look good, and this is coming from someone who spent so much time in crafting menus that Geralt had a more involved relationship with that one blacksmith in Novigrad than either of his sorceress girlfriends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

The collectathons are absolutely not worth it, the reward for most of them is a lootbox several levels below what you find randomly out in the field.

Imo they are in the sense that collectable crap is mostly located in cool looking areas you might miss otherwise. The vantage points are a must at least, I think. I did all of it and I never do that in games. The rewards are definitely poo poo though.

Wolfsheim posted:

And Jesus, I've said it before but the crafting and loot are so bad. Like, so bad it makes Witcher 3's crafting look good, and this is coming from someone who spent so much time in crafting menus that Geralt had a more involved relationship with that one blacksmith in Novigrad than either of his sorceress girlfriends.

Really? The crafting is so inoffensive. The crafting and inventory aren't good but I thought it was largely ignorable. I thought TW3's crafting/inventory/upgrade system was painful as hell.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Inspector Hound posted:

Also the main character is female and it isn't exploitative, which is notable in a sad way.

lol dang too true

idk to be fair Horizon starts out with you playing as a kid and establishing the premise for a while with limited features and controller input: I hate that portion of games and wish you could skip it (Like in Uncharted 4) so yeah I could see not liking a game until you got to the meat and potatoes. Plus a lot of cool combat things in Horizon are locked behind level progression. Exploration is cool but as noted 10x over in this thread, there's not a huge incentive, especially when compared to a game like BOTW

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah at least HZD crafting is just done anytime anywhere in a menu rather than by traveling to a specific city with a specific blacksmith who meets a specific skill requirement.

Finished the DLC, story at least. Think I'll save the Fireclaws for a while. I'm just not ready to be done with this game for good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gotta find that crafting bench

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol dang too true

idk to be fair Horizon starts out with you playing as a kid and establishing the premise for a while with limited features and controller input: I hate that portion of games and wish you could skip it (Like in Uncharted 4) so yeah I could see not liking a game until you got to the meat and potatoes. Plus a lot of cool combat things in Horizon are locked behind level progression. Exploration is cool but as noted 10x over in this thread, there's not a huge incentive, especially when compared to a game like BOTW

It's loving amazing that they skip all the kid stuff in NG+ at least. You basically get right into the real game after the first two Nora quests.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh dang yeah that's pretty nifty

I wasn't sure on NG+ but decided to just continue. Kind of confused though. Can someone clarify: it has me at the last quest portion it seems in the game. To to speak to the sun god and then defend the city I think. I definitely beat the game through before, was I supposed to save after? I thought I did? or...? I hadn't played in a while so I forgot. Is it just one of those games where you can do the last portion over and over if you so desire?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wasn't sure on NG+ but decided to just continue. Kind of confused though. Can someone clarify: it has me at the last quest portion it seems in the game. To to speak to the sun god and then defend the city I think. I definitely beat the game through before, was I supposed to save after? I thought I did? or...? I hadn't played in a while so I forgot. Is it just one of those games where you can do the last portion over and over if you so desire?

Once you finish the game it rewinds to just before the point of no return for the final quest.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragons dogma will eventually send you to a place called the water altar and its just a fun cool dungeon and it hooked me so hard. I just finished playthrough 3 of the base game and heading for first run of dlc now (tips appreciated)

The story of the game makes zero sense it makes it feel like a dream its just alluring like its so bankrupt and hollow that it loops around into mysterious and deep and tied to the kick rear end action fighting (play as a bow class) the long difficult traversal sections that make you own the landscape like an ugly bloated darksouls 1 level, the tough choices about where to place your few fast travel portals, knowing that if you gently caress up a quest theres no going back, etc, and you get something special

Also the post credits gameplay is incredibly win like holy poo poo what a reward for busting your rear end!

The only real problems i have with the game are that the camera,near any sort of foliage, is not helpful when you climb on monsters, the walkspeed is pretty slow if you carry anything, and sometimes when climbing monsters its hard to figure out which direction to push to move in the right direction cause they are character reference instead of camera reference

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 24, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dragons dogma also has the best romance in any game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the best parts of dragon's dogma are the very beginning and very end. the middle varies from competent to outright bad, the plot just disappears and, outside of a few exceptions, the side quests suck. the game world's also pretty small and linear for what is ostensibly an open world game. the combat is always fun but that has to carry you through the low parts,. also the ur dragon is a dumb idea imo

the end is some of the craziest poo poo you'll ever see in a game tho, and I mean that in a good way. as soon as the dragon comes back, the game kicks into high gear and never lets up; it's awesome. the dark arisen content is also awesome (bring periapts)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Dragons dogma also has the best romance in any game.

Heh sometimes yes sometimes no

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just FYI, in case people didn't know, but PS4 Pro is on sale for $50 off at Gamestop. I just ordered one online without an issue, looks to still be in stock if you don't want to brave brick and mortar nightmare tomorrow. I feel dirty ordering from Gamestop, but hey, $50 off. Finally took the plunge because I got the new Skyrim PSVR bundle, and while it's quite nice on my launch PS4, I needs me some smoother framerate and AA, dammit!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

the best parts of dragon's dogma are the very beginning and very end. the middle varies from competent to outright bad, the plot just disappears and, outside of a few exceptions, the side quests suck. the game world's also pretty small and linear for what is ostensibly an open world game. the combat is always fun but that has to carry you through the low parts,. also the ur dragon is a dumb idea imo

the end is some of the craziest poo poo you'll ever see in a game tho, and I mean that in a good way. as soon as the dragon comes back, the game kicks into high gear and never lets up; it's awesome. the dark arisen content is also awesome (bring periapts)

Which periapts/who sells them?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon's Dogma's plot rules because it's very blatantly like a sequence of really cool dramatic moments from the director's D&D campaign but they only have those set pieces and in between is WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS! FIRE WORKS WELL! BONES, WALKING BONES!

DD is the best D&D game Japan's ever made.

Real hurthling! posted:

Which periapts/who sells them?

All you need is the one that boosts damage (and maybe the one that boosts XP if you're grinding), Fournival sells them to you after the Inquiry quest if he's acquitted and in NG+ he'll always sell them (so long as he's not arrested). They stack up to 4 uses and you can bust out insane damage with them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

depends on your build. I remember that demon's periapts are for sorcerers but the rest idk (it'll tell you in the description)

fournival sells them if you save him. I think the blonde girl does too but I'm not sure. just keep in mind that they're damage boosts that stack multiplicatively up to 4 uses. your damage skyrockets

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 24, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I saved the hell out of fournaval

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't think it makes any kind of special postgame save, it just keeps a save for you right before the final battle.

When you load that save, you can go on and do the final mission again, do the DLC (or anything else), or use the pause menu (options, not trackpad) to create an NG+ loadout.

An NG+ loadout will save all of your weapons, outfits modifications, resources, shards, and current level. The override skills will be temporarily locked in your skill tree, but will all be restored when you get the override ability back in the story. You will keep the special armor if you unlocked it.

You will not keep any datapoints or scanned info. You will lose the disguise armor you unlocked late in the game. You will lose all quest items, including bluegleam from the DLC, so spend it if you've got it.

When you have a loadout saved, you can start a new game plus from the main menu. Unlike a regular playthrough, you can not change difficulty in NG+, so think carefully. There is a trophy for completing NG+, as well as one for completing NG+ on Ultra Hard.

NG+ is pretty much the same as the regular game. It does add special Adept weapons, which are basically the top tier of weapons with an extra mod slot on top. They are insanely expensive on Ultra Hard, just FYI.

You can start as many NG+ files from the original loadout as you want. However, you can't create a new loadout from NG+ until you actually finish the game. Some people speed through NG+ on normal to get the Adept bows and then use that to start NG++ on Ultra Hard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yikes yeah I think I’ll just do the Frozen Wilds bit and some quests I missed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some people have been reporting a problem where they can't create an NG+ loadout after installing the DLC. Beating the last part of the game again seems to fix it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess to avoid spoilers I’ll just say that near the end there’s an event where the game just picks whatever NPC you have interacted with the most (gender doesn’t matter etc) and presents them as your lover and more likely than not you will be like “lol what I hate the poo poo out of him/her!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Anywhere selling Ps4 store codes for discounted prices today?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 24, 2017