Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

violent sex idiot posted:

the easiest part of the darker side is the ride on the platform with the spikey dudes jumping all around because you can just hang off the edge and watch them jump over you for the entire thing

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

the easiest part of the darker side is the ride on the platform with the spikey dudes jumping all around because you can just hang off the edge and watch them jump over you for the entire thing
I should be mad that I didn't know about this at the time but it owns that the game allows you so much freedom, even in the "ultimate test" final level

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Edge clinging gets you past lots of stuff, like the rolling rocks at the end of the underground Moon cave that you're supposed to charge through.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I pastebinned a guide to Darker Side:

https://pastebin.com/sv0j8YLf

It took me an evening or so to figure out, but most of my deaths were from getting bored and trying to run through quickly and the fireballs handling like poo poo. I found a few ways to bypass stuff that I don't think have been mentioned here.

It has nothing on Champion's Road which took me a full two nights and Grandmaster Galaxy which took me weeks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly not loving the post game stuff much. I feel like 85% of this games difficulty comes from bad camera angles and lovely situational awareness.

And there are just areas that desperately need some sort of checkpoint. Doing an entire section over and over because you can't hit the last jump because the camera decides to pan at a weird angle is so grating.

The main game has the same problems too but it's just so easy it doesn't matter.

As a Mario game I'm feeling at this point that this is one of my least favorite. As an exploration game it's pretty awesome but as a platformer it feels clunky. Still no regrets it's a lot of fun at times but this is never even gonna come close to touching the galaxy games for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So we played through the whole game in two player, meaning that we never needed to learn all the stupid jumping poo poo and were only playing it with a single joycon instead of two. The worst part of the game to me is that so many functions are tied to a single button. I just can't do the challenges in Dark Side that get rid of cappy because we've never learned to play without the two of us!

We got every single blue X moon (except skipping and volleyball) and every single purple coin. It was pretty fun! But having to do the koopa races in single player when you're used to playing the other way sure does suck. I guess it's so you don't screw up the leaderboard but I really don't like that an option that's open for the rest of the game now doesn't work because of online leaderboard stuff :(

The rabbits are SUPER easy to kill when you have immortal cappy flying around though. Which is nice.

quote:

And there are just areas that desperately need some sort of checkpoint. Doing an entire section over and over because you can't hit the last jump because the camera decides to pan at a weird angle is so grating.
This has happened loads and it's so annoying. Especially since we have the issue with the left joycon that makes it not work properly!

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 23, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Taear posted:

So we played through the whole game in two player, meaning that we never needed to learn all the stupid jumping poo poo

You're missing out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know why you're playing a Mario game if you're gonna call platforming "stupid jumping poo poo"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want a linear platformer like 3D World but with the stupid jumping poo poo of this game. I want to double jump dive all over a really hard platforming stage. I wish there were more stages in this game that were those kinds of stages

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macaluso posted:

I want a linear platformer like 3D World but with the stupid jumping poo poo of this game. I want to double jump dive all over a really hard platforming stage. I wish there were more stages in this game that were those kinds of stages

This and co-op would be so baller.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be real disappointed if cappy isn't in succeeding games

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Macaluso posted:

What I really really wanted and was really anticipating was that somewhere in the game there would be a moon that absolutely required the double dive. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

It's great to create such an awesome movement system, but when your game doesn't actually utilise it to its fullest, I find it disappointing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bef posted:

I'd be real disappointed if cappy isn't in succeeding games

Cappy will go wherever FLUDD went

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cappy will go wherever FLUDD went

Smash?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There will probably be an Odyssey 2 at some point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said that as a joke, but I'd honestly be surprised if they DIDN'T put Cappy in Mario's moveset in the next Smash. There's so much you could do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I pastebinned a guide to Darker Side:

https://pastebin.com/sv0j8YLf

It took me an evening or so to figure out, but most of my deaths were from getting bored and trying to run through quickly and the fireballs handling like poo poo. I found a few ways to bypass stuff that I don't think have been mentioned here.

It has nothing on Champion's Road which took me a full two nights and Grandmaster Galaxy which took me weeks.

You made Part 3 far harder than you think it is; Just long-jump between the Bowser ramps.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyVenomousThymeTheRinger

Game is great, speedruns are great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waffleman_ posted:

I said that as a joke, but I'd honestly be surprised if they DIDN'T put Cappy in Mario's moveset in the next Smash. There's so much you could do.

You'd think that but they kept Link in Wind Waker/Twilight Princess form in Smash 4 despite some really cool things they could have done with later game stuff.

Also kept Fludd despite Galaxy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I helped develop this clip!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Did he discover that? I enjoy Trihex, good guy with a pretty entertaining stream.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zore posted:

You'd think that but they kept Link in Wind Waker/Twilight Princess form in Smash 4 despite some really cool things they could have done with later game stuff.

Also kept Fludd despite Galaxy.

I was thinking botw link would be cool, his heavy attack could just randomize a weapon and have it shatter each time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just hoping going forward in the smash bros and the mario karts they use his champion get up instead of just going back to twilight princess Link

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I'm just hoping going forward in the smash bros and the mario karts they use his champion get up instead of just going back to twilight princess Link

With Breath of the Wild being as massive of a hit as it was I'd be really surprised if it didn't get brought over to Smash. Twilight Princess Link would only have been replaced by Skyward Sword Link and people were pretty lukewarm on that game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PantsBandit posted:

With Breath of the Wild being as massive of a hit as it was I'd be really surprised if it didn't get brought over to Smash. Twilight Princess Link would only have been replaced by Skyward Sword Link and people were pretty lukewarm on that game.

I mean they'd be leaving behind his signature look of 30 years but drat botw was a massive hit

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Link using all the different weapon types would be cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Raserys posted:

Link using all the different weapon types would be cool

Oh man yeah but they should make it to so that each one breaks after like 3 hits just to draw out as much nerd rage as possible.

And you always have a 5% chance to pull out a pitchfork.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I mean they'd be leaving behind his signature look of 30 years but drat botw was a massive hit

Breath of the Wild left a lot of signature aspects behind, tbh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

starting a petition for Link with option for Ancient Armour skin

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DoctorWhat posted:

I helped develop this clip!

How? Give us some deets.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

PantsBandit posted:

Oh man yeah but they should make it to so that each one breaks after like 3 hits just to draw out as much nerd rage as possible.

And you always have a 5% chance to pull out a pitchfork.

So Robin except with every move?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know why you're playing a Mario game if you're gonna call platforming "stupid jumping poo poo"

I mean learning loads of button combos to do stuff. It's a single button in two player and it works so much better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I mean learning loads of button combos to do stuff. It's a single button in two player and it works so much better.

It's not loving Mortal Combat. Jesus Christ.

Jump. Throw. Crouch. :gonk: stop my brain was full after jump!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reality Winner posted:

How? Give us some deets.

So there's this maneuver called "Roll Cancelling". You hit [B/A]+[Y/X] while rolling, you cancel the roll animation and free your movement while retaining full rolling speed.

The hat throw animation Roll Cancelling invokes means you can't "bonk" against walls.

Now, walls are just polygons that push Mario away. Sufficiently thin walls could be clipped through with enough speed if not for the "bonk" animation serving as a safeguard against high speed motion.

So by doing a Ground Pound Roll, which produces a max-speed roll, and then Roll Cancelling that roll at point-blank, you can clip through certain walls.

Speedrunner trying to optimize movement around the corner featured in the clip accidentally clipped through while using a roll cancel to take the sharp turn, and immediately set about reproducing it.

What I developed was an input method to reliably Roll Cancel as soon as the Ground Pound Roll begins, without using Camera Mode to pause-buffer. You use X to start the roll, then roll your thumb to [Y+B] immediately. This makes the clip more consistent.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 24, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DoctorWhat posted:

Now, walls are just polygons that push Mario away. Sufficiently thin walls could be clipped through with enough speed if not for the "bonk" animation serving as a safeguard against high speed motion.
Good to know that walls are solved enough that they haven't changed significantly since SM64, this is some pannenkoek poo poo right here :shobon:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

It's not loving Mortal Combat. Jesus Christ.

Jump. Throw. Crouch. :gonk: stop my brain was full after jump!

Or, I can just press the right button on the second remote and do an extra high jump. I meant the dive, roll, triple jump (that never seems to work) and all sorts of other stuff all bound to the same button so you end up doing the wrong one. It's amazing being able to just ignore it all.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree. Having a second person play the whole time is much easier than learning a simple 3 or 4 button sequence in a game designed for kids.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RCarr posted:

I agree. Having a second person play the whole time is much easier than learning a simple 3 or 4 button sequence in a game designed for kids.

They're also the same controls used for the past twenty years in every 3D mario game since Super Mario 64. The only change is the cap-throw extra jump.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Taear posted:

triple jump (that never seems to work)
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Triple jump does seem easier than it was in SM64. Though the issue always is it's easy to do when under no pressure but really hard when you are.

I have been wondering what from this game might get referenced in future games. I'd be surprised if the next Mario Kart and Smash Bros didn't have a New Donk City stage. And possibly a playable Pauline in Mario Kart. (might have a New Donk scooter and/or taxi as car frames) It does seem like they've been trying to increase the female representation in Mario games (see also Toadette's appearance, a first for a 'main' series Mario game) so they probably had that in mind.

And maybe a moon-themed Rainbow Road, though that might get spoilery.

• Locked thread