Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

slidebite posted:

The 146 is my favorite wee wittle jet :3:

Have you see the Dornier 328JET? It's better. But not British.

It's like a sleeker baby 146.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Brovine posted:

Dorkjet.

Sagebrush posted:

also yeah i would kill for a DCS F-106 so we could have a cool 3-way between the MiG-21 and its contemporaries

Genie EVERYTHING.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Brovine posted:

Um yeah but it only has two donks so can only be half as good as the 146.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

BalloonFish posted:

We Brits may have made some ugly military jets but we did turn out good-looking civils (mostly off the de Havilland drawing board): The Comet, the V-1000, the Trident, the HS-125, the VC-10, plus work on Concorde Even the 146 is well-proportioned with a good nose. The exception is the BAC 1-11, which is too fat and has the engines mounted too low (the F28 is much prettier).

One of my favourite parts of going to Duxford is the row of 50s-70s British airliners they have on display:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_at_the_Imperial_War_Museum_Duxford#Duxford_Aviation_Society

e: here's an album of the photos i took last time i was there https://imgur.com/a/SD9Jw

Gibfender fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 24, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the Lightning is a big beautiful fighter jet that don't need no man

I think the thing about the Lightning is that they look better the more of them there are in formation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Previa_fun posted:

I think the thing about the Lightning is that they look better the more of them there are in formation.

Checks out.

And there's always the proposed "Sea Lightning" with partial variable-geometry wings: http://www.gengriz.co.uk/sealightning2.htm

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 24, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Brovine posted:

I am sorry my good man, but perhaps you did not notice that it has two less babby engines. Therefore it by definition can't be better. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I am sorry my good man, but perhaps you did not notice that it has two less babby engines. Therefore it by definition can't be better. :colbert:

I was going to quote you the An-148

But I cannot defeat your argument

Also, Cubana is apparently buying An-148s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Previa_fun posted:

The Lightning has that wonderful early jet age whizbang Buck Rogers look to it, same as the Century Series.

I wanna photoshop this so they're making a run in the Death Star trench.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was going to quote you the An-148

But I cannot defeat your argument

Also, Cubana is apparently buying An-148s

underwing engines like some kind of a scrub :ussr:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

slidebite posted:

There may be less of them, but the entire thing is more babby. Also, surprisingly loud.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
The awesome thing about the EE Lightning is that it was England's first supersonic fighter, and it did Mach 2. Not like the USA with the Century Series starting out barely breaking the speed of sound with the F-100 and then incrementing a few tenths of Mach at a time, just... with all the unknowns of supersonic design and flight, let's just jump balls-out straight to Mach 2.

I also find it cool that it was so strung out for performance that it's fuel load was so absurdly low that it carried fuel in the flaps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Britain's first supersonic fighter, and not only could it reach Mach 2, but even the first prototype could supercruise just above Mach 1, and later versions could reportedly hit 1.3 without the afterburner. Not too bad for a design that predates the Warsaw Pact

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

The An-72/74 and An-148/158 are two of my favourite planes, aesthetically, for reasons I can't quite explain.

They're just really cute, goofy looking airplanes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

e.pilot posted:

Needs too much runway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FuturePastNow posted:

Needs too much runway.

Bitch please

Wikipedia posted:

The An-72 has STOL capabilities: its takeoff roll is 620 metres and its landing run is 420 metres.[5] This aircraft was designed to be used on unprepared surfaces: its robust undercarriage and high-flotation tyres allow operations on sand, grass or other unpaved surfaces.

http://www.beriev.com/eng/Be-200_e/Be-200_e.html posted:

Take-off distance (water/land), m
1000/700
Landing distance (water/land), m
1300/1050

(The Be-200 is also loving awesome. It's like the ex-Soviets never ask whether something should be done, only if it can be done)

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

Best looking British plane

fite me

Nah man, nah. Mossie's great and all but DH.88.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sagebrush posted:

Britain's first supersonic fighter, and not only could it reach Mach 2, but even the first prototype could supercruise just above Mach 1, and later versions could reportedly hit 1.3 without the afterburner. Not too bad for a design that predates the Warsaw Pact

Also had a pretty fantastic climb rate, it was one of the best fighters for intercepting Concordes at cruise altitude.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

The same for :canada: but the difference between the Lightning and Arrow is that the Arrow never made it to proper production and AFAIK Englishmen don't lament how a Mk.X version could have loving flown to the moon and back, and would still be an active top of the line aircraft today.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love a de Havilland Dove. It's like a leisure Mosquito.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sam Hall posted:

Posting pics from Crimson Skies universe is cheating

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gibfender posted:

One of my favourite parts of going to Duxford is the row of 50s-70s British airliners they have on display:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_at_the_Imperial_War_Museum_Duxford#Duxford_Aviation_Society

e: here's an album of the photos i took last time i was there https://imgur.com/a/SD9Jw

Yeah, the flight-line at Duxford is great. I have a 'thing' for the VC10 - I think it's one of the best-looking airliners (perhaps best-looking aircraft) ever made. Although the Britannia that's next to the VC10 at Duxford is a close runner. '

if you go to Brooklands you can go around the Sultan of Oman's personal VC10, which is 62 tons of marquetry wood, brown velour and gold lamé curtains and probably another four tons in Sony Trinitron TVs.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I haven’t been to Duxford in years. Which is dumb, because it’s less than half an hour away. Thanks for reminding me to get my butt in gear and go!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Posting pics from Crimson Skies universe is cheating

Game idea: IL-2 engine, Crimson Skies-ish universe. 20s and 30s blimps and racers, pirate factions, alpine and tropical terrain, carriers as lairs, etc. Ground troops, think Mad Max does Duesenberg. If someone has a big fortune to invest on software development, we could make a small fortune out of this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ola posted:

Game idea: IL-2 engine, Crimson Skies-ish universe. 20s and 30s blimps and racers, pirate factions, alpine and tropical terrain, carriers as lairs, etc. Ground troops, think Mad Max does Duesenberg. If someone has a big fortune to invest on software development, we could make a small fortune out of this.

Just poo poo out a kickstarter. Way, way worse (and less practical) ideas have been funded.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wanna photoshop this so they're making a run in the Death Star trench.

Right genre, but wrong film:

:gary:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ola posted:

I'll buy 5 copies and or the stupidest Kickstarter level I can afford.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Itzena posted:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

The same for :canada: but the difference between the Lightning and Arrow is that the Arrow never made it to proper production and AFAIK Englishmen don't lament how a Mk.X version could have loving flown to the moon and back, and would still be an active top of the line aircraft today.

No, we have the TSR-2 for that :britain: You come across the occasional bitter Comet or Trident enthusiast as well, because they were going to rule the world and then we gave all the secrets to :argh:BOEING:argh:

Brovine posted:

I haven’t been to Duxford in years. Which is dumb, because it’s less than half an hour away. Thanks for reminding me to get my butt in gear and go!

The 'it's just down the road, I can go any time' syndrome is a devil. I went to Duxford every couple of years when I lived in Portsmouth (3.5 hours)and the Shuttleworth Collection (similar) but never went to Brooklands (1 hour). Then I moved up to Peterborough (1 hour from Duxford) and in the seven years I've been here I've been to there once and never to the Shuttleworth. But I've been to Brooklands about half a dozen times.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Itzena posted:

I forgot how bad the fighters in that movie were.

Chris Roberts is real bad at Space Opera.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

Chris Roberts is real bad at Space Opera.

Chris Robers is really bad at lots of things

Ola posted:

I'm interested in the terrain. Mediterranean-ish? I've never played Crimson Skies, but I'm picturing lots of aircraft, somewhat customizable like in Interstate '76.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Chris Roberts is really bad at lots of things

Getting dumb nerds to give him lots of money is not one of those things!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Chris Robers is really bad at lots of things

I'm interested in the terrain. Mediterranean-ish? I've never played Crimson Skies, but I'm picturing lots of aircraft, somewhat customizable like in Interstate '76.

Yes, definitely upgradeable, customizable planes.

Crimson Skies had small isolated levels, a volcano type island, Hollywood and some other stuff. I would like something like GTA where there are big changes over small distances, like alps on one side of the map and jungle on the other. Just something that is cool as hell to fly over. And arcade/simulation difficulty setting so you could either just play it like GTA/Crimson Skies or you could mess with carb heat and magnetos and fly by dead reckoning in poor visibility over the pirate jungle, nervous about the engine quitting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

Yes, definitely upgradeable, customizable planes.

Crimson Skies had small isolated levels, a volcano type island, Hollywood and some other stuff. I would like something like GTA where there are big changes over small distances, like alps on one side of the map and jungle on the other. Just something that is cool as hell to fly over. And arcade/simulation difficulty setting so you could either just play it like GTA/Crimson Skies or you could mess with carb heat and magnetos and fly by dead reckoning in poor visibility over the pirate jungle, nervous about the engine quitting.

I heard the latest Zelda game sorta redefined the genre, so let's make it like that*

*has played neither of the games in question, is still thinking about Interstate '76 mechanics

Somebody message Rope Kid, I might be a good Video Game exec

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Jonny Nox posted:

I forgot how bad the fighters in that movie were.
And now you know that they butchered a Lightning for every one of those props, too.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ola posted:

I would pre-order this game and all DLC so loving fast...even if you just did the Crimson Skies rebuilt on the IL-2 1946 engine it would be amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Itzena posted:

And now you know that they butchered a Lightning for every one of those props, too.

Is there no end to Croberts' crimes?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Sam Hall posted:

Beat me to it
Only £5000 new in 1934

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Ola posted:

Soo... Tale Spin, the video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

boxen posted:

Soo... Tale Spin, the video game?

The Sea Duck will always be my favorite fictional plane.