Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

I DD a Focus RS that wears Cup 2s in the summer, and they are very capable in the rain. You would only have problems hitting standing water at significant speed. I've never felt unsafe or not in control (except for that one time last year where it snowed in May. That was sketchy).

They're insane. I take corners like a grandma on my winter tires because I'm so used to taking corners at speeds that would put my car in a wall with normal tires and I don't have a feel for the limits. I've only ever gotten the back tires out once and that took a hell of a lot of doing.

This is where it’s at. My GTI has PSS and it takes some extra dumb moves to get it breaking traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I really liked my super sports on my R when I had it. Good tires are so, so worth it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've run through a couple sets of Michelin PSS on my E46. They are such good performance street tires. Fantastic in dry and wet as long as it's not freezing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah PSS' are so good in all weather types and last so long (for something that performs that well) that I'm not sure I'd ever need Cup 2's on a car that isn't seeing a bunch of track days.

Just need to wear down the Solus' that came on my Speed3 a little bit farther and it'll be PSS time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

While not necessarily a hot hatch, I need to get tyres for my girlfriends Toyota Echo. it currently has "may run" tyres on it that are 'new' but also have a compound so hard Im not sure they ever actually wear out.

I really like RE003s on my evo, is it worth putting such a hot tyre on such a slow car though? more than anything I want it to have exceptional braking performance because its scary easy to lock up even in dry conditions on these lovely chinese tyres.

so, RE003s or something a little down market? I would assume even going with a good brands lovely tyre is better than whats on there currently.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I put PSS on my Legacy. I drive pretty normally with a backroad blast every now and again but no track use...how long can I expect them to last?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i own every Bionicle posted:

I put PSS on my Legacy. I drive pretty normally with a backroad blast every now and again but no track use...how long can I expect them to last?

I got a set on my Mustang in June of 2015, at 26,000 miles. Hit 50,000 miles yesterday, they're still fine. I mostly do street and highway driving, never sustaining anything over 85 mph. They're great in dry and rain, but I don't drive below 40°F / 4°C basically ever (Miami).

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I got a set on my Mustang in June of 2015, at 26,000 miles. Hit 50,000 miles yesterday, they're still fine. I mostly do street and highway driving, never sustaining anything over 85 mph. They're great in dry and rain, but I don't drive below 40°F / 4°C basically ever (Miami).

Cool thanks. It’s a summer car for me. So it’s in for the winter right now. I don’t think you’re supposed to let them get below 20F

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

40°f is the lower limit for a soft summer tire. I know the riken raptors I have on my mazda get grumpy around 45° outside until I get them warmed up.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The Cup 2’s on the RS feel like the loving Konami code driving on the street. I can literally take a 90 degree corner at 35 mph and not even get a minor squeal from them. My passenger on the other hand made up for the lack of tire squeal...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

The Cup 2’s on the RS feel like the loving Konami code driving on the street. I can literally take a 90 degree corner at 35 mph and not even get a minor squeal from them. My passenger on the other hand made up for the lack of tire squeal...

Not empty quoting.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Laserface posted:

While not necessarily a hot hatch, I need to get tyres for my girlfriends Toyota Echo. it currently has "may run" tyres on it that are 'new' but also have a compound so hard Im not sure they ever actually wear out.

I really like RE003s on my evo, is it worth putting such a hot tyre on such a slow car though? more than anything I want it to have exceptional braking performance because its scary easy to lock up even in dry conditions on these lovely chinese tyres.

so, RE003s or something a little down market? I would assume even going with a good brands lovely tyre is better than whats on there currently.

I put RE003s on my old Mazda 3 Neo auto. While overkill it was definitely better than the middle of the road Goodyear's that were in it previously. Made braking and cornering a lot more confident

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Can confirm super sports are probably way more tire than I need on the street. The only squeel I've gotten out of them short of actual skids is taking an off ramp at 60mph. On a lighter car they probably would have still been quiet.

Also I got caught in a really bad downpour on the freeway once and they performed better than the all seasons the car came with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Huh, Lincoln may be replacing the MKX with a new face, "Nautilus".

Not sure what I think of the name, but thank god it's a name and not a spoonful of alphagetti.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Not sure what I think of the name, but thank god it's a name and not a spoonful of alphagetti.

Just as long as those godawful door handles from the Continental don't get carried along.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would buy a Lincoln LMNOP

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Surprised no one has mentioned the C&D Stinger GT instrumented test yet. It's uh, a lot faster than I had expected, but then C&D always seems to get crazy numbers out of cars, it's enough to make me wonder if it's a ringer. if this wasn't just a freak car it makes me think the Stinger GT's power figures are underrated in a similar manner as some German cars are often suspected of being.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.6 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 22.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (gov ltd, mfr's claim): 167 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Elem7 posted:

Surprised no one has mentioned the C&D Stinger GT instrumented test yet. It's uh, a lot faster than I had expected, but then C&D always seems to get crazy numbers out of cars, it's enough to make me wonder if it's a ringer. if this wasn't just a freak car it makes me think the Stinger GT's power figures are underrated in a similar manner as some German cars are often suspected of being.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.6 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 22.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (gov ltd, mfr's claim): 167 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

Based on my subjective butt dyno those numbers sound about right.

Drove another Giulia QV on Monday on the Angeles Creat Highway. Goddamn that car is sooo good. Still don’t know if I can recommend it given the reliability concerns but if you’re brave it’s a must-buy. (The $40k rwd Ti is also very very good.)

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Why do manufacturers underrate their cars at all? Is it just to give a huge margin of error for individual engines or does having more HP change the way a car is sold (like maybe more HP in a minivan = lower sales?).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

eriddy posted:

Why do manufacturers underrate their cars at all? Is it just to give a huge margin of error for individual engines or does having more HP change the way a car is sold (like maybe more HP in a minivan = lower sales?).

In some places HP are directly linked to taxes so car manufacturers tend to get a nice number that covers manufacturing variances and tax brackets, same with engine displacement.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

drat that is gorgeous IMO. I'm a big fan of this platform though. Comfortable, good packaging, good engine choices. It's boring, but I love our 2011 Edge.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

eriddy posted:

THe magazine test cars are ringers.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

angryhampster posted:

drat that is gorgeous IMO. I'm a big fan of this platform though. Comfortable, good packaging, good engine choices. It's boring, but I love our 2011 Edge.

My beef with the MKX was always the front end...this new one is a lot better.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2019 Infiniti QX50 CUV SUV thing will have their new super cool variable compression ratio engine

https://newatlas.com/2019-infiniti-...9959d9-91915089

But 268 hp and 26 mpg doesn’t seem that impressive to me :shrug:

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 29, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I've suggested a used MKX (or now perhaps Nautilus) to my wife for her next vehicle. (She was spoiled after riding around in a relative's A8 with massaging seats).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i own every Bionicle posted:

2019 Infiniti QX50 CUV thing will have their new super cool variable compression ratio engine

https://newatlas.com/2019-infiniti-...9959d9-91915089

But 268 hp and 26 mpg doesn’t seem that impressive to me :shrug:

not bad for a vehicle of that size and weight though

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BraveUlysses posted:

not bad for a vehicle of that size and weight though

Oh you’re right. I thought it was the little QX-30 thing that they share with Mercedes but it’s the full sized vehicle. That’s not bad then.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New mazda6 will have more stiched leather in the interior, turbo engine but auto only.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Throatwarbler posted:

New mazda6 will have more stiched leather in the interior, turbo engine but auto only.

Oh COME ON

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subaru is putting a 2.4 liter turbo flat 4 into their new gigantor SUV.

Imagine what else they're gonna put that engine into.....like some sort of......other.... CVT-only......suv

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Saw the release. Got all excited. Saw the article. Read a bit more. Got even more excited.

Then they go and gently caress it all up with weird transmission choices.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The NA 2.5 was auto-only to start in the 3, too.

You have to give a company like Mazda the benefit of the doubt. One, they're small and can't do everything all at once. Two, if anyone is going to put a stick in something with even the smallest business case and most optimistic take rate, it's them.

Fortunately, it's a really good auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The NA 2.5 was auto-only to start in the 3, too.

That’s market dependent, the 2.5 is the only 3 available with a manual in my part of the world.

Japan gets some interesting manual/diesel/AWD combinations but I don’t imagine the take rate is high (I’ve never seen a grey import).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm curious if the auto-only turbo decision is engine based or region based.

As mentioned before you can get a GT trim with a stick in Canada where you can't in the US. That's with the same engine, though so :shrug:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

As mentioned before you can get a GT trim with a stick in Canada where you can't in the US. That's with the same engine, though so :shrug:

They have manuals around that can handle it. So I'd think it's market based in that it's not worth certifying and building the manual version for low take rates.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the CX-5 diesel ever coming?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the tune is exactly the same as the CX-9 which seems odd

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Looks like the tune is exactly the same as the CX-9 which seems odd

310lb-ft of torque in a FWD sedan sounds ridiculous and awesome; I'd go for it. I can't help but think that AWD would be a popular option though, especially in snowy states. A lot of the ecoboost Fusions I saw when I was shopping for my current car were equipped with AWD (an option I didn't want to pay for either upfront or via the added cost of reduced fuel economy).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gotta believe the US has one of like the lowest take rates for MT cars... seems like a pure enthusiast thing here

used to be the MT on a cheap stripper model econo-box would shave off 800-1k $ but I'm not sure if that's true anymore as enough people have to actually want to (or be willing to) drive MT to make the numbers work. Low enough sales and I'd imagine they go "gently caress it; we're not going through the process to produce a separate model"

Bummer about the 6 with the Fun Engine but maybe it'll happen eventually

Mental Hospitality posted:

310lb-ft of torque in a FWD sedan sounds ridiculous and awesome; I'd go for it. I can't help but think that AWD would be a popular option though, especially in snowy states. A lot of the ecoboost Fusions I saw when I was shopping for my current car were equipped with AWD (an option I didn't want to pay for either upfront or via the added cost of reduced fuel economy).

AWD, the CX-9 engine, an actual MT, some fiddling with the suspension...Mazdaspeed6 2.0

Mazda doesn't seem super-interested in building Speed-variants right now though.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I can't fault them at all for not offering a MT. The market for an upscale-ish but not performance oriented midsize sedan with a MT has to be absolutely minuscule.

My Abarth is a MT but it's my secondary (wellt third...ondary) car and at this point I probably wouldn't buy a MT if I only had one car I had to commute in. It would have to be something super fun and sporty for me to consider it.